Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-10, 02:18 AM   #1
TheManSuit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TheManSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: '89 Cannondale SR300; '64-'66 Allegro Special; '83 Centurion LeMans RS; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Calling all (any?) Allegro experts!

As I've been proudly blabbering of my Allegro Special (purchased from a fellow member through ebay; pictures of his set up (given I don't have any as of yet) can be seen here: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...llegro+Special), I didn't really stop until tonight to look at the serial number. I have been scouring the internet in search of a bike like this one, yet have not been able to find ANYTHING. No Allegro on the 'net has this paint scheme, and I'm suspect that the frame dates back to early '60s. However, having no information on how to date this frame, I can't say anything for sure.

Stamped on the seat tube is "190932". Something peculiar being that there is another numbed engraved just an inch or so below the seatpost, number being "77 G" Turning the bike over, the bottom bracket has a "DF" and a few inches across from it, a "48."

No clue what any of those indicate. I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me??

Thanks!
A.
TheManSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 09:58 AM   #2
Ragooch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do a web search for Craig Griffith. He's the "Allegro guy" in the States. He has a small web site on the marque but I do not know the url. He can easily be found in the CR archives or through Google.
Ragooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 12:19 PM   #3
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,439
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Here's one link to Craig Griffith:
http://www.swissbicycles.com/
I think he's even been an occasional poster to this forum...he's certainly the go-to guy for Allegro, and based in SLO, Calif.
The marking on the BB shell should be GF for Georg Fischer: these sandcast steel BB shells were very common on Allegros, and were used by some British builders and Italian masters (I'm thinking DeRosa, but maybe have that wrong) as well.
unworthy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 12:45 PM   #4
retyred
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Your Allegro dates to 1964-65, based upon what I have learned from assembling a small collection (eight) of Allegros in the last several years. Here are some pics of one of them, serial no. 200000 which I believe to be a 1965. Since it had been updated by the original owner with modern Campagnolo components, I had only the original wheels with a CAM65 date stamp and a Record FD with the non-slotted cable stop plus my other Allegros to use as 'dating' guides. I could be off by a year. Nice Allegro, I almost bought it from sailorbenjamin a while back.



100_0820..jpg 100_0859..jpg 100_0830..jpg




100_0864..jpg 100_0860..jpg
retyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 12:51 PM   #5
sailorbenjamin 
26 tpi nut.
 
sailorbenjamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rhode Island (an obscure suburb of Connecticut)
Bikes: one of each
Posts: 5,698
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's what Greg told me when I asked him a while back;
Hi Ben, looks to be about a 1965-66 Allegro Special,
Just after the changed from the Nervex lugs to the BCM lugs. Made in Switzerland in Marin outside of
Neauchatel. Company founded in 1914 by Arnold Granjean. This was the tail end of the real nice
Allegros in my opinion. 700c sewup rims were used on these. The wheel sets I
have along with the handelbars sets would be correct. Mostlikely it had Campagnolo gran sport
derailuers, hubs, handlebar end shifters,seat post, and a stronglight crank and headset, bottom
bracket. Weinmann rims and brakes. Brooks B-17 saddle and Lyotard Berthet pedals. Reynolds 531 tubing generally butted all tubes. I am an Allegro fan. Nice bike. Let me know if I can help in any way.
He seems like a nice guy.
__________________
I have spoken.
sailorbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 12:58 PM   #6
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,439
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
WOW that's a very pretty Allegro^, I had not seen one with those lugs before. You are now the "Allegro guy" for C&V, since you've owned 8!
Just to hi-jack the thread a little, I have a few Allegro decals available, not as old as mid-'60s vintage but more appropriate for mid '70s...some from Greg Softley and some from Velocals:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AllegroSoftley..jpg (87.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg AllegroDecals1..jpg (100.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg AllegroDecals3..jpg (81.0 KB, 34 views)
unworthy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 02:10 PM   #7
TheManSuit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TheManSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: '89 Cannondale SR300; '64-'66 Allegro Special; '83 Centurion LeMans RS; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retyred View Post
Your Allegro dates to 1964-65, based upon what I have learned from assembling a small collection (eight) of Allegros in the last several years. Here are some pics of one of them, serial no. 200000 which I believe to be a 1965. Since it had been updated by the original owner with modern Campagnolo components, I had only the original wheels with a CAM65 date stamp and a Record FD with the non-slotted cable stop plus my other Allegros to use as 'dating' guides. I could be off by a year. Nice Allegro, I almost bought it from sailorbenjamin a while back.





Attachment 168514 Attachment 168515 Attachment 168516




Attachment 168517 Attachment 168518

That is a seriously beautiful bicycle you got there. Has it been repainted/rechromed at all? I'm thoroughly impressed.
TheManSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 02:15 PM   #8
TheManSuit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TheManSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: '89 Cannondale SR300; '64-'66 Allegro Special; '83 Centurion LeMans RS; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unworthy1 View Post
WOW that's a very pretty Allegro^, I had not seen one with those lugs before. You are now the "Allegro guy" for C&V, since you've owned 8!
Just to hi-jack the thread a little, I have a few Allegro decals available, not as old as mid-'60s vintage but more appropriate for mid '70s...some from Greg Softley and some from Velocals:
Definitely appreciate the heads up, but while I initially thought I wanted to repaint/rechrome and get new decals (maybe still, in the future), this Allegro is serving as my commuter bike currently and I don't want it to catch the eye of any thieves roaming around Cincinnati. Also, I like the aesthetic of it, the rough patches of paint and fading decals. I should post some updated pics when I get a hold of a camera just to get a compare/contrast from what Sailorbenjamen had going on.
TheManSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 02:22 PM   #9
TheManSuit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TheManSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: '89 Cannondale SR300; '64-'66 Allegro Special; '83 Centurion LeMans RS; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin View Post
Here's what Greg told me when I asked him a while back;
Hi Ben, looks to be about a 1965-66 Allegro Special,
Just after the changed from the Nervex lugs to the BCM lugs. Made in Switzerland in Marin outside of
Neauchatel. Company founded in 1914 by Arnold Granjean. This was the tail end of the real nice
Allegros in my opinion. 700c sewup rims were used on these. The wheel sets I
have along with the handelbars sets would be correct. Mostlikely it had Campagnolo gran sport
derailuers, hubs, handlebar end shifters,seat post, and a stronglight crank and headset, bottom
bracket. Weinmann rims and brakes. Brooks B-17 saddle and Lyotard Berthet pedals. Reynolds 531 tubing generally butted all tubes. I am an Allegro fan. Nice bike. Let me know if I can help in any way.
He seems like a nice guy.


He definitely seems to be a good dude. I'm kind of impressed at how accurate my initial estimate was on the date of the frame given I've only been dealing with vintage bike for just shy of a year, now. Thanks for sharing this info -- when I got the link to your post with the Allegro pics, I thought about posting another comment or sending you a PM, then decided that you'd probably see this thread at one point or another
TheManSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 02:26 PM   #10
TheManSuit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TheManSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: '89 Cannondale SR300; '64-'66 Allegro Special; '83 Centurion LeMans RS; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unworthy1 View Post
Here's one link to Craig Griffith:
http://www.swissbicycles.com/
I think he's even been an occasional poster to this forum...he's certainly the go-to guy for Allegro, and based in SLO, Calif.
The marking on the BB shell should be GF for Georg Fischer: these sandcast steel BB shells were very common on Allegros, and were used by some British builders and Italian masters (I'm thinking DeRosa, but maybe have that wrong) as well.


I actually had contacted him about what he's quoting on some of his NOS frames, but I was more so just curious than anything else considering I had just paid Sailorbenjamen for the specific bike in question. He actually had a link to Mr. Griffith's website on the auction description, thus I looked into it. I'm thinking I'll take some detailed pics of the serial numbers and other markings and send it into him to see what he has to say. Not to mention it's something I need to do in case (forbid it!) I ever need to fill out a police report on a missing bicycle. Buddy of mine had his and his girlfriend's bike stolen and police couldn't help him without a record of the serial number.
TheManSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 04:06 PM   #11
sailorbenjamin 
26 tpi nut.
 
sailorbenjamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rhode Island (an obscure suburb of Connecticut)
Bikes: one of each
Posts: 5,698
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's couple more pics from when I first got it. Lots of stickers and other junk but it shows the original fade and the location of some of the bits that were in that bag, including the SA shift cable wheel. Not sure why it had one of those.








__________________
I have spoken.
sailorbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 11:52 PM   #12
retyred
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManSuit View Post
That is a seriously beautiful bicycle you got there. Has it been repainted/rechromed at all? I'm thoroughly impressed.
Thanks, it's definitely a keeper. I know very little of its history, only that it belonged to a gentleman who lived in Pasadena and was an avid rider. It could be a repaint done many years ago. I also bought the Allegro that belonged to his wife which I believe is a 1961 Special. Here are some pics.


100_0855..jpg 100_0839..jpg 100_0856..jpg



100_0854..jpg 100_0840..jpg
retyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 11:33 AM   #13
TheManSuit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TheManSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: '89 Cannondale SR300; '64-'66 Allegro Special; '83 Centurion LeMans RS; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retyred View Post
Thanks, it's definitely a keeper. I know very little of its history, only that it belonged to a gentleman who lived in Pasadena and was an avid rider. It could be a repaint done many years ago. I also bought the Allegro that belonged to his wife which I believe is a 1961 Special. Here are some pics.


Attachment 168621 Attachment 168622 Attachment 168623



Attachment 168624 Attachment 168625
Ah, gotta love that paint job. Looks fairly similar to my frame, the decals & all, aside from being a different color and having the wonderful fade/smoke effect, whatever they call it. Looks like the lugging is nearly identical as well. At any rate, once again -- very nice ride!
TheManSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 11:34 AM   #14
TheManSuit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TheManSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: '89 Cannondale SR300; '64-'66 Allegro Special; '83 Centurion LeMans RS; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin View Post
Here's couple more pics from when I first got it. Lots of stickers and other junk but it shows the original fade and the location of some of the bits that were in that bag, including the SA shift cable wheel. Not sure why it had one of those.
That first picture is absolutely epic, haha. Heralding of the Allegro, I think I'll call it.
TheManSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 11:39 AM   #15
dbakl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon
Posts: 5,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Those Weinmann centerpulls certainly put it in the 60s.
dbakl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 07:11 PM   #16
sailorbenjamin 
26 tpi nut.
 
sailorbenjamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rhode Island (an obscure suburb of Connecticut)
Bikes: one of each
Posts: 5,698
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was down in the basement at an odd time of day and the sun came through that window in a way it never usually did. It was like a bike cathedral in there.
__________________
I have spoken.
sailorbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 02:17 AM   #17
TheManSuit
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TheManSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Bikes: '89 Cannondale SR300; '64-'66 Allegro Special; '83 Centurion LeMans RS; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin View Post
It was like a bike cathedral in there.
+25 on "Bike Cathedral."
TheManSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 06:00 AM   #18
Bertrand62
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Switzerland
Bikes: Allegro
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, I have an Allegro with 208420 number, no nervex lugs but oil charger on the frame, someone told me that they use also bcm lugs in the sixties, so what do you think in term of dating my bike. Thanks. Bertrand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC5418.jpg (102.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC5420.jpg (93.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC5312.jpg (95.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC0230.jpg (85.5 KB, 80 views)
Bertrand62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 11:59 AM   #19
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
Posts: 16,136
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Bertrand, welcome to the forum!

Based on this post, above: Calling all (any?) Allegro experts!, according to which serial number 200000 fell in 1965, I would assume your bike is also from that era. Your front derailleur is consistent with that date. Do you have the original wheels? Campagnolo hubs have a date stamped on the cone locknut. They won't give you a precise date, since there were a series of steps between the manufacture of the locknuts and the bicycle, but should tell you something. My Allegro Special has one dated 58 and three dated 59, so I assume it dates to 1959 or 60.
__________________
New leather for old saddles.
rhm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 03:33 PM   #20
Bertrand62
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Switzerland
Bikes: Allegro
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello rhm,

Thank you, I am surprised that my frame has not a nervex for that period. The wheels are not original but they are from the sixties (only campagnolo written).
Bertrand62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 04:06 PM   #21
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder
Posts: 3,166
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Your Allegro looks simalr to the Allegro my best friend's dad had. 1964-5 sounds right. The one I knew was an all chromed frame with a turquoise lacquer pant over, fading into the chrome on the fork blades and stays much like your blue paint fades onto the white. Deepest, most beautiful paint I have ever seen, anywhere. Now a distant memory. That bike spent its later years in Martha's Vineyard and would have died of rust except for the chrome, but the paint had all disappeared the last time I saw it.

Sailorbenjamin, thank you for the photos. Brings back memories. And suggests that memory of mine which I sometimes thinks enhances the past, might well be true. I think the same guy painted this bike and the one I knew and I think that fade was his trademark.

Ben
79pmooney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-15, 04:57 AM   #22
chipmunx
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi to everybody.
I have this Allegro from early '70 bougth used in Italy from a swiss guy. Now I've decided to restore as original, with fenders, lights, etc... Looking for some pix in the net, I've found a lot of Allegro bikes, but nothing similar to this bike... so what is this?? Is it an original allegro/merckx bicycle? I'm wondering if the decals are original too.. There are some Allegro decals and some Eddy Merckx decals attached, but it is not a race bike as the Merckx should be. So I don't know what to do.. which colour repaint it and which decals buy.Any idea or suggestion???
p.s. The frame number is 243453, the number under the saddle is 62M: what do they means??
Thank'you Andrea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1997.JPG (43.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1963.JPG (34.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1965.JPG (33.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1968.JPG (29.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1969.JPG (34.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1967.JPG (37.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1971.JPG (41.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1991.JPG (37.5 KB, 66 views)
chipmunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-15, 08:30 AM   #23
juvela
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Bikes:
Posts: 4,002
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Hello Andrea,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your interesting Allegro. Have not seen an example of this model previously. Mostly what we get here in North America where I am located are the Special model.

The Eddy Merckx Tour de France transfer is there to promote the company's range of models/marque.

Oftimes when a manufacturer has a relationship with a famous rider or success in a famous race they will make up transfers to this effect which they fit to all of their models, regardless of intended application.

From photos it appears you have all of the bits to put your bicycle back into its original configuration if you wish.

The best course for refurbishment might be to retain the existing finish and preserve/conserve it. Lost of experts on this process here at the forum who can advise you.

For that transfer set you might have to have them made to order at high cost and difficulty.

One thing you might wish to have a professional mechanic or framebuilder look at for you would be the fork. From the closeup photo of the fork crown area it appears that the blades may have "softened" or "relaxed" a bit by one or two degrees. This appearance may be due to perspective, just a photographic effect. Good to have it checked in any event.

Thank you again for sharing your cycle.
juvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 07:31 PM   #24
JoeBass
Member
 
JoeBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Turned up a few scans of old Allegro catalogs on the web, so I'll add them to the thread. They should help clarify some of the various model questions. Can anyone translate these well enough to tell what the difference was between the model 76 and model 77?

Swiss bicycle catalogs | kickintonextgear

Last edited by JoeBass; 03-27-16 at 07:37 PM.
JoeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-16, 02:54 PM   #25
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,439
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
Hello Andrea,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your interesting Allegro. Have not seen an example of this model previously. Mostly what we get here in North America where I am located are the Special model.

The Eddy Merckx Tour de France transfer is there to promote the company's range of models/marque.

Oftimes when a manufacturer has a relationship with a famous rider or success in a famous race they will make up transfers to this effect which they fit to all of their models, regardless of intended application.

From photos it appears you have all of the bits to put your bicycle back into its original configuration if you wish.

The best course for refurbishment might be to retain the existing finish and preserve/conserve it. Lost of experts on this process here at the forum who can advise you.

For that transfer set you might have to have them made to order at high cost and difficulty.

One thing you might wish to have a professional mechanic or framebuilder look at for you would be the fork. From the closeup photo of the fork crown area it appears that the blades may have "softened" or "relaxed" a bit by one or two degrees. This appearance may be due to perspective, just a photographic effect. Good to have it checked in any event.

Thank you again for sharing your cycle.
My understanding was that Allegro was one of the several companies that had a contract with "the Cannibal" to produce an authorized "Eddy Merckx" model bike, so this may be one of those (although for some reason I associate the yellow and pink stickers with Gitane and not Allegro, so...maybe I'm offbase there).
From memory (always a risky deal for me!) the other companies that sold official Eddy Merckx models were:
Kessels
Falcon
Miyata (seldom seen, but real)
and these Allegros
But let the experts chime in and offer corrections.
Falcon's Merckx frames were pretty low-to-middling, trading on the Name and not selling real race-level machines...could be Allegro was on a similar track judging by this offering, but I thought at least ONE of theirs was a full-531 DB frame just decal-ed with Eddy's visage, etc.
unworthy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 PM.