Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-11, 07:46 PM   #2801
organbuilder
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes it is an Alvit changer on the '65 chrome Raleigh and it always works fine. My first 3 speed was a Robin Hood with the curved top tube. I had it converted to 9 Speed also, but it was an earlier deraileur with a coiled spring affair. It didn't work as well. That bike was, alas, stolen out of our chicken coop.
organbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 09:00 PM   #2802
photogravity 
Hopelessly addicted...
 
photogravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central Maryland
Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
No, that's my Lambert 'clubman' build. Originally a fifteen speed, but I upgraded it to three. Here's another photo:

Anyway, the Lenton Sports would be off-topic. It's a four speed!
You have far too many really nice English bikes... <sigh> I'll get there one of these days, I suppose!

BTW, what's with the concern of going OT? This thread meanders all over the place.
__________________
--
Ridding the world of derailleurs, one bicycle at a time.

46 Hercules Roadster, 49 Hercules Kestrel, 50 Norman Rapide, 51 Hercules Lion, 52 Hercules Windsor, 56 Hercules Royal Prince, 61 Fiorelli Tandem, 67 Carlton Super Race (IGH), 70 Schwinn Collegiate (IGH), 71 Hercules, 71 STF Hercules, 72 Peugeot PX-8 (IGH), 76 Raleigh Sports, 77 STF Raleigh Sports, 77 Jack Taylor Tandem, Early-80's Mike Appel SC, 84 Davidson Tandem, Late-80's Alpine, 10 Bilenky "BQ" Signature Tandem
photogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 09:35 AM   #2803
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
Posts: 15,739
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogravity View Post
Indeed... Is that your Lenton Sports all fixed up?
Here is the photo to which you allude:


I haven't really ridden it yet... just a couple miles. Cool period correct mudguards that might be too fragile to ride this time of year (they get brittle in the cold) sso perhaps I should change to metal. Haven't actually attached the taillight, either.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 10:09 PM   #2804
yellowbarber
accidental 3 speed geek
 
yellowbarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC, Virginia, Paris, UK
Bikes: 1933 Gibson L-50, prototype Gibson Legends L-00, ca 1900 French Guarneri model, Custom Phil Davidson 2-point mandolin
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
allright now....that is a sweet ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
Here is the photo to which you allude:


I haven't really ridden it yet... just a couple miles. Cool period correct mudguards that might be too fragile to ride this time of year (they get brittle in the cold) sso perhaps I should change to metal. Haven't actually attached the taillight, either.
yellowbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 11:31 PM   #2805
auchencrow 
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Bikes:
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)


That is beautiful, RHM Very much so.
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 06:48 AM   #2806
oldroads
Senior Member
 
oldroads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1969 Raleigh Sports with the Benelux Cyclo derailleur conversion and a leather Brook B-15 saddle.

oldroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 02:44 PM   #2807
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
Here is the photo to which you allude:


I haven't really ridden it yet... just a couple miles. Cool period correct mudguards that might be too fragile to ride this time of year (they get brittle in the cold) sso perhaps I should change to metal. Haven't actually attached the taillight, either.
We can forgive you for needing that extra gear.

In other news... my friend is clearing out his garage and I think I am getting a Moulton F frame (complete) and he has lots of extra bits.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 07:30 PM   #2808
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
Posts: 15,739
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Moulton F-frames are cool. They are the height of bicycle design; after that, things stopped getting better.

I need an extra rear rack, if he has one!

In fact, Sixtyfiver, perhaps you're the man who could make me one? I have the piece of steel that mounts into the frame; the rest is gone. Interested? If so, please contact me privately.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 07:36 PM   #2809
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
Moulton F-frames are cool. They are the height of bicycle design; after that, things stopped getting better.

I need an extra rear rack, if he has one!

In fact, Sixtyfiver, perhaps you're the man who could make me one? I have the piece of steel that mounts into the frame; the rest is gone. Interested? If so, please contact me privately.
pm sent... may very well be a spare rack is his trove of parts too.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-11, 08:10 AM   #2810
55 Traveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, eh?
Bikes: Schwinn: Twinn Sport, Super Sport and Suburban. Raleigh Grand Prix, Competition, and Super Course, plus New Clubman.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
English via Chicago

Hi All, new poster here.

I hope a Schwinn 3 speed is allowed. It seems much in the spirit. This was my Dad's 75 Suburban. I could never get the 5 speed to drop down into low for hills, so I excised a couple of gears from it.

I found a 36 hole AW and laced them up with the usual CR18 rims. B66 cost more than the bike did new, but it is a lifetime investment!

The 22" frame is a little small but works well enough with a long seat post.

Regards,
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suburb close.jpg (102.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg lighthouse.jpg (98.4 KB, 54 views)
55 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-11, 09:18 AM   #2811
markk900
Senior Member
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroads View Post
1969 Raleigh Sports with the Benelux Cyclo derailleur conversion and a leather Brook B-15 saddle.

Love the composition of this picture.....what kind of bars are those?

Also, I have been noting the vast differences in seat angle across the pictures in this thread - tilted forward like here, tilted back like 55 Traveller's Schwinn, and varying degrees of level.....is it truly "whatever is comfortable"?

Mark
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-11, 06:23 PM   #2812
55 Traveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, eh?
Bikes: Schwinn: Twinn Sport, Super Sport and Suburban. Raleigh Grand Prix, Competition, and Super Course, plus New Clubman.
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
Also, I have been noting the vast differences in seat angle across the pictures in this thread - tilted forward like here, tilted back like 55 Traveller's Schwinn, and varying degrees of level.....is it truly "whatever is comfortable"?

Mark
The next "click" down on that seat is dead flat but it felt like I was sliding downhill. I think it is "whats comfortable", but I usually rely on whether it feels "neutral", neither sliding forward nor backwards. I think the best angle can vary with other factors. for example, I've notice a lot of fixies with very low handlebars and the seats tend to be a little downward at the front. This probably makes sense with a really low torso angle.

Regards,
David
55 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-11, 07:33 PM   #2813
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Saddle position / tilt is a highly personal choice and think most seek a neutral position... find that with a B17 or other saddles designed for upright riding having the nose up a degree works best to give me that while my racier saddles get a level set up.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-11, 10:53 PM   #2814
markk900
Senior Member
 
markk900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
65-er - I agree - I find without the slight tilt backward the pressure points are too sharp when sitting more upright, and like 55-traveler I feel like I'm sliding downhill. Its just that with all the photos in this thread the variety of setups is interesting!

Mark
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 01:41 PM   #2815
Super.bee
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried a s3x hub in an old Sports frame? Looks like there's a 5mm difference in OLD, the hub being wider than the dropouts.

This is interesting to me both as a slippery weather bike and also, perhaps, with a freewheel screwed on and a derailer.. kind of a modern-day cyclo kit...

Was 3 spd fixed ever an option on a bike like the Sports or was it really found only on road/racing frames?
Super.bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 02:01 PM   #2816
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
65-er - I agree - I find without the slight tilt backward the pressure points are too sharp when sitting more upright, and like 55-traveler I feel like I'm sliding downhill. Its just that with all the photos in this thread the variety of setups is interesting!

Mark
If you check out "My Bicycles" at my blog you'd see that, of the bikes I have posted that there is some variances between saddle angles on bicycles that all share some pretty common measurements when it comes to fit.

If the bike tends to lean toward more aggressive riding the saddle will be level or even tilted down a notch and for bikes that are for longer and more leisurely rides the noses are ticked up just a little.

I did change the saddle angle on my '51 CCM shortly after I took this picture as I was in the process of dialing this in as erectile dysfunction in a saddle can cause other types of erectile dysfunction.

Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 02:08 PM   #2817
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.bee View Post
Has anyone tried a s3x hub in an old Sports frame? Looks like there's a 5mm difference in OLD, the hub being wider than the dropouts.

This is interesting to me both as a slippery weather bike and also, perhaps, with a freewheel screwed on and a derailer.. kind of a modern-day cyclo kit...

Was 3 spd fixed ever an option on a bike like the Sports or was it really found only on road/racing frames?
The ASC is in itself a very rare hub and as far as I know was never offered on the Raleigh Sports which was typically fitted with the AW save for that brief period when they tried replacing this with the SW in '57 which was a failure... the AW returned in '58.

Have test ridden the S3X and liked it a good deal... would probably be a fine upgrade or refit to a Sports and would appeal to those who abhor coasting.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 03:13 PM   #2818
BigPolishJimmy
Senior Member
 
BigPolishJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray
Posts: 1,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Traveler View Post
Hi All, new poster here.

I hope a Schwinn 3 speed is allowed. It seems much in the spirit. This was my Dad's 75 Suburban. I could never get the 5 speed to drop down into low for hills, so I excised a couple of gears from it.

I found a 36 hole AW and laced them up with the usual CR18 rims. B66 cost more than the bike did new, but it is a lifetime investment!

The 22" frame is a little small but works well enough with a long seat post.

Regards,
David
I don't know if it's allowed, but it's here and I enjoyed seeing it even if slightly off topic.
BigPolishJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 05:03 PM   #2819
Fenway
Senior Member
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://janheine.wordpress.com/2011/1...ght-solutions/
http://www.compasscycle.com/Lighting.html

Drop in LED replacement bulbs with built in stand-lights for vintage tail lights are now available in the US! =)

For those of you unaware of the drop in LED headlight bulbs (without standlight) see http://www.home.earthlink.net/~stein...erchandise.htm

Last edited by Fenway; 12-12-11 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Added more details
Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 05:05 PM   #2820
Super.bee
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
The ASC is in itself a very rare hub and as far as I know was never offered on the Raleigh Sports which was typically fitted with the AW save for that brief period when they tried replacing this with the SW in '57 which was a failure... the AW returned in '58.
Interesting history, thank you. I wonder if it is more forgivable - or less - to create such a machine knowing that it's not a redux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Have test ridden the S3X and liked it a good deal... would probably be a fine upgrade or refit to a Sports and would appeal to those who abhor coasting.
Thank you again, glad to hear it, I am looking forward to trying it but had not found the right bike / opportunity. So how 'tragic' would it be to cold-set an old 3-speed 5mm? The machine in question is a 60s Royal. I have heard of broken axles at the clutch key slot if I try to spring the dropouts open (misaligned ends), but don't know if that's an overstated risk. Anyone?

EDIT: Sorry, I realize I originally / inaccurately said 'Sports'. I guess I was thinking in terms of 'type'.

Last edited by Super.bee; 12-12-11 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Correction
Super.bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 05:20 PM   #2821
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,128
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
It's fine to do that, Super.bee. Just do it.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 05:40 PM   #2822
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
http://janheine.wordpress.com/2011/1...ght-solutions/
http://www.compasscycle.com/Lighting.html

Drop in LED replacement bulbs with built in stand-lights for vintage lights are now available in the US! =)
I am waiting for someone to offer a replacement for the front lights (with some decent output) although that rear replacement is pretty sweet.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 06:18 PM   #2823
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well dangit...

Confirmed that I am indeed getting a complete, albeit disassembled Moulton F series and can also get some nice alloy rims at a fair price but the dang thing comes with an SA FW and not an AW so no three speed love here.

Won't see it until I get back from Portlandia... might be a while until I get it all put together and if it needs a repaint will powder coat it at the shop.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 06:44 PM   #2824
photogravity 
Hopelessly addicted...
 
photogravity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central Maryland
Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
I am waiting for someone to offer a replacement for the front lights (with some decent output) although that rear replacement is pretty sweet.
Have you seen these here? LED Bulb Conversion: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~stein...erchandise.htm

It is supposed to be for headlights, or maybe you already saw it and deemed it inadequate.
__________________
--
Ridding the world of derailleurs, one bicycle at a time.

46 Hercules Roadster, 49 Hercules Kestrel, 50 Norman Rapide, 51 Hercules Lion, 52 Hercules Windsor, 56 Hercules Royal Prince, 61 Fiorelli Tandem, 67 Carlton Super Race (IGH), 70 Schwinn Collegiate (IGH), 71 Hercules, 71 STF Hercules, 72 Peugeot PX-8 (IGH), 76 Raleigh Sports, 77 STF Raleigh Sports, 77 Jack Taylor Tandem, Early-80's Mike Appel SC, 84 Davidson Tandem, Late-80's Alpine, 10 Bilenky "BQ" Signature Tandem
photogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-11, 10:51 PM   #2825
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
Thread Starter
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogravity View Post
Have you seen these here? LED Bulb Conversion: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~stein...erchandise.htm

It is supposed to be for headlights, or maybe you already saw it and deemed it inadequate.
Am waiting for someone to offer a better quality 2W LED... at 1w and 50 lumens that is pretty weak while something akin to a modern 2W Cree bulb will match a 10 Watt halogen and provide around 200 lumens of light.

Good for a tail light but not quite enough for a headlight
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.