Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 62 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 3446
  1. #1526
    Senior Member inkandsilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two High Sierras, an 18" and a 20" (supposedly), for sale near me. From the poor photo they look like black chrome and all original. I could possibly help facilitate later this week.

    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...arch=&ad_cid=7

  2. #1527
    Senior Member Paramount1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930, Giant Iguana.
    Posts
    801
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami View Post
    That's correct, it makes no difference which side you put the levers on, they're identical.
    Yup. The later Shimano bar end shifters are righty-lefty.

  3. #1528
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bland Diego, CA
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anixi View Post
    ^Here's an idea: get a canti brake pad recommendation. I'm sure there are fine pads out there that will come close to doubling the braking power of the stock ones.
    I just installed Odyssey Ghost pads on my chainstay u-brake, and they're amazing little creatures. I do use a 203mm disc in front for probably about 80% of my braking, but the rear modulates well and will lock when I want it to, and it doesn't squeal. All else being equal, pads are everything.

    Also, you guys and your High Sierras and Cimarrons have got me going. Tomorrow I'm picking up a Mirada, which is set up as a sort of townie style, and is rocking an unfortunate claw-mount derailleur. Something about it is screaming at me to buy it, I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I already ordered barends, and I'm sitting on some Pivo rando bars and DiaCompe non-aero levers. Finished bike will be 3x7 Shimano indexed with a Falcon ramped freewheel.

    I guess I mostly want the Suntour XCII beartraps off of it for my next SS, and at the same time want to explore the most basic drop bar conversion process as opposed to the full customs I've been building. "Before" pic tomorrow, stay tuned.
    Last edited by Taxi Rob; 04-10-13 at 10:44 PM.
    1985 Nishiki Century/198? Miyata 610/19?? Omega 12/198? Univega Alpina Pro/198? Unknown MTB/1991 Koga-Miyata Randonneur Alloy/1996 GT Rage/199? DB "Frankencross"

  4. #1529
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,954
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    Sweet Ld's. Who made them? Could be tough to tighten on the trail with nothing but a multi tool? That will look good on the Arvon.
    Arvon stems for Arvon bicycles... seems right.

  5. #1530
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my latest project. Building a gravel grinder/commuter/baby trailer hauler for my wife.

    1996(?) Raleigh M-30
    Frame is in pristine condition


    Will be built up with alloy stem, drop bars, Tiagra 9 speed shifters, SRAM Apex rear derailleur, Shimano (Hollowtech) 105 Crankset, 9 speed Ultegra cassette and picking up a set of used 26" wheels (WTB Dual Duty rims/Formula hubs). Talk about a Franken-Bike! Should be complete within the next couple weeks!
    Last edited by screaminDOHC; 04-11-13 at 07:40 AM.

  6. #1531
    Senior Member jdefran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will the Shimano shifter play wit the SRAM rear derailleur? I haven't tried it but was under the impression it doesn't work
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    And who doesn't have space for a folding bike??

  7. #1532
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB (WIP), 1991 Spec'zed Rockhopper, 2006 Bianchi Volpe
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    WTB shift pods. They have been out of production since I think the early 90's.

    WTB dirt drop bars.
    WTB LD stem.
    WTB shift pods.
    WTB cable hanger.
    Campy headset.
    Campy brakes.
    XT thumbies.

    All wrapped up in a (dirty) cloth wrap.

    Not sure what I was thinking when I went with white hoods, wrap, saddle and housing. Some day I will replace it with a cleaner black.

    Love this. I wonder if you can replicate the WTB shifter pod effect by flipping Kelly Take-Offs from one bar to the other.

    Nevermind - I answered my own question with some additional google-fu - you can.
    Last edited by wintermute; 04-11-13 at 08:52 AM.
    1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile ~ 1986 Kuwahara ATB Drop Bar Convert (WIP) ~ 1991? Spec'zed Rockhopper ~ 2006 Bianchi Volpe

  8. #1533
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdefran View Post
    How will the Shimano shifter play wit the SRAM rear derailleur? I haven't tried it but was under the impression it doesn't work
    We shall see. They "say" that they are not compatible, but I don't quite comprehend how that is really possible.

    Theoretically, the derailleur is a big spring, it *shouldn't* care what brand of shifter is moving it as the Shifter is the mech that has indexed detents, not the derailleur. In my experience with building franken bikes, I don't think it should matter. I could be wrong though. The shifter will pull cable, and the derailleur will move.

  9. #1534
    Chainstay Brake Mafia
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,853
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Love this. I wonder if you can replicate the WTB shifter pod effect by flipping Kelly Take-Offs from one bar to the other.

    Nevermind - I answered my own question with some additional google-fu - you can.
    care to explain more? the kelly take offs have bosses for downtube shifters but most thumb shifters have proprietary mounts
    1986 Diamondback Apex ~ 1988 Diamondback Ascent EX ~ 1989 Jamis Dakar ~ 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
    1993 Trek 8300 Composite ~ 1993 Diamondback Axis Team Titanium ~ 1995 Diamondback Apex

    Join the Chainstay Brake Mafia!

  10. #1535
    Senior Member jdefran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminDOHC View Post
    We shall see. They "say" that they are not compatible, but I don't quite comprehend how that is really possible.

    Theoretically, the derailleur is a big spring, it *shouldn't* care what brand of shifter is moving it as the Shifter is the mech that has indexed detents, not the derailleur. In my experience with building franken bikes, I don't think it should matter. I could be wrong though. The shifter will pull cable, and the derailleur will move.
    From what I've read it has to do something with SRAM being a 1:1 ratio and Shimano 2:1. This kinda explains: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-624948.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    And who doesn't have space for a folding bike??

  11. #1536
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the trail
    Posts
    519
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Love this. I wonder if you can replicate the WTB shifter pod effect by flipping Kelly Take-Offs from one bar to the other.

    Nevermind - I answered my own question with some additional google-fu - you can.
    Linkey? Curious what you found.
    Seek: Early 80's Mountain Goat Bar/Stem Combo.

  12. #1537
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdefran View Post
    From what I've read it has to do something with SRAM being a 1:1 ratio and Shimano 2:1. This kinda explains: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-624948.html
    I'm gonna try it anyway and see what happens lol.

    I have a matching set of 9 speed Tiagra shifters, I'd rather use them if at all possible. If it *won't* work with the SRAM RD I have two options: Buy a new RD, OR use a RH SRAM Apex shifter from my parts bin with a Tiagra LH shifter. Cost being the driving factor on this build, if it doesn't work I'll probably just run with mismatched shifters (SRAM RH, Shimano LH) for a while

  13. #1538
    Senior Member jdefran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking you could get any shimano rd from at least 1990 (8 speed) and it'll work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    And who doesn't have space for a folding bike??

  14. #1539
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB (WIP), 1991 Spec'zed Rockhopper, 2006 Bianchi Volpe
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik View Post
    care to explain more? the kelly take offs have bosses for downtube shifters but most thumb shifters have proprietary mounts
    I'm starting my build from scratch so, if I do go this route, I'll be using downtubes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    Linkey? Curious what you found.
    Not much yet, I'm still just grazing for ideas. I just did a google image search for "Kelly Take-Offs" and some of the images appeared to have the shifters in a position easily accessible from the hoods.

    But, just now, I found this website, looks very promising, and although not true C&V, it does look the part...

    http://retroshift.com/store/products/cx2/
    1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile ~ 1986 Kuwahara ATB Drop Bar Convert (WIP) ~ 1991? Spec'zed Rockhopper ~ 2006 Bianchi Volpe

  15. #1540
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,492
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Not much yet, I'm still just grazing for ideas. I just did a google image search for "Kelly Take-Offs" and some of the images appeared to have the shifters in a position easily accessible from the hoods.
    Isn't that how they all are? I know when I had mine set up I could shift easily from the hoods and tops, but drops required a bit of contortion if I wanted to do more than nudging. I'm still debating whether to put them back on with a new build and try running the shift cables under the tape to get it out of the way.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  16. #1541
    Chainstay Brake Mafia
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,853
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by himespau View Post
    Isn't that how they all are? I know when I had mine set up I could shift easily from the hoods and tops, but drops required a bit of contortion if I wanted to do more than nudging. I'm still debating whether to put them back on with a new build and try running the shift cables under the tape to get it out of the way.
    i was debating to get take offs but if you can't shift from the drops easily then what's the point :\
    1986 Diamondback Apex ~ 1988 Diamondback Ascent EX ~ 1989 Jamis Dakar ~ 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
    1993 Trek 8300 Composite ~ 1993 Diamondback Axis Team Titanium ~ 1995 Diamondback Apex

    Join the Chainstay Brake Mafia!

  17. #1542
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,492
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik View Post
    i was debating to get take offs but if you can't shift from the drops easily then what's the point :\
    Well, I think if you flip them upside down you might be able to shift only from the drops. I spend all my time on the hoods with a little time on the tops while navigating traffic in the commute, so they worked well for me.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  18. #1543
    Chainstay Brake Mafia
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,853
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if they are upside down wouldn't the cables go the wrong way? or flip the sides too? anyone have a pic or experience using this set up?
    1986 Diamondback Apex ~ 1988 Diamondback Ascent EX ~ 1989 Jamis Dakar ~ 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
    1993 Trek 8300 Composite ~ 1993 Diamondback Axis Team Titanium ~ 1995 Diamondback Apex

    Join the Chainstay Brake Mafia!

  19. #1544
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update for tonite. Drop bars, shifters mounted for fun, 105 octalink installed. I have a better wheel set, junk wheels are just to see how it looks.








  20. #1545
    Senior Member Bikedued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad! The clean frame makes that bike, in a big way!

    I came across this. If EVER there was a bike begging for a drop bar conversion, this is IT! I'd do it up cyclocross style, with WIDE Tektro canti's,,,,BD

    http://houston.craigslist.org/bik/3708295327.html
    "Whale. Oil. Beef. Hooked!" The Rumjacks

  21. #1546
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB (WIP), 1991 Spec'zed Rockhopper, 2006 Bianchi Volpe
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by himespau View Post
    Isn't that how they all are? I know when I had mine set up I could shift easily from the hoods and tops, but drops required a bit of contortion if I wanted to do more than nudging. I'm still debating whether to put them back on with a new build and try running the shift cables under the tape to get it out of the way.
    Whoops, I meant drops, not hoods. Brain fart.
    1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile ~ 1986 Kuwahara ATB Drop Bar Convert (WIP) ~ 1991? Spec'zed Rockhopper ~ 2006 Bianchi Volpe

  22. #1547
    Senior Member himespau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    7,492
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Whoops, I meant drops, not hoods. Brain fart.
    Yeah, I think that should work. You might be able to put the levers on 180 degrees different while leaving the Kelley's in the same orientation. I've thought about trying that, but then decided that I'm so rarely in the drops (except descending or something where I rarely shift), so decided not to bother.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"


  23. #1548
    Senior Member neo_pop_71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminDOHC View Post
    Update for tonite. Drop bars, shifters mounted for fun, 105 octalink installed. I have a better wheel set, junk wheels are just to see how it looks.







    Hey screaminDOHC,

    Nice build you have going, I'm sure once it's all flowing together your wife will really enjoy the relaxed geometry with the drop bar road set up. I know cost can be a motivator and recycling what you already have vs. buying what you don't is always a factor but I think you could simplify everything by keeping it all Shimano and picking up a 9 speed rear derailleur. That will solve everything and avoid the whole cross brand issue of compatibility. Plus, in my opinion keep up a tidier aesthetic as I prefer the look of the Shimano over the Sram but also assures proper shift ratios. There is plenty of reading out there regarding a "ShimApex" drivetrain as to whether this or that works, mix and match as you like but I'd suggest solving your issue with a 9 speed Shimano "mountain" bike derailleur. The cable pull ratio of all 9 speed index-compatible Shimano shifters/rear derailleurs is the same, road or mountain (with the one exception being 8 speed and earlier Dura Ace). Any of them will do but the XTR, XT, and LX had the strongest springs, opt for a long cage if possible (wider cassette gearing possibilities in the future). There is no shortage of new and used ones on Ebay and Craigslist for cheap ($20 used and $40 new for 9 speed LX). The way I see it... you have a pure Shimano set up and the only thing hanging you up is a rear derailleur, you stated above that you'd prefer to run the Tiagra brifters, just pick up a rear derailleur and you're done.

    -D-
    Last edited by neo_pop_71; 04-12-13 at 08:03 AM.
    I'd rather add more life to my years, than years to my life.

  24. #1549
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 View Post
    Hey screaminDOHC,

    Nice build you have going, I'm sure once it's all flowing together your wife will really enjoy the relaxed geometry with the drop bar road set up. I know cost can be a motivator and recycling what you already have vs. buying what you don't is always a factor but I think you could simplify everything by keeping it all Shimano and picking up a 9 speed rear derailleur. That will solve everything and avoid the whole cross brand issue of compatibility. Plus, in my opinion keep up a tidier aesthetic as I prefer the look of the Shimano over the Sram but also assures proper shift ratios. There is plenty of reading out there regarding a "ShimApex" drivetrain as to whether this or that works, mix and match as you like but I'd suggest solving your issue with a 9 speed Shimano "mountain" bike derailleur. The cable pull ratio of all 9 speed index-compatible Shimano shifters/rear derailleurs is the same, road or mountain (with the one exception being 8 speed and earlier Dura Ace). Any of them will do but the XTR, XT, and LX had the strongest springs, opt for a long cage if possible (wider cassette gearing possibilities in the future). There is no shortage of new and used ones on Ebay and Craigslist for cheap ($20 used and $40 new for 9 speed LX). The way I see it... you have a pure Shimano set up and the only thing hanging you up is a rear derailleur, you stated above that you'd prefer to run the Tiagra brifters, just pick up a rear derailleur and you're done.

    -D-
    Thanks! I had her sit on it (she's currently pregnant) and the current geometry seemed to work (this will be an addition to her fleet which currently consists of a Trek Tri Bike, Trek 2.3 Road bike, and FS mtb).
    I'm going to scour around for a Shimano 9 speed RD, as I totally agree and came to that conclusion last night.
    Not to mention that she's used to Shimano, and throwing half Shimano, half Sram double tap might be confusing.
    Can't wait to see it complete.

  25. #1550
    Senior Member Chrome Molly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    I lose count...
    Posts
    1,343
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Almost done with this Croll build (from NOS frame). Will be wearing a different FD and spd's as well as some general finishing up of the cables before it's completed. Just back from initial (and successful) shakedown run.

    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •