Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Highest quality build of 70's80's road/touring bikes... (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/926705-highest-quality-build-70s80s-road-touring-bikes.html)

Brandosees 12-20-13 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgedwa (Post 16342345)
Touring bikes tend to be of pretty uniformly good quality across the board. So, if you find one for a good price, snap it up.

Road bikes? Most every brand had great, good, okay, and bad models. So the list of good ones would be uselessly long. Instead, look for bike with good components, then you know you have one that is worth putting thought and effort into.

Simple as that.

jim

Thanks, Jim. I wasnt aware that touring bikes were generally of a better build than road bikes. This makes sense, though.
Depending on the shop, I've seen these terms used interchangeably referring to contemporary bikes. I'm not versed enough yet, to make the distinction.

Brandosees 12-20-13 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 16342429)
To the OP, here's your bike, the 1978 Fuji America:

http://classicfuji.com/America_1978_Page.htm

Find one in your size. It's everything that you want and more. PG

Beautiful bike.
It would have been nice if you'd just said that. I would not presume to tell what to say/not say, however.

Thank you for the link. I hope it's sturdy enough for 250-300lbs total.

Not constant weight, just around 50 miles per week, in the city.
While actually taking it upstate, I'll probably carry only 200.

Brandosees 12-20-13 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narhay (Post 16342924)
A c&v troll. The varsity really tips it off. ,

"What are some of the nicer bikes I should look into except I don't want to be told they are better than my possibly biggest bike boom clunker bike."

Lol. Move along, move along.

I don't even know what c&v is.
How much life experience must one accrue before realizing not to assume?

Brandosees 12-20-13 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd (Post 16342928)
Maybe I'm reading this all wrong (I'm not assuming the OP is a troll), but I don't see the cause for piling on the OP. He wrote a very detailed post; it's his thread. I think if one doesn't want to respond with what the OP was asking for then one should move on and not respond at all.

Brandosees, where are you located? My local vintage shop has all sorts of restored vintage bikes for in your budget. Any bike with a 3-piece crankset and all aluminum alloy components (no steel) is going to be a lot lighter than a Varsity and that usually translates to a more enjoyable ride.

100 miles a week on a Varsity? Good on ya, Brandosees.



Hi. Thanks for the reply. Got in a little while ago.
Sorry for the delayed responded.

I live in NYC. Major hills in my area. Quite steep.
Based on my research, I found that steel bikes are supposed to be more comfortable on long trips and carrying heavier loads.
Though, I didn't provide all of that info at the time because I figured I'd just research the bikes myself and that asking for the strongest would lead me there.

Anyway, I'm sorry for not including the part of wanting to support a heavy load.
Now knowing this, does your advice still apply?

To be clear, I am not challenging anything you said.
These are honest questions.

Thank you.

Brandosees 12-20-13 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Oxley (Post 16343052)
Ahhhhh, but now he's gonna smack you too, CJL. He made it very clear he wanted a list of bikes, and only a list. With all the effort you put into your post couldn't you have just posted what I asked for? Just what I expected from you old goats. You just lost me as a member AGAIN. :lol:


I only stayed on because I couldn't find the link to cancel and then received a nice message from a member.
Thanks for the stupidity, though.
Youre right, I'll leave, AGAIN.

I can't spend what little free time I have reading rubbish like this.

Anyone know how to cancel so I can save everyone the horror of my newbie presence?

No one else need to reply to the original question.
Ill sample every bike in creation and become a bike mechanic and read all the literature on bikes and perhaps get around to my studies and work.

Peace.

Brandosees 12-20-13 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 16343644)
Running out on a limb here, but I think there is a move against needing to understand what's in technology. To run an Apple you do not need to know anything about operating systems, so all that information is extraneous. At the same time, it's a goal of education to learn how to sift through a source of knowledge for the part you need, and to filter the signal from the noise.



I read over 200 pages a day for school and pleasure, on average. I work.
I love to learn. Sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day.
This was a broad question about more easily answered through the input of many, which I thought made it perfectly suited to this forum.
I didn't ask for bike mechanics lessons. Just opinion or fact on build quality.

redneckwes 12-20-13 02:41 AM

Brandosees,

The Utility cycling
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...tility-Cycling

And Commuting forums, might also be good sources of advise.
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/20-Commuting



As for me I'd say just about any RJB would work, (regular Japanese Bike.) Any of a dozen companies made serviceable and quite capable machines in the 1975-1990 era. Panasonic Bridgestone, Centurion, Fuji, Miyata, Nishiki, and Univega all made machines that will fit your use admirably. All of which are also easy to maintain and source parts for.

Classic and Vintage is it's own little world, we are our own little community focused on a fairly specific little corner of our hobby. We don't really work in quick answers and absolutes, because in vintage bicycles, quick answers and absolutes rarely exist.

Frenchosa 12-20-13 04:48 AM

I bicycled across America on a Nishiki Cresta. It was a wonderful bike that doesn't cost that much. I think it road nicer than my 26inch wheeled Surly LHT. Here is a link of Saguaro's Cresta who customized it with very nice parts... really made it classy.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Nishiki-Cresta

Your post says... highest quality build of a 70's 80's road bike.... a Nishiki Cresta I can imagine be easily found for $300 to $400... this one is $200

http://asheville.craigslist.org/bik/4193356799.html

in Sagaru's build I see $1200 in modern parts, not including all the all the nice NOS vintage parts.... brakes and drive train. Can only imagine what the total budget was.

FujiOtaku has a nice blog on Fuji's and the Phoenix project, no expense spared on a Trek 620. Total cost was $4,000!

http://nihonmaru.blogspot.jp/2011/07...0-alights.html

Never thought of Fuji's being a nice bike till I saw his blog and his Phoenix build is an epic journey. It is a long, fun read.



Japanese touring or sport bikes are nice. With your current budget, I would stick to Suntour or Shimano. I have seen bikes with Shimano 600 groupset sell for $400. Also don't be afraid of Frankenstein bikes.. bikes with a mixture of non stock parts and brands. I bought a Miyata 910 at a very reasonable price for some of the parts.. sold the frame and what I didn't need for the price of the bike.

If you are really into vintage bikes... I would invest in these tools below because when you buy a used bike.. the chances are some of the parts will be worn.


Workstand
Chain splicer
Crank remover
Bottom bracket remover
Cassette or chain wheel remover and chain whip
Cone wrenches


When you master normal maintenance... buy wheel building tools and headset press. My $100 investment in the headset press 15 years ago paid for itself in the second year. Watching youtube videos on maintenance is really helpful. I wish those were available when I started buying bikes 25 years ago.

If you want to spend more than $500.. I would look at a Reynolds 531 frame with beautiful Nervex lugs. A Raleigh International is a nice example of one. You say you don't like light bikes... but I think for your normal leisurely paced riding beefy bomb proof wheel and tires will make a bigger difference than the weight of the frame.

What is a nice bike is very subjective to taste, kind of like music.

Narhay 12-20-13 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3alarmer (Post 16344756)
...it's just you. You old goats are soooooo crabby.:love:

Fify

randyjawa 12-20-13 05:42 AM

Since the OP (Brandosees) cannot figure out how to cancel his/her membership, perhaps a forum officer could do it for him/her and save us from further, as he puts it "rubbish"...

"I only stayed on because I couldn't find the link to cancel and then received a nice message from a member.
Thanks for the stupidity, though.
Youre right, I'll leave, AGAIN.

I can't spend what little free time I have reading rubbish like this.

Anyone know how to cancel so I can save everyone the horror of my newbie presence"

mparker326 12-20-13 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandosees (Post 16345163)

Officially done with this site. Enjoy commenting on nonsense.
I do know the name of my condition.
It's called being too busy to become a bike mechanic right at this time and only having a few spare minutes a day due to running a business.



http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iCB3fnX...%3DiCB3fnXDzew

Zephyr11 12-20-13 06:54 AM

This has been a mess since page 1. Closed.

Siu Blue Wind 12-20-13 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd (Post 16342928)
Maybe I'm reading this all wrong (I'm not assuming the OP is a troll), but I don't see the cause for piling on the OP. He wrote a very detailed post; it's his thread. I think if one doesn't want to respond with what the OP was asking for then one should move on and not respond at all.

Brandosees, where are you located? My local vintage shop has all sorts of restored vintage bikes for in your budget. Any bike with a 3-piece crankset and all aluminum alloy components (no steel) is going to be a lot lighter than a Varsity and that usually translates to a more enjoyable ride.

100 miles a week on a Varsity? Good on ya, Brandosees.

Okay I don't usually post after a thread is closed but I do want to say that I agree with this. We need to remember that everyone is new at some point and the whole concept of this place is to help out others and share great experiences. Perhaps we can try to take it easy on some of the newcomers? I don't like the fact that someone that comes on here starts a thread and feels pressured out. If anyone thinks there is a problem with a person, PLEASE use the report button (the little triangle on the bottom left of each post) and let the moderation team go over the situation. If you don't like a post, let us know, there is absolutely no need to pile on someone unless you are trying to make the feel stupid. I'm surprised at all the negativity here. "Good riddance"? How unwelcoming...

Please think about other people before you post.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:18 PM.