Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-12, 11:01 AM   #76
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"
 
Muttleyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Hey Mutt,

I'll try to get pics for you, but the fellow that bought my MX-Leader frameset also has a Max framed Velocista.

Definitely a Max tubeset obsession!

His is red, yellow and orange.

Leads me to believe these were special order colors.

Yours is amazing.
Oh yeah please do post them! I have seen in pictures, one other color Velocista but I can't remember what color it was. The other two bikes that I have seen pics of were the color of mine.

P.S. Thanks for the kind words. From you that's a large complement. BTW I can only try to keep you and several others here in the nice bike department, lol.

Mutt
Muttleyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 11:13 AM   #77
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"
 
Muttleyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
I really wish that I could join this party - I'm enjoying watching from the door.

BTW - Mutleyone OWNS this lounge.
Thanks for the nod Aaron, but there is some serious Italian steel in this tread. I don't own the Tommasini Lounge but instead I'd say I'm a proud patron.
The ELOS bikes here make me want one even more. I've been looking for a Tommasini ELOS for sometime now. I'm being very picky because not only does it has to be an ELOS but I want one in the black marble color with the yellow lettering. There was one on Ebay a few weeks ago but it was a 56cm, unfortunately, or it would have been mine, price be damned, lol. It's funny I already have the build in my mind. I'm such a bike geek, lol!
I would love to test my MAX Tommasini and an ELOS Tommasini, side by side. One day, oh one day this will happen!

Mutt
Muttleyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 11:30 AM   #78
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttleyone View Post
Thanks for the nod Aaron, but there is some serious Italian steel in this tread. I don't own the Tommasini Lounge but instead I'd say I'm a proud patron.
The ELOS bikes here make me want one even more. I've been looking for a Tommasini ELOS for sometime now. I'm being very picky because not only does it has to be an ELOS but I want one in the black marble color with the yellow lettering. There was one on Ebay a few weeks ago but it was a 56cm, unfortunately, or it would have been mine, price be damned, lol. It's funny I already have the build in my mind. I'm such a bike geek, lol!
I would love to test my MAX Tommasini and an ELOS Tommasini, side by side. One day, oh one day this will happen!

Mutt
I'll see if I can't get a pic to post of the Max for you.

My MX Leader frameset was to be my only Max framed ride, but I have projects piling up.

I let that and a Colnago go a few weeks ago.

I do have three ELOS framed bicycles at the moment though and they are incredible riders.

I'm kind of a linebacker sized guy and have had zero issues with these framesets.

When you get a chance, grab an ELOS frameset in your favorite flavor.

You are in for a treat.

An ELOS framed Tommasini would be the cats pjs, but I thrilled with the ride of the Super Prestige I just picked up.

She's a rocketship, no doubt.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 11:34 AM   #79
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"
 
Muttleyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Riding a Super Prestige is the bike that made me fall in love with Tommasini. It would have been mine but I could see a slight crease in the paint on the top tube just behind the head tube lug. I passed.
Is your Super Prestige SLX or SPX?

Mutt
Muttleyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 11:46 AM   #80
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttleyone View Post
Riding a Super Prestige is the bike that made me fall in love with Tommasini. It would have been mine but I could see a slight crease in the paint on the top tube just behind the head tube lug. I passed.
Is your Super Prestige SLX or SPX?

Mutt

SLX, but SPX would never be a "bad" idea for this hearty eater.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 03:54 PM   #81
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 7,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
An ELOS framed Tommasini would be the cats pjs
It is
thirdgenbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 03:58 PM   #82
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
It is
I've been on three rides on my new Super Prestige since yesterday.

Easily one of the better handling bicycles I own.

Can't wait for the new tires, this baby likes to rumble.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 06:03 PM   #83
4Rings6Stars
Seņor Member
 
4Rings6Stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston
Bikes: Lots of em.
Posts: 1,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I've been on three rides on my new Super Prestige since yesterday.

Easily one of the better handling bicycles I own.

Can't wait for the new tires, this baby likes to rumble.
Don't rub it in too much since I just shipped my Super Prestige out for a new life in Colorado...
4Rings6Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 06:07 PM   #84
teetime
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
Don't rub it in too much since I just shipped my Super Prestige out for a new life in Colorado...
If it fit, big mistake, no matter the paint condition. If it didn't fit, look fr one that does.
teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 06:13 PM   #85
4Rings6Stars
Seņor Member
 
4Rings6Stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston
Bikes: Lots of em.
Posts: 1,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetime View Post
If it fit, big mistake, no matter the paint condition. If it didn't fit, look fr one that does.
It was a little big, but I could have made it work.

I think I've filled my need for a racy steel bike with my MXL. I don't have the money or space to be collecting right now. If a Velocista pops up in my size I might be tempted though.

I've actually got my eye on a Look 585 frameset right now but can't justify the cost. Maybe after I'm done school...

Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 06-12-12 at 06:16 PM.
4Rings6Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 06:14 PM   #86
4Rings6Stars
Seņor Member
 
4Rings6Stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boston
Bikes: Lots of em.
Posts: 1,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttleyone View Post
I'm not sure in your size. After I got mine I have seen 2 come up for sale, and that's been in a period over two years. One was a 60cm like mine. The other was smaller, maybe a 56cm but I can't remember for sure. All I can say is keep looking. Trust me it will be worth every minute you have waited and spent searching for it. They are rare as hens teeth but don't give up. Good luck in your search my friend!

Mutt
Lifted this pic from a google search...they are out there!!!


Tommasini Velocista by quality_vintage_bikes, on Flickr
4Rings6Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 06:38 PM   #87
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetime View Post
If it fit, big mistake, no matter the paint condition. If it didn't fit, look fr one that does.
Agreed.

All early signs are go that the Super Prestige has ride qualities that I really appreciate.

It is a keeper, that I can tell.

Lots of charm as I look closer, no doubt.

Generous members on another forum took some time to help id components today and it looks like the bike only has contact point changes that need to be made.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 06:40 PM   #88
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
Lifted this pic from a google search...they are out there!!!


Tommasini Velocista by quality_vintage_bikes, on Flickr

Wow!
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 06:41 PM   #89
pigmode
works for truffles
 
pigmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 2,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any info on the year, tubeset, fork crown, etc, on this Prestige? Must be the smaller size, but it almost looks like oversized tubes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180897579690...ht_6255wt_1219



Beautiful Velocista. :thumbsup:
pigmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 07:12 PM   #90
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
Any info on the year, tubeset, fork crown, etc, on this Prestige? Must be the smaller size, but it almost looks like oversized tubes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180897579690...ht_6255wt_1219



Beautiful Velocista. :thumbsup:
A former forum member reminded me today that a Prestige is made from SL and a Super Prestige from SLX.

Mid to late 80s.

Forum member Bengeboy has a nice one if I recall.

Fork crown is special.

Wow again. Fun frameset for sure.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 07:28 PM   #91
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"
 
Muttleyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
A former forum member reminded me today that a Prestige is made from SL and a Super Prestige from SLX.

Mid to late 80s.

Forum member Bengeboy has a nice one if I recall.

Fork crown is special.

Wow again. Fun frameset for sure.
G man is correct. One thing to add, the larger sizes of the Super Prestige came in SPX tubing.

Mutt
Muttleyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 07:49 PM   #92
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttleyone View Post
G man is correct. One thing to add, the larger sizes of the Super Prestige came in SPX tubing.

Mutt
Oops.

Good catch.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 11:45 PM   #93
pigmode
works for truffles
 
pigmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 2,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
A former forum member reminded me today that a Prestige is made from SL and a Super Prestige from SLX.

Mid to late 80s.

Forum member Bengeboy has a nice one if I recall.

Fork crown is special.

Wow again. Fun frameset for sure.

Ahh, not sure I can go that far back to SL tubing, although it would be a sweet smooth ride for sure. I love that Italian tricolour motif. Back in 94-95 the Techno was the Tommasini I came close to but didn't buy from Colorado Cyclist. I ended up with a Ritchey Road Logic from Excel (yikes).

SP was the stiffer tubeset adjunct to SL. You'd also find it used in rear stays for upper mid-sized frames etc.

Last edited by pigmode; 06-12-12 at 11:49 PM.
pigmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 04:21 AM   #94
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
Ahh, not sure I can go that far back to SL tubing, although it would be a sweet smooth ride for sure. I love that Italian tricolour motif. Back in 94-95 the Techno was the Tommasini I came close to but didn't buy from Colorado Cyclist. I ended up with a Ritchey Road Logic from Excel (yikes).

SP was the stiffer tubeset adjunct to SL. You'd also find it used in rear stays for upper mid-sized frames etc.
A Ritchey Road Logic is a nice frameset, so I'm sure you didn't fair too badly.

Toss an email at Tommasini and see if they can double check the serial number of that ebay frameset.

I'm almost positive it was SL. Also, have the seller do some legwork, as the info is very light in that ad.

Good luck.

FWIW I have a SL/SP framed Chris Kvale that rides beautifully. I look at who built the frame, not necessarily the tubeset used. imho
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 10:56 PM   #95
Drillium Dude 
Senior Member
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sultan, WA
Bikes: 73 Colnago Super, 78 Medici, 79 Dennis Sparrow, 80 Alpina, 81 Bill Davidson custom, 83 Colnago Mexico, 85 Somec Super Corsa, 85 Spinella (Olympia), 02 Bill Davidson custom
Posts: 6,943
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Details later tonight!

Grady, it's the 13th - when do we get to see more?



Mmmm....pearl white marble....mmmmmm....

DD
__________________
My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/

Drillium Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 10:01 AM   #96
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"
 
Muttleyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agreed, we need some more Tommasini, yummy goodness!

Mutt
Muttleyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 12:15 PM   #97
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
More pics of the 1990 Super Prestige!

Columbus SLX goodness and she has a ton of moxie in the corners. Great handler.

Campy rear dropouts with a nice Campy parts mix.

New black Regal and Veloflex Master 23s are on order. I've got a Cinelli 1r/66-42 combo going on next week, not to mention new black Jagwire housings.

Black Fizik Microtex to match the saddle.

Other than that, all she needs is a general tune and a super, duper clean up.

Everything is in incredible condition under the garage dust.

She's been on a hook for a long time, so we'll do bearings and cables while were at it.

Rode her again this morning and the bicycle fits like a glove.

Really a fun bicycle to ride.









__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 01:26 PM   #98
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"
 
Muttleyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks great and I'm so digging the '80's paint!

Mutt
Muttleyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 02:03 PM   #99
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Bikes:
Posts: 13,475
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttleyone View Post
Looks great and I'm so digging the '80's paint!

Mutt
Looks like they painted her after or during happy hour.

I love it though.

Lugwork is pretty nice when one looks closely.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 03:47 PM   #100
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"
 
Muttleyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tommasini Velocista alert:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...077928517.html

No relation to the seller.

Mutt
Muttleyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 AM.