I picked this up just this afternoon, and all the seller knew about it was that it belonged to a recently deceased college lecturer. As you can see from the pictures it's very much the old style of road bike with the longer frame, so I assumed it was late 30s or thereabouts. However, the Sturmey hub is dated 1951... so begins the mystery...
Interesting things I've noticed:
1) The front and rear wheels do not match
2) The Sturmey shifter is contemporary with the 1951 rear hub
3) The wheels are 26 x 1 1/4
4) The area around the head tube is painted gold, just like on a Golden Arrow
5) The Lauterwasser handlebars and stem are black, and where the colour has flaked there is no sign of chrome underneath. I know earlier bikes came with black celluloid bars, but the Raleigh catalogues all suggest chromed bars were standard
6) The herons on the chainring have engraved 'eyes'
7) The serial number on the frame is 73735
My guess is that the rear wheel is a later upgrade of sorts, but I was hoping someone might be able to help with an ID. Thanks!