Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cannondale SM500

    I'm brand new so I apologize in advance for any missteps I'll make.
    I have a Cannondale SM 500, serial # 52010905222. This number implies the bike was made in 2005, but can't find any mention of the SM500 except in the 1980s. I want to sell the bike but want to know what I have before I do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Tom
    Austin, Texas
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,684
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HI strobeltom2 welcome to the forums. from the components I think it looks very late '80s early '90s. OK first there is a dedicated apprasail forum so don't be suprised if a Moderator moves it to there. it is the next one after the Classic and Vintage in the index

    can you post some more and better pics? a good overall pic from the drive side and then some better pics of the derailleurs.

    Unfortunatly as others here will tell you MTBs usually do not have alot of resale value. if you live near a big college or Metro area that will help both the price and how fast it will sell.





    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SS, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9,998
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The XCE components indicate it is a 1989 or 1990 model SM500, as this model went to the XC-1 group in 1991. These were mid-range ATBs with an MSL of $530-$585, depending on the exact year.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gears.jpggears2.jpgBianchigirll,

    Thanks for your response. I've attached a few more pics.......

    Tomgears3.jpg

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, T-Mar. What's confusing to me is the serial #52010905222. Doesn't that mean it was built in late 2004 or 2005?
    I'm a total rookie so excuse the naive questions!

  6. #6
    Velocommuter Commando Sirrus Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    My Bikes
    '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid
    Posts
    2,555
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    HI strobeltom2 welcome to the forums. from the components I think it looks very late '80s early '90s. OK first there is a dedicated apprasail forum so don't be suprised if a Moderator moves it to there. it is the next one after the Classic and Vintage in the index

    can you post some more and better pics? a good overall pic from the drive side and then some better pics of the derailleurs.

    Unfortunatly as others here will tell you MTBs usually do not have alot of resale value. if you live near a big college or Metro area that will help both the price and how fast it will sell.






    MTB's are really undervalued based on their capabilities; however, the real killer is the fact that most were ridden hard and just run into the ground.
    Riding 19 Years of Specialized Sirrus Tradition.
    Live in Houston? Come to http://bicyclecommutehouston.blogspot.com/
    1988 Specialized Sirrus, 1989 Alpine Monitor Pass MTB, 2007 Specialized Sirrus 700C hybrid, 2007 Schwinn Town & Country trike, 1970 "Resto-Improved" Raleigh 20, 1970 "WIP" Raleigh 20, and 1980 "WIP" Schwinn Town & Country trike

  7. #7
    Senior Member skyrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Harrow Ontario
    My Bikes
    85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena
    Posts
    587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are very good riding bikes in my opinion American made also I think. I would think twice about selling it. Good to see Tmar around.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9,998
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strobeltom2 View Post
    Thanks, T-Mar. What's confusing to me is the serial #52010905222. Doesn't that mean it was built in late 2004 or 2005?
    I'm a total rookie so excuse the naive questions!
    I suspect a factory worker accidentally mixed up the placement of the stamps. The last "5" is definitely out of position. If you place that "5" somewhere after the first "2" and before the "9" you get a plausible serial number and a 1990 manufacturing date, indicating a 1990 or 1991 model. This correlates well with the production era for the XCE components and frame characteristics like the cantilever rear dropouts.

    I happen to have the 1990 catalog but not the 1991. The 1990 model came in two color schemes, black/white/magneta and Evergreen. Yours looks disctinctly blue, so I assume it's a 1991 model by process of elimination. Outside of the color, it is an excellent match with the catalog.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense to me. Thanks for your help!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be worth to buy one NOS for 350 Euros? seems to me that all parts in SM500 are US-Europe made: I mean not "el cheapoi" handlabour whatever the name they brand on them. If it was good then is it good now?

    Quote Originally Posted by skyrider View Post
    These are very good riding bikes in my opinion American made also I think. I would think twice about selling it. Good to see Tmar around.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Thumpic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Sunny South
    Posts
    1,597
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are great bikes. If you are just wanting the most bucks for the least effort, clean it good, tune it up and be patient. Ask 350 take anything over 250.
    Thumpic....

    Green is the new "CHEAP"

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    lansing, mi
    My Bikes
    1978 Centurion Pro Tour - 1988 Centurion Ironman Master
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happened across an 87 this weekend. I bought it as a flipper, but I put on some 700c wheels on to check for clearance and brake reach, and it looks pretty darn good. Now Im looking for 700c wheel sets and dirt drops, instead of prepping it for a sale listing. Darn this bicycle addiction...



  13. #13
    Still learning oddjob2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North of Canada, Adirondacks, NNJ
    My Bikes
    Too many
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beanteck View Post
    I happened across an 87 this weekend. I bought it as a flipper, but I put on some 700c wheels on to check for clearance and brake reach, and it looks pretty darn good. Now Im looking for 700c wheel sets and dirt drops, instead of prepping it for a sale listing. Darn this bicycle addiction...


    Your brake pads are hanging kinda low. I doubt 700c rims would work on a MTB frame.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. Albert Einstein
    2014 Additions: 1985 Trek 560, 1992 Trek Multitrack 700 (my 2nd), 1994 Trek Carbon 2200, Peugeot PX-10, 1981 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, Miyata 912

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    lansing, mi
    My Bikes
    1978 Centurion Pro Tour - 1988 Centurion Ironman Master
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
    Your brake pads are hanging kinda low. I doubt 700c rims would work on a MTB frame.

    Yeah, those roller cams will likely be sold on ebay to help fund the build. Both bridges are drilled for caliper brakes. I test fit with some light action ones I have lying around, and they line up perfectly on the wheels pictured.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •