Join Date: Jul 2000
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
1) Use Nashbar w/o the masterlink, as I do w/ SRAM.
2) If your SuperMaxy crank mounts the inner chainring to an integral spider/outer, replace the spacers with slightly narrower ones.
3) I have heard of 7-8 speed chains, which also work well with ultra-6 and most "standard" 5- and 6-speed rigs, and I have heard of 9-speed chains, but never 8/9.
4) Are your cogs and/or your derailleur pulleys worn? This could be the source of your chatter.
5) I use SRAM PC-58s on all of my standard-6 and ultra-6/7 freewheels without problems, although I can make the chains skate over the teeth of both Regina standard-6 and (ultra)-7 freewheels. This may be a function fo the 2-tooth progressions I tend to favor (13-15-17-19-21-23 and 13-15-17-19-21-24-28).
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069