Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    1983 Colnago Master Modern or Vintage Components

    1983 Colnago Master Modern or Vintage Components
    (originally put this message in the wrong forum section)

    I recently purchased a 1983 Colnago Master in near mint condition. The owner replaced the Super Record Components with a Veloce 9speed gruppo over 10 years ago. I having trouble deciding whether to keep the current set up or bring the bike back to its original condition with Super Record. I have most of the super record parts except for brake levers, hubs and brakes. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks

    Here is a photo-and yes the bar tape has to go.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/66271322@N05/6450646251/in/photostream
    Last edited by perseus; 01-01-12 at 07:20 PM. Reason: wrong link

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    10,237
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Perseus,

    Welcome to the forum!

    I grabbed a link from your previous post, so here's your Colnago!

    She has big time potential.



    I noticed your link in the post above came up with an error message. Please check it!

  3. #3
    vjp
    vjp is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change the tape, match the tires and you are good to go!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 single speed road
    Posts
    4,352
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can change it, and i expect you want to. i know how it is. but don't expect your friends, even bicycling friends to notice or care very much. i know how it is...

    edit. but do replace the tape and tire.

  5. #5
    Senior Member toytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    san leandro
    My Bikes
    enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......
    Posts
    1,439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote keep it modern, my similar vintage Mexico
    "Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day."--Harry S. Truman

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Master frames are good ones to play with, as far as build, since the same basic design existed over a long period, and it works aesthetically. '83 is really early for a Master frame, though - I don't believe the Master was being produced in 1983, though pretty sure it was by '84.
    Last edited by Picchio Special; 01-02-12 at 08:23 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    10,237
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picchio Special View Post
    Master frames are good ones to play with, as far as build, since the same basic design existed over a long period, and it works aesthetically. '83 is really early for a Master frame, though - I don't believe the Master was being produced in 1983, though pretty sure it was by '84.
    1984 sounds about right.

    We had a long talk at the shop the other day about framesets that sit unsold in their basement.

    When a buyer purchases a frameset, this often is mistakenly imprinted in their memory as the "year" of that particular bicycle.

    Case in point. I purchased a used Chris Kvale frameset early last summer from a fellow in Iowa. He told me on the phone that he had purchased the bicycle from a gent that worked in a local shop.

    He told me the year of the frameset based on the receipt he received, not on the actual build date.

    I've figured out the actual date by talking to the builder, and from a trusted local bicycle historian.

    Again Picchio, it is always helpful having your eyes on these Colnagos.

    Sorts some of the nonsense quickly and efficiently.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gomango View Post
    1984 sounds about right.

    We had a long talk at the shop the other day about framesets that sit unsold in their basement.

    When a buyer purchases a frameset, this often is mistakenly imprinted in their memory as the "year" of that particular bicycle.

    Case in point. I purchased a used Chris Kvale frameset early last summer from a fellow in Iowa. He told me on the phone that he had purchased the bicycle from a gent that worked in a local shop.

    He told me the year of the frameset based on the receipt he received, not on the actual build date.

    I've figured out the actual date by talking to the builder, and from a trusted local bicycle historian.

    Again Picchio, it is always helpful having your eyes on these Colnagos.

    Sorts some of the nonsense quickly and efficiently.
    I've been a bit out of the loop and my chops aren't what they were, since I've been doing more of a thing I call "riding my bike."

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    10,237
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picchio Special View Post
    I've been a bit out of the loop and my chops aren't what they were, since I've been doing more of a thing I call "riding my bike."
    Wondering where you were.

    Whatever possessed you to do such a thing?

    FWIW We had a great ride Saturday, and fairly long at that.

    Snowed Saturday night, so we broke out the cross country skis yesterday.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gomango View Post
    Wondering where you were.

    Whatever possessed you to do such a thing?

    FWIW We had a great ride Saturday, and fairly long at that.

    Snowed Saturday night, so we broke out the cross country skis yesterday.
    I haven't ridden a ton the past 3 years because of a bad hip, which I've been aggressively rehabbing. I've ridden with the local bike club the past couple of weeks in my winter gear. I'm determined to be ready to go in the spring. Plus have a new Kurt trainer. It has taken a bit of focus away from the vintage stuff, temporarily.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    STP
    Posts
    10,237
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picchio Special View Post
    I haven't ridden a ton the past 3 years because of a bad hip, which I've been aggressively rehabbing. I've ridden with the local bike club the past couple of weeks in my winter gear. I'm determined to be ready to go in the spring. Plus have a new Kurt trainer. It has taken a bit of focus away from the vintage stuff, temporarily.
    Much luck with the rehab!

    I gained a ton of weight after knee surgery, and various complications.

    Staying on my bicycles has been the best path for me, as I've lost most of the weight gain last riding season.

    I'll be returning to racing for the first time in twenty years with a off road race called the Almonzo 100.

    So it should be worth all of the hard work and miles.

    FWIW I won't be riding vintage for this event.

  12. #12
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,653
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I vote to leave it modern, and ride it.
    Based on the photo, I'd:

    sell the Super Record stuff for a ridiculous price

    install a black saddle
    install pedals
    wrap the bars in black Lizardskin
    Turn the front wheel around
    Get rid of both tires for some Conti's

    take some good photos so we can all drool over it
    ride it about 10,000 miles.

    Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by RobbieTunes; 01-02-12 at 11:20 AM.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    1995 Hot Tubes TT
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2014 Wraith Hustle
    2014 Wraith Paycheck

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    My Bikes
    '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis
    Posts
    5,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gomango View Post
    Much luck with the rehab!

    I gained a ton of weight after knee surgery, and various complications.

    Staying on my bicycles has been the best path for me, as I've lost most of the weight gain last riding season.

    I'll be returning to racing for the first time in twenty years with a off road race called the Almonzo 100.

    So it should be worth all of the hard work and miles.

    FWIW I won't be riding vintage for this event.
    I have some longer rides picked out as goals for 2012, if the hip holds up. Weight is actually the lowest it's been in years, oddly. Now just need to get the climbing legs back.

  14. #14
    @$#!?&!!$ junkfoodjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Green Country, OK
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for riding it how it is. I agree with RT black saddle and wrap.
    Looks like a lovely ride.

    Jake

  15. #15
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,653
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Re: modern vs. classic components.....

    Sophia Loren looks no less fabulous in today's fashions.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    1995 Hot Tubes TT
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2014 Wraith Hustle
    2014 Wraith Paycheck

  16. #16
    Senior Member jr59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the 904, Jax fl
    Posts
    2,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the old stuff for how it looks, Red-Eddy-Merckx-021.jpg
    but,
    I love the modern for the ease of it and it really works well. 283841_1916305948884_1279038767_31824922_2516538_n.jpg

    If you want to make this a daily rider, keep the modern, if it's to be a Sunday stroller the SR.
    Gravity hates us all, but it hates me more than thin people!

  17. #17
    Senior Member mazdaspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    WA state
    Posts
    4,816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold the super record parts off my '83 colnago super and am in the process of converting it to campy 10 speed... Don't know if you've ridden on SR but IMO the brakes alone are a deal breaker

  18. #18
    Senior Member kvnmuadib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    deep in the heart of jersey
    My Bikes
    79-80 derosa 80 merckx 89 peugeot dolomites 93 bianchi tsx
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a sharp eyed member has alerted you to the untraditional front wheel quick release placement from your pic..I read it has something to do with ease of tightening /adjusting though how that could apply equally to righties and lefties is beyond me,maybe in a race situation where your wheels were both being changed out by a crew woud it be more convenient, who knows..if you persist in that goofy footed placement no doubt some one will point it out as a newbie error whilst on the road...I have even been informed that you will be running the bearings backwards with all that potential for ruin..... and as a cotrarian view you could always use a mix of old and new parts if it suits you ..its your bike ...have fun
    tell me of your homeworld .....usul

  19. #19
    Senior Member haddawad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    brooklyn, ny usa
    My Bikes
    '62 Atala Professional, '70 Frejus Campione del Mondo, '73 Galmozzi, '78 Guerciotti SL, '78 Masi GC, '79 Pogliaghi, '84 Cinelli SC, '85 Colnago Equilateral, '86 Gios Professional, '84 Fuji Track
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with Super Record because you would be a more active part of the bike. Index shifting takes some of the skill and thought out of riding. Don't lose you skills!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U can even put SR11 in that bike man. Personally I like more old bikes when they find the new stuff. My steel rides have everything new, tossed all the classic campy stuff long time ago, got tired of it. The other thing is that prices for the old stuff are so high that the bike will look sexier and cheaper to build using new stuff.

    The same is happening now with NOS campagnolo record 10 stuff, is cheaper go to 11.

  21. #21
    Steel is real, baby! frpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    My Bikes
    1987 Basso Gap; 1987 Specialized Sirrus; 1990 Miyata 721A
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have an early/mid '80s Concorde with a modern-ish SRAM Rival 10 spd gruppo.

    I also have a 1985 Raleigh Racing USA Team frame with period correct components Suntour Superbe Pro; friction downtube shifters; etc.

    Both are excellent riding and handling bikes.

    I ride the Concorde WAY more than the Raleigh.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to thank everyone for their input and time they took to help me out. As a newbie, my learning curve is going through the roof. I have decided to keep it modern. The modern is in perfect condition. I just purchased a Pinarello frame for the Super Record Components. I am going to post pics tonight.

  23. #23
    Iconoclast rat fink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    3,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frpax View Post
    I currently have an early/mid '80s Concorde with a modern-ish SRAM Rival 10 spd gruppo.
    I don't think I've seen this. I'd love to see pics of it.
    "Winning is the best deodorant. Someone can look at your bike and say it stinks, but if you win with it, suddenly it's okay." - Jim Busby

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •