Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Tic Tacs (__) (__) (__) wasabiboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    1974 Nishiki Competition



    I just bought it.
    Is there any specific history for this bike? Like what kind of tier (1st, 2nd, 3rd) would it have been on in 1974?

    Does anyone know how to restore the decals? Mine are roughed up like someone tried to remove the Nishiki text.





  2. #2
    Senior Member acoffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St Louis
    My Bikes
    93 RB1, 81 Schwinn Super Sport, 72 Moto GR, 74 Sports, 74 Nishiki International
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very very nice. That's a top tier bike. I've got a 74 international and absolutely love it, your bike is well above mine.

  3. #3
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,148
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Usual heirarchy puts the Competition at #2 below the Professional... had a later '83 Competition and the only difference between it and the Professional was componentry and in '83 the Comp was actually a better equipped bike as it was fitted with Suntour Mk 2 Cyclone.

    Looks like a great find... am not sure that anyone is doing repro decals for Nishikis (yet).

  4. #4
    Chrome Freak Rabid Koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    1971 Chrome Paramount P-13, 1972 Paramount P-13, 1973 Gitane Tour de France, 1974 Raleigh Professional
    Posts
    3,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Nishiki decals are fragile, on my long gone 73 International they were gone in a matter of months. On my 73 Competition, which was apparently put away when brand new, they are damaged but mostly still there. I love the early Nishikis, I rode the hell out of my International back in the day.



    1971 Paramount P-13 Chrome
    1972 Paramount P-15 Chrome
    1973 Paramount P-15 Opaque Blue
    1973 Gitane Tour De France
    1974 Raleigh Professional
    1991 Waterford Paramount

  5. #5
    Senior Member zukahn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver Co
    My Bikes
    Current 79 Nishiki Royal, Jeunet 620, 59 Crown Royal, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage.
    Posts
    4,040
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is a just a great bike as is I wouldn't twick on anything that is not worn out or broke. As for date my guess is 74-76. The wrap around chain stays seeem to date the bike along with the components noticiably higher end center pulls gives me little doubt this is a Disco era bike.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishiki_(bicycle)

  6. #6
    Chrome Freak Rabid Koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    1971 Chrome Paramount P-13, 1972 Paramount P-13, 1973 Gitane Tour de France, 1974 Raleigh Professional
    Posts
    3,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zukahn1 View Post
    This is a just a great bike as is I wouldn't twick on anything that is not worn out or broke. As for date my guess is 74-76. The wrap around chain stays seeem to date the bike along with the components noticiably higher end center pulls gives me little doubt this is a Disco era bike.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nishiki_(bicycle))
    That was interesting, I had no idea that West Coast Cycles was responsible for Royce Union.....

    I would guess that the OP's bike is a couple of years newer than my 73 due to the absence of chrome, but not too much newer due to similar decals. Either way it is a nice ride, and shows why Japanese manufacturers grabbed such a large market share.
    1971 Paramount P-13 Chrome
    1972 Paramount P-15 Chrome
    1973 Paramount P-15 Opaque Blue
    1973 Gitane Tour De France
    1974 Raleigh Professional
    1991 Waterford Paramount

  7. #7
    Senior Member acoffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St Louis
    My Bikes
    93 RB1, 81 Schwinn Super Sport, 72 Moto GR, 74 Sports, 74 Nishiki International
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VeloCals has Nishiki International decals from that era listen on their website. I would contact them and see if they can print a batch up for your Competition.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9,998
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hierarchy will depend on the actual year and how you determine hierachy. It could rank anywhere from 2nd to 4th. The decals place it 1972-1974 and possibly even early 1975, based on some new evidence. However, the fully painted forks place it in the latter portion of the timeframe. During 1972-1973 the top model was the Professional followed by the Road Compe, then the Safari and next the Competition. At the current time, there is no available Nishiki literature for 1974-1975 and my database does not show any known Road Compe from this period, so it is possible it may have been dropped. Also, while the Safari was priced higher than the Road Compe, many people do not count it, as it was a grand touring model and the price included panniers, handlebar bag, racks, fenders and a lighting sytem, which they consider artifically inflated the price of the basic bicycle.

    You should post this bicycle inthe Nishiki Serial Number Database thread, including the serial number and details of the components.

  9. #9
    Tic Tacs (__) (__) (__) wasabiboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know if that blue ink outlining the lugs original? It looks poorly done.

  10. #10
    Senior Member gaucho777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    My Bikes
    '72 Cilo Pacer • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe (753) • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90ish Parkpre Team MTB
    Posts
    3,456
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
    At the current time, there is no available Nishiki literature for 1974-1975 and my database does not show any known Road Compe from this period, so it is possible it may have been dropped.
    How would you differentiate between a '74 Competition and a '74 Road Compe (if it even existed). I have what I pegged as a 1974 Competition, but I wonder if it might be a Road Compe instead. Here's a link to my post of it in the Nishiki Serial Number Database: LINK. Apologies for the sidetrack.

    Quote Originally Posted by wasabiboi View Post
    Does anyone know if that blue ink outlining the lugs original? It looks poorly done.
    wasabiboi, I believe the lug lining is original. If you click the link above in my comment to T-Mar, you will see my Nishiki also has the same somewhat-crude, blue outlining, though over a different base color.
    -Randy

    '70 Cilo Pacer | '73 Ron Kitching/Speedwell Ti | '74 Nishiki Competition | '74 Peugeot UE-8 | '86 Look Equipe "Bernard Hinault" (Reynolds 753) | '89 Park Precision (Team ParkPre/Conejo Velo issue) | '90 Park Precision MTB (Team ParkPre/Conejo Velo issue)

    Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.

  11. #11
    Chrome Freak Rabid Koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    1971 Chrome Paramount P-13, 1972 Paramount P-13, 1973 Gitane Tour de France, 1974 Raleigh Professional
    Posts
    3,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was no blue lug lining (or any other color) on the Nishiki International that I bought new in early 1973, or on my current Competition of the same vintage. I also worked on a similar age International for my son's friend and it had no lug lining either.

    I will vote not original.
    1971 Paramount P-13 Chrome
    1972 Paramount P-15 Chrome
    1973 Paramount P-15 Opaque Blue
    1973 Gitane Tour De France
    1974 Raleigh Professional
    1991 Waterford Paramount

  12. #12
    Senior Member randyjawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
    My Bikes
    1982 Tomassini, 1963 Peugeot PX10, and eight special issue Canadian lightweights...
    Posts
    5,584
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a Competition but it is too big for me. I also have a Continental and today, I picked up a mid seventies Nishiki International at the Dump...

    Learn how to find, restore and maintain vintage road bicycles at... MY "TEN SPEEDS"

  13. #13
    I'm doing it wrong. RJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Roadeo, Rivendell Sam Hillborne.
    Posts
    1,679
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randyjawa View Post
    I also have a Competition but it is too big for me. I also have a Continental and today, I picked up a mid seventies Nishiki International at the Dump...

    Man, you have an awesome dump by you. BTW, that small Nishiki International I bought of you a few months back was a gift to my wife for Christmas; she absolutely loves it. It is a sweet bike.

    OP, that bike looks like it would be a blast to ride. What a great find.
    Quote Originally Posted by canam73 View Post
    Rivendells do not rock; they jamboree.

  14. #14
    Senior Member randyjawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
    My Bikes
    1982 Tomassini, 1963 Peugeot PX10, and eight special issue Canadian lightweights...
    Posts
    5,584
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, that small Nishiki International I bought of you a few months back was a gift to my wife for Christmas; she absolutely loves it. It is a sweet bike.
    I always like to hear that I have made someone happy, when I send them a bicycle. Thanks for the update and you're right - awesome Dump in Thunder Bay. I just love each trip there, score or not.
    Learn how to find, restore and maintain vintage road bicycles at... MY "TEN SPEEDS"

  15. #15
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,356
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaucho777 View Post
    How would you differentiate between a '74 Competition and a '74 Road Compe (if it even existed). I have what I pegged as a 1974 Competition, but I wonder if it might be a Road Compe instead. Here's a link to my post of it in the Nishiki Serial Number Database: LINK. Apologies for the sidetrack.
    The Road Compe was full seamless CrMo; the Competition, main tubes only.


    Quote Originally Posted by gaucho777 View Post
    wasabiboi, I believe the lug lining is original. If you click the link above in my comment to T-Mar, you will see my Nishiki also has the same somewhat-crude, blue outlining, though over a different base color.
    You guys should have seen the paint-chrome juncture on the forks of my 1971 American Eagle Semi Pro (Nishiki Competition). No wonder the factory covered them w/ tacky silver decals!
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  16. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Nishika Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
    Hierarchy will depend on the actual year and how you determine hierachy. It could rank anywhere from 2nd to 4th. The decals place it 1972-1974 and possibly even early 1975, based on some new evidence. However, the fully painted forks place it in the latter portion of the timeframe. During 1972-1973 the top model was the Professional followed by the Road Compe, then the Safari and next the Competition. At the current time, there is no available Nishiki literature for 1974-1975 and my database does not show any known Road Compe from this period, so it is possible it may have been dropped. Also, while the Safari was priced higher than the Road Compe, many people do not count it, as it was a grand touring model and the price included panniers, handlebar bag, racks, fenders and a lighting sytem, which they consider artifically inflated the price of the basic bicycle.

    You should post this bicycle inthe Nishiki Serial Number Database thread, including the serial number and details of the components.
    This is my first time using this foum. I just bought a Nishika Competition, Sun Tour V6 componets If the s. number is in the lower part it is S284502 the 2 is partially blocked out. Any info?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    My Bikes
    1990 Miyata 914, 1993 Koga Miyata Road Gentleman, 1993 Koga Miyata World Traveller, 1983 Fuji TS IV, Univega Via De Oro, 1972 Nishiki Professional
    Posts
    888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1974 Nishiki Professional that is one of the best bikes I own. The quality of the ride is outstanding. And to point you to one resource, you can find the 1974 Nishiki brochure on Velobase here.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.
    T.J.

  18. #18
    Chrome Freak Rabid Koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    1971 Chrome Paramount P-13, 1972 Paramount P-13, 1973 Gitane Tour de France, 1974 Raleigh Professional
    Posts
    3,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the ride of my Competition. It is somewhat heavy compared to my other bikes, but is smooth and comfortable.
    1971 Paramount P-13 Chrome
    1972 Paramount P-15 Chrome
    1973 Paramount P-15 Opaque Blue
    1973 Gitane Tour De France
    1974 Raleigh Professional
    1991 Waterford Paramount

  19. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    My Bikes
    Nishiki semi pro
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to this site and this is my first post so please excuse what ever errors I may make. For the last 40 years I've done a lot of touring on my Nishiki Semi Pro. I bought the bike at Green Lake Bicycles in Seattle in 1972. I want to rebuild it with original parts so I am looking for an original model (semi pro or competition) or original parts. I live in Alaska so opportunities for finding what I am looking for are not good. So I am looking for adviseApp0008.jpg and where to go to get what I want. posted is a picture of my bike in South America in 1973, Thanks

  20. #20
    Tic Tacs (__) (__) (__) wasabiboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slugg View Post
    I am new to this site and this is my first post so please excuse what ever errors I may make. For the last 40 years I've done a lot of touring on my Nishiki Semi Pro. I bought the bike at Green Lake Bicycles in Seattle in 1972. I want to rebuild it with original parts so I am looking for an original model (semi pro or competition) or original parts. I live in Alaska so opportunities for finding what I am looking for are not good. So I am looking for adviseApp0008.jpg and where to go to get what I want. posted is a picture of my bike in South America in 1973, Thanks

    I have actually converted my 1974 nishiki into a fixed gear. It's a little sad to see it go, but it's living a new life now. Deep down under the new paint and parts, it's still a Nishiki at heart.

    I replaced many parts from it. Would you be interested in purchasing them?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •