Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   The most underrated components (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/934153-most-underrated-components.html)

auchencrow 02-13-14 09:45 PM

The most underrated components
 
I was wondering - What "sleepers" are still out there? Got a favorite?
Shouldn't we C&V'ers scarf them all up before they get discovered (and expensive)?

My vote goes to the Huret Challenger RD.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...2-Green15a.jpg

redneckwes 02-13-14 09:52 PM

I'm not going to say anything, I'd rather my favorite parts didn't get any more expensive!

auchencrow 02-13-14 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckwes (Post 16494529)
I'm not going to say anything, I'd rather my favorite parts didn't get any more expensive!

Not to worry - No one is looking here except your C&V buddies.

- And they're C H E A P !

thinktubes 02-13-14 10:07 PM

The body is still warm.

noglider 02-13-14 10:29 PM

I flipped a bike with those challenge derailleurs. You're right; they work great.

I'll try to think of others...

KonAaron Snake 02-13-14 10:36 PM

Deore DX - it looks great, it's durable and you can find it inexpensively on parts bikes.

gomango 02-13-14 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 16494631)
Deore DX - it looks great, it's durable and you can find it inexpensively on parts bikes.

Yes sir.

I just scored a Deore DX for my $100 build.

$5 from an incredible parts hoarder I met at our swap.

Deore is bulletproof.

Lascauxcaveman 02-13-14 10:53 PM

Most underrated components?

My legs. :)

balindamood 02-13-14 10:55 PM

Another vote for Deore DX 95% of XT, 25% of the price.

The mid-1980 Shimano Z-series. Reasonably priced, nicely finished, works very well, bullet proof.

Old Falcon branded triple front derailleurs. Work fantastic, and you could probably get them at 10 for a buck.

auchencrow 02-13-14 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 16494631)
Deore DX - it looks great, it's durable and you can find it inexpensively on parts bikes.

I'm familiar at least with the MTB stuff - and yeah, it's bomb-proof! :thumb:

Chombi 02-14-14 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auchencrow (Post 16494549)
Not to worry - No one is looking here except your C&V buddies.

- And they're C H E A P !

Uhmmmm......not giving any examples too, because........last time I checked Portland, Oregon still has internet connection....:rolleyes::D

dddd 02-14-14 02:08 AM

I'd vote for Araya steel rims, if you can find a perfect set.

I believe that these are the smoothest I've ever used in terms of braking, and not too terribly heavy.

noglider 02-14-14 02:12 AM

Not the MOST underrated, but I have a fetish for Lyotard pedals. They're not smooth, but they are quite durable. There's only one model I know of with a design flaw. It has an aluminum shaft around the spindle. But I don't have that model. I'm hoarding all the Lyotard rat trap pedals I can find. I don't even know why.

The Golden Boy 02-14-14 06:35 AM

I'm finding that a lot of the stuff I like is well regarded and priced accordingly.

Fred Smedley 02-14-14 06:53 AM

Anything tubular and freewheel in the same wheel. Hubs are worth 95% of the whole wheel if they are C-Record , Mavic 501, almost any freewheel wheelset for that matter. Specialized Flag CS's, last generation of Tricolor single pivot brakes , great performance from a single pivot with the tricolor levers. Suntour XC comp brakes and CS's. Winner branded hubs.

auchencrow 02-14-14 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Smedley (Post 16495050)
Anything tubular and freewheel in the same wheel. Hubs are worth 95% of the whole wheel if they are C-Record , Mavic 501, almost any freewheel wheelset for that matter. Specialized Flag CS's, last generation of Tricolor single pivot brakes , great performance from a single pivot with the tricolor levers. Suntour XC comp brakes and CS's. Winner branded hubs.

Good ones, Fred.

big chainring 02-14-14 07:29 AM

The most underrated components
 
Simplex Prestige derailleurs. Perform well for me. Victim of cycling myth.

auchencrow 02-14-14 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big chainring (Post 16495107)
Simplex Prestige derailleurs. Perform well for me. Victim of cycling myth.

But only the rears!
(and more especially when you upgrade the vulnerable OEM pulleys).

RobbieTunes 02-14-14 07:46 AM

Shimano 1050 6-sp indexed. Light, capable, cheap, and polished.

auchencrow 02-14-14 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 16495143)
Shimano 1050 6-sp indexed. Light, capable, cheap, and polished.

AKA "Shimano 105" Robbie? I would agree.

SJX426 02-14-14 07:55 AM

Mavic 500's are underrated but have a following. I thought they would be easy to find because they are not mentioned that much. Boy howdie did I get a surprize when I did find them. Typically they are priced the same as Campy HF hubs or more. Try to find skewers! Ha!

French bikes because of their non standard dimensions.

rootboy 02-14-14 08:21 AM

Under-rated?
These things! Just ask dddd.
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5426d895.jpg

jeirvine 02-14-14 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16494885)
Not the MOST underrated, but I have a fetish for Lyotard pedals. They're not smooth, but they are quite durable... I'm hoarding all the Lyotard rat trap pedals I can find. I don't even know why.

You and me both. I love 'em.

badger_biker 02-14-14 08:50 AM

Suntour XCD - I have a couple 6000 rear derailleurs and they have been flawless for me.

crank_addict 02-14-14 08:54 AM

For C&V, old Weinmann brake levers - cheeeeeeap prices, lightweight and they work. Comical of the market value difference vs. old Mafac (and those crazy prices for Mafac hoods...whew!).


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.