Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My alleged Gios Torino bike (a Moser wanna be)

    Hello folks, first post and first bike..

    I've recently bought this bike that is covered all over with Francesco Moser's decals. It seems to be a Gios Torino. It has the GT logo on the fork crown. Also the bottom bracket shell has the same logo, but unlikely any other Gios I saw on the net, there are cable guides on the bottom of the shell covering the cut logo. It has stamped frame size and another 3 digits number (serial imo). There are 2 holes for a head badge, one of it sealed by the paint, the other is visible. The paint jobs is interesting.
    The bike is a mix of parts.. campy chorus hubs and strada cranks, super record? brakes, Dia compe brake levers, colnago aero seat post, 3ttt stem and handlebars, some ugly plastic shimano gear shifters that I hate.. The headset is hatta swan.

    I am trying to figure out what year it was made. According to rear dropouts it shouldn't be produced before '77. Have you guys ever seen something similar to this bike? I struggle to get more info about it. Already emailed Gios waiting for their reply.

    Anyway, it's a great ride and I got it pretty cheap... Bunch of pictures in the link bellow:

    https://picasaweb.google.com/1066038...yh7_G768rqhQE#

  2. #2
    Fast+Bulbous thinktubes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool bike - looks interesting. 6-sp or 7-sp?

    I would guess somewhere between 1982 and 1986. Interesting mix of parts, probably happened over a period of years.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jet sanchEz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you near Toronto? Back in the '80s a bunch of Gios lugs were used to make bikes and passed off as all sorts of different marquees, Mosers among them. I don't know which shop did them but yeah, I have seen many bikes made with Gios lugs that were made here in the city.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thinktubes View Post
    Cool bike - looks interesting. 6-sp or 7-sp?

    I would guess somewhere between 1982 and 1986. Interesting mix of parts, probably happened over a period of years.
    Thanks for the reply. It's 8-sp.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
    Are you near Toronto? Back in the '80s a bunch of Gios lugs were used to make bikes and passed off as all sorts of different marquees, Mosers among them. I don't know which shop did them but yeah, I have seen many bikes made with Gios lugs that were made here in the city.
    I am located in East Europe. I forgot to mention, the previous owner told me he bought it used from Belgium.

  6. #6
    Senior Member cyclotoine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YT
    Posts
    7,473
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like it could be an early 1980s professional?
    1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,399
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a mid + 70's Gios Super Record that was modified with updated cable routing, braze-on front der tab, and recessed brake mounts. Along with the funky paint and Moser livery. All pretty typical in the life of a racing bicycle in Belgium. Nothing out of the ordinary at all to my eyes.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,399
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclotoine View Post
    looks like it could be an early 1980s professional?
    "Gt" shell and fork crown were long gone before the Professional's were introduced.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,685
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    It looks like a mid + 70's Gios Super Record that was modified with updated cable routing, braze-on front der tab, and recessed brake mounts. Along with the funky paint and Moser livery. All pretty typical in the life of a racing bicycle in Belgium. Nothing out of the ordinary at all to my eyes.
    That is about how I view it. Later 70's with modifications.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    It looks like a mid + 70's Gios Super Record that was modified with updated cable routing, braze-on front der tab, and recessed brake mounts. Along with the funky paint and Moser livery. All pretty typical in the life of a racing bicycle in Belgium. Nothing out of the ordinary at all to my eyes.
    Hey thanks for the reply. That's close to my guess, '77-80 because of the porta catena holes and the GT logo instead of the lately introduced "coin".
    I would like to bring it as close as possible to it's original look, replacing the Moser decals with Gios ones and may be putting a head badge in that empty holes. Preserving the funky paint job and just re-chrome the fork, it's pretty rusty.
    Do you know why these modifications were made and have you seen other Gios Torino bikes modified? Was that something common back in the days?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,399
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skayda View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply. That's close to my guess, '77-80 because of the porta catena holes and the GT logo instead of the lately introduced "coin".
    I would like to bring it as close as possible to it's original look, replacing the Moser decals with Gios ones and may be putting a head badge in that empty holes. Preserving the funky paint job and just re-chrome the fork, it's pretty rusty.
    Do you know why these modifications were made and have you seen other Gios Torino bikes modified? Was that something common back in the days?
    Very typical in the day for racers in Europe on small teams to use their own bikes re-painted in whatever the Team's sponser had them riding, or to change livery with a change in sponsers, bikes would be passed down to younger riders who would not warrent a new bike, etc.

    And typical to "modernize" your race bike every few years. These were just tools at the time and used for as long they could be.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the answer from Gios family:

    "The frame is a Gios Torino from 1976-1977.




    It has been modified. The wire should pass un the top of the bottom braket and not in the bottom. The front derailleur hanger has been brazed in a second time...
    Marco Gios"


    Since I bought it for about 90 euros I consider it a good deal and hope I will ride it for years.
    Anyway, thank you all of you guys! Otis your knowledge is impressive hehe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •