Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-14, 09:48 AM   #3301
MikesChevelle
Senior Member
 
MikesChevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boise
Bikes:
Posts: 703
17.5 cm hoping to find a chrome one if I can too
MikesChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 04:42 PM   #3302
MikesChevelle
Senior Member
 
MikesChevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boise
Bikes:
Posts: 703
Just waiting on the new cables and housing and all should be done on wednesday..................going to ride the stock for now until the right one comes along............and save up for hammered 650b fenders


MikesChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 04:52 PM   #3303
cyclotoine
Senior Member
 
cyclotoine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Yukon, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 8,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
This is seriously sick! Man, I love those creme balloon tires - but I'd swap the knobbies for Continental's new smooth rolling Retro Ride in the same color!
those aren't balloon tires. Those are original Panaracers if I am not mistaken and they are worth a mint. original on the Gary FIsher grateful dead model. Those are sick tires and would love to get my hands on them but they would cost more than a new set of high end MTB tires!
__________________
1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear
cyclotoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 06:42 PM   #3304
wesmamyke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle View Post
17.5 cm hoping to find a chrome one if I can too
I'll have to check how long it is. It's black, but it's an odd one, pretty sure it's plated or coated not painted.

Edit: Just took a closer look and measured it. It's 16cm from the crown race and it's actually a Tioga.

Last edited by wesmamyke; 06-30-14 at 06:54 PM.
wesmamyke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 10:05 PM   #3305
MikesChevelle
Senior Member
 
MikesChevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boise
Bikes:
Posts: 703
Well I just noticed a few spacers on my headset, Ill take them off and see how much that allows me, 16cm may still be to small though, thanks for measuring

Last edited by MikesChevelle; 06-30-14 at 10:10 PM.
MikesChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 11:28 PM   #3306
MikesChevelle
Senior Member
 
MikesChevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boise
Bikes:
Posts: 703
Got all the cables ran, just have to tweak the FD a little to get better shifting, and Im still waiting for my new seat and some other touring like accessories.......and the right size rigid fork

But she is smooth.

MikesChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 12:25 PM   #3307
MikesChevelle
Senior Member
 
MikesChevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boise
Bikes:
Posts: 703
New Saddle, but need to get the correct seat post from the Co-Op, not made for non integrated posts.

MikesChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 12:31 PM   #3308
kehomer
Senior Member
 
kehomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Georgia
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle View Post
New Saddle, but need to get the correct seat post from the Co-Op, not made for non integrated posts.
Nice bike. Bet you will enjoy it.
kehomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 03:06 PM   #3309
blart
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kansas City MO
Bikes:
Posts: 78
Wanting to convert a "Streetstomper" to drops on a budget and was considering these: Pure Fix Drop Bars | Pure Fix Cycles as they have the 22.2mm brake clamp diameter.

Was wondering if anyone else left their shifters and brakes right on the flat part of the drops and/or had pics of a setup like this...I like to ride the hoods on my road bike, though, so I'm not sure if I want to proceed.
blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 06:38 AM   #3310
Bicycle Addict
Senior Member
 
Bicycle Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,
Posts: 513
Hey all, I have finally succumbed to the fact that you guys are having too much fun with these builds, I want in!

I have had this Specialized Hard Rock for a while, I dug it out of the weeds down the back of a mates parents house, it had only been there for 15 or so years!!??
It was in terrible shape, it is a bike that I rode with a mate from when he bought it new(with some help from his parents) in I think 88-89?
It was so rusted up that I tried to turn the crank, met a lot of resistance then heard some rust letting go type sounds and the crank started turning! bike was so badly rusted up that as I turned the cranks the non drive side BB cup started walking out!
I got the drive side out and then the seat post . . the stem and fork had become one so I chopped the stem just above headset and removed the fork. The fork I have on will hopefully get replaced with one that has less rake.
Sorry for the rushed indoor photo the is gusting about 60-70 mile an hour outside at today, i will get a better one tomorrow.

here is a pic of the one I have just bought,


So this one will give me a U Brake, which are very hard to get here 2nd hand . . very hard to get, i should get everything else I need too.
I will plan to do this new one as a BMX conv, can I run a BMX U Brake on it? I plan to run U Brake BMX levers if that helps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new 008.jpg (101.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 323256511.jpg (91.0 KB, 74 views)
Bicycle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 09:44 AM   #3311
Henry III 
is just a real cool dude
 
Henry III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Thumb, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 3,058
Well I've had this built for a couple of months now after picking up the bike for free! Sorry for the grainy picture as I just had my old Iphone 3g on me. It's a 2001 Anodizing Inc built Schwinn Homegrown. These were actually lighter then the more famous bassboat painted Yeti built frames. After I completely tore this frame down it(sans brake post studs) was 2.8 lbs for a 17". I was pretty amazed. This was the second in line just below the XTR model. The only thing I kept from the original bike was the XT crank arms, Titec seatpost and headset as everything else was in pretty rough shape. Finding the correct headset was a PITA even with working at a shop so I just pulled the seals off the bearing cartridges and repacked them and their good as new.

It originally came with a Rockshox Judy SL fork and even that was pretty light as it was a sub three pound suspension fork. I rebuilt that fork and sold it and for a nice chunk of change to help fund the build. Ordered up some Salsa Woodchippers, picked up a set of 9spd Ultegra STI's, tossed on a set of Mavic Crossrides I've had for quite awhile, a steel Trek fork from a 820 I had laying around(it's been repainted so it matches now), XTR 950 RD, Sram X9 FD, Cane Creek inline brake levers. Everything shifts fine but it's a bit strange to have trim the FD on a mtb. lol. The Woodchippers I'm not a big fan of and might just through a set of compact bend bars onto it. So if anyone is in the market for a set of woodchippers let me know.

Henry III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 03:00 PM   #3312
wintermute
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB (WIP), 1991 Spec'zed Rockhopper, 2006 Bianchi Volpe
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle View Post
New Saddle, but need to get the correct seat post from the Co-Op, not made for non integrated posts.

Awesome! Think you have enough suspension? You should put some giant Hookworms on it and you could ride over a construction site withot feeling any bumps!
wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 03:44 PM   #3313
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry III View Post
Well I've had this built for a couple of months now after picking up the bike for free! Sorry for the grainy picture as I just had my old Iphone 3g on me. It's a 2001 Anodizing Inc built Schwinn Homegrown. These were actually lighter then the more famous bassboat painted Yeti built frames. After I completely tore this frame down it(sans brake post studs) was 2.8 lbs for a 17". I was pretty amazed. This was the second in line just below the XTR model. The only thing I kept from the original bike was the XT crank arms, Titec seatpost and headset as everything else was in pretty rough shape. Finding the correct headset was a PITA even with working at a shop so I just pulled the seals off the bearing cartridges and repacked them and their good as new.

It originally came with a Rockshox Judy SL fork and even that was pretty light as it was a sub three pound suspension fork. I rebuilt that fork and sold it and for a nice chunk of change to help fund the build. Ordered up some Salsa Woodchippers, picked up a set of 9spd Ultegra STI's, tossed on a set of Mavic Crossrides I've had for quite awhile, a steel Trek fork from a 820 I had laying around(it's been repainted so it matches now), XTR 950 RD, Sram X9 FD, Cane Creek inline brake levers. Everything shifts fine but it's a bit strange to have trim the FD on a mtb. lol. The Woodchippers I'm not a big fan of and might just through a set of compact bend bars onto it. So if anyone is in the market for a set of woodchippers let me know.

You might like the bars more if you leveled out the drops. Or maybe not.
due ruote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 06:21 PM   #3314
Henry III 
is just a real cool dude
 
Henry III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Thumb, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 3,058
Tried them in quite a few positions and this was the most comfiest. I couldn't find a position where I could ride comfy in the hoods and drops. I'm a smaller guy with smaller hands and these are 42cm which I normally ride. The only bars I found I could ride in both are 3T Ergonovas which I have some my 650c road bike.
Henry III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 06:43 PM   #3315
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.
Posts: 5,967
[MENTION=319824]Bicycle Addict[/MENTION]

Yes, you can run modern bmx u brakes.
That was a rusty Hardrock! Looking forward to seeing the results.
WNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 07:24 PM   #3316
MikesChevelle
Senior Member
 
MikesChevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boise
Bikes:
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
Awesome! Think you have enough suspension? You should put some giant Hookworms on it and you could ride over a construction site withot feeling any bumps!
Once I get me new rigid fork an extra half inch of threads cut, it will be rigid, the seat is oh so nice though
MikesChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 11:21 PM   #3317
countludwig
Junior Member
 
countludwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes: 1982 SR triathlon, 1987 Raleigh Technium, 1994 Trek 850, 2010 Jamis Ventura
Posts: 6
My Entry. not the most vintage but she rides and handles great.
my only complaint is a place to mount a mirror, I used to run a bar end on the
regular handlebars but now...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sandblaster-02.jpg (98.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Sandblaster-01.jpg (97.3 KB, 72 views)
countludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 07:56 AM   #3318
wintermute
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB (WIP), 1991 Spec'zed Rockhopper, 2006 Bianchi Volpe
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle View Post
Once I get me new rigid fork an extra half inch of threads cut, it will be rigid, the seat is oh so nice though
wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 05:54 AM   #3319
Bicycle Addict
Senior Member
 
Bicycle Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,
Posts: 513
@wing Yes it is pretty rusty, I am surprised there is so much green left!! It did not look like it when I got it. Thanks for the mention.
Will load a better photo tomorrow, we got robbed 2 days ago so I have not had too much bike time as of late. Hoping to get some soon.
Bicycle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 08:58 AM   #3320
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Addict View Post
@wing Yes it is pretty rusty, I am surprised there is so much green left!! It did not look like it when I got it. Thanks for the mention.
Will load a better photo tomorrow, we got robbed 2 days ago so I have not had too much bike time as of late. Hoping to get some soon.
Damn! I'm sorry for your loss. May they catch whomever committed the robbery. I know how you feel, someone I trusted stole nearly everything from under me.
Sucks! >:-(

Last edited by WNG; 07-13-14 at 07:47 PM.
WNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 09:00 AM   #3321
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by countludwig View Post
My Entry. not the most vintage but she rides and handles great.
my only complaint is a place to mount a mirror, I used to run a bar end on the
regular handlebars but now...

The Fuji is vintage enough...steel, threaded headset, chromed fork, Blackburn mtb rack...it looks fantastic. Very nice job!
WNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 12:02 PM   #3322
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5,311
More pics! Finally got the fit all dialed in on my Grizzly, so here's an update.
due ruote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 02:14 PM   #3323
kehomer
Senior Member
 
kehomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Georgia
Bikes:
Posts: 266
A very striking bike. I like the combination of the understated green frame with the black components and red highlights. The beautiful landscape settings set it off. Terrific job!
kehomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 04:46 PM   #3324
neo_pop_71
Senior Member
 
neo_pop_71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 827
+1 I agree with kehomer, that is a very striking bike! I think what gets to me the most is the Celeste Grizzly was the upper hierarchy of Bianchi's trail racing bikes, the juxtaposition of the rack, fenders, and bar end shifters on a race bike really does my head in! That has to be a super comfortable bike to log many miles on in whatever condition or terrain. Plus, she is a real beauty... top job on the build due ruote and thanks for sharing!

-D-

p.s. The first photo could be a postcard, I'm diggin' it!!! Possibly a thieving screen grab to use as a wallpaper, thank you!
neo_pop_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:18 PM   #3325
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5,311
Coming from you guys, that's high praise - I've seen your bikes. Thanks.
due ruote is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:13 PM.