Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 57 of 220 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 5489
  1. #1401
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,956
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    How did you put a v-brake on?
    There are a few ways to do this... you can change the fork to one that has the right bosses or modify the existing fork by adding them.

    My P20 got cantis to allow for fender clearance and compatibility with road levers... an upgrade like his might run you $80.00 to have the bosses added front and rear.



    Built this up for a friend... used linear pull levers to handle the v brake up front and added a drop bolt for the rear caliper although we will probably add some new bosses in the rear for another v brake.

    The stopping power is awe inspiring and the suspension fork really makes bad roads a non issue... and it is still an English three speed (with a lot of mods).


  2. #1402
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will any of you have a spare Raleigh crank 46t in clean working condition? I need it to complete my Superbe restore project.

    That's the type of crankset I am looking for, 46t.


  3. #1403
    Schwinnasaur Schwinnsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    How did you put a v-brake on?
    Mine is fairly stock. I used a Dimension mounting plate, which fits over the stock fenders. If I had it to do over I would braze the brake mounts and I still might do that. The Dimension mounting plate will only work for the front brake, but it does the bulk of the stopping.

  4. #1404
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,956
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahson View Post
    Will any of you have a spare Raleigh crank 46t in clean working condition? I need it to complete my Superbe restore project.

    That's the type of crankset I am looking for, 46t.
    I will keep an eye out for one... had I seen this post just a little sooner I would have been able to send you a spare that we had kicking around the co-op.

  5. #1405
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,487
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More a resurrection than a restoration...

    I picked up a bare 1960s Raleigh Sports women's frame & fenders at ABCE last fall and have just finished building up as a campus bike for my daughter:



    Now we just need all that snow to melt.

  6. #1406
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    I will keep an eye out for one... had I seen this post just a little sooner I would have been able to send you a spare that we had kicking around the co-op.
    Ahhh...too bad. Please let me know if you have a spare one around. Thanks Sixty Fiver!!!

  7. #1407
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,858
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sixty fiver, I'll ask Ryan the local framebuilder what he would charge me to braze bosses on. Maybe he'd even be willing to teach me. I guess I'm willing to ruin the paint job.

    As I said, I took the bike on the train, and the conductor asked me to fold it. Any tips on making it easy to carry once folded? As we know, the Twenty isn't great at folding.

    I rode the heck out of my Rudge today. It was a big shakedown ride. I hauled over 100 pounds of groceries in my trailer with it. And we have hills here. My back hurt afterward. I'm amazed I managed to do it all. I really must gear it lower. It's nutty that they geared these bikes so high. I'm very pleased with this bike. The three Kool Stop brake pads work great. This bike's brakes work very well. I'd say they're better than Weinmann centerpulls. And these 50 year old cables are awesome. I don't think anyone makes them this thick any more.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  8. #1408
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,208
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    sixty fiver, I'll ask Ryan the local framebuilder what he would charge me to braze bosses on. Maybe he'd even be willing to teach me. I guess I'm willing to ruin the paint job.

    As I said, I took the bike on the train, and the conductor asked me to fold it. Any tips on making it easy to carry once folded? As we know, the Twenty isn't great at folding.

    I rode the heck out of my Rudge today. It was a big shakedown ride. I hauled over 100 pounds of groceries in my trailer with it. And we have hills here. My back hurt afterward. I'm amazed I managed to do it all. I really must gear it lower. It's nutty that they geared these bikes so high. I'm very pleased with this bike. The three Kool Stop brake pads work great. This bike's brakes work very well. I'd say they're better than Weinmann centerpulls. And these 50 year old cables are awesome. I don't think anyone makes them this thick any more.
    Tom,

    I use a small bungie cord, the kind with the balls on the end, to hold the bike together when I am carrying it. A velcro strap would probably work better. The Twenty doesn't lend itself well to folding and carrying, more for compact storage. Which is why I am shopping for a Brompton now.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  9. #1409
    Senior Member w1gfh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, MA
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Late to the party...

    Not the best rez, but here's my 1968 Raleigh Sports out for its first Spring ride.

    (Took a file and roughed up the surfaces of the brake pads: "John Bull" in the front and orange "Weinmann" in the rear -- vast improvement!)

    [IMG] March 2011 by w1gfh, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by w1gfh; 03-14-11 at 12:00 PM.

  10. #1410
    rhm
    rhm is offline
    multimodal commuter rhm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NJ, NYC, LI
    My Bikes
    1945? Fothergill, 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, 1954 Drysdale, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1972 Fuji Finest, 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
    Posts
    12,306
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    Any tips on making it easy to carry once folded? As we know, the Twenty isn't great at folding.
    Modern 20" folding bikes have a hinge incorporated into the handlebar stem, offset from the headset at a 45 degree angle. With that, the first step to folding the bike is to release the lock on that, and flop the handlebar down. It comes to a rest parallel to the frame tubes, on account of that 45 degree angle. Then you fold the frame, sandwiching the handlebar and "handlepost" between the frame halves. This might possibly work on a Twenty.

    Other than that, I recommend folding pedals. Get the cheapest ones you can; they're all crap, so there's no benefit to 'better' ones.

    But really, if you want a folding bike, get a folding bike. As much as I love vintage bikes, I won't mess around with vintage folding bikes.

  11. #1411
    Senior Member jamesj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    1988 Raleigh Sport, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my wife's sport!
    Even for a woman's frame Im in love too.








  12. #1412
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ I LOVE it! I want a white one now!

  13. #1413
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that cream-coloured step-through is nice. I can't wait to see how the silver step-through I've got on the stand will look like when it is finished. Waiting on 5/32" balls and brake pads so I can put it all together. Nothing like not being able to put the fork on to stall a project.
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  14. #1414
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    My Bikes
    1971 Raleigh DL-1, 1979 Raleigh Cameo, 1980's Raleigh Rapide Mixte
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w1gfh View Post
    Not the best rez, but here's my 1968 Raleigh Sports out for its first Spring ride.

    (Took a file and roughed up the surfaces of the brake pads: "John Bull" in the front and orange "Weinmann" in the rear -- vast improvement!)

    [IMG] March 2011 by w1gfh, on Flickr[/IMG]

    Nice looking bike! It makes me nostalgic as I used to have a Sports that was a little bit older than yours but had the same decal on the downtube. Unfortunately, even with the seat all the way down, it was still a bit too tall for me, so I sold it to someone taller who will hopefully get more enjoyment out of it. But not before taking it on the 3-speed tour! Hope you enjoy your bike!

    Last edited by Onegin; 03-14-11 at 02:30 PM. Reason: link correction
    1971 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist
    1979 Raleigh Cameo
    1981 Raleigh Rapide Mixte

  15. #1415
    Get off my lawn! Velognome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Garden State
    My Bikes
    1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
    Posts
    5,236
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyone know of a stock 25" step through? Maybe an older Pashley or R. Tourist?

  16. #1416
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    18,858
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never heard of anything like it.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

    Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  17. #1417
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velognome View Post
    Anyone know of a stock 25" step through? Maybe an older Pashley or R. Tourist?
    Longer seat post on the biggest frame size you can find. By the time you add a Brooks you add an extra inch or more with the springs anyhow. With a step-through what does it matter if you have a really long seatpost? Almost all the old Raleigh/English 3-speeds have a 25.4mm seatpost which is the same as many/most older BMX bikes if I recall. You can buy them CHEAP on Amazon. They made a lot of good strong long-ash seatposts for BMX bikes. Some even have a curve to them so you can get back further from the bars if that is what you want.
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  18. #1418
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a weird, strange question. What should I do if the fork lock got powder coated over and not able turn anymore? Should I just leave it as is or is there any kinds of chemical or solution which I can clean it off and save the fork lock? I apologize for these kind of weird stuff.

  19. #1419
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amesja View Post
    Longer seat post on the biggest frame size you can find. By the time you add a Brooks you add an extra inch or more with the springs anyhow. With a step-through what does it matter if you have a really long seatpost? Almost all the old Raleigh/English 3-speeds have a 25.4mm seatpost which is the same as many/most older BMX bikes if I recall. You can buy them CHEAP on Amazon. They made a lot of good strong long-ash seatposts for BMX bikes. Some even have a curve to them so you can get back further from the bars if that is what you want.
    Recently I picked up a new seatpost for my Superbe and I can confirm its a 25.4mm/1" seatpost.

  20. #1420
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahson View Post
    Just a weird, strange question. What should I do if the fork lock got powder coated over and not able turn anymore? Should I just leave it as is or is there any kinds of chemical or solution which I can clean it off and save the fork lock? I apologize for these kind of weird stuff.
    Gasket remover. Do a google search on it, you'll see a few how-to's on it.
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  21. #1421
    Get off my lawn! Velognome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Garden State
    My Bikes
    1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
    Posts
    5,236
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The long seat would require a long stem or some up-swept bars to maintian a proper upright poition. Besides all things into account, sprung saddle and all, I ride a 25" fame. I'm thinking about using the bike for work and errands so a good fit is important and so is a loop or step through frame, IGH and full chaincase. My 23" Sports is a bit small, just thinking maybe some pre-war model might be larger.

  22. #1422
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are going to have a darn hard time finding any step-through in 25" this side of the Atlantic. In the States most men are esceered of riding a "girls bike" as it will make their nobules schrivel up and fall off or something. There just aren't that many women who would want a stepthrough that large. Most of the tall girls who are seriously into bicycling will just take the path of least resistance and go with a large diamond-frame. They might be out there in some odd brands that you could swap parts out to.

    Another idea is throwing 29's on the biggest E3S as an upgrade. That would give you another inch and alloy wheels, better tire choices, and much better braking to boot. Don't forget that there are a ton of options for long stems that fit the E3S's
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  23. #1423
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,208
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velognome View Post
    The long seat would require a long stem or some up-swept bars to maintian a proper upright poition. Besides all things into account, sprung saddle and all, I ride a 25" fame. I'm thinking about using the bike for work and errands so a good fit is important and so is a loop or step through frame, IGH and full chaincase. My 23" Sports is a bit small, just thinking maybe some pre-war model might be larger.
    Glad to know I am not the only one with that problem...

    I suspect there may be some Dutch built/market bikes that will work, they are among the tallest people in the world.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  24. #1424
    Get off my lawn! Velognome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Garden State
    My Bikes
    1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
    Posts
    5,236
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...maybe creep around ebay.uk for a bit. Pashley also build special needs bikes and this is my special need, then of course I'd especially need some $$.


    I suspect there may be some Dutch built/market bikes that will work, they are among the tallest people in the world
    Good point but I recall from a trip to the circus and the tall guy had a tiny bike!!

  25. #1425
    old and fixed... clubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    My Bikes
    roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic
    Posts
    1,881
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a circa 30's "The Planet" with a big 10" head tube but the seat tube is only 20". It's a 22.2 seatpost to boot.

    PM if you're interested in the frame and fork, BB and headset. I'll gather better pics and info.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •