Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Show us your confente's

    Ok. something different for us today. we have seen your de rosas, your merckx's, your schwinn's .....now.....dont be bashful or ashamed of your wealth, show your Confente!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Moment Peter_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    26,415
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This thread won't make 3 pages...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,725
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe- Owner's of these bikes for the most part are not like many exotic car brand owners it appears. A fellow years ago announced a Confente site, confente.org. Nothing became of it to my knowledge. Maybe best comparison would be classic Bugatti owners, many know each other, but not a lot of fanfare publicly, aside from Pebble Beach.
    There is no nationally renowned Concours show for bicycles. So, they stay hidden away. Besides, if bought as new the price was expensive but not crazy.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one I found at a garage sale this past weekend... kidding!






    This one was hanging safely in my buddies garage for several years. He was deciding what to do with it, knowing it's value. His father gave it to him years ago. His dad was a big cycling guy back in the 70's and 80's and he was part of the 1984 LA Olympics cycling committee.

    My friend decided to sell it a few years ago and took these pictures... I think they are kinda funny, such a coveted piece of cycling memorabilia.... The bike frame is pristine just dusty and dirty.

    There are only two reasons that these bikes are valued at what they are... 1 is that they are masterfully built and, 2 is that they are scarce... 2 being the operative reason. Only 135 or so were made.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Citoyen du Monde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarnblatt@usa. View Post
    There are only two reasons that these bikes are valued at what they are... 1 is that they are masterfully built and, 2 is that they are scarce... 2 being the operative reason. Only 135 or so were made.
    The biggest reason that they are valued is that there were two speculators who were sitting on a few of these bikes when bicycle trading on the internet was in its infancy and they talked them up and talked them up and a couple people fell for the hype and paid high prices for them and the legend was created.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,725
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde View Post
    The biggest reason that they are valued is that there were two speculators who were sitting on a few of these bikes when bicycle trading on the internet was in its infancy and they talked them up and talked them up and a couple people fell for the hype and paid high prices for them and the legend was created.
    That would not hurt, I was not aware of that. The prices have held up pretty well, 7, 8+, 9k the last transactions I am aware of, then there's the fellow who offered one on ebay at a stiff 13K and withdrew it fearing someone would place a bid. Overrated? An argument can be made. The problem is when there is a finite number, continued publicity coupled with the stir at the introduction at the New York Show in their time, they become significant for that point in time. Mario's solid pricing whether by his plan or not, left a number of other American builders rethinking the whole value equation. Probably for the better of a few of them ready to step up the game and charge for it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member tugrul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    2,437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    This thread won't make 3 pages...
    *bump*
    Looking for Quick release for a BR-6208 Cotter pin press

  9. #9
    Senior Member rootboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sand Spit East
    Posts
    13,043
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_B View Post
    I'll bump this. Just so I can see those ghastly coats again. Ye gods.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Chombi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    My Bikes
    1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC (Project)
    Posts
    9,559
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_B View Post
    Could those be Mario's mother, wife and sisters??
    I can't figure out any other reason why they would pose in front of that bike.....

    Chombi

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    10,321
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chombi View Post
    Could those be Mario's mother, wife and sisters??
    I can't figure out any other reason why they would pose in front of that bike.....

    Chombi
    For some engaging reading and pics on this topic of Mario Confente, may I suggest Italian Cycling Journal.

    http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspo...in-verona.html

    http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/

    Go get yourself something cool to drink, Google "Confente" into the site's search engine, and enjoy.

    I am learning so much about the builder from these recent posts and Italian Cycling Journal.

    Thanks everyone.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,725
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chombi View Post
    Could those be Mario's mother, wife and sisters??
    I can't figure out any other reason why they would pose in front of that bike.....

    Chombi
    No widow in the picture, Mario's wife was an American.
    This is an image after they received a bike they won in an ebay auction. They did not have any examples of his work. They paid the market price at the time.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might have benn me...not sure ... i didnt withdraw the bike....e bay kicked me off ... still dont know the reason....mystery to me
    Quote Originally Posted by repechage View Post
    That would not hurt, I was not aware of that. The prices have held up pretty well, 7, 8+, 9k the last transactions I am aware of, then there's the fellow who offered one on ebay at a stiff 13K and withdrew it fearing someone would place a bid. Overrated? An argument can be made. The problem is when there is a finite number, continued publicity coupled with the stir at the introduction at the New York Show in their time, they become significant for that point in time. Mario's solid pricing whether by his plan or not, left a number of other American builders rethinking the whole value equation. Probably for the better of a few of them ready to step up the game and charge for it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wazza matter with mario....his first bikes should have been made for each of his family members...the italian way...sad they had to pay big bucks for one. when i put mine up for sale someone...dont know who sent me an email saying that the sisters wanted one of his bikes but didnt have alot of money to buy one. they wanted mine but i paid big bucks for it and just couldnt to lose that much at that time ... by the way..that picture is really great. love the women in it .. they are so cute. im really happy they got one of the bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chombi View Post
    Could those be Mario's mother, wife and sisters??
    I can't figure out any other reason why they would pose in front of that bike.....

    Chombi

  15. #15
    vintage motor kroozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left all mine at my folks' place, so no photos for now...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •