Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 104 of 217 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 5422
  1. #2576
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbalke View Post
    Randy, I have to agree wwith the majority; grab the LTD from the bike shop. That being said, that Herc sure does look to be in pretty nice shape.

    As far as buying both, who ever heard of anyone having more than one 3 speed?? Just hard to imagine that. Oh what the Hell, buy them both and submit to the addiction.
    Ha! Yeah, who in their right mind would have two (or, say, five, six...) 3 speeds?!

    As soon as I have one (or two!), I'll post up some photos (not that folks here haven't seen plenty of these bikes before).

    Thanks for all your help.

  2. #2577
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Aberdale! 1950-something?

    Hello,

    I am doing my best to figure out posting of photographs (size, quantity) and ask for your patience. Here are some shots that I hope you enjoy. I certainly welcome any feedback on how I put this message and images together.

    I am really enjoying the labels, like "featherweight" and "Bonderized", and that gold script. Also interesting to me are the brakes. The front has a part that wraps around the fork. The rear has tabs that seem like they belong on the front to keep the caliper from knuckling under the fork. Maybe I am misunderstanding. Anyway, I'm trying to get in touch with another Aberdale owner and will share any information they can give me.

    Thoughts on this bike's history or future? My plan is to get it riding, finding a new post, saddle, and grips. As for the fork my thoughts are to substitute another and put the old one on a shelf, or perhaps to straighten, if this bike is less common. If I straighten it could a framebuilder reinforce it somehow?

    As you can see the bike is in pretty rough shape. In any case, hope this is an interesting addition to the thread and thanks!

    EDIT: Ah, I get the brakes now. Why don't we see this on more caliper brakes, especially longer-reach?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Super.bee; 10-07-11 at 12:16 PM.

  3. #2578
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who want to see it, my first English 3-speed: 1974 AMF-Hercules! https://picasaweb.google.com/randybr...49357163037602

    Thanks to all of you who helped me evaluate the different bikes I was looking at and my options. I picked this one up yesterday for $120 from a very nice guy I met via craigslist. It needs a bit of work (which I can't do myself), so I won't be able to ride it until my LBS finishes with it. I'm having them do a full tune up, true the wheels, put new brake pads on, etc. But the shifter, cables, brakes, and everything else seemed like it worked fine, so I don't think it'll be an expensive job getting it ready to ride. Plus, the paint, chrome, grips, tires, and saddle were all in pretty good condition. Once I have more money, I might consider switching the wheels out for alloy rims (and adding some creme tires) and getting a larger rear cog for easier gearing (it's hilly where I live, in Chapel Hill, NC), and putting on a leather Brooks. But one thing at a time. Oh, and I think I'm going to buy #2 from a different LBS this weekend--a 23" (the Hercules is a 21"). This will let me see which size I like better, I figure, and I can use one bike as my everyday commuter and the other as a loaner for friends who visit, etc.

    Oh, and does anyone know where (other than Harris Cyclery, which charges min. $8.50 shipping) I can get one of those little oil caps for the S-A hub? My Hercules doesn't have one and I don't want to be leaking oil all over the place.

  4. #2579
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up two S/A hubs 50's/60's era for $6 each.

    Who would have thought 50 years ago when these hubs were produced that I'd be able to purchase them, fully-operable, for the price of a cup of coffee?

    What has the world come to?
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  5. #2580
    Wood David Newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, Tx
    My Bikes
    India Hercules Scorcher. Raleigh Sports ladies: hers. Bridgestone 300 single speed: my lovely rider.
    Posts
    2,154
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You PAID MONEY for AW hubs?
    I thought they fell from the sky.
    http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/

  6. #2581
    Member HercRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super.bee View Post
    Hello,

    I am doing my best to figure out posting of photographs (size, quantity) and ask for your patience. Here are some shots that I hope you enjoy. I certainly welcome any feedback on how I put this message and images together.

    I am really enjoying the labels, like "featherweight" and "Bonderized", and that gold script. Also interesting to me are the brakes. The front has a part that wraps around the fork. The rear has tabs that seem like they belong on the front to keep the caliper from knuckling under the fork. Maybe I am misunderstanding. Anyway, I'm trying to get in touch with another Aberdale owner and will share any information they can give me.

    Thoughts on this bike's history or future? My plan is to get it riding, finding a new post, saddle, and grips. As for the fork my thoughts are to substitute another and put the old one on a shelf, or perhaps to straighten, if this bike is less common. If I straighten it could a framebuilder reinforce it somehow?

    As you can see the bike is in pretty rough shape. In any case, hope this is an interesting addition to the thread and thanks!

    EDIT: Ah, I get the brakes now. Why don't we see this on more caliper brakes, especially longer-reach?
    That is a sweet bike; looking forward to more shots as you get it cleaned up and upgraded. Looks like the paint on the frame is in good shape, and I'll bet a lot of the metal work can be cleaned of rust.

    Quote Originally Posted by el_spumante View Post
    For those who want to see it, my first English 3-speed: 1974 AMF-Hercules! https://picasaweb.google.com/randybr...49357163037602

    Thanks to all of you who helped me evaluate the different bikes I was looking at and my options. I picked this one up yesterday for $120 from a very nice guy I met via craigslist. It needs a bit of work (which I can't do myself), so I won't be able to ride it until my LBS finishes with it. I'm having them do a full tune up, true the wheels, put new brake pads on, etc. But the shifter, cables, brakes, and everything else seemed like it worked fine, so I don't think it'll be an expensive job getting it ready to ride. Plus, the paint, chrome, grips, tires, and saddle were all in pretty good condition. Once I have more money, I might consider switching the wheels out for alloy rims (and adding some creme tires) and getting a larger rear cog for easier gearing (it's hilly where I live, in Chapel Hill, NC), and putting on a leather Brooks. But one thing at a time. Oh, and I think I'm going to buy #2 from a different LBS this weekend--a 23" (the Hercules is a 21"). This will let me see which size I like better, I figure, and I can use one bike as my everyday commuter and the other as a loaner for friends who visit, etc.

    Oh, and does anyone know where (other than Harris Cyclery, which charges min. $8.50 shipping) I can get one of those little oil caps for the S-A hub? My Hercules doesn't have one and I don't want to be leaking oil all over the place.
    So your decision is to buy both? I think everyone will agree that that is the best of all possible choices.

    That Hercules looks to be in great shape and you got a solid deal on it, IMO. Make sure you post pics when you pick the LTD up; and give your thoughts on how each one fits. I have the same issue with no cap on my SA hub, and haven't found anywhere else for the cap(except for eBay-usually a more expensive NOS or used one). Just ordered one, in fact.

  7. #2582
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HercRider View Post
    That is a sweet bike; looking forward to more shots as you get it cleaned up and upgraded. Looks like the paint on the frame is in good shape, and I'll bet a lot of the metal work can be cleaned of rust.


    So your decision is to buy both? I think everyone will agree that that is the best of all possible choices.

    That Hercules looks to be in great shape and you got a solid deal on it, IMO. Make sure you post pics when you pick the LTD up; and give your thoughts on how each one fits. I have the same issue with no cap on my SA hub, and haven't found anywhere else for the cap(except for eBay-usually a more expensive NOS or used one). Just ordered one, in fact.
    That Hercules looks to be in great shape and you got a solid deal on it, IMO. Make sure you post pics when you pick the LTD up; and give your thoughts on how each one fits. I have the same issue with no cap on my SA hub, and haven't found anywhere else for the cap(except for eBay-usually a more expensive NOS or used one). Just ordered one, in fact.[/QUOTE]

    Thanks! Yeah, I sort of thought having two Raleighs wouldn't be a strange idea to this crowd, ha. To make a long story short, I got interested in the old English 3 speeds after having looked at Linus bikes and other similar brands in my search for a reliable, upright sitting position commuter, and when I realized how much new bikes cost vs. how much vintage ones cost (even with tons of "upgrades"), I realized I could probably get a BETTER bike with more character for maybe half the price of a new bike. If nothing else, it made justifying buying TWO bikes that much easier. ;-)

    I'll post photos of the LTD when I have it (perhaps tomorrow afternoon?).

    Too bad about the cap issue. I wonder if anyone has found a DIY solution that works? I knew electrical or duct tape might work, but how ugly. I might follow your lead and order one.

  8. #2583
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If an AW hub fell from the sky it would bend the flanges when it hit the ground (either that or it'd kill someone if it hit them...)
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  9. #2584
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall someone using a plastic Presta valve cap as a stopgap replacement oil cap. Just screw it in tapered end first. Works fine on one I have and stays put as opposed to tape.

  10. #2585
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by folderfan550 View Post
    I recall someone using a plastic Presta valve cap as a stopgap replacement oil cap. Just screw it in tapered end first. Works fine on one I have and stays put as opposed to tape.
    Thanks, I'll have to try that.

  11. #2586
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harris Cyclery sells the oil caps for $1.95 each. This is not really a hardship IMHO. Maybe a bit expensive for a .01g item, but I tend to replace them on every bike I restore (along with the fulcrum sleeve) as it is just the right thing to do. These plastic parts always seem to break when a 40+ year old bike is put back into daily use again.
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  12. #2587
    Senior Member auchencrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    10,013
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super.bee View Post
    Hello,

    I am doing my best to figure out posting of photographs (size, quantity) and ask for your patience. Here are some shots that I hope you enjoy. I certainly welcome any feedback on how I put this message and images together.

    I am really enjoying the labels, like "featherweight" and "Bonderized", and that gold script. Also interesting to me are the brakes. The front has a part that wraps around the fork. The rear has tabs that seem like they belong on the front to keep the caliper from knuckling under the fork. Maybe I am misunderstanding. Anyway, I'm trying to get in touch with another Aberdale owner and will share any information they can give me.

    Thoughts on this bike's history or future? My plan is to get it riding, finding a new post, saddle, and grips. As for the fork my thoughts are to substitute another and put the old one on a shelf, or perhaps to straighten, if this bike is less common. If I straighten it could a framebuilder reinforce it somehow?

    As you can see the bike is in pretty rough shape. In any case, hope this is an interesting addition to the thread and thanks!

    EDIT: Ah, I get the brakes now. Why don't we see this on more caliper brakes, especially longer-reach?

    Hi Superbee - welcome to C&V.

    The Aberdale is not so commonly seen here - there is a little information on them on the web - They started manufacture in 1919 and ceased in 1959 - So your bike is certainly 50's or older. Sorry I can't be more finite than that - (I'm not so good at dating things without the help of a dated rear SA hub.)

    At first glance I thought your bars were replacements - more American style than English, but I came upon another, supposedly 30's Sturmey Archer equipped model for sale with the same bars. I think you have some good material for a project there - with some historical interest and one which is certainly unique.

    You are correct by the way about the stops on the brake pad holders. - They were intended to prevent them from submarining under the seat stays. Very British you know .







    - Auchen

  13. #2588
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amesja View Post
    Harris Cyclery sells the oil caps for $1.95 each. This is not really a hardship IMHO. Maybe a bit expensive for a .01g item, but I tend to replace them on every bike I restore (along with the fulcrum sleeve) as it is just the right thing to do. These plastic parts always seem to break when a 40+ year old bike is put back into daily use again.
    The $1.95 isn't the problem--it's the $8.50 on top of that for shipping. I'll look around locally and see if I can find one.

  14. #2589
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,342
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_spumante View Post
    The $1.95 isn't the problem--it's the $8.50 on top of that for shipping. I'll look around locally and see if I can find one.
    I wonder if one of these might work?

    http://www.mcmaster.com/#oil-caps/=eeir9i


  15. #2590
    Senior Member gbalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West of St. Louis
    My Bikes
    (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    Posts
    854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_spumante View Post
    For those who want to see it, my first English 3-speed: 1974 AMF-Hercules! https://picasaweb.google.com/randybr...49357163037602

    Oh, and does anyone know where (other than Harris Cyclery, which charges min. $8.50 shipping) I can get one of those little oil caps for the S-A hub? My Hercules doesn't have one and I don't want to be leaking oil all over the place.
    Congrats Randy and welcome to the asylum. I'm sure that Herc will gives you years of enjoyment. As far as the oil cap for your hub, since your bike shop is working on the Herc, let them get one for you. You may pay a bit more than the $1.95 from harris, but you won't be paying that shipping cost.
    1968 Robin Hood 3 speed...1970's Raleigh Sports Pathracer
    1972 Raleigh Sports............1973 Raleigh Sports
    1974 Raleigh Grand Prix......1974 Raleigh Grand Prix (made in Holland)
    1969 Peugeot UO-18...........1971 Peugeot UO-8
    1980's Giant Project.............2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    1971 German 3 speed.........1977 Motobecane Super Mirage Mixte
    1970 Raleigh Twenty...........1972 Raleigh Sports (donor bike)
    1954 Humber Sports (my newest project)

  16. #2591
    Senior Member brianinc-ville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by folderfan550 View Post
    I recall someone using a plastic Presta valve cap as a stopgap replacement oil cap. Just screw it in tapered end first. Works fine on one I have and stays put as opposed to tape.
    That's a good idea. FWIW, I've cut a stopper out of a rubber pencil eraser, and wedged it on so that one corner of the stopper is held down by a spoke. Not elegant, but it doesn't fall out.

  17. #2592
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbalke View Post
    Congrats Randy and welcome to the asylum. I'm sure that Herc will gives you years of enjoyment. As far as the oil cap for your hub, since your bike shop is working on the Herc, let them get one for you. You may pay a bit more than the $1.95 from harris, but you won't be paying that shipping cost.
    Thanks, Gary! Good suggestion. I actually just my local shop to ask about the oil cap and they said they probably had one lying around (or could get one easily enough). I also asked them to do two other things I hadn't originally planned: lower the gearing (w/ a 22T cog) and put the salmon Kool Stops I've heard so much about (instead of generic pads). There are a number of moderate hills around so I think I'll get my money's worth out of lowered gearing and better braking power.

    The LTD from the other bike shop actually didn't work out. It wasn't in as good as shape as I would have liked, and $175 seemed like too much to spend for a bike I was going to have to do several things to. On the bright side, that leave me with more money to spend on my Herc!

  18. #2593
    Senior Member gbalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West of St. Louis
    My Bikes
    (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    Posts
    854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amesja View Post
    Just picked up two S/A hubs 50's/60's era for $6 each.

    Who would have thought 50 years ago when these hubs were produced that I'd be able to purchase them, fully-operable, for the price of a cup of coffee?

    What has the world come to?
    I hate you!!

    OK, I really didn't meat that. I've been searching for a 1954 dated S/A hub for the past year or more for my '54 Humber restoration. I just missed one on e-Bay last week.

    Post some pics and your address and when you'll be away for a good length of time. Let's see, 5 hrs to drive from St. Louis to Chicago, 1 hr driving around aimlessly; it is Chicago, 20 minutes seeing if the coast is clear........

    Seriously, great find there. What date stamps are on the hubs?
    1968 Robin Hood 3 speed...1970's Raleigh Sports Pathracer
    1972 Raleigh Sports............1973 Raleigh Sports
    1974 Raleigh Grand Prix......1974 Raleigh Grand Prix (made in Holland)
    1969 Peugeot UO-18...........1971 Peugeot UO-8
    1980's Giant Project.............2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    1971 German 3 speed.........1977 Motobecane Super Mirage Mixte
    1970 Raleigh Twenty...........1972 Raleigh Sports (donor bike)
    1954 Humber Sports (my newest project)

  19. #2594
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,765
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    gbalke - I have a 54 AW hub that is smooth as silk... but it won't be going anywhere as it will go back in the Raleigh it came from when I build up a new wheel for it.

    Don't see many 50's hubs as I do not see many 50's bikes and when I do, they are coming in for tune ups... it was in the mid 50's that SA briefly discontinued the AW and replace it with the flawed SW which would have then been replaced with spare AW hubs.

    Might explain why Aw hubs from the mid fifties tend to be a little scarce compared to 40's and 60's hubs (which are abundant).

  20. #2595
    Senior Member gbalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West of St. Louis
    My Bikes
    (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    Posts
    854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    gbalke - I have a 54 AW hub that is smooth as silk... but it won't be going anywhere as it will go back in the Raleigh it came from when I build up a new wheel for it.
    I hate you too!!

    OK, I really didn't meat that either.

    Post some pics of the finished wheel and your address and when you'll be away for a good length of time. Let's see, 15 hrs to drive from St. Louis to Canadian border, 1 hr arguing with border oficials because I now need a passport which I don't have, 15 hrs to drive back to St. Louis still in need of a 1954 dated S/A hub.

    I need a new hobby!!
    1968 Robin Hood 3 speed...1970's Raleigh Sports Pathracer
    1972 Raleigh Sports............1973 Raleigh Sports
    1974 Raleigh Grand Prix......1974 Raleigh Grand Prix (made in Holland)
    1969 Peugeot UO-18...........1971 Peugeot UO-8
    1980's Giant Project.............2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike
    1971 German 3 speed.........1977 Motobecane Super Mirage Mixte
    1970 Raleigh Twenty...........1972 Raleigh Sports (donor bike)
    1954 Humber Sports (my newest project)

  21. #2596
    Senior Member Fenway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    I wonder if one of these might work?

    http://www.mcmaster.com/#oil-caps/=eeir9i

    Unfortunately McMasterCarr charges the same table rates for shipping as Harris does. Those SA rubber caps are typically ordered from QBP so any shop should be able to get them for you.

    I've thought about drilling and taping the bottom bracket on my 1972 Raleigh to add one of those. Unfortunately I already replaced the bearings and repacked it. After putting a new set of expensive Bikesmith Tools grade A cotters in place too, I'm none to quick to want to take it all apart to add the oiler. =/

  22. #2597
    Senior Member mikeybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Edgewater, CO
    My Bikes
    Tons
    Posts
    2,871
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_spumante View Post
    For those who want to see it, my first English 3-speed: 1974 AMF-Hercules! https://picasaweb.google.com/randybr...49357163037602
    That's a hot 3 speed! Looks just like mine except mine has no chain guard. I would love a chain guard like that.
    My Bikes: 2009 Breezer Uptown EX | 1980 Miyata Six Ten | 1970 Hercules Three-Two-Speed
    Wife's Bikes: 2008 Globe City 7 | 1972ish Peugeot UO-18 (in progress)

  23. #2598
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybikes View Post
    That's a hot 3 speed! Looks just like mine except mine has no chain guard. I would love a chain guard like that.
    Thanks! I was surprised to find one in such good shape. Good luck finding a chain guard.

  24. #2599
    Senior Member sykerocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Montpelier, VA
    My Bikes
    The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
    Posts
    3,809
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the 3-speed front, life just got interesting. Yesterday, I was notified that I won the following eBay auction:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/250904055807...84.m1497.l2648

    Yep, I Cyclo Benelux (claimed) 2-speed derailleur with lever, obviously originally made up for the S-A multi-cog conversion freewheel. I think I may have just found the answer to my complaints about my Ranger being too high geared for my riding area. I've had a Cyclo 3-speed freewheel in my parts box for about three years now, just waiting for something like this to happen. 40 years ago, I had my (then new) Raleigh Sports rigged up with one of these setups utilizing a Huret Allvit derailleur and lever. Seem to remember it worked quite well climbing the hill up Peach Street in Erie so I could get to work. Later transferred the setup to the Twenty that replaced the Sports.

    What's nice is that in the past week, I've gained 131 miles experience with the Cyclo Benelux on my recently restored Lenton Grand Prix (I'd never held one of these derailleurs until I started on this bike - they weren't in use by my bike shop days) and find that it's a nice shifting unit - as long as you don't try shifting on a climb while stomping on the pedals. Action on these old derailleurs is definitely predicated on a light pedal pressure while in action, and planning one's downshift well before the climb.

    Now, if memory is still good: I seem to remember getting around not having a longer S-A axle back then by taking a hacksaw to a S-A right side nut and thinning it down the thickness of the derailleur hanger. I'm tentatively planning the same action here, although the invention of the Dremel tool should make things a lot more delicate and neater. I seem to remember that, at one time, S-A offered a longer axle for conversions of this type but it's been almost 40 years since I last tore down an AW hub, and quite frankly it's the one memory that hasn't transferred through time.

    Any thoughts from anyone else who's done one of these since my last effort would be appreciated.
    Syke

    "No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton

  25. #2600
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,355
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Super.bee, that's an interesting bike. I've never seen one like that.

    And congratulations, el_spumante. After the LBS finishes the job, I recommend you start learning how to do this stuff. A 3-speed is a good learner bike.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Employer: Larry's Freewheeling, 301 W 110 St, New York, NY 10026
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •