Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-12, 09:04 PM   #1
hodgykins 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hodgykins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: McFarland, Wisconsin
Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1984 Schwinn "Tri-Color" Paramount
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Schwinn Paramount 1978 My new purchase

Hi,

I hope Schwimm Paramount C&V lovers can help! I think I have come across and picked up a nice bike. I cringe and hope you all agree....feedback is more than welcome and apprecaited. I am an admitted newbie at this classic and vintage forum and research only goes so far as actuall experence. So this is what I know:

1. Purchased from "old lady" during an estate auction. Custom ordered (all paint no chrome), and some upgrades over time (man died in early 90's) hardly ever rode...and it appears as this is true.
2. I bought from the purchaser who knows not what he had, but after the bike dealer (sticker still on bike) appraised he put on CL
3. I feel comfortable with the price I paid based on what I have seen on Ebay and CL and just reading on line...sorry in bed for 4 weeks due to surgery and why not waste time on bike research. Fell in love with the 70's Paramounts (my first bike was a purple stingray and first new bike was a Scrambler :-)...So kind of a Schwinn guy already. (own a Bianchi Volpe not vintage but responsible for my reinterest in bike...gotta love em all!)
4. "upgrades" appear to be the Deore XT front and back, but I have included a link to my Picasa site for your viewing pleasure.

Please provide your 2 cents or more and let me know what I bought. I do not know the rims or spokes...and not sure of the rear cassette or chain...but pics will help all who view.

I welcome your feedback!

Cheers!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1032496...JDhxqmfrc7DtwE

Last edited by hodgykins; 07-17-12 at 09:13 PM. Reason: wrong year/cannot spell when tired
hodgykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 09:15 PM   #2
Scooper
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco California
Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22
Posts: 10,259
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
It looks like a white '79 P15-9. Nice bike.

What's the serial number on the left rear dropout? If it's L78xx as it appears to be from your photo, it's a '79 model year bike (November, 1978).



__________________
- Stan

Last edited by Scooper; 07-17-12 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added specs page
Scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 09:23 PM   #3
Michael Angelo 
Senior Member
 
Michael Angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hurricane Alley , Florida
Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.
Posts: 3,805
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Very nice bike with a nice combination of high end components. Even the Calipers are first Gen Weinmann Carreras. Very good and highly under rated, I would keep those with a new set of pads. The hubs seem C-record along with the Aero Brake handles. The Shimano Deore XT RD seems out of place, but as long as it works good I would leave it.

Last edited by Michael Angelo; 07-17-12 at 09:31 PM.
Michael Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 09:24 PM   #4
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,746
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Looks like a semi-modified, late-1978 P15-9 w/replacement freewheel (Shimano UG), derailers (Shimano Deore XT) and Campagnolo C-Record hubs. Should be an excellent ride as-is; the Deore bits will shift better than the original hardware.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 09:32 PM   #5
jim hughes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shadowfax!
jim hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 09:39 PM   #6
hodgykins 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hodgykins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: McFarland, Wisconsin
Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1984 Schwinn "Tri-Color" Paramount
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
It looks like a white '79 P15-9. Nice bike.

What's the serial number on the left rear dropout? If it's L78xx as it appears to be from your photo, it's a '79 model year bike (November, 1978).



I knew I came to the right place You are right. The serial is L7820 (should be October 78 as the letter I was not used) and I posted the wrong date (sorry tired) in the title. The Deore got me too...seems strange..sum rubbing on the smallest rear cog...try adjusting when I have time.

Thanks all
hodgykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 09:49 PM   #7
Scooper
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco California
Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22
Posts: 10,259
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgykins View Post
I knew I came to the right place You are right. The serial is L7820 (should be October 78 as the letter I was not used) and I posted the wrong date (sorry tired) in the title. The Deore got me too...seems strange..sum rubbing on the smallest rear cog...try adjusting when I have time.

Thanks all
L=November, not October. The letter I is not used because it could be confused with a 1.

A=Jan, B=Feb, C=Mar, D=Apr, E=May, F=Jun, G=Jul, H=Aug, J=Sep, K=Oct, L=Nov, M=Dec
__________________
- Stan
Scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 09:54 PM   #8
hodgykins 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hodgykins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: McFarland, Wisconsin
Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1984 Schwinn "Tri-Color" Paramount
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
L=November, not October. The letter I is not used because it could be confused with a 1.

A=Jan, B=Feb, C=Mar, D=Apr, E=May, F=Jun, G=Jul, H=Aug, J=Sep, K=Oct, L=Nov, M=Dec
Thanks for writing it out for us that are on the slow side tonight :-)

Ugh yes you are correct!!!
hodgykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 10:03 PM   #9
hodgykins 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hodgykins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: McFarland, Wisconsin
Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1984 Schwinn "Tri-Color" Paramount
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim hughes View Post
Shadowfax!
Good one as my kids are watching "The Two Towers" DVD right now. I like!
hodgykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 10:07 PM   #10
zazenzach
Senior Member
 
zazenzach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
congrats. that paramount is totally cherry.
zazenzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 10:08 PM   #11
OrangeHorse
Senior Member
 
OrangeHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Bikes: All-City Space Horse, Peugeot UO-18 mixte, Schwinn Sprint (my childhood 10-speed), Trek 820 (husband's)
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very pretty bike. Enjoy!
OrangeHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 09:57 AM   #12
hodgykins 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hodgykins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: McFarland, Wisconsin
Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1984 Schwinn "Tri-Color" Paramount
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgykins View Post
Hi,

I hope Schwimm Paramount C&V lovers can help! I think I have come across and picked up a nice bike. I cringe and hope you all agree....feedback is more than welcome and apprecaited. I am an admitted newbie at this classic and vintage forum and research only goes so far as actuall experence. So this is what I know:

1. Purchased from "old lady" during an estate auction. Custom ordered (all paint no chrome), and some upgrades over time (man died in early 90's) hardly ever rode...and it appears as this is true.
2. I bought from the purchaser who knows not what he had, but after the bike dealer (sticker still on bike) appraised he put on CL
3. I feel comfortable with the price I paid based on what I have seen on Ebay and CL and just reading on line...sorry in bed for 4 weeks due to surgery and why not waste time on bike research. Fell in love with the 70's Paramounts (my first bike was a purple stingray and first new bike was a Scrambler :-)...So kind of a Schwinn guy already. (own a Bianchi Volpe not vintage but responsible for my reinterest in bike...gotta love em all!)
4. "upgrades" appear to be the Deore XT front and back, but I have included a link to my Picasa site for your viewing pleasure.

Please provide your 2 cents or more and let me know what I bought. I do not know the rims or spokes...and not sure of the rear cassette or chain...but pics will help all who view.

I welcome your feedback!

Cheers!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1032496...JDhxqmfrc7DtwE
Thank you all I am feeling good about it. Few more thoughts...check out the picture links as I just installed my black Brooks B-17 on it. Pictures up shortly.

Also any ideas on water bottle holders. The orginal owner did not have the water bottle braze ons put on when purchased...very clean but now ideas that would be period correct would be helpful.
hodgykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 11:06 AM   #13
Scooper
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco California
Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22
Posts: 10,259
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgykins View Post
Also any ideas on water bottle holders. The orginal owner did not have the water bottle braze ons put on when purchased...very clean but now ideas that would be period correct would be helpful.
Back in the days before braze-on water bottle cage mounts, the bottle cages were mounted on the handlebars. A number of companies make updated versions of the old handlebar mounts specifically for pre-braze-on frames. Sunlite is a good example.

http://www.eriksbikeshop.com/handleb...pa6607/product



The old version Schwinn used to sell is number 8 on this catalog page. The two top clamps clamped onto the handlebar on each side of the stem, and the bottom clamp clamped onto the vertical part of the stem. Sometimes you'll find them on eBay.

__________________
- Stan
Scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-12, 12:00 PM   #14
hodgykins 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hodgykins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: McFarland, Wisconsin
Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1984 Schwinn "Tri-Color" Paramount
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
Back in the days before braze-on water bottle cage mounts, the bottle cages were mounted on the handlebars. A number of companies make updated versions of the old handlebar mounts specifically for pre-braze-on frames. Sunlite is a good example.

http://www.eriksbikeshop.com/handleb...pa6607/product



The old version Schwinn used to sell is number 8 on this catalog page. The two top clamps clamped onto the handlebar on each side of the stem, and the bottom clamp clamped onto the vertical part of the stem. Sometimes you'll find them on eBay.

That is great, and a local link...you are so kind!
hodgykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 AM.