Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   The New Classic Rigs and Rides Thread 1.1 (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/762624-new-classic-rigs-rides-thread-1-1-a.html)

Sir_Name 02-03-14 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateRod (Post 16465397)
Thanks for the comments on the Serotta, guys.


Yes I was. Still am. :D

Good. That paint just screams and the components compliment it perfectly. It must be breathtaking in person.

kelviny 02-03-14 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Name (Post 16465395)
Beautiful. What rims are those? The valve hole reinforcement appears to be Ambrosio, correct?

Yeap Ambrosio Excellence rims :)

Sir_Name 02-03-14 09:16 PM

How do you like them? I'm looking for a set of rims for a project and these are on my short-list of options.

smallpox champ 02-06-14 01:12 AM

Already posted elsewhere, the most recent build. 1984 Specialized Expedition. Slightly modernized with compact drop bars, Shimano Sora derailleur, and cheap but good Kenda K830 tires.

http://songsearch.com/Expedition_DSC_0606.JPG

Sixty Fiver 02-06-14 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallpox champ (Post 16471940)
Already posted elsewhere, the most recent build. 1984 Specialized Expedition. Slightly modernized with compact drop bars, Shimano Sora derailleur, and cheap but good Kenda K830 tires.

The Expedition is a very nice bicycle...

Sixty Fiver 02-06-14 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kroozer (Post 16447845)

Beautiful.

FreeSky 02-08-14 05:27 PM

Well I just killed three hours looking through this thread, a lot of awesome bikes!
Here's my first roadie, a 87 Centurion Ironman Master. Picked her up for $220 and fell in love instantly. My only dilemma now is choosing whether I want to keep her period correct or throw some carbon pieces on her ha

http://i.imgur.com/YE1kNb4l.jpg

Birthday 02-08-14 07:31 PM

This may be somewhat de rigeur as "special" bikes go, but I'm fond of it. The build is loosely correct for a late-80s Super Prestige, mostly DA 7400 with some Ultegra snuck in. What I can't figure out about the bike is if it's SLX or SPX - I assume SPX given the size. Not that it matters. It's lovely to ride and I couldn't help photographing it, given that the weather was nice enough for my soft constitution to tolerate. Anyways, let's call that my intro to this subforum.

PS the binder bolt is Campy so it's not entirely heretic

http://i.imgur.com/N4o4vjK.jpg?1

Edit: Oh no, photographed on the little ring. So embarrassing.

byhsu 02-08-14 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeSky (Post 16479372)
Well I just killed three hours looking through this thread, a lot of awesome bikes!
Here's my first roadie, a 87 Centurion Ironman Master. Picked her up for $220 and fell in love instantly. My only dilemma now is choosing whether I want to keep her period correct or throw some carbon pieces on her ha

http://i.imgur.com/YE1kNb4l.jpg

Wow, beautiful bike, don't change anything. Never seen one in that color.most of the ones I've seen are white with red.

Sixty Fiver 02-08-14 11:14 PM

My Rocky Mountain Blizzard... some classic steel (Reynold's 725) mountain bike goodness.

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...lizzardmc1.JPG

In mtb circles this is ancient... it is a 2001 and is only a 9 speed (upgraded from an original 8) with V brakes, albeit XT dual pivots.

gomango 02-09-14 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birthday (Post 16479660)
This may be somewhat de rigeur as "special" bikes go, but I'm fond of it. The build is loosely correct for a late-80s Super Prestige, mostly DA 7400 with some Ultegra snuck in. What I can't figure out about the bike is if it's SLX or SPX - I assume SPX given the size. Not that it matters. It's lovely to ride and I couldn't help photographing it, given that the weather was nice enough for my soft constitution to tolerate. Anyways, let's call that my intro to this subforum.

PS the binder bolt is Campy so it's not entirely heretic

http://i.imgur.com/N4o4vjK.jpg?1

Edit: Oh no, photographed on the little ring. So embarrassing.

All I can say is wow.

That's top shelf.

Deserves it's own thread or at least find the Tommasini lounge thread and toss some additional pics up there please.

Welcome aboard and cool build idea. :)

FWIW I have a Super Prestige and it's one of the better handling bicycles I've ridden to date.

RobbieTunes 02-09-14 06:53 AM

Can't go wrong either way. I'm restoring one of those right now. The owner has the same dilemma.

Welcome to the forum, both you and Birthday. You may find some interesting bikes on this thread...
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...STI-s-or-Ergos
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeSky (Post 16479372)
Well I just killed three hours looking through this thread, a lot of awesome bikes!
Here's my first roadie, a 87 Centurion Ironman Master. Picked her up for $220 and fell in love instantly. My only dilemma now is choosing whether I want to keep her period correct or throw some carbon pieces on her ha

http://i.imgur.com/YE1kNb4l.jpg


Birthday 02-09-14 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomango (Post 16480322)
Welcome aboard and cool build idea. :)

Thank you! You seem to be the resident Tommasini aficionado, so I appreciate the words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 16480411)
You may find some interesting bikes on this thread...
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...STI-s-or-Ergos

Believe me, I cruised that thread several times to make sure I was on the right track.

gomango 02-09-14 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birthday (Post 16482114)
Thank you! You seem to be the resident Tommasini aficionado, so I appreciate the words.


Believe me, I cruised that thread several times to make sure I was on the right track.

Actually TGB is, I just carry his toolbox around. :)

Sixty Fiver 02-09-14 08:59 PM

Not mine... belonged to a fellow I met at the Saturday Market in Portland... think he said he bought it new in '74.

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...itychrome1.JPG

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...itychrome2.JPG

thirdgenbird 02-09-14 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomango (Post 16482191)
Actually TGB is, I just carry his toolbox around. :)

Im probably more of an enthusiast or unofficial spokesperson of the brand.

gomango 02-09-14 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird (Post 16482205)
Im probably more of an enthusiast or unofficial spokesperson of the brand.

We should be repping that brand. :)

thirdgenbird 02-09-14 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomango (Post 16482209)
We should be repping that brand. :)

This seems like a good enough excuse to post this.
http://www.tommasini.it/images/detai...ncropro_01.jpg

Rocket-Sauce 02-10-14 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelviny (Post 16465750)
Yeap Ambrosio Excellence rims :)

Mmmm.... My next wheel build will be using Ambrosio Excellence

AKA 'golden tickets'

kroozer 02-10-14 11:58 AM

Someone chrome-plated a Varsity? Actually, it looks great and seems very fitting, like a classic Buick or something.
Needs an alloy pump, or better yet, a chromed steel one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 16482202)
Not mine... belonged to a fellow I met at the Saturday Market in Portland... think he said he bought it new in '74.

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...itychrome1.JPG

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...itychrome2.JPG


Sixty Fiver 02-10-14 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kroozer (Post 16483579)
Someone chrome-plated a Varsity? Actually, it looks great and seems very fitting, like a classic Buick or something.
Needs an alloy pump, or better yet, a chromed steel one.

From what I have seen, this was a factory model and they must have been produced in fairly low numbers.

FreeSky 02-10-14 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 16480411)
Can't go wrong either way. I'm restoring one of those right now. The owner has the same dilemma.

Welcome to the forum, both you and Birthday. You may find some interesting bikes on this thread...
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...STI-s-or-Ergos


I hate you for showing me this thread, I'm about to waste a lot more time looking through it ha. As far as converting to STI or Ergo goes, I never really though about but now I think it might be a good idea! Just have to figure out the right combination of shimano/ campy now

tophergrace 02-13-14 03:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1987 Giro
Campagnolo victory equipped

Cleaned up and cleared right over the imperfections, I wanted this bike to tell it's story
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=364239

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=364240

kelviny 02-17-14 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Name (Post 16465816)
How do you like them? I'm looking for a set of rims for a project and these are on my short-list of options.

Sorry late reply but I my opinion is that they felt a bit harsh. I bought them for the looks. Wouldn't recommend for ride compliance or comfort. Other wheel I compared this to are campag Atlanta and Tb14 h+son which I found superior to this rim.

mort1369 02-21-14 05:26 PM

Trek 420, after the bullhorns and before I snapped the chain:mad::notamused::mad::notamused:

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps6c38934e.jpg

Raleigh USA Olympian. . .

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps9ba71268.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:59 AM.