Man, just when I thought I was done with my bike acquisitions for a while you show this off. I love it! what size is it? 22"?
Looks to be in great shape! Nice catch.
Great find. I passed one up about a year ago on CL when I didn't know what the bike was!! It was listed for $150
2001 Raleigh R700(project #2/Finished)
1996 Litespeed Classic
1995 Klein Quantum(project #3/Finished)
1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
1989 Centurion Master Ironman
1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
1985 Raleigh Prestige
1985 Raleigh Competition
1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1
2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter) http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
That bike is murder!! Looks like a fun, aggressive ride.
In the end the size is "big enough"
I'll also post pics again when I get it fit for me, slightly cleaned, and a different saddle on it, probably an Avocet Criterium I I picked up recently. Gel saddles just don't do it
Now I want to build an all blacked out bike. That's a beauty. Love the gold accents.
I have the original saddle on mine and it is "solid" for sure. Perhaps one to many prior owners on it. I will probably replace the seat since I plan on using it for longer rides and so far it is not conforming to a more comfortable fit. Shorter rides don't seem to be too much of a problem. Just something to consider.
Saw it when you posted it in another thread.
As Wesley Snipes said, "Always bet on Black!"
Looks flawless. Tough to hide with the black out finish. I passed on a cheaper later model Lightning down here. I wanted one, but seller kept upping the price due to responses. And it wasn't this more desirable version. Also just got a vintage Cannondale and I'm looking forward to how it rides as well.
“You meet the nicest people on two wheels!"
I'd rather add more life to my years, than years to my life.
Got her in the office and got the cockpit into a little more sane position. Looking it over more closely:
- Little inner chainring rub on the DS stay.
- Little chipping under the BB shell.
- Indexing was off and had to move the FD up on the brazeon.
- Going to have to pull the chain and freewheel, PO oiled them.
- The black bottle cages are Paramount cages, anyone need some?
- The black anodized seatpost looks fine, I was worried it might be scratched.
- Bar tape has to go, I dislike cork.
If I redo the bar tape what does everyone think about gold brake housing? Anyone make it in a metallic gold? Hmmm...
Size is dead nuts 23" center of crank to top of top tube, without the seatpost clamp "extension", absolutely the perfect size for me. Tee hee!
Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-10-11 at 06:50 AM.
You will not believe how fast I used to be...
1979 Centurion Semi Pro
1983 Lotus Classique
1985 Cinelli Equipe Centurion
1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra
1987 D'Arienzo (Basso)
1987 Trek 330 Elance
1995 Hot Tubes TT
1995 Trek OCLV 5500
2004 Quintana Roo Kilo
2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
2008 Cannondale Six13
2013 Eddy Merckx EMX-3
That will be a museum piece one day Keith. THE most desirable 'dale ever IMO.
Meanwhile, enjoy the ride (It's actually pretty decent, and still allows for incredible power transfer - but don't tell anyone: It's a 'dale owner's dirty secret!)
You going to go with black cloth for the wrap?
If you and I were only similarly sized, we might have a trade.....
....but I think I'll keep it
This thing is beyond beautiful.
- Pulled the FD/RD/chain, cleaned completely. Cleaned the freewheel of all the oil the PO put on it. Cleaned the rear wheel, was oil spattered all over
- Found a GREAT paint match for the darkish gray of the Sprint RD, was able to cover the one area of rash nicely. Testors Model Master Gunmetal.
- Touched up the frame, the few places that needed it, really good match with Duplicolor Metallic Black for Toyota.
- Touched up the crankset...being black of course there was some rub and such. Typical method is to completely clean the crank, apply ScratchX 2.0, buff. Thin Testors Gloss Black really thin, makes it flow a lot better and not glop. After the paint dries, NuFinish car polish. The crank now shines like new. You have to be about a foot away to see the touchups.
- Went over the frame with NuFinish car polish after cleaning.
Left to do:
- Rewrap bars with Bike Ribbon Professional.
- Get Shimano SPD-SL PD-R540 pedals in black, I'll ride this one clipless.
- Get new black Sugino dust caps...the existing ones were VERY stuck and being plastic deformed.
Here it is as it sits now...
Keith your Lightning is just gorgeous and is the best looking Cannondale ever made IMHO. I am not sure on how much gold I would want to put on there but chainring bolts would be nice looking in gold compared to silver ( in fact any hardware done in gold would look awesome on that bike ).
If you're still considering gold housing you should check out the Centurion Turbo Robbie redid just posted in the Centurion thread. That gold Jagwire housing might be what you're looking for.
This (from Robbie's post)
An 87/88 Black Lighting is one of my near-grail bikes.
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.
khatfull, I myself wouldn't use gold cable housings as that will also accent the black cable guides in a negative way, IMHO. A set of black Elite bottle cages with gold buttons would be as far as I'd go.
Fantastic looking bike. Can't wait to hear how it rides.
You bottle cage suggestion is a good one too Brad. It came with two alloy Paramount branded cages, they seem "unfitting" on this
+1 on the hotness