Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-10, 09:29 PM   #26
sickmtbnutcase
Addicted to Pavement
 
sickmtbnutcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SE WI
Bikes: '99 DBR X2, '98 DB Response, '84 Raleigh Marathon, '80 Raleigh Reliant (fixed/single)
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! You're gonna love that bike
sickmtbnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 10:00 PM   #27
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All right, I wouldn't qualify these as "good" pictures, but I'm waiting for a flash to come in the mail for my 24.6 megapixel DSLR. Until then, this darn point and shoot will have to do.



















Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 10:01 PM   #28
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)




That's all for now! I'm going to look at what the serial number really is.

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 10:15 PM   #29
wrk101
DRF aka Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The NC Mountains
Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue, 87 Cimarron, 14 frame school custom, 73 Paramount
Posts: 19,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That bike does look extremely clean. Amazing it was still available. Nice catch!
wrk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 10:17 PM   #30
DVC45
Senior Member
 
DVC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! That is nice. Well worth the asking price, IMO.
Congrats!
DVC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:46 AM   #31
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm, so how to put this nicely? These brakes flat out suck. There's no way I can stop going downhill even if I don't have the bike loaded up. The pads must be the originals or something.

So, should I immediately upgrade to some dual pivot's? Or should I just get some new pads for now? If I were to upgrade the brakes, which are the best? The Tektro R530 are about $50 and they come in black. It would look nice to have black calipers. What do you guys suggest?

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 01:34 AM   #32
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 26,861
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Usually, I would say change the brake shoes, but I know those brakes, and yeah, they're not good. I personally prefer single-pivot brakes to dual-pivots, but I'm sure you'll like the Tektros. The price is great, and they'll look good.

Enjoy the bike, and please tell us how it goes in the long run.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 02:38 AM   #33
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban
Posts: 8,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice catch! I think the black Tektos would be a good upgrade.
__________________
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|......GO.BROWNS........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
mkeller234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 04:04 AM   #34
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)
Posts: 10,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Collin,

I followed this thread from my Palm in airports yesterday so I could not see any pictures nor respond. Great find! Your "new" C-Dale is a beauty!

Here's my 2 cents on the brakes: Try centerpulls. If you don't have a pair of DiaComps I'll be glad to send you some. If you like the way they work, save your dimes and upgrade to Paul Centerpulls. I understand they work really well and and I see they now come in black as well as "natural" aluminum. They should solve any issues with wider tires and fenders.

Best of luck with your new C-Dale--- I love mine (both early 21st century models)!



http://www.paulcomp.com/racer.html
__________________
Bob
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
pastorbobnlnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 05:27 AM   #35
91MF
i'll probably break it
 
91MF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
in general, on your local craigslist at any given time, there is someone selling 'shimano dual pivot brakes' for $20. i'd even wager a c+v'r who lives close to you probably has a set.

good purchase, i think. the bike looks great. you'll really love it.
91MF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 06:39 AM   #36
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Awesome find. Train station! Half step plus Granny (I think that's a 48/44/30 combo, yes?)!

OK, I know everyone hates those DiaCompe 500's, but...they fit, they're on the bike, and they actually will work pretty well with a set of KoolStop pads. If you move to the TekTro's or some other brand of brake in the future, the KoolStops will still fit and provide even better stopping power.

Also, I'm trying to figure out the freewheel- is it a five speed? If so, pretty easy to upgrade to a wide range 7 speed since the frame has 126 spacing.

I have that same Deore combo on my '86 ST daily rider- it's bulletproof!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 07:22 AM   #37
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NC
Bikes: at Pedal Room
Posts: 20,170
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Excellent deal.
__________________

Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

Who drummed for Thoreau?

1985 Raleigh Competition Racing USA Series-Coleman made me do it.....
1987 Bridgestone Radac - Aluminum
1988 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Master - Steel
1989 Centurion Carbon-R - Carbon Fiber

http://www.pedalroom.com/members/RobbieTunes
RobbieTunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 11:38 AM   #38
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
Collin,

I followed this thread from my Palm in airports yesterday so I could not see any pictures nor respond. Great find! Your "new" C-Dale is a beauty!

Here's my 2 cents on the brakes: Try centerpulls. If you don't have a pair of DiaComps I'll be glad to send you some. If you like the way they work, save your dimes and upgrade to Paul Centerpulls. I understand they work really well and and I see they now come in black as well as "natural" aluminum. They should solve any issues with wider tires and fenders.

Best of luck with your new C-Dale--- I love mine (both early 21st century models)!



http://www.paulcomp.com/racer.html
Were you on a Palm Pre' by any chance? I love mine. :-)

Okay, where to start? How would I attach the center-pull's to my bike? Will these mount with the usual mounting I have? If so, I think I'd like to try some. I'll send you a PM about your offer. Thanks a bunch!

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 11:42 AM   #39
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Awesome find. Train station! Half step plus Granny (I think that's a 48/44/30 combo, yes?)!

OK, I know everyone hates those DiaCompe 500's, but...they fit, they're on the bike, and they actually will work pretty well with a set of KoolStop pads. If you move to the TekTro's or some other brand of brake in the future, the KoolStops will still fit and provide even better stopping power.

Also, I'm trying to figure out the freewheel- is it a five speed? If so, pretty easy to upgrade to a wide range 7 speed since the frame has 126 spacing.

I have that same Deore combo on my '86 ST daily rider- it's bulletproof!
Yep, it's a Sugino GP130 crankset with 30, 44, 48 teeth. Interesting. I don't really understand it, but it's pretty.

Freewheel is a 6 speed with indexed 6 speed barcon shifters. I think I'll leave that alone as there is literally zero wear on any of the teeth. There's no wear on anything, in fact. Makes me suspicious, actually.

Take care!

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 11:43 AM   #40
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pastorbob....you're killing me. Those brakes cost more than I paid for the entire bike! They're a work of art, though. Beautiful.

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:16 PM   #41
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)
Posts: 10,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin2424 View Post
Were you on a Palm Pre' by any chance? I love mine. :-)

Okay, where to start? How would I attach the center-pull's to my bike? Will these mount with the usual mounting I have? If so, I think I'd like to try some. I'll send you a PM about your offer. Thanks a bunch!

-Collin-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin2424 View Post
pastorbob....you're killing me. Those brakes cost more than I paid for the entire bike! They're a work of art, though. Beautiful.

-Collin-
A Palm TX, so a different animal.

I realize they are expensive but I've heard that Paul Racers possibly stop as well as cantilevers. Obviously something to save up for or ask for next Christmas.

Measure the reach of your existing calipers and I'll see what kind of DiaComp centerpulls I have. It looks as if your existing calipers are nutted, so the DiaComps should mount with no problems. You will also need a front cable hanger. It looks as if you have a built in one for the rear.
__________________
Bob
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
pastorbobnlnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 01:09 PM   #42
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you kind Sir. I will measure reach when I get home.

As for the serial number, it was correct - 23062088010. Are you guys sure the headbadge is not from that era? Maybe this suggests a repaint?

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 04:49 PM   #43
Iowegian
Senior Member
 
Iowegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boulder, Colo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin2424 View Post
Yep, it's a Sugino GP130 crankset with 30, 44, 48 teeth. Interesting. I don't really understand it, but it's pretty.
Nice bike! The crankset is using half-step gearing which means you shift the front to change 1 gear or the rear to shift 2. Ie, shifting the front changes the gearing by about 1/2 the amount as shifting the rear. The 30 ring is just a granny gear and you probably won't need it much. Half-step gearing has a different feel than normal but it's actually quite nice once you get used to it.
Iowegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 05:21 PM   #44
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
Nice bike! The crankset is using half-step gearing which means you shift the front to change 1 gear or the rear to shift 2. Ie, shifting the front changes the gearing by about 1/2 the amount as shifting the rear. The 30 ring is just a granny gear and you probably won't need it much. Half-step gearing has a different feel than normal but it's actually quite nice once you get used to it.
Ah, well that makes perfect sense then. That's kind of cool! Maybe you can answer this question - if I wanted to return to the original downtube shifters, are all of them three ring compatible up front? This isn't any kind of fancy longer-pull derailleur, right? I can get just normal 6 speed indexed Shimano downtube shifters?

Thanks!

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 05:28 PM   #45
EjustE
sultan of schwinn
 
EjustE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 3,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin2424 View Post
Thank you kind Sir. I will measure reach when I get home.

As for the serial number, it was correct - 23062088010. Are you guys sure the headbadge is not from that era? Maybe this suggests a repaint?

-Collin-
It's an 88. Headbadge looks fine. Those were used including and up to 1989. Great looking bike! (I'd go with Shimano Super SLRs btw)
EjustE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 05:37 PM   #46
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EjustE View Post
It's an 88. Headbadge looks fine. Those were used including and up to 1989. Great looking bike! (I'd go with Shimano Super SLRs btw)
So we're certain that it's a 1988 model, or it was manufactured in 88? If it was the 10th bike manufactured, why would it be made halfway through the year in 1988? Just curious.

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 05:59 PM   #47
EjustE
sultan of schwinn
 
EjustE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 3,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin2424 View Post
So we're certain that it's a 1988 model, or it was manufactured in 88? If it was the 10th bike manufactured, why would it be made halfway through the year in 1988? Just curious.

-Collin-
it was the 10th frame build that day (June 20th, 1998) not the year...
23 (size) 062088 (date) 010 (sequence of frame build that day)

(btw, still interesting that the frame size is in inches and not cm like other cannondales...)
EjustE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 06:25 PM   #48
lubers
Senior Member
 
lubers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cannondale 1988 ST400

Nice bike you love it, I picked one a few years ago, had it repainted and upgraded the components, really a great riding bike. Since the pictures I have changed out the handlebars for some drops. Also your headbadge is just like mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cannondalest400.jpg (57.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg newbike030[1].jpg (99.0 KB, 25 views)
__________________
Jeff

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400
lubers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 07:16 PM   #49
Grim
Senior Member
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta
Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice score. Decent price as well for such a clean bike.

I paid $250 for my 95 with a hop in the back wheel.

I didn't realize Cannondale ever put a halfstep crank on the bikes. That's cool! I have a 95 and 98 and the gearing sucked. 44-32-22 . The 98 came with 42 32 22! Yeah its a truck but 42?!?!?! Swapped a 48-36-26 and much happier.
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 08:56 PM   #50
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you
Posts: 3,010
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
(btw, still interesting that the frame size is in inches and not cm like other cannondales...)
Yes, it is odd, but that's how they did it for 86 through 89. Touring frames were all marked in inches (like the 27" wheels) and road frames in cm (like 700c wheels). Go figure.

But better than just AA/BB/CC for 83-4-5, with no frame sizing indicated.

Then they went to that system for a few years where the first number was a code for the rear spacing. Even stranger.
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:38 AM.