Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-12, 06:09 PM   #1
Shutter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rubber grommet for internal cables ???

I found an old thread on this but I'm looking to see if anybody has any fresh ideas...

I am looking for rubber grommets for the internal cables on my Miele frame..

Here's dome pics..

.

.
Shutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 06:17 PM   #2
triplebutted
Senior Member
 
triplebutted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write
Posts: 1,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a bike like that once and I wondered what I would do if I lost that piece. I figure a brake noodle and some rubber washers might work. Good luck, I'm not envying that project
triplebutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 06:22 PM   #3
Shutter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebutted View Post
I had a bike like that once and I wondered what I would do if I lost that piece. I figure a brake noodle and some rubber washers might work. Good luck, I'm not envying that project
Thanks =)

I was thinking of getting an aluminum tube slightly larger than the the top tube (just the right size so the top tube could slide into it) then cutting ovals out of it slightly larger than the oval hole in the frame (this way the oval would have the correct rounding to it to fit the tube)

then I could drill an angle hole in them JUST the size of cable housing, polish them both up, and glue them onto the top tube over those holes
Shutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 06:25 PM   #4
triplebutted
Senior Member
 
triplebutted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write
Posts: 1,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a brilliant idea!! But make it slightly temporary. You never know when you'll come up to a frame in someones garbage that has the exact piece you are looking for!
triplebutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 06:26 PM   #5
Shutter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebutted View Post
That's a brilliant idea!! But make it slightly temporary. You never know when you'll come up to a frame in someones garbage that has the exact piece you are looking for!
Thanks!

True... I will glue them on with silicone because that will hold well and come off easily with a little elbow grease
Shutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 06:37 PM   #6
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,331
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
IIRC the originals were a molded rubber bit (Gipiemme made?) that snapped into the oval hole. I suppose you could find a round rubber grommet and squish it to fit the oval. The center hole would become more of a slit than a hole, but might grip the housing OK or you could help the grip with some silicone glue. Your idea of fabricating oval AL plates sounds slicker, but any angle you drill thu really thin stock won't offer much "angled" surface for the housing. I wonder if you could take it farther (and more complicated) by bending a piece of it inward to create an angled tab, drill a hole in that tab for a step-down ferrule...glue everything in place with silicone sealant...if I keep thinking I might have to draw a diagram!
unworthy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 06:49 PM   #7
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NC
Bikes: at Pedal Room
Posts: 20,589
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
I'll bet some machinist here could make you one.
__________________

Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

Friends don't let friends drink and wrench.

1985 Raleigh Competition Racing USA Series-Coleman made me do it.....
1987 Bridgestone Radac - Aluminum (sadly, the frame is toast, RD hanger snapped off)
1988 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Master - Steel
1989 Centurion Carbon-R - Carbon Fiber

http://www.pedalroom.com/members/RobbieTunes
RobbieTunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 07:00 PM   #8
Shutter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unworthy1 View Post
IIRC the originals were a molded rubber bit (Gipiemme made?) that snapped into the oval hole. I suppose you could find a round rubber grommet and squish it to fit the oval. The center hole would become more of a slit than a hole, but might grip the housing OK or you could help the grip with some silicone glue. Your idea of fabricating oval AL plates sounds slicker, but any angle you drill thu really thin stock won't offer much "angled" surface for the housing. I wonder if you could take it farther (and more complicated) by bending a piece of it inward to create an angled tab, drill a hole in that tab for a step-down ferrule...glue everything in place with silicone sealant...if I keep thinking I might have to draw a diagram!
thanks! well.. what I think I might do it drill a hole a little smaller then hear up... I mean REALLY heat up a piece of drill rod, insert it, and then bend it down.. this will form a bit of an angled slot in the aluminum and the hot drill rod will open up the hole a bit... I may do it out of REALLY thin aluminum or just 2" copper pipe...
Shutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 07:02 PM   #9
RobbieTunes 
Idiot Pro Tempo
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NC
Bikes: at Pedal Room
Posts: 20,589
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
Thanks =)

I was thinking of getting an aluminum tube slightly larger than the the top tube (just the right size so the top tube could slide into it) then cutting ovals out of it slightly larger than the oval hole in the frame (this way the oval would have the correct rounding to it to fit the tube)

then I could drill an angle hole in them JUST the size of cable housing, polish them both up, and glue them onto the top tube over those holes
Find a the same diameter of PVC pipe. Cut 2 pcs about 2mm larger in the same oval shape.
Find a long ferrule, cut off the end so both ends are open, that's your guide.
Hold the 2 PVC ovals together and drill a hole through both at the angle you want, the size of the ferrule.
Continue to hold the two PVC ovals together, and slide in the ferrule piece. Adjust for depth.
Now, remove the "top" piece of PVC oval, and paint the top and edges flat black.
Keep the ferrule inserted at an angle into the "bottom" piece of PVC oval.
Slide it out just enough to super-glue around the ferrule, and slide it back in. Let it dry.
Now, turn the assembly sideways and insert it into the hole.
Turn it sideways again, so the "bottom" piece of PVC fills the hole and is aligned with it,
with the ferrule sticking out at the angle you want (I assume rearward).
Slide the top piece back down over the ferrule, and super-glue it down, over the hole and aligned with it.
(Put your glue between the two PVC pieces).

You now should have an oval piece that looks decent, holds the cable the way you want, and won't go anywhere.

Now, if you wanted a cable "stop" and not a guide, you'd have to alter what you do with the PVC.
Routing the cable through there is another problem, but you didn't ask about that.
__________________

Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

Friends don't let friends drink and wrench.

1985 Raleigh Competition Racing USA Series-Coleman made me do it.....
1987 Bridgestone Radac - Aluminum (sadly, the frame is toast, RD hanger snapped off)
1988 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Master - Steel
1989 Centurion Carbon-R - Carbon Fiber

http://www.pedalroom.com/members/RobbieTunes
RobbieTunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 07:09 PM   #10
Shutter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Find a the same diameter of PVC pipe. Cut 2 pcs about 2mm larger in the same oval shape.
Find a long ferrule, cut off the end so both ends are open, that's your guide.
Hold the 2 PVC ovals together and drill a hole through both at the angle you want, the size of the ferrule.
Continue to hold the two PVC ovals together, and slide in the ferrule piece. Adjust for depth.
Now, remove the "top" piece of PVC oval, and paint the top and edges flat black.
Keep the ferrule inserted at an angle into the "bottom" piece of PVC oval.
Slide it out just enough to super-glue around the ferrule, and slide it back in. Let it dry.
Now, turn the assembly sideways and insert it into the hole.
Turn it sideways again, so the "bottom" piece of PVC fills the hole and is aligned with it,
with the ferrule sticking out at the angle you want (I assume rearward).
Slide the top piece back down over the ferrule, and super-glue it down, over the hole and aligned with it.
(Put your glue between the two PVC pieces).

You now should have an oval piece that looks decent, holds the cable the way you want, and won't go anywhere.

Now, if you wanted a cable "stop" and not a guide, you'd have to alter what you do with the PVC.
Routing the cable through there is another problem, but you didn't ask about that.
Wow! Thanks!

I'm going to try and get to this soon and post my results, Thanks!
Shutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 07:59 PM   #11
Chombi 
Senior Member
 
Chombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC
Posts: 10,879
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Instead of going over the hole, why not maybe get something pliable like a short legnth of rubber or vinyl hosing in black, just a bit longer than the oval holes on the tup tube, drill or punch a hole on it so the cable casing could go througn, cut/split it along its legnth and remove a strip of material so you can fold or scroll it and fit it into the TT and then let it open up inside to go against the inner wall of the TT so you will end up covering the open oval hole from the inside. You might have to experiment using different legnths, thickness of tubing for each hole. installing and removing he section of hose from insde the TT should be easy enough by ising a long nosed pliers or hemostats. Just be careful the pieces do not get away from you too much and get out of reach in case you do have to pull them out. You can also add a layer of tubing slightly thicker than the wall of the top tube. Cut it the same size ans shape of the pval hole then glue it to the to surface of the split tube. It will act as a locating piece that will keep the tubing from sliding around in the TT once you install it insode the tube
Just another idea you might try out.

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 03-05-12 at 08:18 PM.
Chombi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 08:10 PM   #12
buldogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will the Cinelli cable hole plugs work?
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 08:12 PM   #13
afilado 
Senior Member
 
afilado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chattanooga
Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, those show up on Ebay with regularity. Cheap, too.

J


Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
Will the Cinelli cable hole plugs work?
afilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 04:07 AM   #14
ftwelder
Senior Member
 
ftwelder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: vermont
Bikes: Many
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I have some of the Cinelli ones.. Ill take a look.
ftwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 09:22 AM   #15
buldogge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some Cinelli ones if needed...
buldogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 10:20 AM   #16
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,331
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I had to google to find a pic of what you're talking about...I think these are what I thought were Gipiemme doohickies, guess they are Cinelli and not so exotic, they call them frame grommets. It's what I'd use for the Miele.
Attached Images
File Type: png Cinelli_grommets.png (60.2 KB, 26 views)
unworthy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 10:44 AM   #17
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 8,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Urbane has these in stock if you don't want to go the eBay route. At least, they did a couple of years ago, a big bag of them, I doubt they've sold them all since then.
jet sanchEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 07:28 PM   #18
Shutter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
Urbane has these in stock if you don't want to go the eBay route. At least, they did a couple of years ago, a big bag of them, I doubt they've sold them all since then.

Thanks everybody!!

I found these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinelli-Cable-Guides-White-New-Free-Worldwide-Shipping-/220956501858?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337208a762


BUT thanks for the tip!! I was actually planning on going to Urbane this week to get some chrome forks for that exact frame!!

Thanks!! (do you remember how much they were??)
Shutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 08:32 PM   #19
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 8,149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
BUT thanks for the tip!! I was actually planning on going to Urbane this week to get some chrome forks for that exact frame!!

Thanks!! (do you remember how much they were??)
No, I cannot recall how much they were. I was down there today and they have switched a lot of things around, they had a lot of bins of stuff on clearance so you should probably call to be sure they have them.
jet sanchEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 10:17 PM   #20
Shutter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
No, I cannot recall how much they were. I was down there today and they have switched a lot of things around, they had a lot of bins of stuff on clearance so you should probably call to be sure they have them.
Thanks! Yea, they always have that clearance stuff now... I'll just pop in anyways... I have a couple hours to kill after work..
Shutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 PM.