Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-14, 10:01 PM   #1876
gaucho777
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin
Posts: 5,444
Crapoholics, The BOC was received today, and I should be able to get it to a post office tomorrow. Will update soon.



gaucho777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-14, 05:12 PM   #1877
BIGDCYCLES
Senior Member
 
BIGDCYCLES's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wichita, KS
Bikes: Giant Sedona, 1997 Schwinn Frontier2012 Walgoose 29er
Posts: 93
Please add me to the list.
BIGDCYCLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 06:27 PM   #1878
gaucho777
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin
Posts: 5,444
I'm back! Sorry I was not able to get the box shipped out before I left on travel as I had hoped. I am happy to report the BOC is back on its way (all 26-lbs+ of it!). I added a few bits which should increase the average value per item. I really wanted to contribute some Shimano Positron shifters and RD, but there was simply no more room after the other items I added. It's really heavy and tightly packed, so I encourage future BOC recipients to take some of the larger items and/or discard/donate some of the truly worthless or broken items to make room for fresh crap.

Here's what I took out:


Cheers!
gaucho777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 07:42 AM   #1879
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho777 View Post
I'm back! Sorry I was not able to get the box shipped out before I left on travel as I had hoped. I am happy to report the BOC is back on its way (all 26-lbs+ of it!). I added a few bits which should increase the average value per item. I really wanted to contribute some Shimano Positron shifters and RD, but there was simply no more room after the other items I added. It's really heavy and tightly packed, so I encourage future BOC recipients to take some of the larger items and/or discard/donate some of the truly worthless or broken items to make room for fresh crap.

Here's what I took out:


Cheers!
o.O Did you score a command shifter?!?!? If so, freaking sweet man.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 10:14 AM   #1880
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orangevale CA
Bikes: '76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, '98 C'Dale XR800, '04 Burley Samba, '15 Priority Classic
Posts: 5,390
I'd like to play, I think I have some added value to... add.
Darth Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 10:27 AM   #1881
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
News.. we've changed the rules, post counts of 150+ or above required to play (sorry guys, this has actually been in the works for quite a while) we're just attempting to keep this game going as long as possible I'll be happy to discuss the reasons why with anyone who wants to know in PM's but please understand that part of this decision was on my part as rebooting the box is a fairly big PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDCYCLES View Post
Please add me to the list.
:/ Sorry guy, refer to above please.

Last edited by RaleighSport; 06-12-14 at 10:57 AM.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 10:55 AM   #1882
Drillium Dude 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sultan, WA
Bikes: 73 Colnago Super, 78 Medici, 79 Dennis Sparrow, 80 Alpina, 81 Bill Davidson custom, 83 Colnago Mexico, 85 Somec Super Corsa, 85 Spinella (Olympia), 02 Bill Davidson custom
Posts: 6,858
Okay, this has been brought up a number of times by numerous C&Vers and I've made a change based upon those suggestions: post count for joining is now 150 posts.

It is the hope that anyone sticking around that long does not simply desire to walk off with a box of free stuff, but wants to be a part of the community and is interested in putting in just as much as taking out. Which, of course, is entirely in keeping with the spirit of the Box.

Darth, I've added you into the mix

DD
__________________
My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/


Last edited by Drillium Dude; 06-12-14 at 11:01 AM.
Drillium Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 11:30 AM   #1883
gaucho777
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin
Posts: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
o.O Did you score a command shifter?!?!? If so, freaking sweet man.
I guess it's similar to a Suntour command shifter, though I don't have any experience with those. It's a Shimano Exage Motion shifter:
VeloBase.com - Component: Shimano SL-A250, Exage Motion

My daughter's bike has a broken gripshift. I think this will be a good fix/upgrade. Thanks to whoever contributed it!
gaucho777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 12:40 PM   #1884
BIGDCYCLES
Senior Member
 
BIGDCYCLES's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wichita, KS
Bikes: Giant Sedona, 1997 Schwinn Frontier2012 Walgoose 29er
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
News.. we've changed the rules, post counts of 150+ or above required to play (sorry guys, this has actually been in the works for quite a while) we're just attempting to keep this game going as long as possible I'll be happy to discuss the reasons why with anyone who wants to know in PM's but please understand that part of this decision was on my part as rebooting the box is a fairly big PITA.


:/ Sorry guy, refer to above please.
Its your world, I'm just posting in it. By then I will most likely have a bigger pile of parts to choose from to add to the box. Hopefully it stays in play for that long.
BIGDCYCLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 12:53 PM   #1885
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDCYCLES View Post
Its your world, I'm just posting in it. By then I will most likely have a bigger pile of parts to choose from to add to the box. Hopefully it stays in play for that long.
Let us hope so! and I for one look forward to you joining our crappy fold.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 01:43 PM   #1886
smontanaro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
... desire to walk off with a box of free stuff ...
If you should ever have the thought that making off with the box would be a good thing, please run through the thread first. Look carefully at the pictures. Now think if it would really be worth it. I imagine if you work your ass off, you might clear $50 selling it all on eBay (after eBay and PayPal take their cuts). I mean really, is that worth it?

If you've got nothing to contribute when it gets around to you, no problem. Just move the box along to the next person on the list. In fact, I personally (speaking as me, not representing DD, RS or anyone else) wouldn't care if you took a couple parts and didn't replace them. Crap, that would be better than taking the entire box! The box is so damn full and the rest of us have so much crap to contribute, that after a couple more stops along the way, it will be back up to its hefty self. (If we were smarter about this, we could probably run four or five BoCs simultaneously, and keep the USPS in business. After all, we are smart enough to stay out of the way of cars, trucks, and buses for the most part.) I have an old orange box (the kind you get when you buy oranges at Costco) full of parts to contribute. Most of the time nothing leaves that box because there is simply no room for more stuff, and all I can do is wedge in a couple small bits.

I'll try to make this mini-rant constructive. Just to prove we can (and so we don't have to wait so long between Christmases) how about we try to boot up a second box? I offer to coordinate the reboot (contributing some of my stash, and accepting parts from others wanting to participate) and manage the second list.

S
__________________
Please contact me via email, not private messages.
The Bike is Better than the Rider,
Medici, RRB, Trek 520, Jim Redcay, Conti, Schwinn Volare, Atala Super Professional
and projects: Schwinn Super Sport, Peugeot PX-10, Trek 660, something unnamed
smontanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 03:11 PM   #1887
seedsbelize 
Senior Member
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Bikes: '84 Schwinn Letour Luxe, '87 Schw'inn Prelude, 91 Giant Yukon, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5 unicrown, '93 Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 2,869
looking forward to it. I think 4 or 5 would be really entertaining for those of us who must sit and watch.
seedsbelize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 04:24 PM   #1888
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
If you should ever have the thought that making off with the box would be a good thing, please run through the thread first. Look carefully at the pictures. Now think if it would really be worth it. I imagine if you work your ass off, you might clear $50 selling it all on eBay (after eBay and PayPal take their cuts). I mean really, is that worth it?

If you've got nothing to contribute when it gets around to you, no problem. Just move the box along to the next person on the list. In fact, I personally (speaking as me, not representing DD, RS or anyone else) wouldn't care if you took a couple parts and didn't replace them. Crap, that would be better than taking the entire box! The box is so damn full and the rest of us have so much crap to contribute, that after a couple more stops along the way, it will be back up to its hefty self. (If we were smarter about this, we could probably run four or five BoCs simultaneously, and keep the USPS in business. After all, we are smart enough to stay out of the way of cars, trucks, and buses for the most part.) I have an old orange box (the kind you get when you buy oranges at Costco) full of parts to contribute. Most of the time nothing leaves that box because there is simply no room for more stuff, and all I can do is wedge in a couple small bits.

I'll try to make this mini-rant constructive. Just to prove we can (and so we don't have to wait so long between Christmases) how about we try to boot up a second box? I offer to coordinate the reboot (contributing some of my stash, and accepting parts from others wanting to participate) and manage the second list.

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
looking forward to it. I think 4 or 5 would be really entertaining for those of us who must sit and watch.
I would definitely not object to another BoC in play, but the show would be entirely on you and whoever else helped you if you brought in anyone (DD is the actual runner of this show obviously, I just try and volunteer my help). I know you know the history but I'll say it anyways.. you yourself might want to reread this thread before you volunteer to herd cats.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 05:46 PM   #1889
Drillium Dude 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sultan, WA
Bikes: 73 Colnago Super, 78 Medici, 79 Dennis Sparrow, 80 Alpina, 81 Bill Davidson custom, 83 Colnago Mexico, 85 Somec Super Corsa, 85 Spinella (Olympia), 02 Bill Davidson custom
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDCYCLES View Post
Hopefully it stays in play for that long.
BIG D, you just happened to come along at the wrong time and place, that's all. It's been suggested numerous times over the past year (while I was out of the country) to up the post count, and now that I'm home I've had more time to dedicate to honing the operation. Couldn't have herded the cats without RaleighSport's help, that's for sure

Since the Box is now over two years old (with a couple reboots, I should note), I don't think you'll have to worry about it staying in play. We've got a lot of good people here that have a vested interest in seeing this keep making the rounds, so if we ever have to reboot again, well...

Hopefully it never comes to that again, tho. I like to think everyone's in this for all the right reasons

Drop in on the thread when you hit 150 and I'll sign you right up!

DD
__________________
My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/

Drillium Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 05:50 PM   #1890
Drillium Dude 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sultan, WA
Bikes: 73 Colnago Super, 78 Medici, 79 Dennis Sparrow, 80 Alpina, 81 Bill Davidson custom, 83 Colnago Mexico, 85 Somec Super Corsa, 85 Spinella (Olympia), 02 Bill Davidson custom
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
looking forward to it. I think 4 or 5 would be really entertaining for those of us who must sit and watch.
It would only be entertaining for those watching - believe me, it's no picnic for the cat herder when things go/look like they're going south

As RS points out, if you have some time do a review of the thread, then imagine being responsible for tracking another 3, 4 or 5 boxes. I'd have a head full of gray hairs in a month!

DD
__________________
My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/


Last edited by Drillium Dude; 06-12-14 at 06:14 PM.
Drillium Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 05:56 PM   #1891
Drillium Dude 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sultan, WA
Bikes: 73 Colnago Super, 78 Medici, 79 Dennis Sparrow, 80 Alpina, 81 Bill Davidson custom, 83 Colnago Mexico, 85 Somec Super Corsa, 85 Spinella (Olympia), 02 Bill Davidson custom
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Just to prove we can (and so we don't have to wait so long between Christmases) how about we try to boot up a second box? I offer to coordinate the reboot (contributing some of my stash, and accepting parts from others wanting to participate) and manage the second list.

S
Go for it! I assume you've done your homework by reading this entire thread, so if you're game, roll 'em

If you do, perhaps we can get some of the people lined up for your Box from the current list here? Just a thought. I'll help out however I can, except for parts at this present time. I've not joined my own list because I currently have nothing to add to the Box

DD
__________________
My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/

Drillium Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 05:56 PM   #1892
seedsbelize 
Senior Member
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Bikes: '84 Schwinn Letour Luxe, '87 Schw'inn Prelude, 91 Giant Yukon, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5 unicrown, '93 Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
It would only be entertaining for those watching - believe me, it's no picnic for the cat herder when things go/look like they're going south

As RS points out, if you have some time do a review of the thread, then imagine being responsible for tracking another 3, 4 or 5 boxes. I'd have a head full of gray hairs in a month!
DD
I have read it through and through. You guys are doing a bangup job. The most entertaining thread on the forum. From the outside looking in, of course.
seedsbelize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 08:58 PM   #1893
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans
Posts: 6,523
I had a little free time tonight so I looked into the origins of the BoC, I knew it predated my membership for sure.

This appears to be the grandmother of all BoC threads right here
Box of Crap
This is a hysterical thread IMO and we should all be grateful to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivandarken View Post
Ummm.... I don't know what all the excitement is about this?!? Don't all of you already HAVE boxes of bicycle crap right now?

Tell you what- fill a box of your stuff and mail it to yourself.... you'll probably receive better crap.

This one is the mother of our current game, everyone sent out a box and everyone got a box.
box o crap pass-around game
Tom ran it with great success.

Sailorbenjamin gives birth to our modern game right here
Instant Box of Crap Pass-a-Round-Robin
This is a bit shameless I guess, but Zaphod was quite funny in that thread in the bran muffin incident.


And our good sailor marches on with herding cats
Instant Box of Crap Pass-a-Round-Robin take two: Movement & Passing
Complete with this gem of a post in it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post

[Edited]
I think I'll stick with the FSOT thread from here on out. This experiment is only as good as the people on the list; it only takes one or two to bring it to a screeching halt (and other unsavory things). Just sayin'.

DD
Good thing he didn't make good on that one.

And then came this thread, the current king of BoC's, if I'm liberal with what is called a BoC thread the grand total posts for all the other threads combined is 1,235.

This thread alone is at 1892 posts alone at the time of it's writing, making 1893 at least by the time I'm done.

Hats off to DD and all of you for making this possible and overcoming so much "crap", I salute you all with a bran muffin.
RaleighSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 10:47 PM   #1894
Drillium Dude 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sultan, WA
Bikes: 73 Colnago Super, 78 Medici, 79 Dennis Sparrow, 80 Alpina, 81 Bill Davidson custom, 83 Colnago Mexico, 85 Somec Super Corsa, 85 Spinella (Olympia), 02 Bill Davidson custom
Posts: 6,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
And then came this thread, the current king of BoC's, if I'm liberal with what is called a BoC thread the grand total posts for all the other threads combined is 1,235.

This thread alone is at 1892 posts alone at the time of it's writing, making 1893 at least by the time I'm done.

Hats off to DD and all of you for making this possible and overcoming so much "crap", I salute you all with a bran muffin.
You are too kind, Chris - and humble; you should be taking a bow yourself, seeing as you were my right-hand-man during my time on Diego Garcia, have been responsible for two reboots, plenty of cat herding - and let's not forget, the inventor and maker of these:



I still think the decals are the best contribution to this thread, period

DD
__________________
My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/

Drillium Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 05:36 AM   #1895
BIGDCYCLES
Senior Member
 
BIGDCYCLES's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wichita, KS
Bikes: Giant Sedona, 1997 Schwinn Frontier2012 Walgoose 29er
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
BIG D, you just happened to come along at the wrong time and place, that's all. It's been suggested numerous times over the past year (while I was out of the country) to up the post count, and now that I'm home I've had more time to dedicate to honing the operation. Couldn't have herded the cats without RaleighSport's help, that's for sure

Since the Box is now over two years old (with a couple reboots, I should note), I don't think you'll have to worry about it staying in play. We've got a lot of good people here that have a vested interest in seeing this keep making the rounds, so if we ever have to reboot again, well...

Hopefully it never comes to that again, tho. I like to think everyone's in this for all the right reasons

Drop in on the thread when you hit 150 and I'll sign you right up!

DD
I harbor no ill feelings after reading about some of the past shenanigans and would like to thank you and the others involved for keeping it going as long as you have.
BIGDCYCLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 06:59 AM   #1896
jeirvine 
Senior Member
 
jeirvine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bethesda/Baltimore MD
Bikes: Too many to count. No wait: eight. I have eight bikes.
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
...We could probably run four or five BoCs simultaneously, and keep the USPS in business...
S
Ha! I think with the weight of the box, I'm pretty USPS takes a loss on the flat rate.

In terms of starting additional, I would just suggest folks put together their own boxes and offer them up on the FS thread as maybe $20 flat rate BOCs. There have been a few of those recently that have tempted me. That way there's no cat herding, just point to point crap redistribution.
__________________
The man who dies with the most toys…is dead. - Rootboy
jeirvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 09:04 PM   #1897
BluesDaddy 
I got 99 projects
 
BluesDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hills of Central NH
Bikes:
Posts: 1,479
Friends, the BOC has flown coast-to-coast, from the home of the Raiders, MC Hammer and Jack London, to the land of maple syrup, granite and skiing.

The box made its crappy landing on my porch today.

BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 09:08 PM   #1898
BluesDaddy 
I got 99 projects
 
BluesDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hills of Central NH
Bikes:
Posts: 1,479
Cracking open the box is definitely a gamble. There's usually some modern MTB stuff like brake rotors; as well as some odd, "what the heck is this thing?" items.

BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 09:14 PM   #1899
BluesDaddy 
I got 99 projects
 
BluesDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hills of Central NH
Bikes:
Posts: 1,479
There are some good small bits like a stem binder bolt that I can use to put a stem back into service. There's a seatpost for my Cannondale. I keep seeing the Huret cyclometer peeking out of the photos posted above ^^^ and I decided to try it out if it made it to me. It should look good on my 1984 Schwinn. I am going to try to make a keychain with the 333 lever. Lastly, the box is still well-stocked with BOC stickers.

BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 09:24 PM   #1900
BluesDaddy 
I got 99 projects
 
BluesDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hills of Central NH
Bikes:
Posts: 1,479
I've put some new goodies in and I hope to get the box on its way back across the country tomorrow. I wish I could send the 3 days of drizzling rain we're having here to my parched friend [MENTION=235305]RaleighSport[/MENTION].
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 AM.