Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-11, 05:24 PM   #76
Machine Age 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Bikes:
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnce View Post
here's a trek 400, not sure of the year but it gets alot of use...

Nice bike. I see that you have the same tilted-back rack issue that my 25.5" frame has with a normal rack (unless it's the angle). I even cut off a couple of inches of the rack stays of the Jim Blackburn rack that came with mine and it was still tilted with the front of the rack practically sitting on the seat stay.

The problem was solved beautifully by the Axiom Streamliner DLX Disc rack. The "Disc" part is the key because it has extensions where it connects to the dropouts that move the whole rack back a couple of inches, allowing you to tilt it forward until level.

Awesome and highly recommended. Can finally fit normal panniers on it.
__________________
These three bikes are IT! Forever!
Machine Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 12:43 PM   #77
kaliayev
Gouge Away
 
kaliayev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: BFOH
Bikes:
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
84 Trek 660. Just finished building her frame up with a mostly DA 7700 drivetrain.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2268.jpg (104.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2271.jpg (104.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2273.jpg (105.2 KB, 113 views)
kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 04:31 PM   #78
Zap Hassellhoff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Tempo
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1991/1992 Trek 400

Here is my Trek 400 with an axiom streamliner rack. Machine Age is right. This rack has considerable rear offset that really reduces the heal strike issue.

This build-up has been a lot of fun over the last year or so. Mostly used 105 parts and some random stuff from my parts bin. The most expensive were the textro DA brake calipers. I had to buy them to get proper adjustmet on the wolber wheels.

I'm over downtube shifters. I might spring for some 8 speed st-2200s next year.

more_stuff 001.jpg

Last edited by Zap Hassellhoff; 05-21-11 at 04:39 PM.
Zap Hassellhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 05:33 PM   #79
abarth
Я люблю суп
 
abarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliayev View Post
84 trek 660. Just finished building her frame up with a mostly da 7700 drivetrain.

HOT!
abarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 01:56 PM   #80
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels
 
cobrabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1981 Trek 613

Changes made since the last post:

-SKS "Longboard" fenders
-Switched from the Cinelli cork tape to Greengrips cloth tape. I decided I just don't like the feel of cork on moustache bars.
-KoolStop Continental brake pads
-Pletscher Kickstand
-Blackburn rack
-H2O Bottle Cage
-Kirtland TourPak Panniers


1981 Trek 613 by (cobrabyte), on Flickr


1981 Trek 613 by (cobrabyte), on Flickr
cobrabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 02:23 PM   #81
Chris_in_Miami
Senior Member
 
Chris_in_Miami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beautiful bike cobrabyte, looks fantastic with the beige fenders (I'm going to pick up a set of those soon!)
Chris_in_Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 02:44 PM   #82
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,757
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
My '89 660 set up as a fixed gear. (Don't worry, I haven't dremeled anything off.... )



It was gray when I first got it, and had it powdercoated. It started developing rust under the powdercoat so I stripped it off. I really like the naked steel -- I may just buff it up and spray it with rustoleum rust inhibitor and ride it like that until rainy season returns. I'll post some pics later.
caloso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 02:49 PM   #83
NukeouT
Sprocket App Founder
 
NukeouT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: 1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1984 Trek 460 - Tange 1000 Double-Butted main triangle with Tange hi-ten fork/stays & Shimano BB Cartrige
Just put on a Shimano BR-L490 SLR on the front. Going to be swapping out the Helio-junk rear hub and looking for 105 cleat pedals next.

Got it from a friend's dad for free. It will be a fun project and my fast ride for a long time.




Last edited by NukeouT; 05-24-11 at 03:14 PM.
NukeouT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 03:03 PM   #84
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels
 
cobrabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami View Post
Beautiful bike cobrabyte, looks fantastic with the beige fenders (I'm going to pick up a set of those soon!)
Thanks! The fenders are super long. I mounted the front one forward on the brake bolt to bring it up a bit actually. I would prefer all fenders are sold with a drilled or not option.
cobrabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 03:10 PM   #85
thook
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winslow, AR
Bikes:
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrabyte View Post
Thanks! The fenders are super long. I mounted the front one forward on the brake bolt to bring it up a bit actually. I would prefer all fenders are sold with a drilled or not option.

Are those longboards aluminum or the polycarbon/aluminum composite ones they're also making? I got a set of the latter a couple of weeks ago. If I hadn't already committed to them from the LBS, I would have done all aluminum. These just look kinda flimsy.

VERY nice build on your Trek, btw. I've putting my 614 together with moustache bars, also. I mean, they haven't arrived, yet. But, that's the intention. Be at the LBS in another day or two. Can't wait. How do you like the ride with them? Do you find it easy enough to still reach DT levers? I thought I might move mine up a bit closer towards the headtube. My 614 is an '82 and came with Symmetric shifters. I'd hate to need to use something else. They'r perfect for shifting easy with one hand since the levers sit right next to each on top of the downtube.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 04:50 PM   #86
auchencrow 
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Bikes:
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
'85 420



The dreaded Helicomatic

__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 06:00 PM   #87
NukeouT
Sprocket App Founder
 
NukeouT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: 1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
[/URL]
Kind of annoyed that our derailleur does not have a quick release cage like some Suntour models.
NukeouT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 06:30 PM   #88
thook
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winslow, AR
Bikes:
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The older Suntour GT's with the open cages had/have less chain wrap capacity, though. And, that really limits the gearing range one can build.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 07:27 PM   #89
shorthanded
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: frederick, md
Bikes:
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's me-- and '87 elance 330... with no original parts. If I'm not mistaken-- the 330, the 400, and the 440 were all the same frame.. just different components. love love love this bike.



just a coupla days from putting a set of open pro/105 wheels on it to get rid of the last vestiges of black anodized-ness- and tan sidewalls have returned..
shorthanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 08:02 AM   #90
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels
 
cobrabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
@shorthanded: really nice choices on that build! I really like the front bag and the cranks.
cobrabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 08:08 AM   #91
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels
 
cobrabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
Are those longboards aluminum or the polycarbon/aluminum composite ones they're also making? I got a set of the latter a couple of weeks ago. If I hadn't already committed to them from the LBS, I would have done all aluminum. These just look kinda flimsy.

VERY nice build on your Trek, btw. I've putting my 614 together with moustache bars, also. I mean, they haven't arrived, yet. But, that's the intention. Be at the LBS in another day or two. Can't wait. How do you like the ride with them? Do you find it easy enough to still reach DT levers? I thought I might move mine up a bit closer towards the headtube. My 614 is an '82 and came with Symmetric shifters. I'd hate to need to use something else. They'r perfect for shifting easy with one hand since the levers sit right next to each on top of the downtube.
The fenders I have are the....I think they call it "chromoplastic"? Which I believe is the plastic coated aluminum. They're plenty tough and with the stays installed they are quite rigid. I don't expect them to let me down any time soon.

As far as the shifting on the down tube with moustache bars, I find it quite easy actually. Being that they are wide, I feel very stable with one hand reaching down to shift. If anything, I actually think it's easier than with drop bars. Good luck with your build, I hope you post some pics soon!
cobrabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 09:40 AM   #92
thook
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winslow, AR
Bikes:
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrabyte View Post
The fenders I have are the....I think they call it "chromoplastic"? Which I believe is the plastic coated aluminum. They're plenty tough and with the stays installed they are quite rigid. I don't expect them to let me down any time soon.

As far as the shifting on the down tube with moustache bars, I find it quite easy actually. Being that they are wide, I feel very stable with one hand reaching down to shift. If anything, I actually think it's easier than with drop bars. Good luck with your build, I hope you post some pics soon!
Me, too...hehe!! All the rain we've been having has slowed building progress significantly.

Thanks for answering. Yep.........they're called chromoplastic. I got the silver variety, and I can see I will have to mount the front one behind the brake caliper as you did. Them suckers is longboard, indeed!

I had a look your flickr stream. Some really nice rides, man! What is the cream colored bike with the porteur style bars and trailor? And, what's up with that "suckybrake"?! Looks like you were just messin' around.....
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 10:50 AM   #93
jamesj
Senior Member
 
jamesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Bikes: 1988 Raleigh Sport, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOVE THAT BUILD.

I really need to upgrade to 700c so i can fit some fenders on my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthanded View Post
Here's me-- and '87 elance 330... with no original parts. If I'm not mistaken-- the 330, the 400, and the 440 were all the same frame.. just different components. love love love this bike.



just a coupla days from putting a set of open pro/105 wheels on it to get rid of the last vestiges of black anodized-ness- and tan sidewalls have returned..
jamesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 11:21 AM   #94
thook
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winslow, AR
Bikes:
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree. That'n is bad to the bone. I actually like the black wheels with it, myself. A touch of modern with some vintage class.

Yep.....this is one of my favorite threads.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 11:25 AM   #95
sickmtbnutcase
Addicted to Pavement
 
sickmtbnutcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SE WI
Bikes: '99 DBR X2, '98 DB Response, '84 Raleigh Marathon, '80 Raleigh Reliant (fixed/single)
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay, another place to post a photo of my '86 Elance 310 that some fool was throwing out with the trash.

sickmtbnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 11:44 AM   #96
thook
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winslow, AR
Bikes:
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Throwing it out????!!!!! Geez........I just don't get it.

Nice for you, though!!
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 12:00 PM   #97
jamesj
Senior Member
 
jamesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Bikes: 1988 Raleigh Sport, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Black wheels are the awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
i agree. That'n is bad to the bone. I actually like the black wheels with it, myself. A touch of modern with some vintage class.

Yep.....this is one of my favorite threads. :d
jamesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 12:40 PM   #98
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels
 
cobrabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thook View Post
M
I had a look your flickr stream. Some really nice rides, man! What is the cream colored bike with the porteur style bars and trailor? And, what's up with that "suckybrake"?! Looks like you were just messin' around.....
Thanks! Yeah the suckybrake is a (bad) joke from the ssfg forum, the other bike is my Townie, it's an old Velo-Sport "Courier 12" I converted.
cobrabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 12:44 PM   #99
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels
 
cobrabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1981 Trek 614. This was my first road bike. It saw many, many miles before I sold it. I wish it was my size, I loved this bike.


1981 Trek 614 by (cobrabyte), on Flickr

this is on my last ride with this bike.

1981 Trek 614 by (cobrabyte), on Flickr
parts live on at least three of my other bikes.

1980 Trek 412. This was going to replace my 614, but I came across the 613 shortly afterwards, and this bike was sold.

1980 Trek 412 by (cobrabyte), on Flickr
cobrabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 01:48 PM   #100
shorthanded
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: frederick, md
Bikes:
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrabyte View Post
@shorthanded: really nice choices on that build! I really like the front bag and the cranks.
thanks guys! i got lucky and snagged the frame for nuttin' from my local trek rep who was using it as a fixie.. i believe i've put the world right again.
shorthanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 PM.