I like the Pinarello Montello with the chromed rear triangle, but have been looking at some lower-end Pinarellos (such as the Treviso, Catena Lusso, Cadore, etc) due to their generally lower prices. I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable may be able to explain some features:
1. BB shell: Some of these bikes do not have the BB shell with pointed lugs, but instead have a plain BB shell.
- Are these investment cast?
- Is there a proper name for these plain BB shells (or are they simply called 'plain BB shells')?
2. I have seen some bikes with a seat tube or down tube logo such as this:
(from this auction, if the images don't show properly)
This frame at Classicbikeshop.eu (and several others from the same shop) has it too.
- Anyone know when they started using this logo?
- Is it particular to bikes from some markets (Europe)?
3. I believe Pinarellos started adding the second set of water bottle bosses in the mid-80s. Some Pinarellos I've seen with water bottle bosses on the Seat tube, do not seem to have any braze-on bosses (and yet some other bikes have them). The holes look like they are simply drilled and tapped. Is that how Pinarello supplied the frames? I'm inclined to think that's how they came, since this picture from belgier.net appear that way too.
(some other Pinarellos from classicbikeshop.eu appear this way too, such as this one)
4. For bikes with chromed chainstays and seatstays, I've seen them in red, blue, maroon, spumoni... were there any white bikes with chrome?