Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek Verve 3
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Identifying My First "Adult" Bike

    Around 1976, I bought my first "adult bike" with money I had saved from my paper route. It was a 10-speed road bike that I purchased from J.C. Penny's for $119 (if I remember correctly). It was one of the first bike's with disk brakes. I rode it until it was stolen in the early eighties. That is all I can remember.

    Does anyone have any idea what the brand and model might be for this bike.

    Thanks
    Mark

  2. #2
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    8,397
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    J. C. Penny, Like Sears and other stores tended to have their own brands of bicycles.

    Your best bet to identify it would be to search online for old J. C. Penny's catalogs... I know I found a friend's old Sears bike that away.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #3
    Senior Member dweenk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    My Bikes
    1971 Fuji Finest, Royale, S-10-S, 1976 Motobecane Mirage, 1989 Trek 330, 1100, 1970 Raleigh Sport, and more
    Posts
    1,425
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtuttle04 View Post
    Around 1976, I bought my first "adult bike" with money I had saved from my paper route. It was a 10-speed road bike that I purchased from J.C. Penny's for $119 (if I remember correctly). It was one of the first bike's with disk brakes. I rode it until it was stolen in the early eighties. That is all I can remember.

    Does anyone have any idea what the brand and model might be for this bike.

    Thanks


    Mark
    Did it look anything like this photo?

  4. #4
    Senior Member PatTheSlat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Youngstown, OH
    My Bikes
    '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it have been Sears rather than JC Penny?

    They had the disc brake bike in 1980: sears disc.jpg

    They also had the even goofier hydraulic brake bike in 1975: SearsC1975_Page421.jpg

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    My Bikes
    Fillet-brazed Schwinns
    Posts
    1,718
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe JC Penny was one of the first to offer a bike (made by Huffman) with the Shimano disc brake in the '70s. You can see the disc brake bikes in the 1975 "Great America Bicycle Tour": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k10233DdFi0

    Here is another video showing one of these bikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqqa0sg9HNo

    A close-up of the Shimano disc brake can be seen here: 2002 Disc Brake Up Close | The Sprocket Podcast

  6. #6
    Cyclist
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    1984 Univega Specialissima, 1988 Schwinn Prelude, 1976 Centurion Super LeMans 3 Speed IGH
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of these JC Penney disc brake bikes have popped up on CL over the years. Usually brown. I don't think they had any more identification than "JC Penney" downtube graphics.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek Verve 3
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dweenk View Post
    Did it look anything like this photo?
    Other than the color, that is pretty close to what it looked like.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek Verve 3
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatTheSlat View Post
    Could it have been Sears rather than JC Penny?

    They had the disc brake bike in 1980: sears disc.jpg

    They also had the even goofier hydraulic brake bike in 1975: SearsC1975_Page421.jpg
    Definately Penny's. I remember walking through the door with my first $100 dollar bill in my wallet. It didn't spend very long in my wallet through, just long enough to get from the savings and loan to Penny's.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek Verve 3
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metacortex View Post
    I believe JC Penny was one of the first to offer a bike (made by Huffman) with the Shimano disc brake in the '70s. You can see the disc brake bikes in the 1975 "Great America Bicycle Tour": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k10233DdFi0

    Here is another video showing one of these bikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqqa0sg9HNo

    A close-up of the Shimano disc brake can be seen here: 2002 Disc Brake Up Close | The Sprocket Podcast
    Thanks for the great video. The second video is probably the bike I owned.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek Verve 3
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkat View Post
    A couple of these JC Penney disc brake bikes have popped up on CL over the years. Usually brown. I don't think they had any more identification than "JC Penney" downtube graphics.
    I will have to keep an eye on Craig's List. My bike was brown.

  11. #11
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue, 87 Cimarron, 14 frame school custom, 73 Paramount
    Posts
    19,962
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    +1 Its a Huffy, rebranded as J C Penney.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •