Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Foam handlebar grip worth saving?

    I have an old road bike (early 80s miyata) that i am messing around with, planning on swapping out the stem which necessitates removal of the grip etc on the handlebar. It has the solid foam type grip, tried shooting some alcohol under it and peeling it back, this stuff is tenacious.

    Is there any value to saving this or should I just cut it off and get some nice bar wrap to replace it with? are there any tricks to removing/re installing this type of grip?

  2. #2
    Lanterne Rouge cb400bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI
    Posts
    7,367
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut it off and go for some good bar tape.
    Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

    Viscount Aerospace Pro Trek 770 Cannondale Synapse

  3. #3
    sultan of schwinn EjustE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    3,594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those sell for about $7 new as a set... +1 Cut it off and go with paded tape.
    -E

    still stuck in the '80s; '70s were good as well, but i severely dislike tubulars.
    I tri...

  4. #4
    Senior Member cycleheimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New York Metro Area
    My Bikes
    1995 Trek 720 Multi-Track, 1994 Cannondale M600, 1991 Schwinn CrossCut, 1984 Raleigh Touring 18, 1981 Fuji S12S (18 spd), 1978 Bridgestone Kabuki Diamond Touring
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slip some diluted dishwater liquid between the foam and the handlebar, and then start trying to move it around until it slides away from the bars...add more water and dishwater liquid as needed. An added benefit of using dishwater liquid is that the grip will be already cleaned by the time you remove it!

    You might be able to cut the foam grips to size and use them as mountain bike handlegrips in a pinch. Just don't forget the bar end plugs.

    I find that as soon as I get rid of something I wind up needing it. The list of things I regret getting rid of is pretty long.

    Murphy's Law of Parts: "The part you toss out today is the same part you will need two days from now."
    Bike-A-Holic

  5. #5
    RFC
    RFC is offline
    Senior Member RFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    many
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut if off. Burn it. Bury the ashes.

  6. #6
    Dolce far niente bigbossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    10,811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RFC View Post
    Cut if off. Burn it. Bury the ashes.
    +1

    Just cut it and strip it off.
    "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

    S. J. Perelman

  7. #7
    Senior Member raverson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    beautiful Chehalis, Wa. 98532
    Posts
    1,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I went to clean up a Ross Diamond Cruiser with red bar foam, my first thought was cut it off and replace it with new. No problem finding it in black, but there was no red to be had. I was able to slide the old stuff off with a few squirts of soapy water and then soaked and scrubbed with dish soap to remove the dirt and bring the color out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Miele Azsora
    Posts
    1,739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just cut it off and use regular bar tape. Most of the time it's starting to rot anyway and leaves little black stuff all over your hands if you try to ride on it. It also seems to be less durable than most regular bar tape.
    1988 Miele Azsora

  9. #9
    Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,797
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raverson View Post
    When I went to clean up a Ross Diamond Cruiser with red bar foam, my first thought was cut it off and replace it with new. No problem finding it in black, but there was no red to be had. I was able to slide the old stuff off with a few squirts of soapy water and then soaked and scrubbed with dish soap to remove the dirt and bring the color out.


    Awesome!

    red, white and black just happen to be my favorite colors.

  10. #10
    rhm
    rhm is offline
    multimodal commuter rhm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NJ, NYC, LI
    My Bikes
    1945? Fothergill, 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, 1954 Drysdale, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1972 Fuji Finest, 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
    Posts
    12,308
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it still feels soft and supple, I'd save it, using the soap and water trick mentioned above. The soap isn't even necessary; get a little water in there and work it around, the grips will come right off.

    If it feels dry and crusty, slash rip toss and good riddance.

  11. #11
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    19,406
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Toss it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion, get rid of it.

    If you have an air compressor, use the air *** nozzle thingy and shoot air between the foam and the handle bar. When shooting air, move/slide it off. The foam should come off without any problems. No mess, easy and fast

    Installation of new foam pads can be done the same way.

  13. #13
    sultan of schwinn EjustE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    3,594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yuyax View Post
    My opinion, get rid of it.

    If you have an air compressor, use the air *** nozzle thingy and shoot air between the foam and the handle bar. When shooting air, move/slide it off. The foam should come off without any problems. No mess, easy and fast

    Installation of new foam pads can be done the same way.
    I never installed foam pads like this, but I suspect that they are similar to installing MTB grips. The single best way to do this, is to spray a couple of squirts of old fashion cheap hairspray in them then slide them where you want on the bars. When the hairspray evaporates, they are set in place.
    -E

    still stuck in the '80s; '70s were good as well, but i severely dislike tubulars.
    I tri...

  14. #14
    Buh'wah?! Amani576's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    1972 Raleigh Twenty, mid-80's Trek
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slip it off as mentioned by others. Put it in a Ziploc bag and toss it in a corner. Keep it in case you need it, but out of the way so it won't nag you that you haven't used it.
    -Gene-

  15. #15
    RFC
    RFC is offline
    Senior Member RFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    many
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but I have to ask two rhetorical questions:

    1) Why would anyone want to keep them?

    2) Why would anyone consider putting new ones on?

    I'm fighting hard to not bring up Dork Disks.

  16. #16
    Buh'wah?! Amani576's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    1972 Raleigh Twenty, mid-80's Trek
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think dork discs are another matter entirely.
    Foam grips aren't the end of the world, and really don't feel all that bad in use. They just have a bad stigma because they were on cheap bikes.
    If they're in good condition, there's no reason not to use them, aesthetics aside.
    -Gene-

  17. #17
    soonerbills soonerbills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Okieland
    My Bikes
    25 at last count. One day I'll make a list
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RFC View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to ask two rhetorical questions:

    1) Why would anyone want to keep them?

    2) Why would anyone consider putting new ones on?

    I'm fighting hard to not bring up Dork Disks.
    To each their own I say.
    This is the Classic & Vintage forum not the
    "Only Rare & Expensive " Forum
    I am not picking a fight RFC cause I know how you feel about foam tape and dork discs but there are many accessories that seem ugly, useless and downright ridiculous but some still like them.
    I sold a late '60 Murry ladies bike a few days ago and they asked if I had any colored tassels for the bars! Go figure!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elbertus View Post
    I have an old road bike (early 80s miyata) that i am messing around with, planning on swapping out the stem which necessitates removal of the grip etc on the handlebar. It has the solid foam type grip, tried shooting some alcohol under it and peeling it back, this stuff is tenacious.

    Is there any value to saving this or should I just cut it off and get some nice bar wrap to replace it with? are there any tricks to removing/re installing this type of grip?
    You can try taking it off, you need to take the brake levers off at the same time, because the brake levers will be in the way. Foam plastic tends not to last long periods, after 30 odd years it will probably crumble to dust, or it will be all gummy, if it has had pressure on it. If it comes off in one piece and it's in decent condition and you can get it clean, it's up to you. Don't be surprised if it starts to come apart, if it does, or you can't get it clean then dump and replace.

  19. #19
    RFC
    RFC is offline
    Senior Member RFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    many
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerbills View Post
    To each their own I say.
    This is the Classic & Vintage forum not the
    "Only Rare & Expensive " Forum
    I am not picking a fight RFC cause I know how you feel about foam tape and dork discs but there are many accessories that seem ugly, useless and downright ridiculous but some still like them.
    I sold a late '60 Murry ladies bike a few days ago and they asked if I had any colored tassels for the bars! Go figure!
    No worries. My apology to you. I was just jerking your chain a bit. On this forum, you can always get a rise by bad mouthing Dork Disks and foam rubber handbar condoms. If I were in the bike flipping business, which I'm not, I might have a different attitude, though not a different opinion.

  20. #20
    soonerbills soonerbills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Okieland
    My Bikes
    25 at last count. One day I'll make a list
    Posts
    935
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RFC View Post
    No worries. My apology to you. I was just jerking your chain a bit. On this forum, you can always get a rise by bad mouthing Dork Disks and foam rubber handbar condoms. If I were in the bike flipping business, which I'm not, I might have a different attitude, though not a different opinion.
    +1 on that.
    I am not a fan of them either!

  21. #21
    26 tpi nut. sailorbenjamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island (an obscure suburb of Connecticut)
    My Bikes
    one of each
    Posts
    5,493
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foam grips sure are comfy. I wish they were prettier.
    As for dork disks, I had a freewheels disintegrate recently and chew up some spokes. I'm not racing to put the things back on my other bikes but I wish I had one then.
    I have spoken.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •