Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Junior Member magnety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Upgrading Regina Oro Freewheel

    Hi all,

    My vintage lightweight bicycle has Regina Oro 5 ring freewheel which is malfunctioning due to bad service.
    I have to replace it.
    Which brand model would be considered an upgrade?

    more info, questions:
    - It's a 1977 Swiss Mondia bike, so a period correct and with regional affinity brand would be better
    - I can replace exact same freewheel but some say its not a freewheel to seek after to replace though I was happy with it providing smooth ride.
    - Freewheel is out of order because they did not use correct key to dismantle and some ballbearing is possibly lost. Can it be fixed or will I throw it away?

    thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member rootboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sand Spit East
    Posts
    12,731
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Send the Oro to PastorBob. He can make it good as new for you. Well worth saving.

    EDIT: IMO. (not to everyone's taste, I know

    ? Did whoever "serviced" it destroy the notches on the body by using the wrong tool removing it?
    Last edited by rootboy; 03-12-14 at 07:10 AM.

  3. #3
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,340
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo SOLd, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis SOLD, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti SOLD, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe SOLD, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  4. #4
    Freewheel Medic pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trying to Ride in the NH Mountains!
    My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Posts
    9,151
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RB & BG, thanks for the endorsement!

    magnety,

    Lately I've serviced about dozen Regina Oro, Corsa, etc., 5 speed freewheels. I've even transplanted inner bodies in order to replace the botched up two notch removal slots which prevent easy removal, so I'm doubtful your Oro is beyond repair and ready for the trash. A missing bearing or two or three, or even 6 should not cause a Regina malfunction. A misplaced pawl on the other hand, will lock the Regina in place, preventing it from spinning, and this could very well be your issue.

    The pawls on the 5 speed Regina freewheels barely stay in place. There's a small hole which holds the pivot point on one side, and the pawl fits loosely into this.




    While this particular model uses a brass leaf spring to "push" the pawl open and engage the teeth, older models used a brass wire which fits into a thin slot in the back of the pawl. In either case, holding the pawls closed, with the bearings greased and in place, for the final assembly is a very delicate procedure. One slip and pawl is out of place. At this time you could very easily dislodge the pawl, but successfully mate the inner and outer bodies and finish assembly. However, the pawl would lock the two halves together and the freewheel would not work.



    I should also mention I've had great (but at times varied) success in polishing Oro cogs. Below is a stack of cogs after polishing before they were mounted.



    This is what they looked like before:

    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

    Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member rootboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sand Spit East
    Posts
    12,731
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bob's yer …..guy.

    Save that old Regina. Some here scoff at using period freewheels, especially since new ones that perform a bit better are cheap and plentiful. But I kind of feel the way about Reginas and Everests, etc., as I do about other parts from the era. Worth saving if they're not worn out and all trashed.

  6. #6
    Junior Member magnety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
    ? Did whoever "serviced" it destroy the notches on the body by using the wrong tool removing it?
    Hi rootboy, yes I really got some "service!" even paid for it : ) . was not a planned service, long sad story.
    First one destroyed notches with some tool. second was able to remove it ring by ring then reassambling. but now it sometimes acts like "fixie" and you hardly ever hear freewheel sound when you do not pedal.

  7. #7
    Junior Member magnety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Pastorbob for your detailed help.
    I am afraid I can not figure out myself that technical issues so I would send it to you anyway.
    Have to remove it first though, with someone who got the suitable tool!

  8. #8
    Freewheel Medic pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trying to Ride in the NH Mountains!
    My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Posts
    9,151
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnety View Post
    Thank you Pastorbob for your detailed help.
    I am afraid I can not figure out myself that technical issues so I would send it to you anyway.
    Have to remove it first though, with someone who got the suitable tool!
    Where are you located?

    Also sounds as if it could be over greased. In my experience an old Regina 5 speed always "clicks" and can be heard. But I'm still guessing they let one of the pawls slip loose as they put it back together.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

    Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    15,358
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
    Bob's yer …..guy.

    Save that old Regina. Some here scoff at using period freewheels, especially since new ones that perform a bit better are cheap and plentiful. But I kind of feel the way about Reginas and Everests, etc., as I do about other parts from the era. Worth saving if they're not worn out and all trashed.
    My Reginas are saved.....in a drawer while I run better-shifting Shimanos.

  10. #10
    Ding! Bandera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    1,750
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Bois View Post
    My Reginas are saved.....in a drawer while I run better-shifting Shimanos.
    Amen ( sorry Pastor ),

    Any vintage Suntour or Shimano FW is far better in any performance category than a Regina, especially when one needs to pull & replace.

    "Back when" we gleefully dumped Regina chains & FWs for Winners & 600s parried w/ Sedisport chains which shifted better, lasted longer and cost less.

    "Period correct", save it for static display.

    -Bandera
    '74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

  11. #11
    Freewheel Medic pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trying to Ride in the NH Mountains!
    My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Posts
    9,151
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Bois View Post
    My Reginas are saved.....in a drawer while I run better-shifting Shimanos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
    Amen ( sorry Pastor ),

    Any vintage Suntour or Shimano FW is far better in any performance category than a Regina, especially when one needs to pull & replace.

    "Back when" we gleefully dumped Regina chains & FWs for Winners & 600s parried w/ Sedisport chains which shifted better, lasted longer and cost less.

    "Period correct", save it for static display.

    -Bandera
    You are missing the point. The OP is not interested in a better shifting freewheel even though he uses the word "upgrade." Certainly a Shimano or any of the modern freewheels with ramps and carved teeth would shift better. Ultimately he is wanting to repair his Regina freewheel so it will work correctly, which someone botched up for him.

    How about offering up your Regina freewheels for sale at a reasonable price? Reginas sitting in a drawer collecting dust and while their grease hardens are not doing you any good. Why keep something you've deemed as inferior which other interested enthusiasts would like to possess?
    Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 03-12-14 at 08:01 PM.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

    Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

  12. #12
    Ding! Bandera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    1,750
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
    Why keep something you've deemed as inferior which other interested enthusiasts would like to possess?
    Dumped is what I did decades ago w/ no provision for future collectors/enthusiasts of lousy technology.

    Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa,

    -Bandera
    '74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

  13. #13
    Senior Member rootboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sand Spit East
    Posts
    12,731
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am blissfully ignorant. Regina freewheels always worked great for me.

    A bike with full shimano drive train undoubtedly shifts and runs better than my old bikes.
    But it doesn't interest me.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you kidding? Just about anything would be considered an upgrade. Regino Oro freewheels were considered desirable on Italian racing bicycles because they were ... Italian. About the only thing that would be a downgrade would be an Atom freewheel (as for example, one of my Atoms literally fell off the back hub and began freewheeling in both directions).

    Defiant Freewheels, 7, 6, and 5 speeds

    I recommend that you remove and save the Regina Oro 5-speed for display and get a dura ace / shimano 600 clone, an IRD Defiant freewheel, with the twist-tooth profile. They aren't cheap, but my (actual dura-ace) freewheel is the best freewheel I have ever shifted, and I hate shimano parts!

  15. #15
    Senior Member rootboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sand Spit East
    Posts
    12,731
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your opinion. I'm fine, thanks. Owning vintage bikes, for me, is more than about performance only.
    Used Regina freewheels 40 years ago. Still do. And Atoms, too. And Caimi, too.
    Put a Shimano freewheel on an early 60's Frejus?
    No, thank you.

    I do have one Sun Tour freewheel, however.
    Last edited by rootboy; 03-13-14 at 05:52 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member iab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Posts
    7,079
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
    Owning vintage bikes, for me, is more than about performance only.
    Imo, owning vintage bikes is nothing about performance.

  17. #17
    Senior Member rootboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sand Spit East
    Posts
    12,731
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Certainly very low on the list for me. If on the list at all.
    At my age, my bikes can out-perform me.

  18. #18
    Junior Member magnety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
    Where are you located?

    Also sounds as if it could be over greased. In my experience an old Regina 5 speed always "clicks" and can be heard. But I'm still guessing they let one of the pawls slip loose as they put it back together.
    Hi again Bob, I am in Istanbul so shipping costs with service fee may sum up more than buying one other from ebay possibly.
    My plan is; I will make it removed with right tool here in an old shop (owner does not provide fixing wheels).
    then tell your explanations to a mechanic friend who could figure out how to fix it.
    if he can not succed then I may buy another one and send broken frewheels to you.
    even friends got some atoms lying around because thought to be "can not fixed".

  19. #19
    Junior Member magnety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
    I am blissfully ignorant. Regina freewheels always worked great for me.

    A bike with full shimano drive train undoubtedly shifts and runs better than my old bikes.
    But it doesn't interest me.
    Actually I was very happy with it too.
    Crank is Sugino Maxy, hub is Campagnolo Record, derailleur is Suntour V Luxe, Do not know the chain for now but they all worked very well together.
    My concern was It's Swiss bike full of different brand configuration. I can not figure out which were originally put at factory. There is not enough data on web.
    So maybe as I may have to change the freewheel I can consider other brand model from same era. If it was not broken I did not care for an upgrade.

  20. #20
    Junior Member magnety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
    Amen ( sorry Pastor ),

    Any vintage Suntour or Shimano FW is far better in any performance category than a Regina, especially when one needs to pull & replace.
    -Bandera
    Hi Bandera, any particular Suntour FW model from that days? My derailleur is Suntour maybe they can make a good pair.

  21. #21
    Ding! Bandera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    1,750
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnety View Post
    Hi Bandera, any particular Suntour FW model from that days? My derailleur is Suntour maybe they can make a good pair.
    The original Suntour has gone out of business. Vintage NOS is out there but can command some high prices for the basic "Perfect" and gold "Pro Compe" 5spd models as well as the "Winner" 6spd. All good kit "back when".

    Here's an excellent overview by Sheldon Brown: http://sheldonbrown.com/suntour.html

    My personal preference changed to Shimano's offerings in 600 & DA models FW, same NOS price issue.

    systemBuilder's recommendation of the modern Defiant FW is a good one, paired w/ a SRAM chain good to go for reasonable $.
    Drivetrain components are wearable & replaceable, get the gear range you require & proceed.

    -Bandera
    '74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

  22. #22
    Senior Member rootboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sand Spit East
    Posts
    12,731
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the only caution, might be, ….try to make sure the hub is not French threaded. Doubtful on a Mondia of that vintage, but possible.

  23. #23
    Freewheel Medic pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trying to Ride in the NH Mountains!
    My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Posts
    9,151
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnety View Post
    Hi again Bob, I am in Istanbul so shipping costs with service fee may sum up more than buying one other from ebay possibly.
    My plan is; I will make it removed with right tool here in an old shop (owner does not provide fixing wheels).
    then tell your explanations to a mechanic friend who could figure out how to fix it.
    if he can not succed then I may buy another one and send broken frewheels to you.
    even friends got some atoms lying around because thought to be "can not fixed".
    Magnety,

    Beautiful city you live in! I visited Turkey for two weeks in 2005 for the total eclipse of the sun on the Mediterranean coast. We then toured the country and finished in Istanbul. It was a wonderful trip and I hope to return some day.

    Yes, the cost might be prohibitive. Shipping back to Turkey will probably cost $25+ USD (depending on insurance). My normal charge without shipping is $19. When I send these back to international locations I declare them as "gifts" (since there is no box to check for "repair services"). I believe that avoids any customs fees since they are under $400 in value and this is not the purchase of a product.

    Another option is for a trade. If you plan to send me your broken ones, I could send you a Regina that I have cleaned and serviced and is ready to install. I just need to know the tooth counts on your current Regina cogs and I'll do my best to match it or build it with gearing you'd prefer. So keep this in mind. You can contact me via email on my website.

    Quote Originally Posted by magnety View Post
    Actually I was very happy with it too.
    Crank is Sugino Maxy, hub is Campagnolo Record, derailleur is Suntour V Luxe, Do not know the chain for now but they all worked very well together.
    My concern was It's Swiss bike full of different brand configuration. I can not figure out which were originally put at factory. There is not enough data on web.
    So maybe as I may have to change the freewheel I can consider other brand model from same era. If it was not broken I did not care for an upgrade.
    That is a mix of parts from different companies. Is the front derailleur Suntour as well?

    Quote Originally Posted by systemBuilder View Post
    Are you kidding? Just about anything would be considered an upgrade. Regino Oro freewheels were considered desirable on Italian racing bicycles because they were ... Italian. About the only thing that would be a downgrade would be an Atom freewheel (as for example, one of my Atoms literally fell off the back hub and began freewheeling in both directions).

    Defiant Freewheels, 7, 6, and 5 speeds

    I recommend that you remove and save the Regina Oro 5-speed for display and get a dura ace / shimano 600 clone, an IRD Defiant freewheel, with the twist-tooth profile. They aren't cheap, but my (actual dura-ace) freewheel is the best freewheel I have ever shifted, and I hate shimano parts!
    While I've only had one IRD freewheel pass through my hands, as best I could tell, it was not serviceable. No matter how hard I tried I could not get the top cog to break loose, and IIRC, the lockring and the cog had to come off in order to remove the retaining ring/top bearing race. While the IRD was basically new, it was binding and not running smoothly.

    I'm not saying all IRD freewheels run rough, just that this one would not come apart in order for me to take a look and possibly solve its problems.

    Considering magnety lives in Istanbul, his least expensive route would probably be to find a Shimano or Sunrace five speed at a LBS or in country mail order. Isn't Turkey now a member of the EU? Can't you order from an EU country without customs taxes?

    Chasing down a 5 speed Dura Ace or 600 freewheel can also be pricey! 6 speeds are significantly more abundant. The other challenge could be gearing. Most of the DAs and 600s I've run across in 5 or 6 speed, were mostly performance geared, so something like 13 or 14 to 19 or 23.
    Quote Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
    Certainly very low on the list for me. If on the list at all.
    At my age, my bikes can out-perform me.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

    Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

  24. #24
    Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio / Phoenix AZ
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Posts
    1,243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rootboy View Post
    At my age, my bikes can out-perform me.
    LOL!!! I think I may borrow this as my new signature line! (with permission and/or credit to the author of course )
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

  25. #25
    Junior Member magnety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
    Magnety,

    Beautiful city you live in! I visited Turkey for two weeks in 2005 for the total eclipse of the sun on the Mediterranean coast. We then toured the country and finished in Istanbul. It was a wonderful trip and I hope to return some day.
    Glad you liked here, so you've got your version of TUR TUR 2014 - About
    You should contact me if you do again.


    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
    That is a mix of parts from different companies. Is the front derailleur Suntour as well?
    Yes front is Suntour, no problem on that. Sugino crank is also default item I guess from other Mondias. At some time companies used what they have in stock or got in bulk buy cheap I guess. But then again some little parts are Campagnolo which makes me wonder if someone made my bike donor. [/QUOTE]



    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
    Considering magnety lives in Istanbul, his least expensive route would probably be to find a Shimano or Sunrace five speed at a LBS or in country mail order. Isn't Turkey now a member of the EU? Can't you order from an EU country without customs taxes?
    Best solution if I will have to buy will be from ebay UK or DE. Also I am sure will be in contact with you about Reginas, Atoms. [/QUOTE]

    thank you all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •