Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Vintage decals

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Vintage decals

    Hi everyone,

    I'm in the process of restoring a few late 40's - early 50's English bikes, and I now need decals.

    There's H Lloyd Cycles of course, and offers on eBay, but can anyone recommend a decal supplier based on experience? The decals should be as faithful to the originals as possible.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Old Yeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    1987 Trek 1500, 1989 Pinarello Montello, 1998 Trek 7000 MTB
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had good experiences with both H Lloyd's and JRestore. They were both vinyl stickers instead of original water slide decals so if original is important, water slide can be custom made but I don't know who can do them. I saw Hobby Lobby carries water slide inkjet decal paper where you can create your own if you have the artwork on your computer and have a high quality inkjet printer.

  3. #3
    Forum Admin lotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    n.w. superdrome
    My Bikes
    1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
    Posts
    17,643
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can get a frame builder to contact him, Gary at Sssink.com has some excellent decals
    Waterslide and varnish fix. He will not sell to individuals so that's why I say get
    Frame unilateral to contact him
    Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
    Odio la gente, tutti.

    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Michael Angelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hurricane Alley , Florida
    My Bikes
    Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
    I had good experiences with both H Lloyd's and JRestore. They were both vinyl stickers instead of original water slide decals so if original is important, water slide can be custom made but I don't know who can do them. I saw Hobby Lobby carries water slide inkjet decal paper where you can create your own if you have the artwork on your computer and have a high quality inkjet printer.
    Both those decal suppliers will make water slide decals. Just ask.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Old Yeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    1987 Trek 1500, 1989 Pinarello Montello, 1998 Trek 7000 MTB
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Angelo View Post
    Both those decal suppliers will make water slide decals. Just ask.
    Well, I just learned something. I will keep that in mind for some future project.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll post pictures when the frames are finished, and let you know how the decals worked out...

    The frames are: a '48 Hobbs Supercourse, a '54 Holdsworth Cyclone and a '53 Hetchins Experto Crede.

    Cheers, J.

  7. #7
    Stop reading my posts! unworthy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8,384
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by realsteel View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll post pictures when the frames are finished, and let you know how the decals worked out...

    The frames are: a '48 Hobbs Supercourse, a '54 Holdsworth Cyclone and a '53 Hetchins Experto Crede.

    Cheers, J.
    You might also check with Hugh at this site:
    http://bicycledecals.net/decalschart.htm
    he has some for all 3 makes, but they may not match you particular year(s) or model(s)...he is always adding new sets to his catalogue.

    The other obvious party to check with is Greg Softley in Australia, one path to his shop is thru eBay where his user name (used to be cyclomondo but now) is gts753.

  8. #8
    Senior Member DIMcyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Trying to avoid more red ones...
    Posts
    590
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the references!

    My latest restoration bike has some very old, very cool, but very obscure tubeset decals; now I should be able to recreate them (or get them recreated) and not worry about losing them when I redo the frame.
    Trek 820 (650b), Univega Rover 10 (650b), Trek 930, Fuji League, Bridgestone RB-2, Bridgestone XO-3, Soma Smoothie ES, LeMond Buenos Aires, Torelli Corsa Strada

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •