Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member that_guy_zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    omicron persei 8
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Not shipping to Italy?

    I have noticed a lot of Ebay sellers that will not ship to Italy. Anyone care to share the reasons or any horror stories?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter
    Posts
    2,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently the Italian post is good at losing stuff to such a high degree that many won't risk it.

  3. #3
    Seņor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made the mistake of going into a Post office to get postcard stamps in Rome. 30 minutes, three lines, and incorrect change later, we were on our way.
    The search for inner peace continues...

  4. #4
    Senior Member due ruote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,407
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know about Italy, but I shipped a pair of shoes to Spain a while back (some might recall my thread about it). The buyer wanted the cheapest shipping available, which I complied with; unfortunately that didn't include tracking. Buyer says the package never arrived. I suppose that's believable, but it's also conceivable that I was played. Paypal of course sided with the buyer. So wherever you ship, I'd insist on using tracking. I'm not a big seller, but when I do list something now I just say no international shipping.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,479
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a very large rate of "loss". It's best to insist on the customer using Prioity mail with tracking if sending to Italy. Or you have a good chance of getting a Paypal chargeback with no recourse. I've been sending rare records all over the world for thirty years, and Italy was never a big problem up until about 3-4 years ago. But it is a real problem, not just an ebay induced bandwagon to jump on.

  6. #6
    Senior Member that_guy_zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    omicron persei 8
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    They have a very large rate of "loss". It's best to insist on the customer using Prioity mail with tracking if sending to Italy. Or you have a good chance of getting a Paypal chargeback with no recourse. I've been sending rare records all over the world for thirty years, and Italy was never a big problem up until about 3-4 years ago. But it is a real problem, not just an ebay induced bandwagon to jump on.

    Thanks for the info. I have been selling on Ebay for a while now but someone in Italy is bidding on a set of pedals I have, But I always ship USPS. As long as I dont ship in a small flat rate I should be fine I hope.

  7. #7
    PanGalacticGargleBlaster Zaphod Beeblebrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Smugglers Notch, Vermont
    My Bikes
    Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.
    Posts
    7,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
    Made the mistake of going into a Post office to get postcard stamps in Rome. 30 minutes, three lines, and incorrect change later, we were on our way.

    I had a similar experience in Milano. Italian Post is a joke. I even went so far as to make the mistake of asking about shipping a case of Vino home. Answer: carry it in your luggage
    --Don't Panic.

  8. #8
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    18,875
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by that_guy_zach View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have been selling on Ebay for a while now but someone in Italy is bidding on a set of pedals I have, But I always ship USPS. As long as I dont ship in a small flat rate I should be fine I hope.
    Wrong, has to go priority mail to get tracking. If you just send it first class mail, no tracking = can get scammed.

    I usually just tell potential international bidders what priority mail will cost them. Only once did the person then bid.

    I guess if you sell enough internationally on ebay, you can go ahead and "self insure", figuring 5% to 10% of the time, you will be SOL.

    Go to the ebay forums and search for shipping to Italy. You will find countless postings on problems with shipments to Italy. The choice is yours.
    Last edited by wrk101; 01-21-11 at 12:38 PM.

  9. #9
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    9,904
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Forward This To The Italian-american Anti-defamation League

    Quote Originally Posted by that_guy_zach View Post
    I have noticed a lot of Ebay sellers that will not ship to Italy. Anyone care to share the reasons or any horror stories?
    My cousin was married to a guy who
    worked in the Italian postal system.

    I spent about a year in Naples back
    in '69-'70. "High rate of loss" if you
    have not deduced already, is a
    euphemism for a lot of guys who
    work in the postal system steal stuff.

    Every Italian I ever met loved bikes.

    I believe you get where this is going.
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Your friends on FB are very different than mine.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    My Bikes
    3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmm. interesting , I don't remember shipping to Italy but I think I'll put this country on my list of destinations I don't ship to . I guess the fact that I mostly sell Campy stuff at relatively high prices keeps Italians away since they are likely to find cheaper parts in their country.

  11. #11
    Senior Member that_guy_zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    omicron persei 8
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I should have specified USPS priority. I use the ebay shipping calculator plus I have a higher handling fee on international shipments. I wish I could just sell inside the US but people ride bikes everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
    Wrong, has to go priority mail to get tracking. If you just send it first class mail, no tracking = can get scammed.

    I usually just tell potential international bidders what priority mail will cost them. Only once did the person then bid.

    I guess if you sell enough internationally on ebay, you can go ahead and "self insure", figuring 5% to 10% of the time, you will be SOL.

    Go to the ebay forums and search for shipping to Italy. You will find countless postings on problems with shipments to Italy. The choice is yours.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never shipped to Italy (not out of caution, just that no-one from Italy has ever won one of my auctions) but I always use priority mail to send overseas. The Japanese and Australians who buy my stuff don't seem to have a problem with it.

  13. #13
    iab
    iab is offline
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,313
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use registered mail for any international shipment, no exceptions. About $11 extra. If the buyer doesn't pay, no skin off of me, I'd just tell ebay the buyer never paid. But they have all paid to date.

  14. #14
    Senior Member rootboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sand Spit East
    Posts
    13,046
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mainducoyote View Post
    Mmm. interesting , I don't remember shipping to Italy but I think I'll put this country on my list of destinations I don't ship to . I guess the fact that I mostly sell Campy stuff at relatively high prices keeps Italians away since they are likely to find cheaper parts in their country.
    You sell Campy stuff at relatively high prices !? Hey ..I'm your man. And I don't live anywhere near Italy

  15. #15
    Senior Member Citoyen du Monde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ship things regularly to Italy and have never seen anything ever go lost. HOWEVER!!!! I ship almost exclusively to destinations in Northern Italy. This makes a huge difference. Anything South of Bologna and you risk losses. Another thing is that Italy has begun applying a zero tolerance rule for evasion of taxes and duties. If you write "gift" on the package, you can almost be assured that the customs officials will hold up your package and collect duty and VAT from the buyer, whereas if you complete the customs documents electronically on the USPS website and represent the contents properly and indicate realistic prices, the packages will generally sail through customs and often the receipient will be spared the customs and VAT. By completing the custom documents online, the info is sent ahead of time to Italy and the package can then be speeded through the whole import process. I have gotten into the habit of indicating the description in Italian as well as the harmonized duty code to further help

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do a lot of eBay, but not lately. I can say that after shipping 30 items to Italy, and only one arriving, I removed Italy from the list of places I shipped. I stopped selling on eBay in Feb. 08. I was shipping small items, mostly fishing tackle. Out of 30, two got returned as 'refused', one was delivered properly after 28 days via Express Mail, and the rest dissappeared forever. My policy was no guarantee on foreign shipping, once I had it postmarked, it was on the customer, when eBay stopped allowing that policy, no more overseas shipping. I was not going to be responsible for something I can't control. I had one guy complain and complain after only a week, he had instisted on the cheapest rate, spoke and typed very little English, and the item was sent slow boat as he insisted on to save what turned out to be $.40 or so. I offered to ship faster with tracking but he insisted on the slowest shipping. In hind sight, I think he just wanted to be sure there was no tracking. Back then the only way to track a foreign item was through Global Express Mail, and at that it wasn't a guarantee.

  17. #17
    Senior Member miamijim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    12,098
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    USPS Priority tracking is a joke. The best, most secure way in my opinion, is signature required, fully insured shipping with FedEx.
    WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 2005 Pinarello Dogma; 1991 Paramount PDG 70 Mtb; 1976? AD Vent Noir; 1989 LeMond Maillot Juane F&F; 1993? Basso GAP F&F; 1989 Terry Symmetry; 2003 Trek 4700 Mtb; 1983 Vitus 979

  18. #18
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
    USPS Priority tracking is a joke. The best, most secure way in my opinion, is signature required, fully insured shipping with FedEx.
    That is only reasonable if you have a FedEx account with a very good discount, economy shipping is cheap domestically, not too bad to Canada, once you get outside of those two countries it's typically Air only and gets real expensive, real fast.

  19. #19
    iab
    iab is offline
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,313
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
    USPS Priority tracking is a joke. The best, most secure way in my opinion, is signature required, fully insured shipping with FedEx.
    Registered mail, which also requires a signature, tends to be less expensive than FedEx.

    That said, as a seller, you can require FedEx, USPS, DHL or whoever you want. If it is clearly stated in the auction, the buyer can suck it.

    And as a buyer of auctions that tend to mostly be in Italy and France, I ALWAYS insist on paying for registered mail. With dozens, maybe over a 100 packages sent registered mail, I have NEVER lost a package. I have lost 2 of 6 packages sent regular mail.
    Last edited by iab; 01-22-11 at 08:56 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •