Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   1972 Raliegh International (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/934500-1972-raliegh-international.html)

OTS 02-17-14 09:08 PM

Where can these be found?

Quote:

..if you have grown beyond all that "original and authentic" business, double pivot Weinmann
centerpull brakes can be made to work quietly and efficiently most simply by swapping over to
a couple of sets of these guys, which allow very nice angling and toe in adjustment.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/images/VikingGHP.jpg

If you still want the thing original, the noise warns people to watch out for you, so there's that.

jimmuller 02-17-14 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repechage (Post 16504104)
Previously the frame was owned by a member of Spinal Tap.

I was going to suggest PI but I see no reason for it other than that the wheels would be circular.

jimmuller 02-17-14 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzpuf (Post 16504508)
was not rude it was sarcasm .....you forget where you are BIKE FORUM = 99% sarcasm 1% usable information

You are wrong and this comment is insulting. You will not receive any useful information if you continue this way.
You don't go the the Oracle at Delphi for advice and start out by calling her a fraud.

Fred Smedley 02-17-14 09:50 PM

Libs lining up behind the talking points. :lol: The politicization of "Climate Change " is maligned for whoever has a financial interest, on both sides of that issue.

muzpuf 02-17-14 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 16504656)
You are wrong and this comment is insulting. You will not receive any useful information if you continue this way.
You don't go the the Oracle at Delphi for advice and start out by calling her a fraud.

lighten up jimmy boy

jimmuller 02-17-14 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Smedley (Post 16504684)
Libs lining up behind the talking points. :lol: The politicization of "Climate Change " is maligned for whoever has a financial interest, on both sides of that issue.

I've refrained from commenting on the GW issue because this is bike forums, not weather or politics forums. (There are forums on BF for that if anyone is so inclined to continue.) But there is a bike connection with GW. We do our riding in the weather! Some of us try to stay in shape and stay sane during winter by participating in winter sports such as x-c skiing. When weather doesn't cooperate we can't do what we'd like. So it matters.

I have no financial interest one way or the other in GW. I do not receive any funding for climate research. I care about the environment and about the activities I enjoy. Now, I will say that I have a Ph.D. from MIT in geophysics so I know a little bit about the science. It is not a hoax. Weather is a chaotic system so prediction is always difficult. The system itself is complex with many moving parts. We have a heat source over parts of the globe and a "cold source" over other parts. Storms and weather patterns in general are the result of thermal transfer between the two extreme regions. It will not equilibrate overnight because the "cold" reservoir is fairly large. Atmospheric changes do occur and do affect the weather. But if any result can be predicted in the short term it is that weather is likely to be more severe at times, both hot and cold. And that is a problem for any of us recreating in the great outdoors.

How many of you remember the summer of '88? That summer the temperature over most of eastern US hit 100F every day for six weeks, with no rain and no letup. Early July to mid-August, IIRC. IIRC, Europe had blisteringly hot weather that summer too. Just a few years ago we had a winter here in New England in which the high temperatures in December and January were hitting 50F almost every day. That's tough on the trees as well as on the skiers. It allows unusual insect growth. Can we blame GW for those events? Not directly, and hot and cold spells could always happen occasionally anyway. But data does suggest and theory predicts that GW is real and could have serious consequences. Since environmental improvements are a good idea anyway, why not go ahead with the ones that make sense?

I wish I was riding my bike.

Fred Smedley 02-17-14 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 16504728)
I've refrained from commenting on the GW issue because this is bike forums, not weather or politics forums. (There are forums on BF for that if anyone is so inclined to continue.) But there is a bike connection with GW. We do our riding in the weather! Some of us try to stay in shape and stay sane during winter by participating in winter sports such as x-c skiing. When weather doesn't cooperate we can't do what we'd like. So it matters.

I have no financial interest one way or the other in GW. I do not receive any funding for climate research. I care about the environment and about the activities I enjoy. Now, I will say that I have a Ph.D. from MIT in geophysics so I know a little bit about the science. It is not a hoax. Weather is a chaotic system so prediction is always difficult. The system itself is complex with many moving parts. We have a heat source over parts of the globe and a "cold source" over other parts. Storms and weather patterns in general are the result of thermal transfer between the two extreme regions. It will not equilibrate overnight because the "cold" reservoir is fairly large. Atmospheric changes do occur and do affect the weather. But if any result can be predicted in the short term it is that weather is likely to be more severe at times, both hot and cold. And that is a problem for any of us recreating in the great outdoors.

How many of you remember the summer of '88? That summer the temperature over most of eastern US hit 100F every day for six weeks, with no rain and no letup. Early July to mid-August, IIRC. IIRC, Europe had blisteringly hot weather that summer too. Just a few years ago we had a winter here in New England in which the high temperatures in December and January were hitting 50F almost every day. That's tough on the trees as well as on the skiers. It allows unusual insect growth. Can we blame GW for those events? Not directly, and hot and cold spells could always happen occasionally anyway. But data does suggest and theory predicts that GW is real and could have serious consequences. Since environmental improvements are a good idea anyway, why not go ahead with the ones that make sense?

I wish I was riding my bike.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/38...ng-is-not-real

sailorbenjamin 02-17-14 10:28 PM

The bottom bracket on my Super Course is stamped 666 but the beast was so rusty and pitted that I replaced it.
Tough to find a beast to fit a 70mm cottered BB.
Just glad it wasn't French.

jjhabbs 02-17-14 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzpuf (Post 16503517)
political ???? opinions of scientists are now tied to politics ????? what are you suggesting ?????

Agreed. It is.

jjhabbs 02-17-14 10:33 PM

Though I do not believe in Man made climate change. I do believe this isn't the forum for it. This is Bike forums C & V..

This is a happy place where I don't have to worry about such politics. I want Bike porn. That's all I want. That's what I come here for. Good old fashion Bike smutt!!!

maybe some Nervex lugs! Whooo sexy. Or maybe some Campagnolo drilled pantographed Colnago chainrings...That's XXX!!!

If im lucky someone will post a picture of a Columbine with those scrolled stainless lugs!!


Good day Bike Forums!!

chrismorg 02-17-14 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy (Post 16504221)
You should post some more pix of that bike.

was not that hard to find

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201038387848...84.m1555.l2649

3alarmer 02-18-14 12:18 AM

...those are the high dollar ones, but Performance sells a version for $8/pair.

They are called cantilever brake pads, threaded version, and you want the short ones, not the longest ones.

3alarmer 02-18-14 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzpuf (Post 16503517)
political ???? opinions of scientists are now tied to politics ????? what are you suggesting ?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzpuf (Post 16504508)
was not rude it was sarcasm .....you forget where you are BIKE FORUM = 99% sarcasm 1% usable information

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzpuf (Post 16504692)
lighten up jimmy boy

...coupla things just by way of passing Ms Puf.

First is that this particular forum tries hard to abstain from the behaviors you mention, for the reason you mention.
It's hard enough to get out any useful information in the C+V with all the conflicting legit opinions. When you add
some ******* blowing troll smoke into the mix, it becomes impossible. Besides, all these guys are crabby, and it's
not much sport to get them all riled up. Have some personal pride, please.

Second, if you check your rule book and your scorecard, you'll find that political signatures (like yours) ist verboten.


My guess is that eventually someone will run across this and have an internet come to Jesus meeting with you.


Mine is probably the only friendly reminder you will receive.

Lascauxcaveman 02-18-14 12:53 AM

TT =Trilateral + Troika

T+T. As in Trilateral Commishun. And Troika = Russian for Three, as in Hitler+Stalin+Churchill+Rooseveldt. That makes THREE (troika!) elites bent on diluting our precious bodily fluids. They did not AVOID women, yet they DENIED THEM their essence. WAKE UP Sheeples! Can't you see?

THAT PROVES GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX!!!!9!11!!

(Whoa, is it just me, or is it getting kinda hot in here?)

Lascauxcaveman 02-18-14 12:56 AM

Also long form birf sertificut, too. ;)

Kactus 02-18-14 01:03 AM

Could the moderators please close this thread.

chrismorg 02-18-14 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kactus (Post 16504967)
Could the moderators please close this thread.

why if you dont like the comments just dont come back to the thread

3alarmer 02-18-14 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrismorg (Post 16504977)
why if you dont like the comments just dont come back to the thread

......too simple.

auchencrow 02-18-14 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 16504728)
..high temperatures in December and January were hitting 50F almost every day. That's tough on the trees as well as on the skiers. It allows unusual insect growth.
Can we blame GW ? ..


Sure. Why not?
(Though a lot of scientists are blaming it on global warming). ;)

http://www.webperformancematters.com...ics/GWBush.jpg

EddyR 02-18-14 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1972 Gran Sport

auchencrow 02-18-14 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddyR (Post 16505154)
1972 Gran Sport

Just getting back on track here, does ANYone actually know what these stamped in numbers meant on ANY bike? Were they inspection numbers, batch numbers, date codes, or some other traceability code?

jimmuller 02-18-14 07:04 AM

First, I'm trying to be a sane voice here, not push a cause. I confess this post has nothing to do with markings on a Raleigh BB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Smedley (Post 16504741)

Interesting article. Of course if it turns out that GW is not real, that would be simply awesome. But this article does not prove it one way or the other any more than previous work to the contrary did. As I said earlier, it is a complicated problem.

From a scientist's standpoint, especially for myself who does not receive government funding of any sort, this is not and never has been either a "Lib" or a conservative issue. (The implication that it is a "Lib" issue is demeaning, but we'll dismiss that.) It is about knowing with reasonable certainty. Given the uncertainty, our politicians have a tough task making policy, but that's their problem.

FWIW, GW was not invented by Al Gore. Concern over possible GW goes back at least to the 1950's. The best thing politicians could do (or could have done back then) is to fund research to determine how real it is. If it tuns out that it isn't real, then great! However more data is always good.

But in the meantime we can try to make general improvements that might matter. Things like improved transportation, bikeways in addition to carways (have you commuted on your bike? I have, and will again as soon as all this global warming snow goes away :)), cleaner energy production, energy-efficient buildings and light bulbs. These are all good things to be doing anyway. I prefer riding my '73 Raleigh on roads that are not as threatening and not inhabited by exhaust-spewing vehicles. I don't know what is stamped on its BB, haven't looked in a while.

inkandsilver 02-18-14 07:54 AM

Jim, you are truly a gentleman. Also a scholar!

repechage 02-18-14 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 16505174)
have you commuted on your bike? I have, and will again as soon as all this global warming snow goes away :)), cleaner energy production, energy-efficient buildings and light bulbs. These are all good things to be doing anyway.

In review of last year I consumed 70% less gasoline than before I stated commuting by bike a few years ago. So much that by milage I need to change the oil every two years... but annually is thrifty enough. You are correct small things add up such as LED bulbs and weatherstripping.

As to the weather, I just call it the period of severe weather rather than GW. GW is vague and if it does not locally apply the argument is on deaf ears. Beyond that human's actions have altered the atmosphere pretty dramatically in a short period, the jury may be out on the verdict but there is no denial that it is different than 200 years ago, pretty fast in geological terms.
Written from Southern California where we almost went the entire month of January without rain, (some on the 31st), typically one of our wettest months. Fenders? Not around here this year.

muzpuf 02-18-14 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddyR (Post 16505154)
1972 Gran Sport



interesting looks like the same marks .....must just be a manufacturing stamp ..this looks to be clearly a international

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=364832


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 PM.