Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    The Brutally Handsome Sizzle-Chest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Siberia
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Mystery Touring Frame: Campagnolo and Reynolds 531?

    I just picked up a mysterious touring bike and was hoping someone might have some ideas what it is.

    First of all, it has Campagnolo dropouts and fork tips, but frame decals that say Reynolds 501. I highly suspect the frame has been repainted because it looks like a thick, sloppy powder coat, so I'm wondering if someone just used some old 501 decals. Can anyone recall a touring frame made from 501 with Campagnolo dropouts?

    Another clue is that the bottom bracket shell has the number 11 stamped on it. The "headbadge" appears to be painted on so it's not much help. And the components are all over the map, from a swaged Sugino crankset, to Mafac cantilever brakes and 600 wheelset.

    Any guesses?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sizzle-Chest; 02-21-14 at 06:40 PM.
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alta California
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is one big brake bridge!

  3. #3
    Senior Member 3speedslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    My Bikes
    A few
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size tires does it fit ?
    "Waiting for the crash"

  4. #4
    Stop reading my posts! unworthy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8,263
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting...no idea at this point but the brake bridge (with mounting points for rack?) and the "boxed" canti bosses all seem like custom touches. I believe those are BCM lugs, but could use some clear detail pix...interesting forkcrown too. Most 501 was snapped up by Peugeot and Trek, if that decal is true (not betting on it) I don't think it's either of those marques.
    interesting...what's the BB threading and seat post dia.?

  5. #5
    The Brutally Handsome Sizzle-Chest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Siberia
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juvela View Post
    that is one big brake bridge!
    Yeah, the seatstays are rather bulky as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3speedslow View Post
    What size tires does it fit ?
    700c

    Quote Originally Posted by unworthy1 View Post
    interesting...no idea at this point but the brake bridge (with mounting points for rack?) and the "boxed" canti bosses all seem like custom touches. I believe those are BCM lugs, but could use some clear detail pix...interesting forkcrown too. Most 501 was snapped up by Peugeot and Trek, if that decal is true (not betting on it) I don't think it's either of those marques.
    interesting...what's the BB threading and seat post dia.?
    My digital caliper is out of batteries so I can't check seatpost diameter right now but I can check on BB threading in a bit. I don't believe it's a Trek as their name was typically pantographed on the bb shell and/or seatstay ends. I'm not very familiar with Peugeot but I haven't seen one with downtube cable stops like these. Perhaps these shots of the lugs will be more revealing? I also just noticed the headset is a Stronglight if that helps.

    The lugs look a bit like a couple Gitane frames I've owned, any chance that's what it is? I guess they had more detailed serial numbers now that I think about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

  6. #6
    Senior Member 3speedslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    My Bikes
    A few
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the BB I see some writing that will be the makers name. I have seen them before, I just can't remember the name. Too late to go out to the shed. BB should be standard. If you pull the seatpost it will tell you what size it is, if it can be read.

    No mistaking the brakes though, I would love to find some MAFAC canti's.
    "Waiting for the crash"

  7. #7
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,626
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juvela View Post
    that is one big brake bridge!
    It just looks like a piece of the seat stay salvaged from trimming them to length.

  8. #8
    The Brutally Handsome Sizzle-Chest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Siberia
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3speedslow View Post
    Looking at the BB I see some writing that will be the makers name. I have seen them before, I just can't remember the name. Too late to go out to the shed. BB should be standard. If you pull the seatpost it will tell you what size it is, if it can be read.

    No mistaking the brakes though, I would love to find some MAFAC canti's.
    BB is a Hatta, hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out!
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

  9. #9
    The Brutally Handsome Sizzle-Chest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Siberia
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More clues!

    I unstuck the seatpost and it's 27.0

    The bottom bracket is standard 68mm

    The cable guides are also Campagnolo

    I noticed there's only one set of bottle bosses, located on the downtube. Hardly standard for even an entry level touring frame, much less something potentially custom. Could this be a cyclocross frame?
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Waukesha WI
    My Bikes
    1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra w/ Drop Bars
    Posts
    3,542
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Pity The Fool that doesn't dig the brake bridge on my signature B.A. Baracus Touring Machine.


    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

  11. #11
    Stop reading my posts! unworthy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8,263
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stranger and stranger...Those are indeed BCM (Bocama) lugs, yes Gitane used them but so did many others. The other details aren't ringing any bells, but I doubt it's a CX frame (you can measure the BB height and compare, touring will be lower than standard road, CX will be higher). A lot of it makes it smell like it might be French (such as the lugs, the HS and so on) but the Hatta BB points to either a Japanese frame, or ...wait for the bombshell...

    something from Benelux. I'm going to guess Belgium or Netherlands, but still no name I can supply.

    The 27.0 seatpost also supports it not being FR, since that wouldn't be a size found with metric tubing...it could be Reynolds (plain gauge, 531 or perhaps 501) but could be something Japanese (Tange or Ishiwata), too.

    Looking twice: the forkblades look like "Reynolds" oval, and the fork crown is either Vagner or Nervex (I can't remember which without looking it up).
    Last edited by unworthy1; 02-21-14 at 09:47 AM.

  12. #12
    The Brutally Handsome Sizzle-Chest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Siberia
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unworthy1 View Post
    stranger and stranger...Those are indeed BCM (Bocama) lugs, yes Gitane used them but so did many others. The other details aren't ringing any bells, but I doubt it's a CX frame (you can measure the BB height and compare, touring will be lower than standard road, CX will be higher). A lot of it makes it smell like it might be French (such as the lugs, the HS and so on) but the Hatta BB points to either a Japanese frame, or ...wait for the bombshell...

    something from Benelux. I'm going to guess Belgium or Netherlands, but still no name I can supply.

    The 27.0 seatpost also supports it not being FR, since that wouldn't be a size found with metric tubing...it could be Reynolds (plain gauge, 531 or perhaps 501) but could be something Japanese (Tange or Ishiwata), too.

    Looking twice: the forkblades look like "Reynolds" oval, and the fork crown is either Vagner or Nervex (I can't remember which without looking it up).
    Just measured the BB drop, it's in the low 60's which is indicative of a cross frame. A touring frame would typically be in the low 70's. Also, the chainstays are about an inch shorter than most touring frames and the fork looks less raked than the typical touring frame. One more thing, the seat tube is 53cm but the top tube is 56cm! That's extremely aggressive for a touring frame. I could be wrong about all that, but for the sake of argument let's just say it's a cross frame, that would further support a European origin.
    Last edited by Sizzle-Chest; 02-21-14 at 10:31 AM.
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

  13. #13
    The Brutally Handsome Sizzle-Chest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Siberia
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another curveball: the stronglight headset and steerer are standard, but the fork threads are filed flat French style. Crazy!
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

  14. #14
    Senior Member 3speedslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    My Bikes
    A few
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hatta name rings a bell. I pulled one off of a Canadian built 90' Raleigh Montage. Maybe this is a Canadian marque ?
    "Waiting for the crash"

  15. #15
    The Brutally Handsome Sizzle-Chest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Siberia
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3speedslow View Post
    The Hatta name rings a bell. I pulled one off of a Canadian built 90' Raleigh Montage. Maybe this is a Canadian marque ?
    Cool, I'll try some searches. I just pulled the fork and under the paint found the numbers 531, so now I can say for certain the decals are incorrect.
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

  16. #16
    Stop reading my posts! unworthy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8,263
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm half convinced that it's a CX frame
    and even tho the filed flat thing is more typical of French, I have seen a number of other forks from England treated like that, I bet they did it elsewhere, too.
    They loved the Hatta brand in Benelux...if it had a Hatta Swan HS I'd say it's practically a 100% clinch for a Dutch or Belgian bike...but the Hatta BBs were a little more widely used.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    French? Dutch maybe?

  18. #18
    Senior Member 3speedslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    My Bikes
    A few
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go see if I find that BB on any of my Superia's.
    "Waiting for the crash"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •