Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 214 of 221 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,350 of 5508
  1. #5326
    Senior Member GordoTrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 930 singletrack, 1982 Trek 412, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix Porteur, 1975 Raleigh Sports,1984 Schwinn World Sport,
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i had my last dl1 the ride quality was more enjoyable then the sports, maybe it was the b66 that was on the dl1, and a the time i had a brooks mattress saddle on the sports.. for whatever reason the dl1 just felt better, the big rake on the fork on the dl1 one and the relaxed angles just feels elegant...
    My Bikes- http://imgur.com/a/WHSUo "You should ride a bicycle for twenty minutes every day, unless you're too busy; then you should ride for an hour"

  2. #5327
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,791
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GordoTrek View Post
    honestly the stopping isn't that big of an issue, steel rims are steel rims, im going to put kool stops on the DL-1 once its done.. i had a 73 dl1 and the stopping was comparable to my sports..
    Now you can get alloy rims in the 635 mm size. They make them for the Pashley Guvnor. I imagine alloy rims would lop quite a bit of weight from a DL-1 as well as provide better braking when one upgrades from the rod-pull lever brakes to drum brakes.

  3. #5328
    Senior Member GordoTrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 930 singletrack, 1982 Trek 412, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix Porteur, 1975 Raleigh Sports,1984 Schwinn World Sport,
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
    Now you can get alloy rims in the 635 mm size. They make them for the Pashley Guvnor. I imagine alloy rims would lop quite a bit of weight from a DL-1 as well as provide better braking when one upgrades from the rod-pull lever brakes to drum brakes.
    the rod brakes are part of the reason i love the bike, no way am i going to take those out... plus i want to keep it as original as possible
    My Bikes- http://imgur.com/a/WHSUo "You should ride a bicycle for twenty minutes every day, unless you're too busy; then you should ride for an hour"

  4. #5329
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,791
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salubrious View Post
    Are the DLs the Cadillac version? I thought they were the ones that didn't stop

    I put Sun CR-18s on my Superbe along with new brake pads and stopping really isn't an issue.
    They do stop! A 50 lb bike does have a plush Cadillac ride. A Raleigh roadster will never go fast but when you get up to speed, you enjoy the slow ride so much you forget the bike is built like a limousine.

  5. #5330
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,791
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GordoTrek View Post
    the rod brakes are part of the reason i love the bike, no way am i going to take those out... plus i want to keep it as original as possible
    Ok. Drum brakes are also period correct and provide superb stopping power in wet weather. They are the same as those used in cars and would stop a heavy bicycle like a DL-1 instantly.

  6. #5331
    Senior Member Salubrious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do stop! A 50 lb bike does have a plush Cadillac ride. A Raleigh roadster will never go fast but when you get up to speed, you enjoy the slow ride so much you forget the bike is built like a limousine.

    I get that... I think I ride my Superbe the most, despite most of my other bikes being faster.
    Last edited by Salubrious; 06-19-14 at 11:52 AM.

  7. #5332
    Senior Member GordoTrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 930 singletrack, 1982 Trek 412, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix Porteur, 1975 Raleigh Sports,1984 Schwinn World Sport,
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not concerned at all with the weight of the bike, if i was i would probably have never even thought about owning a 3 speed, im comfortable with the stopping power, im used to it, and i never ride too fast to require immediate stopping power. i usually ride my sports on the weekend with my dad to go get a cup of coffee. good times..
    My Bikes- http://imgur.com/a/WHSUo "You should ride a bicycle for twenty minutes every day, unless you're too busy; then you should ride for an hour"

  8. #5333
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Four active bikes: 1982 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1951 Raleigh Sports.jpgI finally got my Raleigh Sports (the SA hub says it's from 1951) back on the road. It had been damaged after a theft in in the '80s (I've owned it since 1977). I own bikes that go faster and farther with less effort. I own another bike that is a comfortable on short jaunts. But once you swing your leg over and start to ride it you're back in the mid 20th century and you feel like a gentleman on a ride. You're more upright than most any "upright" modern bike and those slack angles are smooth. I considered another sprung Brooks saddle, but I never bonded with the one it once had, thus the suspension seatpost. I keep looking for short (sub 5 mile) rides to places in "Raleigh distance" to go to.

    I need to replace the handlebar grips next. And the pedal blocks are worn out. I see Harris has replacement rubber block pedals, but I have big wide feet and am considering a set of wide platforms. Are the pedal threads on Raleighs of this vintage the modern standard?
    Last edited by FrankHudson; 06-19-14 at 02:39 PM. Reason: trying to add picture

  9. #5334
    I WILL BE YOUR LARRY arex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '85 Nishiki Colorado
    Posts
    565
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
    . Are the pedal threads on Raleighs of this vintage the modern standard?
    Yeah, 9/16", 20tpi. A lot of pedals will fit.

    [edit] Oh, wait..."of this vintage." Might not be.
    "Ahab knew, baby...I lust." -- Vet-san

  10. #5335
    Upright bars SirMike1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    My Bikes
    Raleighs, Columbias, and Schwinns.
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GordoTrek View Post
    thinking of selling my 75 Coffee colored raleigh sports to raise funds for my 67 DL-1 build.. ive figured that the parts i need are around 150, so i was thinking i should liquidate one 3 speed for the other.. is that sacrelig ? i don't ride my sports enough to warrant 2 3 speeds, and honestly why have a buick when you own a cadilac? thoughts?
    bike in question
    They ride differently, which you mentioned. The DL-1's frame angle cannot be overlooked. It gives a different feel to the ride than the Sports has. I actually notice less difference in the wheel size and more in the frame angles of the DL-1 versus the Sports. I have examples of both types and like them each for what they are. I will admit I find the Sports more comfortable because I like a bike that is a little closer together than a DL-1. I don't look on the DL-1 as higher quality or higher luxury than the Sports, just different. Some people really like the open angles more, some don't.
    Last edited by SirMike1983; 06-19-14 at 08:31 PM.
    English Roadsters, American Roadsters, and Balloon Tire Bicycles
    The Bike Shed classic bicycle blog: http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/

  11. #5336
    Senior Member GordoTrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 930 singletrack, 1982 Trek 412, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix Porteur, 1975 Raleigh Sports,1984 Schwinn World Sport,
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMike1983 View Post
    They ride differently, which you mentioned. The DL-1's frame angle cannot be overlooked. It gives a different feel to the ride than the Sports has. I actually notice less difference in the wheel size and more in the frame angles of the DL-1 versus the Sports. I have examples of both types and like them each for what they are. I will admit I find the Sports more comfortable because I like a bike that is a little closer together than a DL-1. I don't look on the DL-1 as higher quality or higher luxury than the Sports, just different. Some people really like the open angles more, some don't.
    i understand your thoughts.. when i rode my dl-1 it felt like i was riding on a cloud, plus the look of it was really something that spoke to me. to each is own
    My Bikes- http://imgur.com/a/WHSUo "You should ride a bicycle for twenty minutes every day, unless you're too busy; then you should ride for an hour"

  12. #5337
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,604
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
    1951 Raleigh Sports.jpgI finally got my Raleigh Sports (the SA hub says it's from 1951) back on the road. It had been damaged after a theft in in the '80s (I've owned it since 1977). I own bikes that go faster and farther with less effort. I own another bike that is a comfortable on short jaunts. But once you swing your leg over and start to ride it you're back in the mid 20th century and you feel like a gentleman on a ride. You're more upright than most any "upright" modern bike and those slack angles are smooth. I considered another sprung Brooks saddle, but I never bonded with the one it once had, thus the suspension seatpost. I keep looking for short (sub 5 mile) rides to places in "Raleigh distance" to go to.

    I need to replace the handlebar grips next. And the pedal blocks are worn out. I see Harris has replacement rubber block pedals, but I have big wide feet and am considering a set of wide platforms. Are the pedal threads on Raleighs of this vintage the modern standard?
    Yes, pedal threads are standard -- one of the few things that are on those old Raleighs.

    You're in Minnesota; you should consider the next "Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour" on that bike!

  13. #5338
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Four active bikes: 1982 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That tour looks like a great event. Now if I can winter cycle enough next winter (heck, this year spring cycling was still winter cycling) maybe I can be in good enough shape for next May.

  14. #5339
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Four active bikes: 1982 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arex View Post
    Yeah, 9/16", 20tpi. A lot of pedals will fit.

    [edit] Oh, wait..."of this vintage." Might not be.
    Well I think I'm going to try and I'll be gentle in case the treading doesn't match. The pedal bearings are still smooth turning, but the metal ends are now way above worn rubber blocks.

  15. #5340
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,604
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
    That tour looks like a great event. Now if I can winter cycle enough next winter (heck, this year spring cycling was still winter cycling) maybe I can be in good enough shape for next May.
    You don't need to be "in shape" for Lake Pepin. Seriously, that would be the antithesis of what that ride is all about...

  16. #5341
    Senior Member ascherer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Manhattan
    My Bikes
    1987 Mercian Pro, 1971 Peugeot PX-10E, 1966 Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
    Well I think I'm going to try and I'll be gentle in case the treading doesn't match. The pedal bearings are still smooth turning, but the metal ends are now way above worn rubber blocks.
    On my '66, I was planning to do the same, but the new pedals (well, maybe they were NOS Union pedals, I don't recall) weren't built as well so I disassembled both and just used the blocks on the original pedal body.

  17. #5342
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waynesboro, PA
    My Bikes
    09 Motobecane Fantom CX, Trek YSL-CC, 05-Giant STP2, 79 Raleigh Super Course
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been looking for a Raleigh Sports for both my wife and I for a few months, and low and behold one night while perusing craigslist I found these two gems that were listed for only $75 each! I immediately emailed the owner to ask if they were still for sale that that I would take them just from looking at the one fairly grainy photograph on the ad. I actually offered him more than he was asking in the hopes that he would hold them for me for a week until I could make the 4 hour one way trip to get them and as it turns out he was willing.

    We picked them up yesterday and they appear to be 100% original down to the included documentation(which he said was never even removed from the bags on saddles) and even the "Calypso Coffee" touch up paint! The owners were an older couple that had bought them in the early 70s(hubs show 72 and 73 so I'm guessing model year 73s) and ridden them a handful of times total. They have been in their temperature/humidity controlled basement for over 20 years! Not even in their beautiful garage, but the basement. The Brooks B72s are in pristine condition, all of the chrome is beautiful with no pitting, not a spec of rust, and the paint only has a few dings here and there.

    I haven't had a chance to clean them up, but they really don't need much of a cleaning! Original tires need to be replaced and the ladies bike is missing a tube, but I aired up the men's 23" and took it for a few miles this morning! Love them and hopefully this will be my wife's gateway drug to (vintage) bikes! I'll do a full post on the pair when I get them cleaned up and refurbed a bit, but for now I wanted to show off my score!
    -H
    20140623_061947.jpg20140623_061956.jpg

  18. #5343
    Senior Member auchencrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillikus View Post
    Whoa, @hillikus, what a nice score! It looks like you snagged the larger frame for yourself too - Probably 8 out of 10 are the smaller size.

    (PS - Make sure you re-grease all those bearings before riding- 40 years in even in a humidity controlled basement doesn't do anything to help the lubrication along).
    - Auchen

  19. #5344
    Senior Member autoteacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Witch City
    My Bikes
    4 Raleinghs
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
    Whoa, @hillikus, what a nice score! It looks like you snagged the larger frame for yourself too - Probably 8 out of 10 are the smaller size.

    (PS - Make sure you re-grease all those bearings before riding- 40 years in even in a humidity controlled basement doesn't do anything to help the lubrication along).
    Great advice and don't forget oil in the rear hub!

    Excellent score!

  20. #5345
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waynesboro, PA
    My Bikes
    09 Motobecane Fantom CX, Trek YSL-CC, 05-Giant STP2, 79 Raleigh Super Course
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks and yes I did score a 23" frame and being 6'1" that's what I was hoping for. The plan for now is to repack and regrease everything and right now I'm trying to figure out the best oil for the AW3. Heard 30 weight, ATF and a few other suggestions but haven't narrowed it down yet.

  21. #5346
    I WILL BE YOUR LARRY arex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '85 Nishiki Colorado
    Posts
    565
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use ATF. Sure, it lubricates an auto transmission just fine, but it's meant to be doing so while pressurized...something you won't see on a bike. It's relatively thin, and I'd worry about it washing the grease out of the bearings.

    Nice bikes, btw.
    Last edited by arex; 06-23-14 at 10:49 AM. Reason: additional
    "Ahab knew, baby...I lust." -- Vet-san

  22. #5347
    Ding! Bandera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    1,580
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillikus View Post
    right now I'm trying to figure out the best oil for the AW3. Heard 30 weight, ATF and a few other suggestions but haven't narrowed it down yet.
    Very nice pair. You will enjoy them.

    Sheldon Brown on IGH lubrication:

    "Use machine oil, not a spray lube or other thin oil. Unless a hub has sealed bearings, also use grease, to form a seal at the bearings and help keep the oil in."

    Internal-Gear Hubs

    I use Phil Tenacious oil after the outboard bearings have been lubricated with a good quality grease.
    A 30WT non-detergent oil works fine, like lawn mower oil.
    Good excuse to get an old fashioned hand pump oiler w/ a long flexible neck to add the few drops of oil every so often and avoid making a mess.

    Find a proper old school LBS that has a cotter pin press to remove them to service the BB, those OEM cotters are excellent quality and are getting rare & expensive.

    -Bandera
    '74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

  23. #5348
    Senior Member crank_addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    828
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GordoTrek View Post
    the rod brakes are part of the reason i love the bike, no way am i going to take those out... plus i want to keep it as original as possible
    +1
    Although the rims on my Raleigh Tourist are badly corroded, I'm open to alternatives. Re-chrome cost is out of the question. Do you think it would be odd to take the rims off, strip and just paint them?

    The bike is black so I was thinking of a splash of color, perhaps dark green, or burgundy and then pin stripe the edge. Of course the area where the pads contact is of no real concern.

  24. #5349
    Senior Member GordoTrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 930 singletrack, 1982 Trek 412, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix Porteur, 1975 Raleigh Sports,1984 Schwinn World Sport,
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yellowjersey sells replacement rims.. price isn't terrible, considering i don't know anywhere else to find parts for these things.
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/eastbits.html
    My Bikes- http://imgur.com/a/WHSUo "You should ride a bicycle for twenty minutes every day, unless you're too busy; then you should ride for an hour"

  25. #5350
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kent Wa.
    My Bikes
    1935 Raleigh Sports X,1970 Robin Hood, Flying Pigeon, Ross hi-tec, Schwinn Phantom
    Posts
    734
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMike1983 View Post
    They ride differently, which you mentioned. The DL-1's frame angle cannot be overlooked. It gives a different feel to the ride than the Sports has. I actually notice less difference in the wheel size and more in the frame angles of the DL-1 versus the Sports. I have examples of both types and like them each for what they are. I will admit I find the Sports more comfortable because I like a bike that is a little closer together than a DL-1. I don't look on the DL-1 as higher quality or higher luxury than the Sports, just different. Some people really like the open angles more, some don't.
    I have a 1935 sports light roadster, its the best of both worlds, the size of a 26" sport and the geometry of a 28" roadster. Speed and comfort.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •