Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 142 of 217 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 5424
  1. #3526
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    Here you go:

    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=..._from=&_ipg=50

    Fill it up with generic 20 weight motor oil and you're good to go.
    Both bottles are being sold as empty. But thanks!

  2. #3527
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture update. I added some raleigh fenders to the bike. They are a great fit and look great. Bikes turning into a bit of a rat rod bicycle. IMG_1842_sg.jpg

  3. #3528
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,344
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    Here you go:

    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=..._from=&_ipg=50

    Fill it up with generic 20 weight motor oil and you're good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by antiqueguy View Post
    Both bottles are being sold as empty. But thanks!
    That's why I wrote "Fill it up with generic 20 weight motor oil and you're good to go!"

  4. #3529
    Senior Member brianinc-ville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate View Post
    LOL, that pretty much nails it, thanks. My broad point in posting the two pics of needle oilers is simply that they [needle oilers] are, IMO, an essential piece of gear for this pursuit. And actually a lot more precise than an old SA oil can to boot! IOW, why frop 20-30 bucks for an old SA oiler when these are, in essence, free?
    I made an actually-free one with an empty travel-sized contact lens solution bottle, half of the red straw from a WD-40 can, and a little bit of glue. Works great!

  5. #3530
    Verified Antique
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianinc-ville View Post
    I made an actually-free one with an empty travel-sized contact lens solution bottle, half of the red straw from a WD-40 can, and a little bit of glue. Works great!
    Man I love the way you're thinking here...

    One of my lifetime adult pursuits has been how, in any and every endeavor, to find the best, least expensive way to "skin a cat" [Southernism?, Celtism?, both?]...

    I have a few of the WD-40 straws left over from before they came out with the new "super straw" cans with that flip-up straw on it. Sad to say that I slipped a little bit and threw away the first couple of cans of the "new style" without clipping off the straws for future uses. Duh.

    LOL, thanks, good tip, here's one back atcha: Dollar Tree sells the liquid or the gel Super Glue in 3-packs for.... You guessed it.... $1.00...

  6. #3531
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    That's why I wrote "Fill it up with generic 20 weight motor oil and you're good to go!"
    Oh..

  7. #3532
    Senior Member BRAZUCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 600 / 1984 Schwinn Peloton
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After a couple of years visiting this page and dreaming about having an English 3 speed bicycle, this day became reality today. Patience pays off indeed, I was looking for a Raleigh DL-1 24" frame and I found it on Friday late afternoon, contacted the seller and drove 150 miles ea. way to get a 1974 (74 12 hub) black, pretty much all original with the exception of the seat (even with the original pump). It rode like a dream, smooth, massive 28" wheels and a solid feeling and surprisingly fast. I'm sure I will have many questions, but now, I just want to ride it, these pictures are from the time I arrived back home. It will need a detailed cleaning, a Brooks saddle and some polishing.
    Raleigh1.jpgRaleigh2.jpgRaleigh4.jpgRaleigh6.jpgRaleigh8.jpgRaleigh19.jpgRaleigh22.jpgRaleigh7.jpgRaleigh11.jpgRaleigh12.jpgRaleigh17.jpgRaleigh21.jpg
    Last edited by BRAZUCA; 09-08-12 at 09:54 PM.
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    "Steel is Real"

  8. #3533
    Senior Member BRAZUCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 600 / 1984 Schwinn Peloton
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By the way, my initial questions are:
    1- What Brooks saddle model the 1974 Tourist DL-1 had?
    2- The bike is riding very smooth, but what kind of immediate maintenance or checks I should be doing since I am planning only to detail the bike next Spring?
    3- What do you guys use to clean, degrease and polish your 3 speeds?
    Thank you for any support you can give to someone new with 3 speeds and Raleighs. Now, thinking about my Sunday morning ride.
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    "Steel is Real"

  9. #3534
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,084
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAZUCA View Post
    By the way, my initial questions are:
    1- What Brooks saddle model the 1974 Tourist DL-1 had?
    2- The bike is riding very smooth, but what kind of immediate maintenance or checks I should be doing since I am planning only to detail the bike next Spring?
    3- What do you guys use to clean, degrease and polish your 3 speeds?
    Thank you for any support you can give to someone new with 3 speeds and Raleighs. Now, thinking about my Sunday morning ride.
    1. Depends on the year and the market. 1974 US model came with the B72 according to the pictures in the catalog. Mine is a 1979 and came with the B66 on it. I plan to use a B33 on mine, the B66 has already been snagged for use on my bride's Colt.
    2. Oil in the hubs, and make sure you have brakes.
    3. General clean up I use a mild detergent and warm water, degreaser is a dilute Simple Green or a citrus base. For polishing the paintwork I use Meguiars Scratch X, Chrome, depends on the condition. If it is decent shape something like Turtle Wax Chrome Polish or Simichrome.

    Love the way those old DL-1's roll and keep on rolling once they get moving.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  10. #3535
    Senior Member BRAZUCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 600 / 1984 Schwinn Peloton
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    1. Depends on the year and the market. 1974 US model came with the B72 according to the pictures in the catalog. Mine is a 1979 and came with the B66 on it. I plan to use a B33 on mine, the B66 has already been snagged for use on my bride's Colt.
    2. Oil in the hubs, and make sure you have brakes.
    3. General clean up I use a mild detergent and warm water, degreaser is a dilute Simple Green or a citrus base. For polishing the paintwork I use Meguiars Scratch X, Chrome, depends on the condition. If it is decent shape something like Turtle Wax Chrome Polish or Simichrome.

    Love the way those old DL-1's roll and keep on rolling once they get moving.

    Aaron
    Thank you Aaron for the feedback and suggestions on maintenance. By the way, I was indeed out with the Raleigh when you replied . It is a great bike and the size is just perfect for me!
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    "Steel is Real"

  11. #3536
    Verified Antique
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wahhhh!

    You got my bike.

    [LOL, good lick; I'm sure you'll enjoy that for many years!]

  12. #3537
    Verified Antique
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    1. Depends on the year and the market. 1974 US model came with the B72 according to the pictures in the catalog. Mine is a 1979 and came with the B66 on it. I plan to use a B33 on mine, the B66 has already been snagged for use on my bride's Colt.
    2. Oil in the hubs, and make sure you have brakes.
    3. General clean up I use a mild detergent and warm water, degreaser is a dilute Simple Green or a citrus base. For polishing the paintwork I use Meguiars Scratch X, Chrome, depends on the condition. If it is decent shape something like Turtle Wax Chrome Polish or Simichrome.

    Love the way those old DL-1's roll and keep on rolling once they get moving.

    Aaron
    Hey Aaron what's your opinion on this; I've seen some people say they do this on every bike they get:

    I picked up a women's Robin Hood over the weekend, probably for parts [fenders, crank arms etc.] but it may become a "loaner, rider" and does it then, IYO, make sense to pack the bottom bracket with grease?

  13. #3538
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, CA USA
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't usually do anything with the bottom bracket on these because new QUALITY cotters are so expensive... Unless of course it is all 'crunchy'. Otherwise I do the oil down the seat tube trick and put it off as long as possible...

    DL-1s are my favorite, I think at last count I have owned something like 15 of them. Most find their way to someone else, but every one gets the treatment wahoonc recommends.

  14. #3539
    Get off my lawn! Velognome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Garden State
    My Bikes
    1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
    Posts
    5,164
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FWIW, a little motor oil down the seat tube can soften up old grease. Some of my English bikes have ports in the BB for this ( pre-war generaly have oilers & post war have grease zerks) anyway with the elimination of oilers and zerks, the seat tube makes a wonderful "oil port" . I've often thought of extending the business end of a grease *** 40" or so, just to slip down the seat tube and fill the BB.

  15. #3540
    Senior Member BRAZUCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 600 / 1984 Schwinn Peloton
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate View Post
    Wahhhh!

    You got my bike.

    [LOL, good lick; I'm sure you'll enjoy that for many years!]
    Yes, I will definitely enjoy it for many many years. It's just a great bike, yesterday at 9:30 PM I just took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood, could not go to bed without another ride, haha.
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    "Steel is Real"

  16. #3541
    Senior Member BRAZUCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 600 / 1984 Schwinn Peloton
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velognome View Post
    FWIW, a little motor oil down the seat tube can soften up old grease. Some of my English bikes have ports in the BB for this ( pre-war generaly have oilers & post war have grease zerks) anyway with the elimination of oilers and zerks, the seat tube makes a wonderful "oil port" . I've often thought of extending the business end of a grease *** 40" or so, just to slip down the seat tube and fill the BB.
    This is a nice tip, I have not heard about it. How much oil down the tube?
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    "Steel is Real"

  17. #3542
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,084
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate View Post
    Hey Aaron what's your opinion on this; I've seen some people say they do this on every bike they get:

    I picked up a women's Robin Hood over the weekend, probably for parts [fenders, crank arms etc.] but it may become a "loaner, rider" and does it then, IYO, make sense to pack the bottom bracket with grease?
    I am hard headed, I do repack all my bottom brackets. But the oil down the tube trick is probably good enough for a loaner. I keep a few spare good quality cotters on hand for my bikes. Probably 90% of my bikes have cotter cranks on them Makes owning the BikeSmith cotter press and buying cotters from him a no brainer.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  18. #3543
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,355
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm tempted to put enough oil down the seat tube until it starts oozing out both ends of the spindle. At that point, I will know there's more than enough.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Employer: Larry's Freewheeling, 301 W 110 St, New York, NY 10026
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  19. #3544
    Get off my lawn! Velognome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Garden State
    My Bikes
    1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
    Posts
    5,164
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is a nice tip, I have not heard about it. How much oil down the tube?
    Oozzing...that it does. How much to pour down...not much. Figure enough to run down the tube and make it to the spindle with enough to travel to the bearings.

    Now, I've found 3/4 of a cap full from a 30w motor oil is more than enough, since you don't want a pool of oil in the BB unless you have an oil bath BB and then you would have a port and would have to worry about this. The 3/4 cap is enough to oozzz out the ends of the BB for a day or two for riding without dripping of the floor. I make it a point to wipe the area down after a ride. The oozzing never really completely stops but it is hardly anything after a week.

    The BB's stay smooth, it's fast, easy and as long as you remember to add a little bit every once in a while you should be good.... this is the stuff that keeps the bearings in you car's motor from welding themselves together aftera all.....and I doubt any of our legs can generate anything near that type of heat and stress. Happy motoring...I mean Biking

  20. #3545
    Verified Antique
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velognome View Post
    Now, I've found 3/4 of a cap full from a 30w motor oil is more than enough, since you don't want a pool of oil in the BB unless you have an oil bath BB and then you would have a port and would have to worry about this. The 3/4 cap is enough to oozzz out the ends of the BB for a day or two for riding without dripping of the floor. I make it a point to wipe the area down after a ride. The oozzing never really completely stops but it is hardly anything after a week.

    This sounds like the ticket to me. When you say 3/4 of a cap full what kinda cap are we talking about?

    BTW, turns out that the bike I picked up for "parts" last weekend isn't a Robin Hood; it's a BSA. Built by Raleigh, there are a lot of cheaper but not-at-all-bad parts on it.

    I might still make it into a loaner [for short people as it has a 19.5 inch tube]. This bike spent at least part of its life in Boulder, CO. It's a 1970 model with a 1978 City of Boulder license decal on it.

    Continues to amaze me how well these bikes are built and how uber-durable they are. I don't think this little lady has ever had a wrench on her other than having a tire changed! [back gumwall tire appears to be original!]


    Attachment 272536Attachment 272537Attachment 272538Attachment 272539Attachment 272540Attachment 272541

  21. #3546
    Verified Antique
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    Makes owning the BikeSmith cotter press and buying cotters from him a no brainer.

    Aaron
    Yeah, I definitely see one in my future...

  22. #3547
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,084
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate View Post
    This sounds like the ticket to me. When you say 3/4 of a cap full what kinda cap are we talking about?

    BTW, turns out that the bike I picked up for "parts" last weekend isn't a Robin Hood; it's a BSA. Built by Raleigh, there are a lot of cheaper but not-at-all-bad parts on it.

    I might still make it into a loaner [for short people as it has a 19.5 inch tube]. This bike spent at least part of its life in Boulder, CO. It's a 1970 model with a 1978 City of Boulder license decal on it.

    Continues to amaze me how well these bikes are built and how uber-durable they are. I don't think this little lady has ever had a wrench on her other than having a tire changed! [back gumwall tire appears to be original!]

    19.5" Seat tube isn't short! My bride uses a 17"...or smaller. That bike will fit people up to around 5'-8" or even a bit more. I am 6'-2" with long legs and arms and can ride a Raleigh with a 21" frame, admittedly I have an extended seat post and ta 25" would bit better...

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  23. #3548
    Get off my lawn! Velognome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Garden State
    My Bikes
    1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
    Posts
    5,164
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This sounds like the ticket to me. When you say 3/4 of a cap full what kinda cap are we talking about?
    The cap on the bottle of 30w motor oil I used I'd quess it was about a teaspoon.

    19.5" Seat tube isn't short! My bride uses a 17"...or smaller. That bike will fit people up to around 5'-8" or even a bit more. I am 6'-2" with long legs and arms and can ride a Raleigh with a 21" frame, admittedly I have an extended seat post and ta 25" would bit better...
    Ditto! I've got a 21" Hercules with about 6" of seat post showing. I'm 6'2" and usually ride a 25" but short seat tube is not a problem. More the issue is the Top Tube.
    Last edited by Velognome; 09-12-12 at 06:37 PM.

  24. #3549
    Senior Member _dylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    My Bikes
    1964 Raleigh Sports; 1975 Sekine SHC 270
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time I view this thread I get sufficiently jealous.



    Man, I want an English 3-speed.
    Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. -Mark Twain

  25. #3550
    Senior Member conradpdx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    My Bikes
    70"s Raleigh Superbe, 1959 Murray Vanguard Middle weigh cruiser
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velognome View Post
    Oozzing...that it does. How much to pour down...not much. Figure enough to run down the tube and make it to the spindle with enough to travel to the bearings.

    Now, I've found 3/4 of a cap full from a 30w motor oil is more than enough, since you don't want a pool of oil in the BB unless you have an oil bath BB and then you would have a port and would have to worry about this. The 3/4 cap is enough to oozzz out the ends of the BB for a day or two for riding without dripping of the floor. I make it a point to wipe the area down after a ride. The oozzing never really completely stops but it is hardly anything after a week.

    The BB's stay smooth, it's fast, easy and as long as you remember to add a little bit every once in a while you should be good.... this is the stuff that keeps the bearings in you car's motor from welding themselves together aftera all.....and I doubt any of our legs can generate anything near that type of heat and stress. Happy motoring...I mean Biking
    I pretty much oil mine every time I oil my hubs, hubs gets a couple drops, seat tube gets one full trigger pull from the oil can (I've never measured it). I also kinda run the hose of oil can all the way around the inside of the seat tube as I pull the trigger to help coat it for rust prevention. Haven't had any BB problems, and I think the most that's wept from the BB is a drop or two.

    Of course I can't say for sure it works, I haven't removed the cranks, but I haven't felt the need to grease the BB in two and half years of owning this bike.
    Does having had a vasectomy make me a "fixie"?

    1971 Raleigh Superbe, 1959 Murray Vanguard, 1974 Raleigh Super Course Mark II and a garage full of three speeds now in various states of dis/repair.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •