Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansai
    Posts
    1,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    If This Doesn't Buff Out....

    Maybe Kurt can do some magic w/HTS-1?

    Got in an accident last July, just getting around now to dealing with some of the aftermath.

    Before:



    After:



    Top tube (bottom side of this tube has slight waviness that can be felt but is not readily visible):



    Top tube (again, bottom side of this tube has slight waviness that can be felt but is not readily visible):



    Head tube seems straight. Sent the pics to Tommasini shortly after accident, they said it was a total loss, but I would expect them to say that. Air Fork as installed on this bike are still available from the company.

  2. #2
    Senior Member randyjawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
    My Bikes
    1982 Tomassini, 1963 Peugeot PX10, and eight special issue Canadian lightweights...
    Posts
    5,584
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could show us some good square on side shots of the head tube and how it intersects the top and down tube, sort of like this one...


    Armed with that it will be easier to tell if you have a chance or not.
    Learn how to find, restore and maintain vintage road bicycles at... MY "TEN SPEEDS"

  3. #3
    rhm
    rhm is offline
    multimodal commuter rhm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NJ, NYC, LI
    My Bikes
    1945? Fothergill, 1948 Raleigh Record Ace, 1954 Drysdale, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1972 Fuji Finest, 1983 Trek 720, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
    Posts
    11,919
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ooof. That really sucks. Sorry for your loss.

    Okay, I'm not going to pretend to any expertise in the properties of high quality bicycle tubing &c. But I'm pretty sure anyone with such expertise will shake his/her head and say, sorry for your loss.

    I will tell you, however, that if you have that frame straightened, you will never give it your complete trust. You will never think it rides as well as it used to. You will never have it back. In other words, sorry for your loss.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Chris_in_Miami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't have any reservations about riding the frame after it gets massaged back into shape.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansai
    Posts
    1,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
    If you could show us some good square on side shots of the head tube and how it intersects the top and down tube, sort of like this one...


    Armed with that it will be easier to tell if you have a chance or not.
    Unfortunately, I'm in a different hemisphere than the bicycle at the moment, although I'll be back in the U.S. in June. I can say that it isn't anywhere near as bad as the pic posted - visibly, I couldn't see any sort of bend as in above and was rather hopeful until I started inspecting closely and found paint buckling and felt some (slight) waviness on bottom of tubes. On the bottom of the tubes, the waviness is so slight as to be not visible, only perceived by touch, IIRC.

    The tubeset is Columbus MS, I'm not sure if this is heat treated or not.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ScottRyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The other Cape, Cape Ann
    My Bikes
    vintagefuji.posterous.com
    Posts
    2,695
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see you back on C&V, Jay.

    Scott

  7. #7
    Large Member realestvin7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    2,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks. Get it straightened, and ride it. If you don't like it, sell it.

    The only issue I see, will be paint.
    Build a drop bar do-it-all MTB!
    For Sale / Trade:
    1985 Cannondale Road F/F - 56cm ST/56cm TT
    1988 Cannondale SM1000 MTB F/F 20" ST/ 56cm TT
    Kuwahara Puma MTB F/F - 19" ST/56cm TT
    Trek 7000 MTB F/F -17" ST/55cm TT
    Alpine MTB F/F - 23" ST/59cm TT
    Ross Hi-Tech MTB F/F - 20" - 21" ST/57cm TT
    Peugeot PR10 Road F/F - 62.5cm ST/60cm TT

  8. #8
    PanGalacticGargleBlaster Zaphod Beeblebrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Smugglers Notch, Vermont
    My Bikes
    Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.
    Posts
    7,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should buff right out.
    --Don't Panic.
    My bike is a lot like your mom.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansai
    Posts
    1,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami View Post
    I wouldn't have any reservations about riding the frame after it gets massaged back into shape.
    That is kind of my thinking. Back in the good old days, I had a Columbus SLX Tommaso. I wrecked it at least twice. I say good old days because I was then young & uninformed enough that, post-accident, I just hopped back on the bike and since everything felt ok, kept on riding the bike. Eventually, years later, I parted the bike out for sale and discovered that in one of these wrecks I had bent the frame enough that there was some visible bubbling/waviness on the bottom sides of the top/down tubes.

    But I never noticed a thing and got many thousands of miles out of this thing after my last wreck on it. So now, I'll be quite happy if I'm able to spit out my bite of the apple from the tree of bike knowledge and ride this thing again in blissful ignorance if I can get it reasonably trued up. While the frame life may be theoretically foreshortened, I'm not worried about catastrophic failure w/no warning, that is the nice thing about steel frames.

    Oh, and hey Scott, yeah, I'm getting back to things. Following the accident, I was seriously out of action for some months, broken bones, etc. But I rode some last fall and winter. I've been in Japan for a few months lately, I still don't have a bike here, but I'll be back in the states in about a month and am looking forward to a nice summer of riding.

  10. #10
    Senior Member randyjawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
    My Bikes
    1982 Tomassini, 1963 Peugeot PX10, and eight special issue Canadian lightweights...
    Posts
    5,584
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were the bike mine, I would definitely have a go at straightening it out. And then I would test the heck out of it. And then, I would just ride it. The Peugeot PX10 I offered a picture of had bent tubes which I straightened out. The ride quality was just fine after-wards and a vast improvement over the way it handled before I went to work on it.


    Learn how to find, restore and maintain vintage road bicycles at... MY "TEN SPEEDS"

  11. #11
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,729
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can be cold-set. Doesn't look that bad at all; HTS-1 would take care of it in a jiffy. Forks might be a bit more of a PITA, but it's doable.

    I wouldn't put that much faith into that SLX tubing holding up for a couple thousand miles more though; might open up sooner or later - more likely later than sooner.

    -Kurt

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansai
    Posts
    1,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
    Can be cold-set. Doesn't look that bad at all; HTS-1 would take care of it in a jiffy. Forks might be a bit more of a PITA, but it's doable.

    I wouldn't put that much faith into that SLX tubing holding up for a couple thousand miles more though; might open up sooner or later - more likely later than sooner.

    -Kurt
    No, not SLX, that was in reference to another bike. This one is Columbus MS. Wow, hope for the forks, that is really something... I actually have a carbon fork I had purchased pre-accident that I wanted to experiment with, but it would be nice to have the original chrome fork, definitely looks cool and it does ride nice.

  13. #13
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,729
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robatsu View Post
    No, not SLX, that was in reference to another bike. This one is Columbus MS. Wow, hope for the forks, that is really something... I actually have a carbon fork I had purchased pre-accident that I wanted to experiment with, but it would be nice to have the original chrome fork, definitely looks cool and it does ride nice.
    Not just the forks - hope for the frame too. After all, it is bent.

    However, I'm not sure if Columbus MS is heat treated or not. If it is, throw the frame away. If not heat treated, it'll be OK.

    -Kurt

  14. #14
    Senior Member Chris_in_Miami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robatsu View Post
    That is kind of my thinking. Back in the good old days, I had a Columbus SLX Tommaso. I wrecked it at least twice. I say good old days because I was then young & uninformed enough that, post-accident, I just hopped back on the bike and since everything felt ok, kept on riding the bike. Eventually, years later, I parted the bike out for sale and discovered that in one of these wrecks I had bent the frame enough that there was some visible bubbling/waviness on the bottom sides of the top/down tubes.

    But I never noticed a thing and got many thousands of miles out of this thing after my last wreck on it. So now, I'll be quite happy if I'm able to spit out my bite of the apple from the tree of bike knowledge and ride this thing again in blissful ignorance if I can get it reasonably trued up. While the frame life may be theoretically foreshortened, I'm not worried about catastrophic failure w/no warning, that is the nice thing about steel frames.

    Oh, and hey Scott, yeah, I'm getting back to things. Following the accident, I was seriously out of action for some months, broken bones, etc. But I rode some last fall and winter. I've been in Japan for a few months lately, I still don't have a bike here, but I'll be back in the states in about a month and am looking forward to a nice summer of riding.
    That's been my experience also, but I hadn't really considered the tubing as Kurt pointed out. My bent bikes were built of beefier stuff.

  15. #15
    Newbie spacinmason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    My Bikes
    Custom Diamondback Response Blk
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are just scratches you can buff it out with some fine glasing compound by hand. If they are fractures in the paint you have to get it sanded out and resprayed. Hope you did'nt get badly hurt.

  16. #16
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fork's bent.




    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansai
    Posts
    1,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spacinmason View Post
    Hope you did'nt get badly hurt.
    Other than 9 broken ribs, a broken collarbone, concussion, a chipped vertebrae, various and sundry bruises/dents, I was quite ok. And, as the saying goes, you should have seen the other guy.

  18. #18
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,729
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spacinmason View Post
    If they are just scratches you can buff it out with some fine glasing compound by hand. If they are fractures in the paint you have to get it sanded out and resprayed. Hope you did'nt get badly hurt.
    That's irrelevant at this point; the frame is damaged under the paint. Not to say that straightening it will damage the paint any more or less though:





    -Kurt

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansai
    Posts
    1,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before starting this thread, I reviewed the work that Kurt, Randyjawa, et al, had done and documented on the forum. I'm pretty impressed w/the results that they've gotten on frames that were clearly much more bent than mine is. So I'm pretty hopeful. Plus, the Interwebs seem to be indicating that Columbus MS is not heat treated.

  20. #20
    Senior Member miamijim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11,611
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a Mondonico with similar frame damage and the head tube angle was within spec. I measured with 2 different digital angle guides. Buy a new fork and I think you'll be Ok.
    WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 2005 Pinarello Dogma; 1991 Paramount PDG 70 Mtb; 1976? AD Vent Noir; 1989 LeMond Maillot Juane F&F; 1993? Basso GAP F&F; 1989 Terry Symmetry; 2003 Trek 4700 Mtb; 1983 Vitus 979

  21. #21
    FBoD Member at Large khatfull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Woodbury, MN
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    Fork's bent.
    Took 16 posts....I'm impressed!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansai
    Posts
    1,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
    I had a Mondonico with similar frame damage and the head tube angle was within spec. I measured with 2 different digital angle guides. Buy a new fork and I think you'll be Ok.
    I'm really glad we've had this talk

    I could use a little more detailed instruction(s) about how to take this measurement, any info on the web anywhere?

  23. #23
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    19,027
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    are you sure the wavyness you feel is in the steel and not just all that paint and clearcoat? I agre with the buff it and ride it crowd. if it is a bit bent and good frame guy straightens it out you should have little worries. if you could actually see a bend or kink in the tubing I would be more concerned.

    for a fork I recoment the Soma straight blade chrome.
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis, '79 Mixte, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  24. #24
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khatfull View Post
    Took 16 posts....I'm impressed!
    Yeah, I was kind of surprised myself.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  25. #25
    FBoD Member at Large khatfull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Woodbury, MN
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We always say that one reason we like steel is that it's repairable...Jay, your's appears to be. Just be glad it wasn't one of these:




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •