Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   C&V Clunker 100 Challenge (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/933992-c-v-clunker-100-challenge.html)

Rest_assured 03-14-14 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debit (Post 16576769)
We call it "80's fabulous" in my house. Men had it good with the stubble and the pretty pastels. We women had to settle for black, purple or acid lime green, and the only thing bigger than our hair was our shoulder pads.

On that note, I actually have never seem a really bright ladies bike from that era. Was it just men's bikes that were so flamboyant?
Wierdly enough, hot pink does make a certain kind of confidently masculine statement.

Lascauxcaveman 03-15-14 12:48 AM

Been doing lunchtime rides on my clunker, regular 8.4 miler out-and-backs in a place that'd make most you land-locked bikers kinda drool and/or dream of an eventual coastal relocation. Ediz Hook is a nearly unique natural sandspit formation, reinforced with rip-rap (boulders) over the last hundred years or so by the good ol' Army Corps of Engineers. In Port Angeles Harbor, it forms the second largest deepwater harbor on the west coast, after San Fransisco bay, or so I read somewhere. I guess that sort of ignores the entire Puget Sound, but whatevs.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/photo-47.jpg

This shot below was taken at about 20mph with a 20mph wind at my back, just a test of the hands-free-riding capabilities of the clunker to let me know the frame, fork and front wheel are all reasonably straight. Rode for a couple of miles like this, making a few calls, playing with the GPS, taking photos, pretty much doing everything but touching the handlebars. Gravel, frost heaves, debris on the shoulder, etc. Not a twitch.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/photo-45.jpg

On the way out there from downtown, you pass the Port angeles Boat haven and this enormous pipeline which I think is water main for the paper mill at the base of the hook, you ride through the mill complex then out onto the hook, turning around at the gate of the Coast Guard base, unless you're carrying military credentials.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/photo-44.jpg

Anyway, I'm up to a little over 50 miles on this clunker (not counting the 14 I accidentally did before I excised the fancy-schmancy 105 RD) but I'm still going to try to do a 100km in-one-day mixed surfaces kinda ride on this thing before I go back to to my skinny tired (28c) lightweights (25lbs).

non-fixie 03-15-14 09:38 AM

I am still looking for a cheap bar tape solution for my Atala when I realise this has been sitting on my desk, right in front of me, ever since @robberry made me take it off my Cycles Tourmalet. Mmmmm .....

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-DBREZQLP.jpg

turky lurkey 03-15-14 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 16579897)
I am still looking for a cheap bar tape solution for my Atala when I realise this has been sitting on my desk, right in front of me, ever since @robberry made me take it off my Cycles Tourmalet. Mmmmm .....

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-DBREZQLP.jpg

Genius

jish1969 03-15-14 05:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It was still nippy out but nice enough for a ride today. I went out to Squaw Island and gave the Sierra the muddy love that it probably hasn't seen in quite a long time. The bridge in the background is the Peace Bridge to Canada, and you can ride for quite a bit along the Black Rock canal. I keep telling myself that I did this bike up for the wife but damn it rides nice...
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=368968http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=368969http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=368970http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=368971http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=368972

non-fixie 03-15-14 06:32 PM

Build's done for now:

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-87XTHQO8.jpg

Took a short ride as well, to take some pictures:

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-6PZTRXJN.jpg

Italuminium 03-16-14 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 16580975)
Build's done for now:



Took a short ride as well, to take some pictures:

Nice! BTW, I passed Non-Fixie HQ yesterday, it was part of the 100 km loop for the Joop Zoetemelk Classic. The scenery was beautiful, but we could have done with a little less wind...

turky lurkey 03-16-14 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 16580975)
Build's done for now:

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-87XTHQO8.jpg

Took a short ride as well, to take some pictures:

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-6PZTRXJN.jpg

Nicely displayed clunker. Now did you really buy that bike for $54.83? As in you offered somebody that amount? Pretty funny.

turky lurkey 03-16-14 08:01 AM

I am submitting my clunker now, the 1976 American Flyer is ready to ride!

Total cost about $75.00

Some of the features that I believe make me a candidate for the win:
-Steel rims
-Giant stem shifters and safety levers
-lots of reflectors (some partly held on by zip ties)
-Giant speedometer
-Giant mirror
-license plate
-kickstand
-Giant spoke protector

Can't wait to do some Cat 6 racing on this bike!

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...psda3bcd2b.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps5e173a01.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps19471e51.jpg

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps815dbb7a.jpg

non-fixie 03-16-14 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turky lurkey (Post 16581810)
Nicely displayed clunker. Now did you really buy that bike for $54.83? As in you offered somebody that amount? Pretty funny.

Thanks. Yes, it would have been, but alas, nothing as frivolous as that. I offered and paid 40 euros. The funny bit was that it was advertised as "secondhand, but in excellent condition". If I hadn't been in such a hurry when I picked it up I would have left it, or at least negotiated a large discount. It could barely stand on its own wheels.

non-fixie 03-16-14 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turky lurkey (Post 16581938)

That's a mighty nice speedometer. Won't need your reading glasses with that neither. Let's see you ride it into the red. :)

kunsunoke 03-16-14 09:25 AM

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...6&d=1394983216

~$100 klunker fixed gear, built up from a really-ugly, heavily patina'ed 1984 Schwinn LeTour. With the exception of the rims, all parts are recycled, traded-for/box of junk specials or trash-picks.

It rides surprisingly well for how little it cost to build. Mass is approximately 23-25 lbs.

First five clicks were done yesterday (rode from the Borough to US222 and back).

Anyone have a nice, older/patina'ed Brooks saddle they'd like to donate? My sit bones don't like the seat.

Phil_gretz 03-16-14 09:51 AM

Funny Thought...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by turky lurkey (Post 16573970)
Next time we should have a contest where the budget is like $30.00 or something, now that would be interesting.

This has me thinking that the next challenge might be: find a curbside bike, pump up the tires and immediately embark on 100km ride by adjusting fit but not servicing. May bring $30 cash for repairs or parts to be consumed along the way. Strava segments or MapMyRide only. Shortest total elapsed time from find to completion wins.

non-fixie 03-16-14 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Italuminium (Post 16581659)
Nice! BTW, I passed Non-Fixie HQ yesterday, it was part of the 100 km loop for the Joop Zoetemelk Classic. The scenery was beautiful, but we could have done with a little less wind...

I know! I waved!

But you weren't riding your Giant, now were you? :notamused:

turky lurkey 03-16-14 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 16582166)
This has me thinking that the next challenge might be: find a curbside bike, pump up the tires and immediately embark on 100km ride by adjusting fit but not servicing. May bring $30 cash for repairs or parts to be consumed along the way. Strava segments or MapMyRide only. Shortest total elapsed time from find to completion wins.

That would be a challenge. I have actually not been able to get any free bikes yet. Though I have gotten several between $5 and $20

Italuminium 03-16-14 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 16582396)
I know! I waved!

But you weren't riding your Giant, now were you? :notamused:

Must've missed you the :) No, not one of the three Giants currently living in the bike shed, but a bike with much to fat tubes, clickety brifters and an overload of carbon. Last year was much better with proper DT shifters!

turky lurkey 03-16-14 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 16582097)
That's a mighty nice speedometer. Won't need your reading glasses with that neither. Let's see you ride it into the red. :)

The amazing thing about that speedometer is that somebody actually rode 760 miles with it on their bike. It does add a little friction to the front wheel, though probably not enough that it will be noticeable while riding. It also makes a little bit of noise. I plan to get that thing in the red this afternoon!

Italuminium 03-16-14 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turky lurkey (Post 16581938)
I am submitting my clunker now, the 1976 American Flyer is ready to ride!

Total cost about $75.00

Some of the features that I believe make me a candidate for the win:
-Steel rims
-Giant stem shifters and safety levers
-lots of reflectors (some partly held on by zip ties)
-Giant speedometer
-Giant mirror
-license plate
-kickstand
-Giant spoke protector

Can't wait to do some Cat 6 racing on this bike!


Excellent entry with all that dorktastic accessories! Man that thing is clean.

non-fixie 03-16-14 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turky lurkey (Post 16582424)
(...) I plan to get that thing in the red this afternoon!

Pics or it didn't happen!

non-fixie 03-16-14 11:58 AM

Went out for some errands this morning, had an hour to spare before lunch and used the opportunity to put a few extra miles on Lady Penelope. Apart from a small wobble in the cheap front tire - which I see it but don't feel - it's a nice and stable ride.

This challenge is quickly becoming very educational. Without the budget limitations I'd have chucked a lot of its current parts into the parts bin (Thun crank set, no-name brakes, Exage shifters) or waste container (tires, chain), and replaced them with other, nicer ones. Shimano 600 arabesque comes to mind, as does a matching set of Shimano-Mavic-SS spoked wheels, and a maybe Rolls saddle. And new tires of course. After a repaint, maybe even some Campagnolo.

The thing is, it would be a whole lot more expensive, and it would certainly look a lot better, but would it ride any better? I doubt it.

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-3GTXCS7A.jpg

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-S8EXPNDP.jpg

Daveyates 03-16-14 03:35 PM

I rode 50k on my bike but decided to give up on the idea of finishing this challenge.
The bike rode fantastic and was very comfy and felt like the other end of the spectrum to a clunker.

So to punish myself i have just picked up a clunker Lejeune folding bike from a brocante for 20 euros.
I'm going to start again and do the challenger properly this time.

How many days do we have left?

non-fixie 03-16-14 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveyates (Post 16583128)
(...) How many days do we have left?


turky lurkey 03-16-14 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 16582507)
Pics or it didn't happen!


Sadly it didn't happen yet. I just went for a short ride, I only made it about two miles before I headed back. I have a pretty bad cold or minor flu and I thought some fresh air and exercise would do me good, I guess I overestimated my energy level as I immediately felt awful (I know sounds like an excuse but its true). Actually on the way back I had a bit of a descent and managed to get up right onto the edge of the red, right about 30mph but not quite good enough.

The American Flyer is even more of a clunker than I expected! It's really something with all the special features rattling around and what not. It isn't going be easy to go fast on that thing, but one of these day's with the right hill, I imagine I will get well into red zone. I can't say that I plan on keeping that bike forever.

turky lurkey 03-16-14 07:46 PM

I posted my American Flyer clunker in the road cycling forum, under the "What road bike do you have?" thread I hope those guys like my road bike! :roflmao2::roflmao2:

link:
http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...-have-957.html

debit 03-16-14 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turky lurkey (Post 16583722)
I posted my American Flyer clunker in the road cycling forum, under the "What road bike do you have?" thread I hope those guys like my road bike! :roflmao2::roflmao2:

link:
http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...-have-957.html

:popcorn


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 AM.