Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 193 of 221 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,825 of 5508
  1. #4801
    Senior Member Salubrious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMike1983 View Post
    The old Hercules Cycle and Motor Co. literature describes using Asphaltum in their black paint.

    The Raleigh paint also gets my vote for most durable. I've had better luck with it lasting than Schwinn, Columbia, or Peugeot.
    I think that's the same stuff that BSA used to paint their motorbike frames. Really durable and *really* hard to remove. The way I understand British three-speeds, durability was rather high in the list of priorities. That explains why black was such a common color as the black was really tough.

  2. #4802
    Senior Member michael k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Portland,Or
    Posts
    972
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So,with a little reluctants went and picked her up. She was coated with a blackish red oily residue that made the rear wheel look like it had surface rust and the paint dull looking.Quick trip to the self serve car wash for a rinse took care it. 3rd gear has some issues and excessive backpeddling to engage the brake make me wonder if its one reason it looks like it just came out of a time capsule.Friend at the shop said he will rebuild the hub and true the wheel for a twenty. The glue residue from the shop sticker was giving goo-gone,dish soap and rubbing alcohol a run for is money and would just smear it making it worse. A 'Huh who knew' moment the paint sealer made the residue disappear like magic!

    Can someone suggest a seat? This one needs to go,much like riding atop a weeble wobble.

    Quote Originally Posted by michael k View Post


  3. #4803
    gna
    gna is offline
    Count Orlok Member gna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe Frankenbike
    Posts
    1,360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michael k View Post

    Can someone suggest a seat? This one needs to go,much like riding atop a weeble wobble.
    Who's it for? B72S, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory.

  4. #4804
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use a B66 on it.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  5. #4805
    Verified Antique
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michael k View Post
    Can someone suggest a seat? This one needs to go,much like riding atop a weeble wobble.
    Brooks B-66S here: permaco.com

    1. clik on Brooks Saddles in the left column
    2. clik on Tour/Trekk Saddles
    3. scroll down to B-66S @ $69 plus shipping [reasonable]

  6. #4806
    Senior Member oldroads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would have come with a vinyl Brooks
    Vinny - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles - OldRoads.com
    BUY/SELL forum (no fees) - Price Guides - 19 years of archives

  7. #4807
    Senior Member _dylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    My Bikes
    1964 Raleigh Sports; 1975 Sekine
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't been around the boards in a while, but I wanted to show off the fact that my 64 Sports got a girlfriend cut from the same year. Oh--and I think if I had boarded that train it would've taken me to Hogwarts. I should have taken my chances.

    photo%201 - Version 2 2.19.37 PM.jpg
    Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. -Mark Twain

  8. #4808
    Senior Member oldroads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _dylan View Post
    Haven't been around the boards in a while, but I wanted to show off the fact that my 64 Sports got a girlfriend cut from the same year. Oh--and I think if I had boarded that train it would've taken me to Hogwarts. I should have taken my chances.

    photo%201 - Version 2 2.19.37 PM.jpg
    Great combination.
    Vinny - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles - OldRoads.com
    BUY/SELL forum (no fees) - Price Guides - 19 years of archives

  9. #4809
    Junior Member sarahmel.a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    NYC and Hudson Valley
    My Bikes
    an old mtn bike and a new beach cruiser, raleigh superbe, raleigh 71 sport, ross compact, free spirit
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys seem to know your stuff. Could someone please tell me anything you could about these two bikes. I've recently picked up both and I would love to sell them in NYC and then buy myself something decent unless I can make something special of either of these. I don't know much about bikes but this is a new obsession, reading everything that you all have to say. I wish I could become mechanically inclined. bike.jpgSnap 2013-11-04 at 13.25.00.jpg

    thank you! Sarah

  10. #4810
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,209
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The black one looks to be English-made and from the 60's. The blue Ross is probably from the 80's and is American-made.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  11. #4811
    Senior Member erileykc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC (AKA center of the known universe)
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what makes for a 'decent' bike in NYC but these look like fine urban rides. My perspective is from DC so a few million less elbows than The City but still, as long as your rides are not excessively hilly these bikes seem like a good choice. Older bikes are always a theft deterrent in themselves ( that part probably translates well between any city ). Add a rack & panniers as needed and I would be happy with either one - well the mens versions anyway. Ladies frame scare the crap outta me. Always think they're gonna fold up under me but then I'm 200 lbs so I'm always grateful when any bike survives the ride.


    Quote Originally Posted by sarahmel.a View Post
    .... I've recently picked up both and I would love to sell them in NYC and then buy myself something decent unless I can make something special of either of these. … Sarah

  12. #4812
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,209
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good point. I admire the prolific use of English 3-speeds here in NYC. Are you sure you want to trade yours in, sarahmel.a? You could bring it to HUB. They'll get it in excellent running order for you.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  13. #4813
    Senior Member michael k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Portland,Or
    Posts
    972
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahmel.a View Post
    You guys seem to know your stuff. Could someone please tell me anything you could about these two bikes. I've recently picked up both and I would love to sell them in NYC and then buy myself something decent unless I can make something special of either of these. I don't know much about bikes but this is a new obsession, reading everything that you all have to say. I wish I could become mechanically inclined. bike.jpgSnap 2013-11-04 at 13.25.00.jpg

    thank you! Sarah
    The Ross (made by murray?)looks to be in nice condition but is at the bottom quality wise.

  14. #4814
    Upright bars SirMike1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    My Bikes
    Raleighs, Columbias, and Schwinns.
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michael k View Post
    So,with a little reluctants went and picked her up. She was coated with a blackish red oily residue that made the rear wheel look like it had surface rust and the paint dull looking.Quick trip to the self serve car wash for a rinse took care it. 3rd gear has some issues and excessive backpeddling to engage the brake make me wonder if its one reason it looks like it just came out of a time capsule.Friend at the shop said he will rebuild the hub and true the wheel for a twenty. The glue residue from the shop sticker was giving goo-gone,dish soap and rubbing alcohol a run for is money and would just smear it making it worse. A 'Huh who knew' moment the paint sealer made the residue disappear like magic!

    Can someone suggest a seat? This one needs to go,much like riding atop a weeble wobble.
    As Vinny says, a vinyl saddle would have been original to that vintage. Raleigh eventually converted its utility bicycle line to vinyl. I would go with a B66 or B66S depending on your preference, though a Brooks vinyl mattress saddle is actually among the better vinyl saddles of that era. I had one on an export model Raleigh that actually wasn't half bad. But I still like the 66 best.

    Quote Originally Posted by sarahmel.a View Post
    You guys seem to know your stuff. Could someone please tell me anything you could about these two bikes. I've recently picked up both and I would love to sell them in NYC and then buy myself something decent unless I can make something special of either of these. I don't know much about bikes but this is a new obsession, reading everything that you all have to say. I wish I could become mechanically inclined. bike.jpgSnap 2013-11-04 at 13.25.00.jpg

    thank you! Sarah

    The Ross is a low end bicycle you can flip without regret. You won't get much for it though.

    The other bicycle may actually be somewhat better than it lets on in that picture. I am having a hard time telling, but it may actually be a Hercules from right around the time Raleigh and Hercules merged. It looks like it has the pointed chainguard and a different chainring than the usual 1960's Hercules. That said, I'd need a better picture of the drive side to tell.
    English Roadsters, American Roadsters, and Balloon Tire Bicycles
    The Bike Shed classic bicycle blog: http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/

  15. #4815
    Verified Antique
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMike1983 View Post
    The Ross is a low end bicycle you can flip without regret. You won't get much for it though.
    I have a few Ross 3-speeds and they are good "beach" bikes; meaning we can ride them to the trail head at the edge of the dunes & leave 'em unlocked without fear that they'll "walk away" - which is sort of laughable when one considers that a 3-speed - ANY 3-speed - works famously in low-lying terrain such as DC, NYC, Charleston, or Myrtle Beach...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMike1983 View Post

    The other bicycle may actually be somewhat better than it lets on in that picture. I am having a hard time telling, but it may actually be a Hercules from right around the time Raleigh and Hercules merged. It looks like it has the pointed chainguard and a different chainring than the usual 1960's Hercules. That said, I'd need a better picture of the drive side to tell.
    I went out to the corral & looked over a vintage Herc that is from what I can see all original. It has the "Jetsons" chain guard that you see in Sarah's pic but the fork crown is different. I'd agree that it is definitely one of the Raleigh "variants" but can't say exactly which from the pic either. My aforementioned Herc has got a Persons vinyl saddle on it. From what I've been able to glean, AMF brought in the Raleigh bikes nearly complete and then put a few parts from domestic mfrs. such as saddles & kickstands on them before shipping them out to retail vendors...

  16. #4816
    Senior Member bwilli88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kampong Cham, Cambodia
    My Bikes
    74 Raleigh Grand Prix, Fuji Stratos, CBD designs vitesse
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another thread about converting a Raleigh Grand Prix from 10 speed to to a 3 speed AW rear. Thread here

    My questions are
    1. So I have decided to go with a 48t 170mm crank. I would like to stay with a square taper spindle and light weight, any good suggestions for one.

    2. What are some good light drop bar brake levers that would allow routing the cables under the bar wrap.

    3. Has anyone swapped to just a 3 speed and coaster brake and gotten rid of rim brakes altogether?

    Additional question can I run the shifter cable thru the existing noodle for the RD cable now.
    Here is the bike

    Last edited by bwilli88; 11-05-13 at 08:05 AM.
    Biking in Cambodia
    <><

  17. #4817
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,608
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwilli88 View Post
    1. So I have decided to go with a 48t 170mm crank. I would like to stay with a square taper spindle and light weight, any good suggestions for one.
    Looks like you already have a square taper crank. You should be able to source a 48T ring for it; run it on the inner plateau with BMX (single chainring) bolts if you don't feel like searching for a single-ring specific bottom bracket spindle.

    3. Has anyone swapped to just a 3 speed and coaster brake and gotten rid of rim brakes altogether?
    Coaster brakes are not as effective as rim brakes, and thus are not suitable for anything other than low speed riding. If this matches your style, it should be ok.

    Additional question can I run the shifter cable thru the existing noodle for the RD cable now.
    Probably.

  18. #4818
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,209
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, some have switched to coaster brakes instead of rim brakes. It's still a good idea to keep a front caliper brake. You may find that the coaster brake is more than adequate for stopping, but if your chain falls off, you'll need another brake. This happens!

    For brake levers, use the search term "aero."

    You can't run the shift cable through that last bit of housing because the hub doesn't have a cable stop built in, but you might be able to use that last cable stop on the frame. It's facing the wrong way, but there's a chance you can make it work.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  19. #4819
    Senior Member bwilli88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kampong Cham, Cambodia
    My Bikes
    74 Raleigh Grand Prix, Fuji Stratos, CBD designs vitesse
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    You can't run the shift cable through that last bit of housing because the hub doesn't have a cable stop built in, but you might be able to use that last cable stop on the frame. It's facing the wrong way, but there's a chance you can make it work.
    I was thinking about the curved metal guide down by the crank to run the cable from the downtube to the rear axle. Thinking that I might use a single downtube shifter and running a barenaked cable from the shifter to the SA hub.

    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    You may find that the coaster brake is more than adequate for stopping, but if your chain falls off, you'll need another brake. This happens!
    Over here in Cambodia probably half of the bikes have no brakes. They use the foot method either on the front wheel or the rear.
    Last edited by bwilli88; 11-05-13 at 06:35 PM.
    Biking in Cambodia
    <><

  20. #4820
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,209
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your plan sounds good but I don't know of any down tube shifter indexed for a three speed hub. If you use a friction shifter, finding 2nd gear is tricky and dangerous.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  21. #4821
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,608
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    Your plan sounds good but I don't know of any down tube shifter indexed for a three speed hub. If you use a friction shifter, finding 2nd gear is tricky and dangerous.
    I believe the new production Sturmey-Archer shifters will fit on a standard downtube lever boss. At least my S3X shifter does, so I imagine the other models might as well.

  22. #4822
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    My Bikes
    '82 Masi GC, '79 Medici, 70-something RRB, various other transients
    Posts
    907
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confirmed on the S-A website:

    http://www.sturmey-archer.com/produc...d/3/id/10.html

    See attached. If I read the description correctly (..."SLS30 R3T 3 Speed classic ratio..."), this shifter should work with older 3-speed S-A hubs as well.

    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #4823
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,209
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Waddya know. That's great.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  24. #4824
    Senior Member bwilli88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kampong Cham, Cambodia
    My Bikes
    74 Raleigh Grand Prix, Fuji Stratos, CBD designs vitesse
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that.
    Biking in Cambodia
    <><

  25. #4825
    Junior Member sarahmel.a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    NYC and Hudson Valley
    My Bikes
    an old mtn bike and a new beach cruiser, raleigh superbe, raleigh 71 sport, ross compact, free spirit
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noglider/ Tom, thanks for your excellent comment and suggestion. I have been very hesitant to take my bike(s) anywhere in NYC because I fear they'll jack up the price due to my ignorance. I would love nay suggestions you might have. I don't know what to do as far as the hercules is concerned but there is something about it, that I've falling in love with. I really want to keep one if you think I can get it in good shape. I'm just dying to start riding a bike again in the city. Last year I sold my Gary Fisher bike after losing my job and apartment and now I'm back! Could you tell me which of these bikes is a good one to keep?! My aunt has also given me a Free Spirit that needs new tires.. wonder how much that would cost... thanks a ton for all of your help and I think I will start researching a safe bike route to work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •