Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Calling the usual suspects, the annual Spring Cape Cod Rail Trail Ride (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/934409-calling-usual-suspects-annual-spring-cape-cod-rail-trail-ride.html)

aixaix 02-20-14 11:24 AM

I'd like to do this. Please post when you have settled on a date.
It'll be worth it to have me come. I'll bring a bike that is guaranteed to get a colorful response from Rootboy.

rootboy 02-20-14 11:27 AM

ACK! :eek:

…uh oh ….

pastorbobnlnh 02-20-14 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottRyder (Post 16512115)
My goal by July is to look like Rootboy and not cast a shadow at the beach! Here's my dietary secrets .... No breads or wheat, potatoes, no gluten, no dairy .. instead lean beef, chicken, fish with nuts, veggies, fruit, etc. And always have a young woman in attendance. :thumb:

Scott

;) Always with a young woman. For those who don't know, Scott is a real flirt when it comes to young women. :innocent:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottRyder (Post 16512123)
Who will they draft behind this year? Not us!

S

We'll need to install some sort of contraption under Rootboy's bike so he can ride sideways down the trail and we can all draft behind him this time around! :twitchy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by aixaix (Post 16512250)
I'd like to do this. Please post when you have settled on a date.
It'll be worth it to have me come. I'll bring a bike that is guaranteed to get a colorful response from Rootboy.

Errrr, a non Yankee among a bunch of Cranky Yankees--- ;) okay as long as we don't talk baseball. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rootboy (Post 16512261)
ACK! :eek:

…uh oh ….

Don't worry, I'll mediate and keep everyone in line and feeling the springtime love! :love:

jimmuller 02-20-14 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aixaix (Post 16512250)
I'd like to do this. Please post when you have settled on a date.

We had already mentioned Sat Apr 26. Pastor Bob usually has to work on Sundays, for some strange reason. Also mentioned was "late April or early May". It would be great if you could make it!
Quote:

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh (Post 16512599)
Errrr, a non Yankee among a bunch of Cranky Yankees--- ;) okay as long as we don't talk baseball. :rolleyes:

Now, Bob, surely you remember that some of us (including you, IIRC) are not Yankees. But we've managed to get along okay anyway. Well, mostly ;). And I don't recall if we ever discussed baseball. What's wrong iwth baseball anyway? The Good Book starts out "In the big inning God created the heavens and the earth..."

aixaix 02-20-14 02:41 PM

Quote:

okay as long as we don't talk baseball.
Not a problem. Although I would like to point out it was you who brought up the Yankees.

You won't mind if I channel my inner hipster, will you?

noglider 02-20-14 02:45 PM

I'm interested, too. What pace do you take? I ask in case my wife wants to join, too.

It's a long shot that we can get the time off, but I'd love to make it, if possible.

rumrunn6 02-20-14 02:47 PM

I'll be keeping an eye on you all. seems like just a few weeks ago I made a round trip run from S. Dennis to the Wellfleet General Store ... I'll be out there Fri nite/Saturday to meet my NY sister for a B-Day hike. I'll try to scope out the CCRT and report on current conditions. ya know the trails near me further North are under like 20" of snow right now ...

pastorbobnlnh 02-20-14 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aixaix (Post 16512781)
Not a problem. Although I would like to point out it was you who brought up the Yankees.

You won't mind if I channel my inner hipster, will you?

Inner hipsters are kool. :thumb: And I did mention the Yankees, my bad! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 16512774)
We had already mentioned Sat Apr 26. Pastor Bob usually has to work on Sundays, for some strange reason. Also mentioned was "late paril or early May". It would be great if you could make it!

Now, Bob, surely you remember that some of us (including you, IIRC) are not Yankees. But we've managed to get along okay anyway. Well, mostly ;). And I don't recall if we ever discussed baseball. What's wrong iwth baseball anyway? The Good Book starts out "In the big inning God created the heavens and the earth..."

Lost interest in baseball when they went on strike in the early '90s. Haven't really watched a game since. :twitchy: Would rather go riding. :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16512791)
I'm interested, too. What pace do you take? I ask in case my wife wants to join, too.

It's a long shot that we can get the time off, but I'd love to make it, if possible.

Tom, that would be great. You have to bring trade swag along. That's the only requirement! :thumb:

Not that fast. The trail is too busy to be speed demons, although we saw some on the last ride. The good news is there is really only one place you can get lost in the middle, and the round about can be a bit confusing for simpletons like myself from the mountains. Hope you can join us. Where's photogravity been lately. This sounds like a trip right up Dallas' alley.

pastorbobnlnh 02-20-14 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aixaix (Post 16512781)
Not a problem. Although I would like to point out it was you who brought up the Yankees.

You won't mind if I channel my inner hipster, will you?

Inner hipsters are kool. :thumb: And I did mention the Yankees, my bad! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 16512774)
We had already mentioned Sat Apr 26. Pastor Bob usually has to work on Sundays, for some strange reason. Also mentioned was "late paril or early May". It would be great if you could make it!

Now, Bob, surely you remember that some of us (including you, IIRC) are not Yankees. But we've managed to get along okay anyway. Well, mostly ;). And I don't recall if we ever discussed baseball. What's wrong iwth baseball anyway? The Good Book starts out "In the big inning God created the heavens and the earth..."

Lost interest in baseball when they went on strike in the early '90s. Haven't really watched a game since. :twitchy: Would rather go riding. :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16512791)
I'm interested, too. What pace do you take? I ask in case my wife wants to join, too.

It's a long shot that we can get the time off, but I'd love to make it, if possible.

Tom, that would be great. You have to bring trade swag along. That's the only requirement! :thumb:

Not that fast. The trail is too busy to be speed demons, although we saw some on the last ride. The good news is there is really only one place you can get lost in the middle, and the round about can be a bit confusing for simpletons like myself from the mountains. Hope you can join us. Where's photogravity been lately. This sounds like a trip right up Dallas' alley.

noglider 02-20-14 04:31 PM

I've always got a surplus of bike stuff. In fact, I have a box I've been throwing freewheels into, for you.

Right, rail trails are not likely to be fast. And in the last couple of years, I've discovered that I actually like riding on them!

jimmuller 02-20-14 07:09 PM

Tom, it would great if you can make it. Carol should have no trouble with the speeds, and in any case there is no need for everyone to stay bunched together. We have not generally stayed bunched up on prior rides. There are several very nice re-grouping spots, sort of required stops, like at the Chocolate Sparrow in Dennis, for example. There are no significant hills except the two bridges over Rt6, but the grade is not entirely flat either. There are a fair number of road crossings where care must be exercised, but they get further apart as you go north.

If anyone out there can make it to the Cape but can't bring a bike, I can squeeze another bike into the car. Mine are generally 58cm and adjusted for my 30" inseam. I'm willing to tweak seat height if necessary. You have your choice - high-end, middle-end, or low-end. Oh, and did I mention that they have toe clips and straps, and DT friction shifters?

top506 02-20-14 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottRyder (Post 16512123)
Who will they draft behind this year? Not us!

S

I don't care how thin you get, both of you are tall enough that I can draft under you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 16513546)
If anyone out there can make it to the Cape but can't bring a bike, I can squeeze another bike into the car. Mine are generally 58cm and adjusted for my 30" inseam. I'm willing to tweak seat height if necessary. You have your choice - high-end, middle-end, or low-end. Oh, and did I mention that they have toe clips and straps, and DT friction shifters?


Great idea, Jim. I can do the same with rides between 52 and 57cm. And I should have lots of trade bait, including the Sharon-size Miyata 1000.

April 26 seems to be the date, so I'll put in for the time off tomorrow. With all the interest from afar, this could be the best one yet!

Top

ScottRyder 02-20-14 07:49 PM

This young lass is already to kick some butts again .. from the spring CCRT ride. She's a local, watch out.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psd8020a32.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps4156317d.jpg

Scott

otg 02-20-14 09:07 PM

I can also bring a bike if someone needs one, mine are 52cm, steel, mostly 70's or early 80's, downtube shifters. I think I'll be riding my Holdsworth Mistral this year, built with a lot of parts from ScottRyder is a trade last fall.

jimmuller 02-20-14 09:26 PM

Lunch at the Wellfleet trailhead, October, 2013:
http://world.std.com/~muller/pics/CC...2013/lunch.jpg

noglider 02-20-14 09:28 PM

We should bring our clunkers.

aixaix 02-20-14 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16513917)
We should bring our clunkers.

You've seen most of my bikes, Tom. Which clunker should I bring?:)

pastorbobnlnh 02-21-14 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottRyder (Post 16511738)
Fighting the breeze last fall!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps2e16ff26.jpg

Scott

I've been looking at myself in this picture for several days and cringing. Finally showed it to Mrs. PB last night. She promised I didn't look like this any longer! :D Anyway, I've also been trying to think of a caption to put under me, and decided on; "Did a dog piss on the Michelin Man?" :p Glad I won't be mistaken for that icon this spring!

Changing the subject: I've been working with Sailor Benjamin (who has relocated back to NE, this time RI) on a purchase of hubs. I'm thinking a neglected Schwinn Super Sport frame would be my preferred frameset to use for this next build. So if any of you are hoarding a 24" one you might be interested in selling, let me know. :D

otg 02-21-14 08:28 AM

Hi Pastorbob, I've got a 24" SS in the basement. Problem is, I've owned it since 71 and am kind of attached to it. It's too big for me though. You might be able to persuade me to part with it with a trade of something nice. PM me and we can probably work something out. Here it is, it is fully functionally at the moment, but if you only want the frame, that's not a problem. (my 22 " SS fits like a glove - hint hint)

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/r...aguy/003-1.jpg
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/r...aguy/004-1.jpg

jimmuller 02-21-14 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh (Post 16514504)
"Did a dog piss on the Michelin Man?" :p

Go easy on yourself, Bob. Remember, we were all wearing about 14 layers of clothing that day! We all looked like biscuit people, except for rootboy who probably looks like a brake cable regardless of the weather.

jimmuller 02-21-14 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16513917)
We should bring our clunkers.

Clunkers will do, but be aware that the round trip is 44 miles. Efficiency is more important than speed. On the other hand, I suspect you could do 100 miles on a clunker with no trouble.

pastorbobnlnh 02-21-14 09:14 AM

otg, your Kool Lemon is almost a perfect candidate, except: :eek:
  • You are the original owner
  • It is 100% original (minus the consumables)
  • It is in great, even minty, condition
  • I'd forever feel bad about doing what I'm considering doing to such a wonderfully preserved SS

So for now, let me wait and see if I can find something more akin to the beast I started with when building Sporty. This is more of what I had in mind as my start: :p

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...kcrankside.jpg

pastorbobnlnh 02-21-14 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 16514704)
Go easy on yourself, Bob. Remember, we were all wearing about 14 layers of clothing that day! We all looked like biscuit people, except for rootboy who probably looks like a brake cable regardless of the weather.

Jim, you are being too kind. :) But loosing weight for someone like myself, honesty, as in a 12 step program, is the key to achieving the goal. Sometimes it is very much, "One day at a time." In my case, a few pounds less each week is the goal. Hopefully by the end of April, I'll be down another 25-30.

top506 02-21-14 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh (Post 16514504)
Changing the subject: I've been working with Sailor Benjamin (who has relocated back to NE, this time RI) on a purchase of hubs. I'm thinking a neglected Schwinn Super Sport frame would be my preferred frameset to use for this next build. So if any of you are hoarding a 24" one you might be interested in selling, let me know. :D

I would gladly swap you my 24" frame and fork for a 22" in similar nick.

Top

otg 02-21-14 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh (Post 16514717)
otg, your Kool Lemon is almost a perfect candidate, except: :eek:
  • You are the original owner
  • It is 100% original (minus the consumables)
  • It is in great, even minty, condition
  • I'd forever feel bad about doing what I'm considering doing to such a wonderfully preserved SS

So for now, let me wait and see if I can find something more akin to the beast I started with when building Sporty. This is more of what I had in mind as my start: :p

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...kcrankside.jpg

OK, thanks for the compliment. It really looks better in pictures than it does in person, but it is in reasonably good shape. Funny that it is too big for me, I was about 14 when I bought it. The guy at Paul's Schwinn Cyclery in Fall River Mass. just had me stand over it, if I could touch the ground with my toes I was good! I put a lot of miles on that thing over the years and rehabbed it about two years ago. I found the same bike in a smaller frame last year and built it up with Suntour parts. It's even the same color.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 PM.