Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-11, 06:39 AM   #1
wtgrantham
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
wtgrantham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike Ribbon

I have become a big fan of Bike Ribbon handlebar tape, like many others here, as of late. but recently ran into a problem with some. I bought a pack of red and black from the same seller on Ebay. I used the black, no problem, but when trying to use the red the "sticky stuff" kept pulling off of the cloth, so any part I had to rewrap, the sticky stuff stuck to the bar. I only wrapped one side and when I got up the next morning the tape had completely unwound and the cloth was completely separated from the sticky. Anybody else have this problem? You think the adhesive was old? I just threw the whole mess away.
wtgrantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 07:11 AM   #2
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)
Posts: 10,240
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've not had this problem. Did you secure the one end with the bar-plug and the other end near the stem with tape? It would seem impossible to unwind if it was secured.

I've had tape shift around because it was not tight enough, but this was primarily leather tape or bar wrap which had no or very little adhesive.
__________________
Bob
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
pastorbobnlnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 07:22 AM   #3
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtgrantham View Post
I have become a big fan of Bike Ribbon handlebar tape, like many others here, as of late. but recently ran into a problem with some. I bought a pack of red and black from the same seller on Ebay. I used the black, no problem, but when trying to use the red the "sticky stuff" kept pulling off of the cloth, so any part I had to rewrap, the sticky stuff stuck to the bar. I only wrapped one side and when I got up the next morning the tape had completely unwound and the cloth was completely separated from the sticky. Anybody else have this problem? You think the adhesive was old? I just threw the whole mess away.
The sticky on the back is not intended to hold the tape on, it's intended to make it easier to do the wrapping, in that it generally stays where you put it, until your finished, it's about the same strength as post-it note adhesive, this allows it to be installed, removed and re-installed fairly easily. I remember taping bars in the 1970's before they put the sticky on, and you had to make sure you always had tension on it, so it wouldn't unravel on you. As for your tape, my guess is that the tape was either improperly stored or past it's best before date.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 07:51 AM   #4
Chris_in_Miami
Senior Member
 
Chris_in_Miami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just used a roll of Bike Ribbon synthetic cork like that, almost all of the adhesive came up with the backing tape. Personally, I prefer it that way, I always secure the end of the wrap and the tape doesn't shift around on the bars anyway.
Chris_in_Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 07:58 AM   #5
auchencrow 
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Bikes:
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've never had the sticky stuff delaminate from the tape. It has even allowed be to make corrections if my approach angle at the brake lever clamp was off, and rewrap without issue.

- But it is primarily the tension and the bar end plug, not the sticky, that holds it in place - so I don't understand how a fully wrapped bar secured at the end could come loose. (I do always wrap mine top down BTW, so I never have to worry about the electrical tape unwinding either).
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 08:00 AM   #6
auchencrow 
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Bikes:
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami View Post
I just used a roll of Bike Ribbon synthetic cork like that....
Maybe it's specific to the cork product?
I use the Bike Ribbon Pro exclusively - (not the cork).
__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 08:00 AM   #7
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you secured both ends properly then you definitely didn't use enough pressure. +1 on the adhesive being an aid in application, not to hold the tape in place indefinitely. I have used cloth tape with no adhesive on it at all and it stays in place perfectly. You cannot lose tension once you start wrapping. Pull with great force and don't let up at all until you reach the top (or bottom if you wrap that way, personally I don't). I find it helpful to either have one of my kids hold it at the top while I get a piece of tape to finish it off or sometimes I use a clamp and it holds it tight while I reach for some tape. Another trick is to use hockey tape under your tape. I tried this once and couldn't believe the difference. It has a high degree of friction with the overlying tape and simply won't allow the cloth to slide like it does on a smooth metal bar. A roll will cost you about three bucks and you can probably wrap about ten sets of bars with it.
TugaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 08:03 AM   #8
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large
 
khatfull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Woodbury, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 6,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've wrapped a dozen with it and never had that problem. I love it.
khatfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 09:47 AM   #9
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
The sticky on the back is not intended to hold the tape on, it's intended to make it easier to do the wrapping, in that it generally stays where you put it, until your finished, it's about the same strength as post-it note adhesive, this allows it to be installed, removed and re-installed fairly easily. I remember taping bars in the 1970's before they put the sticky on, and you had to make sure you always had tension on it, so it wouldn't unravel on you. As for your tape, my guess is that the tape was either improperly stored or past it's best before date.
Yes, the adhesive is "working as designed." I've found you can double the life of the tape -- when it gets dirty or the edges start cracking, you can remove it and re-wrap it the other way around to expose fresh, clean tape.
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 10:00 AM   #10
triplebutted
Senior Member
 
triplebutted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write
Posts: 1,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
Yes, the adhesive is "working as designed." I've found you can double the life of the tape -- when it gets dirty or the edges start cracking, you can remove it and re-wrap it the other way around to expose fresh, clean tape.
I thought I was the only cheap bastard that used to do this. Hahahaha.
triplebutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 10:07 AM   #11
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large
 
khatfull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Woodbury, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 6,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebutted View Post
I thought I was the only cheap bastard that used to do this. Hahahaha.
Guilty as charged.

I do the same thing with my fishing superlines (Spiderwire and the like). Spool the reel, use it for a season, then tie to a tree, pull it all out, then spool back on from the used side. Another season's use of fresh line that was hiding close to the spool for nothing!!
khatfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 10:22 AM   #12
raverson
Senior Member
 
raverson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: beautiful Chehalis, Wa. 98532
Bikes:
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebutted View Post
i thought i was the only cheap bastard that used to do this. Hahahaha.
+1 lol
__________________
your ticket is at will call
raverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 10:31 AM   #13
BigPolishJimmy
Senior Member
 
BigPolishJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray
Posts: 1,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khatfull View Post
Guilty as charged.

I do the same thing with my fishing superlines (Spiderwire and the like). Spool the reel, use it for a season, then tie to a tree, pull it all out, then spool back on from the used side. Another season's use of fresh line that was hiding close to the spool for nothing!!
And I thought I was cheap Bravo!
BigPolishJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 10:35 AM   #14
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large
 
khatfull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Woodbury, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 6,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPolishJimmy View Post
And I thought I was cheap Bravo!
Hey, I don't call myself cheap, I refer to myself as "non-wasteful" But seriously, you only end up using 1/3 -1/2 the line anyway. You can back with monofilament to shorten the length of Spiderwire needed but that's one more step, ick.
khatfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 11:27 AM   #15
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have had tapes the the sticky stuff came off and stayed on the bars. usually it was the real cheap stuff that came with the bike, but I have also had nice tapes do it. I never worried too much about it.
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 02:07 PM   #16
wtgrantham
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
wtgrantham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, seriously, I know how to wrap handlebars. I have 3 other bikes that I have recently wrapped with Bike Ribbon (not the cork) and I never had it act like this. The sticky stuff instantly stuck to the bar and pulled off the ribbon. I probably did not get it secured well at the top that night, but never had one completely unwind because it wouln'td stick to the tape!
wtgrantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.