Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    Don't be a "Drew" Muttleyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bottle Cage Lust + Bottles

    I don't think I've ever wanted a cage with bottles any more then this one.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1798wt_1141

    One small problem, the price....YIKES!!!!!

    Mutt
    I love all my bikes because I have a heart of steel.

    '91/'92 Tommasini Velocista
    '88 Paramount Wheaties/Schwinn team bike
    '85 Paramount "wife's"
    '81 Miyata 1000
    '90 Miyata TripleCross
    '87 Centurion Ironman (Miami Vice)
    '73 Dawes Galaxy turned Scorcher

  2. #2
    Wood David Newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, Tx
    My Bikes
    India Hercules Scorcher. Raleigh Sports ladies: hers. Bridgestone 300 single speed: my lovely rider.
    Posts
    2,218
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The corks are in bad shape.
    http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/

  3. #3
    Old Skeptic stronglight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    My Bikes
    19 road bikes & 1 Track bike
    Posts
    1,044
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful !!! - Gilbert [Galibier95] always has some fascinating old components and accessories. He's also a very reliable eBay seller. And, I'm delighted that he always has excellent photos of his rare bits (for my archives... and dreams). I'm afraid that set will soar way out of my price range...

    I would guess that those may date from the late 1950s. Earlier cages (from the 1930s and 40s) always seemed to have been constructed with very flimsy looking wire frames. These cages look like they will still last for a good many years. COLORAL (in the UK) had made some double bottle handlebar mounted cages during the 1960s, and they may have been among the last produced anywhere. Specialites TA (France) had still made single bottle handlebar cages at least into the 1980s... perhaps they still do?

    A shame that similar double cages (and bottles too) are no longer produced. Maybe this is an opportunity for Chris at Velo-Orange to capture a new market.

    For that matter, I wonder whether TOEI in Japan offers anything similar. I've seen some of their bikes equipped with vintage bottles and cages but I've never heard of them being offered as an option for their custom bikes...

  4. #4
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,082
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stronglight View Post
    A shame that similar double cages (and bottles too) are no longer produced. Maybe this is an opportunity for Chris at Velo-Orange to capture a new market.
    This seller in Italy has been selling reproductions for several years now.

    http://cgi.ebay.it/STUPENDE-BORRACCE...item53e5f5ad3d

  5. #5
    Senior Member ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    8,196
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to fashion a somewhat passable substitute by polishing two 18oz Kleen Kanteens. I could probably find corks, but I'll likely just use the plastic flat tops. I'll use these and these.
    Bikes on Flickr
    I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com

  6. #6
    Get off my lawn! Velognome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Garden State
    My Bikes
    1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
    Posts
    5,376
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Colonel, before you begin crafting, check out an old ind. hardware store they often have corks for bottle tops, sometimes quite large dia. Also I saw in a Bar Supply catalog, ss bottles that looked perfect. No funds at the time so I did nothing...would have been a lot less than the $361

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this thread turns into a "show us your vintage water bottles and cages" thread...

  8. #8
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,082
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop View Post
    I hope this thread turns into a "show us your vintage water bottles and cages" thread...
    OK, I'll play.

    I sold the silver bottle and bought a matching blue one.





    I traded some pedals for this.




  9. #9
    no one cares -holiday76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NYCadelphOrnia
    Posts
    5,325
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    I'm going to fashion a somewhat passable substitute by polishing two 18oz Kleen Kanteens. I could probably find corks, but I'll likely just use the plastic flat tops. I'll use these and these.
    been there, done that.



    i had them on until my LBS owner made fun of me, then I took them off
    Mmmm, bicycles.

    I prefer emails to private messages - holiday76@gmail.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    My Bikes
    3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stronglight View Post
    Beautiful !!! - Gilbert [Galibier95] always has some fascinating old components and accessories. He's also a very reliable eBay seller. And, I'm delighted that he always has excellent photos of his rare bits (for my archives... and dreams). I'm afraid that set will soar way out of my price range...
    I'm jealous of his inventory , I'd like to have suff like this for sale, I feel like a small player.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    8,196
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -holiday76 View Post
    i had them on until my LBS owner made fun of me, then I took them off
    Ha! I'll bet if I do it my LBS owner will rig the same thing up on one of his bikes.
    Bikes on Flickr
    I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com

  12. #12
    Flying Under the Radar X-LinkedRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northeast PA
    My Bikes
    10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc
    Posts
    4,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriourly though. close to 400 dollars?
    12' SuperiorLite SL Pro w/ Sram Rival | 10' SuperiorLite SL Club w/ Sram Force | 06' Giant FCR (Dropbar) w/ Shimano 5700 | 10' GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

  13. #13
    Senior Member ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    8,196
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider View Post
    Seriourly though. close to 400 dollars?
    Do not underestimate Japanese collectors. Nothing surprises me anymore.
    Bikes on Flickr
    I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com

  14. #14
    Mostly Mischief jan nikolajsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Moab, Utah
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperX, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Surly Krampus
    Posts
    1,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aesthetically, and functionally too, I find the modern options sitting too high and being inadequately supported. Every one of mine will sag on even a short stretch of cobbles or other rough surface. Most of the genuine vintage holders put the neck of the bottle at or slightly above the bars, like iab's.

  15. #15
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,082
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider View Post
    Seriourly though. close to 400 dollars?
    Why not?

    As a matter of fact, as collectables, bikes and their accessories are cheap compared most every other collectable market.

    Let me ask you, exactly how many double bar cages and aluminum bottles have you actually seen in your lifetime? You don't think these things are rare? Would you rather spend $400 on a penny, basball card or comic book?

  16. #16
    Veni, Vidi, Bici gridplan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    My Bikes
    Colnagos (2005 Brera Art, 2007 President LdV, 2007 CF6)
    Posts
    1,121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    Do not underestimate Japanese collectors. Nothing surprises me anymore.
    What makes you think the buyer was Japanese? Trust me, they're not always the high bidder.
    Big hitter, the Lama.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ColonelJLloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    8,196
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gridplan View Post
    What makes you think the buyer was Japanese? Trust me, they're not always the high bidder.
    Of course they're not always the highest bidder. However, it is indisputable that wealthy Japanese are big buyers of high-end, vintage bikes and parts. I didn't say the buyer was Japanese as I'd have no way of knowing. But, I find it plausible.
    Bikes on Flickr
    I prefer email to private messages. You can contact me at justinhughes@me.com

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iab View Post
    OK, I'll play.

    I sold the silver bottle and bought a matching blue one.


    Who makes this one? I've got one of unfinished aluminum, but it has failed from the stress in multiple places...it's really flimsy. Do you know the vintage?

  19. #19
    Flying Under the Radar X-LinkedRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northeast PA
    My Bikes
    10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc
    Posts
    4,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iab View Post
    Why not?

    As a matter of fact, as collectables, bikes and their accessories are cheap compared most every other collectable market.

    Let me ask you, exactly how many double bar cages and aluminum bottles have you actually seen in your lifetime? You don't think these things are rare? Would you rather spend $400 on a penny, basball card or comic book?
    Sorry my friend. I am only a collector of practicality. For 400 dollars, I could buy a new kayak, tent, and backback, plus a stainless bottle of my choice. Not that Water isn't at the top of my list of necessities, it's just that I would have to drink close to 4 million gallons worth of water to even consider that functional enough for my taste. Or better yet, if I was dead set on spending 400 on a rare water bottle rack that WORKED, I would have one custom built by one of many LOCAL skilled craftsman in the area. (we know steel where I come from). To each is own.
    12' SuperiorLite SL Pro w/ Sram Rival | 10' SuperiorLite SL Club w/ Sram Force | 06' Giant FCR (Dropbar) w/ Shimano 5700 | 10' GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

  20. #20
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,082
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sciencemonster
    Who makes this one? I've got one of unfinished aluminum, but it has failed from the stress in multiple places...it's really flimsy. Do you know the vintage?
    Coloral. 1950s.

  21. #21
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,082
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider View Post
    Sorry my friend. I am only a collector of practicality. For 400 dollars, I could buy a new kayak, tent, and backback, plus a stainless bottle of my choice. Not that Water isn't at the top of my list of necessities, it's just that I would have to drink close to 4 million gallons worth of water to even consider that functional enough for my taste. Or better yet, if I was dead set on spending 400 on a rare water bottle rack that WORKED, I would have one custom built by one of many LOCAL skilled craftsman in the area. (we know steel where I come from). To each is own.
    Why don't you think the one pictured doesn't work?

    Here's the thing that you seem to miss. You spend $400 on your LOCAL skilled craftsman, you can resell it for $20. Buy the vintage one for $400, use it for 2 years, sell it for $600. What's smarter?

  22. #22
    Senior Member ScottRyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The other Cape, Cape Ann
    My Bikes
    vintagefuji.posthaven.com
    Posts
    2,739
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll play too:



    Scott

  23. #23
    Flying Under the Radar X-LinkedRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northeast PA
    My Bikes
    10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc
    Posts
    4,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iab View Post
    Why don't you think the one pictured doesn't work?

    Here's the thing that you seem to miss. You spend $400 on your LOCAL skilled craftsman, you can resell it for $20. Buy the vintage one for $400, use it for 2 years, sell it for $600. What's smarter?
    I did not say that one didn't work. I was aiding their quality by saying that is some peoples argument for why the vintage is the 'bees knees'. I was simply adding that I could as well obtain a functional cage. You seem quite offended by a remark that something was 400 dollars. If even as a collector you can't see practicality to cost adjustment that just does not make sense, then you aren't paying attention to the terminating value. (An object is only worth what somebody will pay for it) I agree that this object that sold is worth that 'monetary' amount, but that doesn't prove it's value to anybody but people with too much money and a means to sell it to the highest bidder. In the end you are collecting dollars, not vintage water bottle cages.
    From my point of view, even to argue with a resale of it, if Vehicles from the 1950's that haven't even left the showroom floor are only worth at best 15-25x their original value, why would the value of something like this would be close to 100x the original value?
    If we're talking about 'smart' in terms of collecting, it's to NOT be the guy who got stuck paying way too much.
    12' SuperiorLite SL Pro w/ Sram Rival | 10' SuperiorLite SL Club w/ Sram Force | 06' Giant FCR (Dropbar) w/ Shimano 5700 | 10' GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

  24. #24
    Senior Member ScottRyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The other Cape, Cape Ann
    My Bikes
    vintagefuji.posthaven.com
    Posts
    2,739
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you want to go the classy but economy route, these shaken and not stirred bar implements make lovely water bottles at times .. $1 at my local thrift store.



    Scott

  25. #25
    Senior Member randyjawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
    My Bikes
    1982 Tomassini, 1963 Peugeot PX10, and eight special issue Canadian lightweights...
    Posts
    5,784
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tuck old bottle holders away when I get one is decent shape. Though I have several down tube holders that I do not have the courage to clamp on, I did find one really nice handlebar mount. It is still mounted to my Peugeot PX10.
    PX10_WB_Full_TQF_1.jpg PX10_WB_Holder_3.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •