Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    RFC
    RFC is offline
    Senior Member RFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    many
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question please re wider (35-37mm) Paselas

    I generally use 23mm tires on my road bikes. Lately, I have been putting 28mm Panaracer Paselas on my sports/tour bikes and like them. They ride well on a variety of surfaces and have proven to be durable.

    I'm thinking about trying 35's or 37's. What do you think of the wider tires? What difference can I expect in terms of performance?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ecrevisse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Luckenbach, Texas
    My Bikes
    '94 Rivendell (original), '98 Rivendell, '80 Cinelli Supercorsa, '90 Cinelli Supercorsa, '83 Bianchi Specialissima, '57 DeRosa Replica, '65 DeRosa Replica, '74 Davidson, '82 Mercian Vincitore, '96 Richard Sachs. '79 Richard Sachs
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycle Quarterly has a few articles on tire sizes, pros and cons.

    The Dangers of Narrow Tires

    The Downsides of Wide Tires
    Lache pas la patate

  3. #3
    Senior Member jeirvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been pondering the same thing: putting some 700c rims on one of my 27 1/4" bikes, and riding bigger, lower pressure tires. It'd be cheaper than going full blown 650b route, and the 4mm difference should make room for some bigger tires.
    I have the right number of bikes, I just don't have all the right ones quite yet.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Chris Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    near north side
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jeirvine, I did just that and was able to fit a 37mm tire on my old gitane sports tourer. I went with a cheapy tire though, kenda kwest, and it kind of deadens the ride. so if you try it , it might be worth spending up a nicer tire. I have one I'm going to put on come spring.

  5. #5
    Wookie Jesus inspires me. Puget Pounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,225
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's on a road bike, >32mm tires makes the ride too sluggish for me in my opinion. 28-32 is the sweet spot for a sport-tourer IMO.

  6. #6
    Carpe Velo Yo Spiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Posts
    2,499
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to try the Pasela in a 35 width, I have one of them that won't fit the intended recipient bike. If you would like it, you can have it for what it costs to ship it to you.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mercian Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom
    Posts
    764
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW Pasela Tourguard 35s measure 32 for me. I used to ride 32s, which measured 28.
    No Fun. No ride.

    ~Paul "Bonehead" Lehman

  8. #8
    Old. Slow. Happy. MileHighMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    Posts
    1,339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RFC View Post
    I generally use 23mm tires on my road bikes. Lately, I have been putting 28mm Panaracer Paselas on my sports/tour bikes and like them. They ride well on a variety of surfaces and have proven to be durable.

    I'm thinking about trying 35's or 37's. What do you think of the wider tires? What difference can I expect in terms of performance?

    Thanks
    Wider tires are a gateway drug. Pretty soon you'll be exploring gravel and dirt roads. Next thing you know you're considering brevets, or -gasp- gravel grinders.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

  9. #9
    RFC
    RFC is offline
    Senior Member RFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    many
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    Wider tires are a gateway drug. Pretty soon you'll be exploring gravel and dirt roads. Next thing you know you're considering brevets, or -gasp- gravel grinders.
    Actually, gravel grinders sound like a lot of fun.

  10. #10
    WNG
    WNG is offline
    Spin Forest! Spin! WNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Arrid Zone-a
    My Bikes
    I used to have many. And I Will again.
    Posts
    5,901
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 35mm Kenda tough pavement tires on one of my rides. Outfitted to be more robust than weight-conscious. At max pressure, the ride/resistance is not an issue for me on tarmac. After returning from dusty trails, I can see the bike is riding on < 10mm of tread on roads.
    They've allowed me to tackle horse trails, canal paths, small gravel. I've enjoyed the versatility of wider spec tires and have been flat-free since Fall.
    “You meet the nicest people on two wheels!"
    "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." ~Albert Einstein

  11. #11
    RFC
    RFC is offline
    Senior Member RFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    many
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WNG View Post
    I have 35mm Kenda tough pavement tires on one of my rides. Outfitted to be more robust than weight-conscious. At max pressure, the ride/resistance is not an issue for me on tarmac. After returning from dusty trails, I can see the bike is riding on < 10mm of tread on roads.
    They've allowed me to tackle horse trails, canal paths, small gravel. I've enjoyed the versatility of wider spec tires and have been flat-free since Fall.
    Have you tried the SRP canal path east of Pima across the reservation? I rode part of it with 32's, which were generally OK accept for a rough spots and washouts.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Iowegian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Boulder, Colo
    Posts
    1,724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
    If you want to try the Pasela in a 35 width, I have one of them that won't fit the intended recipient bike. If you would like it, you can have it for what it costs to ship it to you.
    I'd be interested in that tire if the OP isn't. I have a set of 35's but one has the rubber molded off-center at one spot. It looks goofy and I swear I can feel it hop when I ride it but that could be my imagination I suppose. In any case, if the OP doesn't take you up on your offer, let me know and I'll find something to trade for it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member jeirvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered a pair of 35s for my early 80s Peugeot. I'll post pics if it works out.
    -J
    Last edited by jeirvine; 02-02-12 at 03:56 PM. Reason: edited
    I have the right number of bikes, I just don't have all the right ones quite yet.

  14. #14
    RFC
    RFC is offline
    Senior Member RFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    many
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowegian View Post
    I'd be interested in that tire if the OP isn't. I have a set of 35's but one has the rubber molded off-center at one spot. It looks goofy and I swear I can feel it hop when I ride it but that could be my imagination I suppose. In any case, if the OP doesn't take you up on your offer, let me know and I'll find something to trade for it.
    Please go ahead. I just ordered a pair of 37's for my cross bike. Never in my life did I think that I'd put 37mm road tires on a bike. This should be fun.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    My Bikes
    A few
    Posts
    889
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have different widths on different bikes. Pasela 35s on one bike measure 33 and I like them a lot. Conti and Pasela 32s on a couple other bikes measure 28 and 31 respectively. I am with Puget Pounder, in feeling that 28 - 32 provide the best widths for sport touring. Plenty of cushioning for a nice smooth ride while feeling nimble.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.
    T.J.

  16. #16
    RFC
    RFC is offline
    Senior Member RFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    many
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciufalon View Post
    I have different widths on different bikes. Pasela 35s on one bike measure 33 and I like them a lot. Conti and Pasela 32s on a couple other bikes measure 28 and 31 respectively. I am with Puget Pounder, in feeling that 28 - 32 provide the best widths for sport touring. Plenty of cushioning for a nice smooth ride while feeling nimble.
    I agree about 28's being the sweet spot for sport touring. I'm going to put these on my cyclocross for gravel trails.

  17. #17
    Get off my lawn! Velognome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Garden State
    My Bikes
    1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman
    Posts
    5,164
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I went from 25mm Pasela TG to 32mm. I think there was a slight increase in rolling resistance but that could be all in my mind cuz the ride is sooooooooooooooo smooooth, they just gotta be slower right? Both tires were ridden at max pressure. IMHO, go for it!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Captain Blight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course
    Posts
    2,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paselas are nice. I'd also look at the T-Serv Pro for Messenger-- tons of wet grip, puncture resistant, tolerably lightweight with a folding bead, and reasonably priced. Nicer ride than the Paselas for my money, too.

    Also, the Challenge Parigi-Rubaix are really a lovely ride, though a bit more expensive.
    Last edited by Captain Blight; 02-02-12 at 07:47 PM.
    '71 Raleigh Super Course ("Loose Change")
    '74 Raleigh Professional
    '7? VeloSolex L'Etoile rando build ("Chocolate Star")
    '77 Peugeot UE/O-8/10/9 mongrel
    '81 Trek 616
    '87 Trek 560 Pro Series
    '88 Schwinn Impact ("Burning Chrome")
    '92 Specialized Allez Comp
    '08 Specialized Crossroads winterbike ("Icicle the Bicycle")

  19. #19
    WNG
    WNG is offline
    Spin Forest! Spin! WNG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Arrid Zone-a
    My Bikes
    I used to have many. And I Will again.
    Posts
    5,901
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RFC View Post
    Have you tried the SRP canal path east of Pima across the reservation? I rode part of it with 32's, which were generally OK accept for a rough spots and washouts.
    No, but looks like a nice one to try. I haven't managed to find a 'public' route to cross the Salt River at about Red Mountain-North Mesa. Google Maps claims bikes can cross at the end of E. Thomas Rd. But it's gated and looks like a construction quarry. I also tried at Power Rd/Bush Hwy. At the dam that feeds most of these canals. But I faced a DO NOT TRESPASS sign. The only known route presently is to head north on Gilbert Rd. to the Beeline Hwy. Off my beaten path.

    Last week I tried the Consolidated Canal and Western Canal in the Southeast, to put in a birthday ride. Lot's of fun, I was on my cross bike, the wider tarmac tires had no trouble and I confidently kept a good pace on the loose stuff.
    “You meet the nicest people on two wheels!"
    "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." ~Albert Einstein

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pearland, Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Posts
    5,395
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RFC, I'm semi new to running 35 mm tires on a road bike (rebranded Pasalas). Because of the drought causing extensive road damage I actually rode the touring bike much more than my roadie equipped with 23 mm tires last year, and probably will again this year. I haven't had a problem with setting tire pressure at 65 PSI when unladen.

    Performance wise I do notice that the much heavier wheelset and tires are slower to accelerate, but not too different at cruise.

    Brad

  21. #21
    RFC
    RFC is offline
    Senior Member RFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    many
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WNG View Post
    No, but looks like a nice one to try. I haven't managed to find a 'public' route to cross the Salt River at about Red Mountain-North Mesa. Google Maps claims bikes can cross at the end of E. Thomas Rd. But it's gated and looks like a construction quarry. I also tried at Power Rd/Bush Hwy. At the dam that feeds most of these canals. But I faced a DO NOT TRESPASS sign. The only known route presently is to head north on Gilbert Rd. to the Beeline Hwy. Off my beaten path.

    Last week I tried the Consolidated Canal and Western Canal in the Southeast, to put in a birthday ride. Lot's of fun, I was on my cross bike, the wider tarmac tires had no trouble and I confidently kept a good pace on the loose stuff.
    Last summer, on the spur of the moment, I rode part of the canal path from Pima east. It was a very hot day and I got about 10 miles in when I realized I would run out of water long before I got to Red Mountain and back, so I high tailed it home. There are no 7-11's on the reservation. I am going to ride it again this spring with adequate water. Those are mostly agricultural lands with lots of open ditch irrigation along the canal that appears to run year round. As a result, there are a whole series of "mini" ecosystems. I probably saw 30 species of birds, including a number I have never before seen in AZ.

  22. #22
    RFC
    RFC is offline
    Senior Member RFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    many
    Posts
    4,430
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
    RFC, I'm semi new to running 35 mm tires on a road bike (rebranded Pasalas). Because of the drought causing extensive road damage I actually rode the touring bike much more than my roadie equipped with 23 mm tires last year, and probably will again this year. I haven't had a problem with setting tire pressure at 65 PSI when unladen.

    Performance wise I do notice that the much heavier wheelset and tires are slower to accelerate, but not too different at cruise.



    Brad
    Yes, acceleration is where you would notice the difference in weight. I didn't realize the TX drought damaged the roads.

  23. #23
    Senior Member tarwheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Gunnar Crosshairs, De Bernardi SL
    Posts
    6,100
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried the Clement Strada folders in 700x28? Prices are very reasonable and, unlike many wider tires, they are available in all black. I prefer all black because I've found that tan sidewalls get really nasty looking after riding in the rain a few times.

    I'm using Conti GP 4 Season 28s right now and they are excellent, relatively light weight and low rolling resistance. However, the prices for Conti tires have gone through the roof lately.

  24. #24
    Wherever I may roam....
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Topton Pa
    My Bikes
    A few bikes
    Posts
    1,459
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running 32 Pasellas on 2 of my bikes, 37s on another and 35s on yet another. I really like them. I'm using Vittoria Hyper Randos (35) on my Bianchi Volpe and REALLY like them, roll fast and give a nice ride. That said, Pasellas are my favorite reasonably priced tires. Run em!
    Emails are quicker.... RobvanI-81@hotmail.com

  25. #25
    Senior Member john hawrylak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Woodstown NJ
    My Bikes
    1975 Schwinn Voyageur II (Made by Panasonic), 1988 Schwinn Voyaguer (touring)
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought Pasela TGs in 27x1-1/4 (630-32) and found they measured 31.3 mm at 80 psig. They also had the newer V-shaped tread. Very smooth ride. You may want to stay with the 27" rims.
    John Hawrylak
    Woodstown NJ

    1975 Schwinn Voyageur II
    1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •