Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-12, 12:24 PM   #1
kc0yef
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kc0yef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Olympia WA
Bikes: Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mizutani Super Seraph

Took these pictures for a friend
anyone know about this bike?





kc0yef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 04:09 PM   #2
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com
Posts: 2,928
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know much about the brand but I think they have one of the coolest head badges. Woof! That one is in great shape, the frame and lugs looks like a dead ringer for an early Fuji Finest, especially around the seat tube lug. Here's a '76 I owned at one point:





Scott
ScottRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 08:28 PM   #3
kc0yef
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kc0yef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Olympia WA
Bikes: Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed the lugs on the Forks look just like my stable of Nishiki's also...
kc0yef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 08:29 AM   #4
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 11,686
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
serial number?
T-Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 12:40 PM   #5
kc0yef
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kc0yef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Olympia WA
Bikes: Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
serial number?
783025
kc0yef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 12:54 PM   #6
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 11,686
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0yef View Post
783025
Thxs. That's interesting. It's rare for Asian manufacturers not to incorpoate at least one alpha character. The only exception I'm aware of is Kuwahara and this isn't their format.
T-Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 03:25 AM   #7
ftwelder
Senior Member
 
ftwelder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: vermont
Bikes: Many
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the early 80's and older Japanese distributor "Mizutani" came to visit the Yeti factory when I worked there. We had a huge barrel filled with beverages for the guests as well as condiments etc. The dud swaggered over the the barrel, grabbed a pint of coffee-mate and chugged it like a football star.
ftwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 05:19 AM   #8
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.
Posts: 5,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 11:46 AM   #9
vannergy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
common lugs/forks

When I was working in a bike shop back in the mid-70's, the word was, most of the Japanese bikes were made in one or two or maybe three factories. Nishiki, azuki, takara, mizutani (the lesser known of all), fuji, kobe, shogun, lotus, centurion/REI, volkscycle, campanayia?, and many, many, more. I'm not sure what all, or if all I've listed were from the same factory. I appreciate the fuji photos along side the mizutani and the nishiki coment. These comments varify what I thought might have urban-legend slants to them.
vannergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 01:41 PM   #10
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 11,686
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannergy View Post
When I was working in a bike shop back in the mid-70's, the word was, most of the Japanese bikes were made in one or two or maybe three factories. Nishiki, azuki, takara, mizutani (the lesser known of all), fuji, kobe, shogun, lotus, centurion/REI, volkscycle, campanayia?, and many, many, more. I'm not sure what all, or if all I've listed were from the same factory. I appreciate the fuji photos along side the mizutani and the nishiki coment. These comments varify what I thought might have urban-legend slants to them.
There were certainly more than two or three, try at least 2 or 3 dozen! I'm currently working on a chart to cross reference C&V brands to Asian manufacturers and their serial number formats. I'm just about to top 100 brands and companies!

Of the ones you've listed, Azuki and Nishiki were manufactured by primarily by Giant and Kawamura. Kuwahara manufactured most Takara. Centurion was manufactured by Fairly, Katakura, Matsu****a, Mikki, Tano and others. Lotus was manufactured by Tsunoda and Pacific, among others. Shogun came primarily from Mikki and Yamaguchi. Fuji was manufacturerd by Fuji and various subcontractors. I'm not sure about the others but we've already hit a dozen different manufacturers just covering a portion of your list. If you want an idea of the number of manufacturers used by brands, just check out my Centuion Serial Number Database, Fuji Serial Number Database and Nishiki Serial Number Database threads on this forum.
T-Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 02:16 PM   #11
kiwigem
Fahrrad Mama
 
kiwigem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwelder View Post
In the early 80's and older Japanese distributor "Mizutani" came to visit the Yeti factory when I worked there. We had a huge barrel filled with beverages for the guests as well as condiments etc. The dud swaggered over the the barrel, grabbed a pint of coffee-mate and chugged it like a football star.
Wait- what? Are you serious?
kiwigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 10:58 PM   #12
vannergy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
There were certainly more than two or three, try at least 2 or 3 dozen! I'm currently working on a chart to cross reference C&V brands to Asian manufacturers and their serial number formats. I'm just about to top 100 brands and companies!

Of the ones you've listed, Azuki and Nishiki were manufactured by primarily by Giant and Kawamura. Kuwahara manufactured most Takara. Centurion was manufactured by Fairly, Katakura, Matsu****a, Mikki, Tano and others. Lotus was manufactured by Tsunoda and Pacific, among others. Shogun came primarily from Mikki and Yamaguchi. Fuji was manufacturerd by Fuji and various subcontractors. I'm not sure about the others but we've already hit a dozen different manufacturers just covering a portion of your list. If you want an idea of the number of manufacturers used by brands, just check out my Centuion Serial Number Database, Fuji Serial Number Database and Nishiki Serial Number Database threads on this forum.
Thanks T-Mar for clearing up some of the fog that legends develope over time. Sounds pretty complicated. I currently own an "sr" semi-pro. Any guess which factory made it?
vannergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 11:01 AM   #13
MizutaniRider
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mizutani Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0yef View Post
Took these pictures for a friend
anyone know about this bike?





I know it's been a few years since your post...I purchased the same bike/same color 1974 from Cycle Smithy, LBS ~ 2424-1/2 Clark Street, Chicago, and own it still. It's been a great friend. When I bought it, it was similar to, but less $ than, Raleigh's Competition. Cycle Smithy changed out the wheels/tires for clinchers, as I was averse to tubeless on Chicago streets. Regret not buying the 2nd set of wheels, but simply didn't have it then. Still riding!
MizutaniRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 06:51 PM   #14
Lascauxcaveman 
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.
Posts: 4,186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
^ Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, post some pics of your bike. We don't see a lot of these around here.
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1972 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte ● 1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1982 Bianchi Limited ● 1983 Nishiki Landau ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Trek 600 ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1985 Raleigh Elkhorn ● 1986 Univega Nuovo Sport ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Rleigh Technium ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ● And a Bike to Be Named Later ●
Lascauxcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 09:01 PM   #15
Pars 
Senior Member
 
Pars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Aurora, IL
Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My brother had one of these (different color) back in the '70s in Iowa. It was stolen within a year, though I thought I saw a kid riding it. Never caught up with him (on foot).
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:02 PM.