Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Bianchi San Jose, Old Japanese Fixie
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which is Better?

    Hi all,

    So, I was planning on doing a build, but decided to buy a bike and do the build slowly on the side. I wasn't sure if this should be posted in this section because of the age of the bikes or not (How old is classic?)

    I have found two bikes that I like, and would like input.

    LeMond Zurich '98 53cm
    OR
    earley90"s Ciocc

    I know they are both different in price, but, 100 or so really isn't that much of a difference if one bike is vastly better.

    What do you guys think?

    Thanks in advance!

    Edit: I got an email on the Ciocc, it is 54cm. It also has a small ding in the top tube, and some small chips. Price is negotiable.

    I have a 32" inseam.
    Last edited by RamAlaRag; 03-16-14 at 03:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zazenzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    968
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamAlaRag View Post
    Hi all,

    Edit: I got an email on the Ciocc, it is 54cm. It also has a small ding in the top tube, and some small chips. Price is negotiable.

    I have a 32" inseam.
    they're both nice bikes, but if that's the case, i wouldnt touch the ciocc. im sure its still rideable but dents/dings in tubing cannot be easily repaired.

    is the lemond a repaint?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Bianchi San Jose, Old Japanese Fixie
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zazenzach View Post
    they're both nice bikes, but if that's the case, i wouldnt touch the ciocc. im sure its still rideable but dents/dings in tubing cannot be easily repaired.

    is the lemond a repaint?
    Texting the seller to ask that. I was worried it was a fake or something due to the no decals.

    I was thinking the Ciocc is probably a no-go.

  4. #4
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    19,488
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd pass on that Lemond. Look at those shifters, missing the head covers. Beat to crap with a full retail price.

    When what I can see is beat to crap, I assume what I can't see will be worse.

    $600 should be pristine, original paint, and ready to ride.

    Keep looking.

    Stem too high, but this is a pretty decent bike. It has a Columbus tenax frame.

    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/4374675058.html

    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/4372709625.html

    Fork might be a replacement on this one, inspect carefully:
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/4377959170.html
    Last edited by wrk101; 03-16-14 at 04:17 PM.
    See some of my bikes on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BillsVintageSteelBikes

    Or visit my finished bikes flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/billssteelbikes/

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Bianchi San Jose, Old Japanese Fixie
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
    I'd pass on that Lemond. Look at those shifters, missing the head covers. Beat to crap with a full retail price.

    When what I can see is beat to crap, I assume what I can't see will be worse.

    $600 should be pristine, original paint, and ready to ride.

    Keep looking.
    You're right, at closer look it looks pretty beat up.

    What about something like this? I am waiting for a size confirmation. But, would I regret the touring geometry? I ride some pretty long distance rides, but I would try and use it for some spirited group rides as well. Great Bianchi street bike!

    Thanks.

    Edit: Just saw your edit. I like that Trek. As well as the Schwinn, the Schwinn is a touring bike, right? That ties into my question earlier. Also, the Motobecane is okay, looks a little tall.

    Thanks for you help.
    Last edited by RamAlaRag; 03-16-14 at 04:29 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Bianchi San Jose, Old Japanese Fixie
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The LeMond is not a repaint, the decals were just removed.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.
    Posts
    1,724
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Bianchi so far, but I like touring geometry, in general. Probably a little heavier and slower than the other two? It looks super clean, even if it does have hideous bar tape. If I were in your place, and had the time, I'd go test ride as many of these as I could, just to get a feel for what feels good.
    ● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1972 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte ● 1982 Motobecane Jubile Sport ● 1983 Nishiki Landau ● 1984 Peugeot PH10LE ● 1984 Bianchi Limited ● 1985 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Trek 600 ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1985 Raleigh Elkhorn ● 1986 Univega Nuovo Sport ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ● And a Bike to Be Named Later ●

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Bianchi San Jose, Old Japanese Fixie
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman View Post
    I like the Bianchi so far, but I like touring geometry, in general. Probably a little heavier and slower than the other two? It looks super clean, even if it does have hideous bar tape. If I were in your place, and had the time, I'd go test ride as many of these as I could, just to get a feel for what feels good.
    Thanks for chiming in. I will have to ride as many as possible. I don't get finished with finals (school) until Wednesday, so I will probably start shopping Wednesday afternoon. Thanks for your input.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Bianchi San Jose, Old Japanese Fixie
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading about Fuji's, components aren't great. But, basically brand new, and more aggressive geo.

    I really need to get out there and ride some of these. The touring geometry appeals because I like distance, but the cross appeals because it is more aggressive.

    52cm Fuji Cross 3.0 (NEW)

    This is no longer C&V...
    Last edited by RamAlaRag; 03-16-14 at 05:04 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    15,499
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of working in a shoe store. I don't think the constant bringing up of bike after bike for our opinion is going to help much. Sooner or later, you're going to have to listen to yourself and take the plunge. We can offer the advice, but you really need to know 2 things:
    A-The size of bike you want. Perhaps the bike you are riding can be of assistance.
    B-What you don't want, in a broad sense, and what you do want, in a narrow sense.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV.

    1982 Lotus Classique
    1987 D'Arienzo (Basso) SLX
    1995 Hot Tubes TT
    2006 Cinelli XLR8R-2
    2008 BMC Roadracer SL01
    2011 Eddy Merckx EMX3
    2014 Wraith Hustle

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Bianchi San Jose, Old Japanese Fixie
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
    This reminds me of working in a shoe store. I don't think the constant bringing up of bike after bike for our opinion is going to help much. Sooner or later, you're going to have to listen to yourself and take the plunge. We can offer the advice, but you really need to know 2 things:
    A-The size of bike you want. Perhaps the bike you are riding can be of assistance.
    B-What you don't want, in a broad sense, and what you do want, in a narrow sense.
    I agree, and I really hope I don't annoy anyone by doing so.

    I am just a little unsure on what I really want, and that is why I ask for opinions.

    It will ultimately come down to me, and I will have to get out and start riding some of these.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,512
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to look at the dent on the Ciocc. The fact that the seller did not image it is a worry, but dented top tubes rarely fail, but other things can get damaged. Not telling until you see. Of those two, the LeMond and the Ciocc both will probably have very different top tube lengths. One might fit you better than the other while still keeping a 10-11 cm stem. But of course inseam is only one measure and that is just not enough to decide on a bike from.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The LEmond looks older than 98 judging by the shape of the shifters and the lack of pedals --- i would expect it to need a full overhaul unless you got lucky ------

    The Ciocc is a moderate collectible just based on the brand alone, -- that said, its probably a more solid buy than the re-badged Trek , but the fit is the most important thing --- if either are too big or too small, it doesnt matter, they both are better off for someone else


    But if we were to just take an imaginary boxing match of a Ciocc vs a Lemond, -- the Ciocc wins in a decision


    edit - crap, i just looked at your links -- the seller wants $600 for that ugly and beat to hell Lemond? --- heck with him , buy the Ciocc and ride happy ------ that Bianchi for 4 bills does not l look bad either

  14. #14
    Senior Member catonec's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    burlington VT.
    Posts
    2,308
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of the bunch Id look at the ciocc first.

    a small ding in the tube probably isnt an issue.

    the lemond looks janky
    2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
    1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Bianchi San Jose, Old Japanese Fixie
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
    The LEmond looks older than 98 judging by the shape of the shifters and the lack of pedals --- i would expect it to need a full overhaul unless you got lucky ------

    The Ciocc is a moderate collectible just based on the brand alone, -- that said, its probably a more solid buy than the re-badged Trek , but the fit is the most important thing --- if either are too big or too small, it doesnt matter, they both are better off for someone else


    But if we were to just take an imaginary boxing match of a Ciocc vs a Lemond, -- the Ciocc wins in a decision


    edit - crap, i just looked at your links -- the seller wants $600 for that ugly and beat to hell Lemond? --- heck with him , buy the Ciocc and ride happy ------ that Bianchi for 4 bills does not l look bad either
    Quote Originally Posted by catonec View Post
    of the bunch Id look at the ciocc first.

    a small ding in the tube probably isnt an issue.

    the lemond looks janky
    Thanks for your input!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •