Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/828426-show-your-vintage-mtb-drop-bar-conversions.html)

frantik 03-20-13 09:22 AM

Sean what's up with that pink string.. did you spread the stays?

SeanBonham 03-20-13 09:35 AM

Yeah I had to cold set the frame. String is used for alignment. It was a pretty nerve racking, but I think it went well. The original spacing was 126mm, I set it to 132mm. Now I have to find out what is up with the front wheel being not centered in the fork... I know it is not the wheel dish as I have turned the wheel around and the problem is the same on the same side. I think I can get the build done buy tomorrow.

JJPistols 03-20-13 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanBonham (Post 15409719)


Lovely machine.

wintermute 03-20-13 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanBonham (Post 15409719)

I want this! Why is it so easy to find old large-framed road bikes, but next to impossible to find larg-framed mountain bikes (for non-ludicrous prices)?

cobrabyte 03-20-13 10:26 AM

The more I look at that string, the more I like that color with the grey frame and creme tires. If that was my bike, I'd definitely go with that color pink for the bar wrap. Pink & grey is a great color combo. Or maybe pink cable housings for a more understated pop of color.

Just thinking out loud here don't mind me...

striknein 03-20-13 10:31 AM

I agree. That color combo makes me want to take my shirt off and dance...

neo_pop_71 03-20-13 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striknein (Post 15410230)
I agree. That color combo makes me want to take my shirt off and dance...

:roflmao2:

Never underestimate the power of a tasty Stumpjumper... especially one done in '80's Miami Vice color scheme ! ! !

SeanBonham 03-20-13 11:14 AM

Well guys, that was my whole plan. I just want people to look at this bike and start dancing.

frantik 03-20-13 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanBonham (Post 15409975)
Yeah I had to cold set the frame. String is used for alignment. It was a pretty nerve racking, but I think it went well. The original spacing was 126mm, I set it to 132mm. Now I have to find out what is up with the front wheel being not centered in the fork... I know it is not the wheel dish as I have turned the wheel around and the problem is the same on the same side. I think I can get the build done buy tomorrow.

sweet.. looks awesome by the way

likebike23 03-20-13 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanBonham (Post 15409975)
Yeah I had to cold set the frame. String is used for alignment. It was a pretty nerve racking, but I think it went well. The original spacing was 126mm, I set it to 132mm. Now I have to find out what is up with the front wheel being not centered in the fork... I know it is not the wheel dish as I have turned the wheel around and the problem is the same on the same side. I think I can get the build done buy tomorrow.

When this happens to me, it's usually the dropouts in the fork not being parallel. Put the wheel in with the quick release loose. Slowly close the quick release and observe the fork ends. Usually one fork end will line up parallel with the locknut and the other will not just as the quick release clamps down. If this is the case, you can put a 12" adjustable on the misaligned fork end and bend it the way it needs to go. Not very precise, but if you're careful and deliberate, it works.

Btw: the bike looks sweet. What are those tires?

anixi 03-20-13 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 (Post 15409565)
C'mon WNG, your bike definitely points to the cleaner side on the Frankenmeter, compared to some builds we've seen, your Specialized is a solid goodie!

Hey anixi, do it man... let's see some pics of your Rincon conversion, any bike sportin' some Campy instantly has some cred with me! I'm always game to check out a custom build, whether it's been massaged or strong-armed, I love seeing how other people get creative!

OK, I'll take pictures today and post them. It rides very well, btw, despite the weight: 31 pounds!

SeanBonham 03-20-13 12:00 PM

They are both NOS Panaracer Magic XC Smoke and Dart. Not sure how long I will rock them as they are 15ish years old, maybe older:eek:
Quote:

Originally Posted by likebike23 (Post 15410578)
When this happens to me, it's usually the dropouts in the fork not being parallel. Put the wheel in with the quick release loose. Slowly close the quick release and observe the fork ends. Usually one fork end will line up parallel with the locknut and the other will not just as the quick release clamps down. If this is the case, you can put a 12" adjustable on the misaligned fork end and bend it the way it needs to go. Not very precise, but if you're careful and deliberate, it works.

Btw: the bike looks sweet. What are those tires?


anixi 03-20-13 12:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by anixi (Post 15410591)
OK, I'll take pictures today and post them. It rides very well, btw, despite the weight: 31 pounds!

Here are the pics:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305702http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305703http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305704http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305705

Campy 8X3 brifters, Serfas Drifters tires, Mirage triple f/r derailleurs, rando bars, Phil Wood 6-speed freewheel wheelset, LX V-brakes.
What do you all think? Frankenbike deluxe?

neo_pop_71 03-20-13 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by anixi (Post 15410975)
Here are the pics:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305702http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305703http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305704http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305705

Campy 8X3 brifters, Serfas Drifters tires, Mirage triple f/r derailleurs, rando bars, Phil Wood 6-speed freewheel wheelset, LX V-brakes.
What do you all think? Frankenbike deluxe?

Yeah anixi, seriously deluxe Frankenbike... compared to the stock parts on a Rincon, you stoked out this build in a huge way! You went way beyond a piece of Campy bike jewelry, full Campy drivetrain is a really nice touch!

I have to ask, why the flex noodle with the Travel Agent? Why not run the housing straight into the Travel Agent and hook it right into the v-brake? All the extra cable and flex is going to diminish your braking potential. Here are a couple pics of my '93 Barracuda, I didn't want to give up my 7 speed XT pods but I wanted to make use of some spare Avid v-brake calipers. The brakes work perfectly!
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305718http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305719

anixi 03-20-13 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 (Post 15411186)
Yeah anixi, seriously deluxe Frankenbike... compared to the stock parts on a Rincon, you stoked out this build in a huge way! You went way beyond a piece of Campy bike jewelry, full Campy drivetrain is a really nice touch!

I have to ask, why the flex noodle with the Travel Agent? Why not run the housing straight into the Travel Agent and hook it right into the v-brake? All the extra cable and flex is going to diminish your braking potential. Here are a couple pics of my '93 Barracuda, I didn't want to give up my 7 speed XT pods but I wanted to make use of some spare Avid v-brake calipers. The brakes work perfectly!
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305718http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305719

You can just chalk it up to plain ol' ignorance. I thought that you had to use the noodle with the V-brakes no matter what. I'll consider doing it your way. I'll have to take more pictures then...my laziness is battling with my curiosity...

bobotech 03-20-13 02:30 PM

i was going to say the same thing that you didn't need the noodle when you use travel agents. I like the bike otherwise. I think that pretty much all of the drop bar conversions unless done up on a really high end frame are going to weigh in at the high twenties/low thirties.

I just hope that I find a nice rigid MTB frame one of these days and not just a Hard Rock but something nicer.

Taxi Rob 03-20-13 07:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
updates to the Frankencross:
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305786http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=305787

Today we have the new Acera 28/38/48 replacing the old Specialized 22/32/42 set, new Odyssey Ghost pads on the u-brake, and GARY BARS WITH BAR ENDS. Yes, they do fit with room to spare, I dunno why so many of you think they don't. And I mounted my used set of pods, so the wedges are wider than normal from being tightened in larger diameter bars. I'm thinking about Retroshift levers eventually.

anixi 03-20-13 07:48 PM

^Wow, looks like something out of the latest Alien movie.

Taxi Rob 03-20-13 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainstreetexile (Post 15401301)
http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...9&d=1363600151



Nice, I think you bought this frameset from me along with the Alpina Pro and the Nishiki ONP. Not a lot of info out there on Asahi, but I remember this being a cool frame, it's cool to see it built up with drops and brifters for a rider of shorter stature. Do you have the Alpina Pro built up with drops?

Oh yeah, hi there! I bought the Schwinn Crosspoint from you the year before. Oh, and some bad news-the derailleur hanger on the Miyata was stripped, so I'm not rebuilding it into a tourer, but probable gonna build a two speed retrodirect out of it. I actually got the seatpost out without destroying it, and I was bummed when I found that out. Oh well. As far as the Univega, I powdercoated it white and threw a bunch of red anodized parts on it, along with blue Vuelta Airlines for what I called the "election year special" build, red white and blue. Pics of that forthcoming, I just switched the Sora brifters out for SunRace (Microshift) "push-push" models and I need to cable them and re-wrap the drop bars first.

Now that you know me online, let me know when you get anymore choice frames, yeah?

Taxi Rob 03-20-13 08:15 PM

Weighing in on the u brake
 
I have a DiaCompe 988 or something like that, and it sucked until I replaced the pads. I think the pad compound has more to do with stopping power than anything else, and even steel rims will stop well with the right pads (unless they are wet, of course.) If you're having trouble with mechanical advantage it may be that your cable is bound somewhere or you're using the wrong levers. And roller cams feature the further ability to replace the cam and change the mechanical advantage through the range of cable travel, so that's a huge deal that most people don't even think about. If any of you are having trouble with u brakes or roller cams consider these points before you bash them, mine is 30 years old and working fine.

Oh yeah, and I did have a 52/42/30 triple crankset on it and one point, and I just pushed the crank out as far as I could and it cleared the brake and still shifted well. I just wanted a sort of intermediate gearing so I went smaller.

ish 03-20-13 09:04 PM

Question for those building up conversions with super-relaxed geometry like the Stumpjumper above. Is the bike actually comfortable? Laid back frame + lean-forward bars just does not seem like a good combo to me.

Chris_in_Miami 03-20-13 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJPistols (Post 15410016)
Lovely machine.

Holy cow, haven't seen you here in a long time!! And yes, gorgeous Stumpjumper!

Chris_in_Miami 03-20-13 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ish (Post 15412828)
Question for those building up conversions with super-relaxed geometry like the Stumpjumper above. Is the bike actually comfortable? Laid back frame + lean-forward bars just does not seem like a good combo to me.

Comfortable, oh yes, but not ideal for all conditions. I thought my '87 High Sierra was brilliant at first, but I eventually decided it was a bit of a pig. I prefer the handling of my '90 Rockhopper, but the best advice I can give you is to try it and see for yourself.

ish 03-20-13 09:49 PM

The '87 High Sierra geometry does not seem like the early Stumpjumper geometry.

Maybe I'm just used to seeing those bikes with bullmoose bars rather than drops.

Chris_in_Miami 03-20-13 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ish (Post 15412975)
The '87 High Sierra geometry does not seem like the early Stumpjumper geometry.

Maybe I'm just used to seeing those bikes with bullmoose bars rather than drops.

No, not quite, but pretty still kind of slack angles and long chainstays:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-t...s800/HS_06.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 PM.