Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-14, 03:35 PM   #26
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 26,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is a good excuse to do that. It is a bad excuse for saving money. I haven't seen any cheap rims or tires in that size. On the plus side, I haven't seen any lousy rims or tires in that size, either.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 04:04 PM   #27
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo victor View Post
Oh, those are quite a nice matched set. Interestingly, they're both a much deeper blue than the either mine or Rob's (you can tell it's not just a trick of the lighting by the fact that yours have white elements to the decals where ours have black). Looks great with the white tape and light saddles.
Thanks. I just need the 57 and 54.5 cm from 1984 and I'll have a complete set .

The thing is that these don't show up very often, so when the 62 cm was offered for sale at a very reasonable price, I bought it. I liked it so much that when a few weeks later the 60 cm showed up, at half that price, I couldn't resist. Both are pretty much in original condition, including the bar tape!

I think the 1984 Competition, Corsa and Scirocco may be the best-looking bikes Raleigh ever offered: sleek, elegant and classy paint jobs.
__________________
Wikkid Wrenching Widdim #61: Shank I Sheck (try taping your bars to this one :))
non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 05:42 PM   #28
echo victor 
bicyclatte!
Thread Starter
 
echo victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
It is a good excuse to do that. It is a bad excuse for saving money. I haven't seen any cheap rims or tires in that size. On the plus side, I haven't seen any lousy rims or tires in that size, either.
Good point - the issue is that if I don't spend a bit of money, how else will I know whether 650B is right for me? I don't know of any LBS around where I could even test ride a bike with 650B rims (and, yes, then order the rims from them if I liked them). I guess that's always the issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
Thanks. I just need the 57 and 54.5 cm from 1984 and I'll have a complete set ...
'Save your proofs of purchase, and collect all 4!' I'm curious about the measurements, actually - as I measure mine (granted, maybe I'm just not that proficient) I get about 58 cm center to center and about 59 cm center to top of top tube. So is the 60 cm size being measured from center to top of the seat tube (in which case it seems like that's the size I have)?

Amazed you managed to get them in original condition. Turns out the seller I got mine from had another already, decked out in all Campy. Not sure if that was original or not, but its paint did appear to be slightly better.

[edit]Meant to ask, has anyone who's got one (or two) of these noticed any issues with the strength of the fast-back/shot-in stays as Kurt mentioned in the linked post?[/edit]
__________________
If someone can pour a Guinness with a cycle instead of a shamrock on top, I'll update my profile pic.

Last edited by echo victor; 02-27-14 at 05:45 PM.
echo victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 08:08 PM   #29
nlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 9,803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The wheels I have on the Gran Course I bought used from a forum member, so they're out there. If you want new, these seem like a good deal for your basic 650B wheels:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHEEL-PAIR-6...item3a8bbce0ff
nlerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 10:01 PM   #30
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 26,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlerner View Post
The wheels I have on the Gran Course I bought used from a forum member, so they're out there. If you want new, these seem like a good deal for your basic 650B wheels:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHEEL-PAIR-6...item3a8bbce0ff

That's really inexpensive! So tempting!
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 01:51 PM   #31
echo victor 
bicyclatte!
Thread Starter
 
echo victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlerner View Post
...these seem like a good deal for your basic 650B wheels...
Thanks very much for the tip. Now I just need to see if I can remember my ebay login info...
__________________
If someone can pour a Guinness with a cycle instead of a shamrock on top, I'll update my profile pic.
echo victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 02:21 PM   #32
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!
 
WNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arrid Zone-a
Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.
Posts: 5,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
That's really inexpensive! So tempting!
+1 Looks like a nice deal. But I wonder if the low spoke count would come back to haunt down the road. No pun intended.
Shouldn't be an issue for lightweights, like myself at 150lbs now. But loaded tourer....hmmm.
WNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 02:34 PM   #33
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 26,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
28-spoke wheels are definitely not all-purpose wheels. Maybe the seller has other versions?
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 04:32 PM   #34
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo victor View Post
'Save your proofs of purchase, and collect all 4!' I'm curious about the measurements, actually - as I measure mine (granted, maybe I'm just not that proficient) I get about 58 cm center to center and about 59 cm center to top of top tube. So is the 60 cm size being measured from center to top of the seat tube (in which case it seems like that's the size I have)?

Amazed you managed to get them in original condition. Turns out the seller I got mine from had another already, decked out in all Campy. Not sure if that was original or not, but its paint did appear to be slightly better.

[edit]Meant to ask, has anyone who's got one (or two) of these noticed any issues with the strength of the fast-back/shot-in stays as Kurt mentioned in the linked post?[/edit]
I'm not sure I actually measured them or just assumed the brochure was correct. Anyhow, the size is generally measured C-T, i.e. from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube (except in Italy, where center-to-center is common).

No seat stay strength issues.
__________________
Wikkid Wrenching Widdim #61: Shank I Sheck (try taping your bars to this one :))
non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:04 AM.