Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-12, 08:57 AM   #1
joe englert
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My April fools day bike purchase

Picked this up in Reno on April fools day. A bit of a drive, but for 600.00 I jumped in the car and braved the weather...which as it turned out was not too bad at all. Now, the owner told me that Bob Lemond gave this to him and his wife...I guess she worked for him at one time or another and was told that this was a Tour De France bike. It says Bennington on the top tube. If that is indeed the original riders name...I dont see it on the 1990 Z Team tour de france membership. Im thinking, more likely, that Bennington may have been a rider on the team but raced in smaller races for the team. At any rate, i would have bought it either way. Havent taken it out yet,,,want to put a smaller stem on it first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (102.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (101.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (100.3 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by joe englert; 04-02-12 at 09:01 AM.
joe englert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 09:34 AM   #2
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard
Posts: 4,216
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Joe...you should consider changing the date on your camera. LOL

Nice snag.
__________________
Lynn Travers

Photos
CV-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 09:39 AM   #3
The Thin Man 
Senior Member
 
The Thin Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: 1985 Pinarello Record, 1985 Raleigh Portage, 1986 Raleigh Kodiak, 1986 Raleigh Alyeska, 1983 Univega Specialissima, 1993 Marinoni Special
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Now that my wife has a Marinoni in the same type of color scheme (well, an inverse of yours), I'm starting to keep my eye out for a multicolored racer. Good move on letting your cycling lust win out over reason and weather conditions. I would have done the same!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marinoni_01.jpg (102.9 KB, 36 views)
The Thin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 04:15 PM   #4
joe englert
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV-6 View Post
Joe...you should consider changing the date on your camera. LOL

Nice snag.
your right...dont know how to do it but i will check
joe englert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 04:16 PM   #5
joe englert
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thin Man View Post
Now that my wife has a Marinoni in the same type of color scheme (well, an inverse of yours), I'm starting to keep my eye out for a multicolored racer. Good move on letting your cycling lust win out over reason and weather conditions. I would have done the same!
That marinoni is fantastic! i wonder if he got the paint scheme idea from those Z team bikes? thanks for sharing that
joe englert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 04:25 PM   #6
The Thin Man 
Senior Member
 
The Thin Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: 1985 Pinarello Record, 1985 Raleigh Portage, 1986 Raleigh Kodiak, 1986 Raleigh Alyeska, 1983 Univega Specialissima, 1993 Marinoni Special
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe englert View Post
That marinoni is fantastic! i wonder if he got the paint scheme idea from those Z team bikes? thanks for sharing that
Thanks, Joe. As for the color, it very well could be a Z team replica as the original owner told me that his wife had Marinoni custom paint it to the colors of her favorite team that was running in the Tour de France.
The Thin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 04:37 PM   #7
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA
 
scozim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Bikes: See my signature
Posts: 2,795
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Great score, Joe!
__________________
1984 Gitane Sprint; 1984 Gitane Tour de France; 1982 Trek 610; 1980's Univega Supra Sport (fixie); 1968 Peugeot PL8; 1982 Nishiki Marina 12; 1972 Peugeot PX-10; 1987 Trek 800 Antelope (touring/commuting set up); 1993 Trek 950 mtb; 1997 Klein Pulse Comp mtb; 1989 Peugeot Limestone hybrid (for touring); 1975 Gitane Olympic; 1983 Vitus 979; 1989 Spectrum Titanium:
scozim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 04:52 PM   #8
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek, Bike Friday
Posts: 6,984
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe englert View Post
It says Bennington on the top tube. If that is indeed the original riders name...I dont see it on the 1990 Z Team tour de france membership. Im thinking, more likely, that Bennington may have been a rider on the team but raced in smaller races for the team.
Nice! Here's an article on Bennington with some photos... none of them include your bike though.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fu...96&status=True
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 05:46 PM   #9
gaucho777
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin
Posts: 5,705
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Good work, Joe! Btw, how long is that stem?!
gaucho777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 06:04 PM   #10
joe englert
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Nice! Here's an article on Bennington with some photos... none of them include your bike though.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fu...96&status=True
Wow.... Mr. Scott...your the man. Thanks ever so much!!! I was thinking that Bennington was just some guy who decided to put his name on the bike in case it got stolen. That is super!!!! By the way,,,that last z team card pic of Bennington looks like he could be straddling the bike I have now. Same color top tube and looks like the same super long handle bar stem...which is a 140 I BELIEVE or maybe a 40? My freind measured it and I know it has a 40 in there some how. Rode it today with that long stem on it and .... it was great. Was doing some fairly steep hills in the Sierra Nevada region and was kind of proud of thinking I was doing them in the lowest gear on that bike 42/21...when I got back, I took a closer look to find out the lowest gear is a 44/21...7 speed...a bit of a corncob. Im switching out that front chainring to a 39. Bennington was probably a monster to push that big gear all the time. Wonder if i could do Mt. Diablo on that 44/21? MMMM dont think I will try...save my knees!!!!
joe englert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 09:26 PM   #11
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Cheltenham-Pederson racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.
Posts: 5,069
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd seriously re-gear for Diablo!

I actually broke my chain going up the final rise to the top during a time-trial in 1998 or 99.
I had to run/push it to the finish and barely lost any time because it was THAT steep.

The first 90% you could probably ride with a 39/24 though.

Now I couldn't even keep Joe and the visitor from Tahoe in sight on today's ride going up into the hills.
At one point I wanted to give that new bike of his a try, but he was having no interest in suffering ANY of the ride on my Varsity, even on the return ride, but I didn't have a 9/16" wrench for the seatpost clamp anyway.
I fell back and rode with an ultra-runner who was dropping his chain on his new bike, he thought that Joe and the other out-of-town guy were professionals, and wondered out loud how old was the 1964 Varsity I was riding.
The ride was taxing, and I came home suffering a bizarre, more-or-less all-day episode of the munchies.

Last edited by dddd; 04-02-12 at 09:41 PM.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 10:22 PM   #12
joe englert
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I'd seriously re-gear for Diablo!

I actually broke my chain going up the final rise to the top during a time-trial in 1998 or 99.
I had to run/push it to the finish and barely lost any time because it was THAT steep.

The first 90% you could probably ride with a 39/24 though.

Now I couldn't even keep Joe and the visitor from Tahoe in sight on today's ride going up into the hills.
At one point I wanted to give that new bike of his a try, but he was having no interest in suffering ANY of the ride on my Varsity, even on the return ride, but I didn't have a 9/16" wrench for the seatpost clamp anyway.
I fell back and rode with an ultra-runner who was dropping his chain on his new bike, he thought that Joe and the other out-of-town guy were professionals, and wondered out loud how old was the 1964 Varsity I was riding.
The ride was taxing, and I came home suffering a bizarre, more-or-less all-day episode of the munchies.
yeah. well dave, thats what you get for riding a schwinn varsity. i think that thing weighs in at about 35 lbs. Actually Dave can usually kick my butt most of the time unless he is having physical problems like today..especially on a varsity...kick stand and all!! pretty amazing
joe englert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 10:42 PM   #13
anixi
Jack of all trades
 
anixi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Bikes: Pug Triathlon&PRN-10 Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion
Posts: 2,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I'd seriously re-gear for Diablo!

I actually broke my chain going up the final rise to the top during a time-trial in 1998 or 99.
I had to run/push it to the finish and barely lost any time because it was THAT steep.

The first 90% you could probably ride with a 39/24 though.

Now I couldn't even keep Joe and the visitor from Tahoe in sight on today's ride going up into the hills.
At one point I wanted to give that new bike of his a try, but he was having no interest in suffering ANY of the ride on my Varsity, even on the return ride, but I didn't have a 9/16" wrench for the seatpost clamp anyway.
I fell back and rode with an ultra-runner who was dropping his chain on his new bike, he thought that Joe and the other out-of-town guy were professionals, and wondered out loud how old was the 1964 Varsity I was riding.
The ride was taxing, and I came home suffering a bizarre, more-or-less all-day episode of the munchies.
I wouldn't consider Mt. Diablo in less than a 36/28! Or Mt. Hamilton for that matter...
anixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 PM.