I purchased a Sugino 48/34 compact crankset for the DD and it worked swimmingly with my 13/26 8 speed shimergo rear and veloce 10 speed brifters. Issue is that I'm getting spun with some frequency due to the 48/13 not being quite enough for descents and down wind. This is my 5-6 hour weekend ride bike, so I sort of want to form an opinion instead of trial and error.
Therefore, I need to do one of these things (add more if you can think of other options)
- Hub-bub it to a 9 speed ultegra cassette 12-27
- Purchase a 50+ tooth large ring and a chain keeper
- Completely swap out the rear for campy 10 speed 12-?, including a new wheelset (which is warranted given I was roll passed by teenagers on the descents) - wouldn't happen until later this winter though...
- Put on the pre DD 53-39 and avoid the steepest local hills (not liking that idea, since I don't want to give back my climbing legs, but it is an option)
- Cobble together my own cassette, but the 13-26 and other ones I've recently purchased are riveted, so need some guidance in that case
- Triple crank - maybe
- Do nothing and just be spun out every now and then
Other thoughts or reasons for personal preferences for any of the options are appreciated. Leaning toward swapping out the rear for full campy, but know there are cheapskates and artists on this forum that might have me picking another idea.