Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61
  1. #1
    BRS
    BRS is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    1971 Schwinn Super Sport with all original parts?

    Hello every one i am new to this forum i just joined last night! Im opening this thread because i recently bought a Schwinn Super Sport off of CL and got it for $300 the guy who i bought it from said that it was a bike the family had sitting in the garage and he hadn't really done any work on it. He said all the parts were original and after examining the bike it looks that way. Can any one look over the pictures i took and tell me if i missing parts or if any of the parts have been replaced? I also need some advice on upkeep, the bike has a few nicks in the paint around the crank shaft. The bike has lasted 40 years and i want to make it last another 40 this will be my first time fixing up a bike and i look forward to learning from you guys.


    pictures:










  2. #2
    Senior Member Chrome Molly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    I lose count...
    Posts
    1,593
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks completely original to me, even the bar tape. Some added parts, but nothing appears removed. Original high flange wheels, with replacement tires. For the light nicks, I would just find matching touch up paint unless you see actual rusting. Repack the bearings occasionally and ride it on sunny days, and you'll get another 40 years out of it.

  3. #3
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    9,864
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    1971 Schwinn Catalog

    and

    Schwinn catalogs, 1971 - 1980

    ...I'm pretty sure your saddle is an upgrade, I think I'd leave it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by CKey_Cal View Post
    Lawlessness is illegal.

  4. #4
    BRS
    BRS is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chrome Molly: I checked and i dont see any deep enough to rust mostly just light scratches. Do you know if there are specialty paints to match older model bikes?

    3alarmer: thanks for the info ill check them out.

    Would you guys sudjest i upgrade any of the parts? From what ive heard the components on the back of the bike make it heavier than it needs to be but im not sure replacing parts for weight is worth separating the original parts i like the original look.

  5. #5
    OCD Moderator cb400bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo MI
    My Bikes
    1985 Trek 770, 2006 Cannondale Synapse, 1976 Viscount Aerospace Pro
    Posts
    7,999
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS View Post
    Do you know if there are specialty paints to match older model bikes?
    http://www.hyper-formance.com/paints.htm
    Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

    Viscount Aerospace Pro Trek 770 Cannondale Synapse

  6. #6
    BRS
    BRS is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cb400bill: Oh cool thanks for the info.

  7. #7
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    9,864
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS View Post
    Chrome Molly: I checked and i dont see any deep enough to rust mostly just light scratches. Do you know if there are specialty paints to match older model bikes?

    3alarmer: thanks for the info ill check them out.

    Would you guys sudjest i upgrade any of the parts? From what ive heard the components on the back of the bike make it heavier than it needs to be but im not sure replacing parts for weight is worth separating the original parts i like the original look.
    ...the most common upgrade on these is to swap out the crank for cotterless square taper using an adapter,
    and maybe to upgrade the wheels, but if you like the look as is, that's how you ought to keep and ride it.

    The idea of lightening them up, while appealing, is kinda a fools errand.......it's never gonna be real light.

    Here's one that i found as a bare frame, so i was free to do all the modifications without pangs of conscience.
    It's a very fine riding bicycle, and enjoyable to ride. It will never be either fast or light.

    Schwinn Super Sport (60's) 001 copy.jpgSchwinn Super Sport (60's) 002 copy.jpgSchwinn Super Sport (60's) 003 copy.jpgSchwinn Super Sport (60's) 004 copy.jpgSchwinn Super Sport (60's) 005 copy.jpgSchwinn Super Sport (60's) 006 copy.jpgSchwinn Super Sport (60's) 007 copy.jpgSchwinn Super Sport (60's) 008 copy.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by CKey_Cal View Post
    Lawlessness is illegal.

  8. #8
    BRS
    BRS is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3alarmer: I might touch up the paint job and polish it up and get it close to looking new again dont think ill replace any of the parts. I really like the blue frame you have looks really nice. Will the bar tape last very long in normal use conditions and if not will it be hard to find matching bar tape?

  9. #9
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of love here for fillet brazed chromoly Schwinns. I got my '73 SS down to 26 pounds and it is a joy to ride.

    - Stan

  10. #10
    BRS
    BRS is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scooper: Hello scooper ive seen you comment on quite a few of the posts ive read arround the forums in the last few days. What parts did you replace to make the bike lighter and would you say it was worth it?

  11. #11
    SE Wis dedhed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400
    Posts
    2,263
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    ...I'm pretty sure your saddle is an upgrade, I think I'd leave it alone.
    Brooks was original equipment.
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

  12. #12
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    18,867
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    About the only thing original on Stan's Super Sport is the frame and fork. Crankset, derailleurs, wheels, freewheel or cassette, seat post, handle bars, brake calipers, integrated brake/shift levers, saddle, and stem are all upgrades. Even the seat post collar has been changed out. An upgrade to this extent would be very costly unless you are extremely resourceful.

    Stan cut about nine pounds off that bike, which is quite an accomplishment.

    Wheels and crankset are a good place to start on weight reduction, just those two alone will cost a fair amount.
    Last edited by wrk101; 04-27-14 at 10:52 PM.

  13. #13
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,958
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
    Or try the nearest fingernail polish display. Forest Green might be hard to match, but then I haven't been shopping for fingernail polish lately.

    You've got a heck of a find there. I've got about $300 into my Green Schwinn Superior project and I haven't even sent it out for paint yet.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  14. #14
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    9,864
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS View Post
    Will the bar tape last very long in normal use conditions and if not will it be hard to find matching bar tape?
    ...that sort of bar tape, believe it or not, seems to last forever, and is pretty washable.

    The major drawback to it is lack of padding, but you can just weatr padded palm cycling gloves, which is a good idea anyway.
    I use a gel corked bar tape that I get on sale at Performance, and wear gloves with padded palms as well, because I am worth pampering.

    I think you can still find various tapes of a similar look, but another member might be of help, because I use that black gel corked stuff mostly.
    Quote Originally Posted by CKey_Cal View Post
    Lawlessness is illegal.

  15. #15
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    9,864
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    I got my '73 SS down to 26 pounds and it is a joy to ride.
    ...I should probably weigh mine some day. But as you say, a joyful thing to ride. Downhill is especially fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by CKey_Cal View Post
    Lawlessness is illegal.

  16. #16
    Decrepit Member Scooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco California
    My Bikes
    Waterford 953 RS-22
    Posts
    8,951
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS View Post
    Scooper: Hello scooper ive seen you comment on quite a few of the posts ive read arround the forums in the last few days. What parts did you replace to make the bike lighter and would you say it was worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
    About the only thing original on Stan's Super Sport is the frame and fork. Crankset, derailleurs, wheels, freewheel or cassette, seat post, handle bars, brake calipers, integrated brake/shift levers, saddle, and stem are all upgrades. Even the seat post collar has been changed out. An upgrade to this extent would be very costly unless you are extremely resourceful.

    Stan cut about nine pounds off that bike, which is quite an accomplishment.

    Wheels and crankset are a good place to start on weight reduction, just those two alone will cost a fair amount.
    Bill summed it up nicely.

    Was it worth it? To me, yes, but it wasn't cheap. What I wound up with is a bike with ultra wide range gearing that's very comfortable on long rides, and that weighs about the same as my '72 P15-9 Paramount.
    - Stan

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,163
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can confirm that bike appears to be all original except for the tires. It even still has the original toe clips and straps. Because of the pedal reflectors and seat tube decal position I can tell it is a late '71 model. With an original unmolested bike like this I would not upgrade a thing. If you do upgrade anything I would highly recommend keeping all of the original parts intact.

  18. #18
    Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race dddd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    My Bikes
    Cheltenham-Pederson racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.
    Posts
    3,484
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metacortex View Post
    I can confirm that bike appears to be all original except for the tires. It even still has the original toe clips and straps. Because of the pedal reflectors and seat tube decal position I can tell it is a late '71 model. With an original unmolested bike like this I would not upgrade a thing. If you do upgrade anything I would highly recommend keeping all of the original parts intact.
    I agree with Metacortex here, that even the cables/housings should be kept for possible future restoration if you choose to modify the bike.

    I went to the trouble to find thin enough cables and cable liners to fit into my 1971 SS's brake cable housings, and kept the crankset, kickstand, wheels and derailers.

    I added a longer stem, 6-speed freewheel, modern chain and used the derailer claw mount from a different Allvit derailer to match the smaller freewheel.

    I also changed the bars, saddle and post, added lever hoods, clipless pedals and removed the "pie plate" protectors from the rear wheel and crankset. But it still looks like a Supersport.

    Scooper's bike was quite a project, very thorough, very modern, and very light! ...Obviously some of us really like these bikes.

    Here's mine under the lights, after dark:


  19. #19
    Trek 500 Kid Zinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane WA
    My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Posts
    2,465
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    There's a lot of love here for fillet brazed chromoly Schwinns. I got my '73 SS down to 26 pounds and it is a joy to ride.

    This is cool
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Fl.
    My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Posts
    1,292
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    1971 Schwinn Catalog

    and

    Schwinn catalogs, 1971 - 1980

    ...I'm pretty sure your saddle is an upgrade, I think I'd leave it alone.
    Original saddle, Schwinn Approved Super Sport Generator most likely installed during assembly. The front brake cable is run on wrong side of stem.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Hudson308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Land o' Lakes
    My Bikes
    fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, plus stuff from other places
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metacortex View Post
    I can confirm that bike appears to be all original except for the tires. It even still has the original toe clips and straps. Because of the pedal reflectors and seat tube decal position I can tell it is a late '71 model. With an original unmolested bike like this I would not upgrade a thing. If you do upgrade anything I would highly recommend keeping all of the original parts intact.
    +2
    These are getting harder and harder to find without any modifications done, and that saddle speaks volumes about how your example has been stored/maintained. There will always be bikes that are lighter/faster, but they don't make these anymore.
    "I'd rather have what I don't need than need what I don't have." -Fred Sanford

  22. #22
    Freewheel Medic pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trying to Ride in the NH Mountains!
    My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Posts
    9,246
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You found a great deal on a nearly pristine 100% original Super Sport! This is not one to modify but to enjoy as is. Grease, lube and go! As a fan of Super Sports and Schwinn fillet brazed, it would be my pleasure to service your freewheel and make certain it will last another 40+ years.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

    Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

  23. #23
    BRS
    BRS is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff Wills:Im not sure i want to use some thing like finger nail polish though i want to make it last a while. Maybe use some auto body Bondo if there are deep nicks i haven't found any yet but if i do when i take every thing apart and clean/polish the bike i might use some. Then find a paint that matched the original pant and go over the scratches.

    3alarmer: ok cool ill look into picking up some gloves when i take it in to the bike shop close to my house. Im going to have them look at my wheels since they haven't been trued up.

    Scooper: How much did you end up putting into the bike?

    dddd: Nice man where did you buy the leather looking rap for you front breaks?

    Hudson308 and pastorbobnlnh: Yeah i dont think im going to change any thing on the bike but i plan to take it apart, clean it, re-oil and polish every thing.
    Im considering using a buffer on the chrome parts of the bike thought i would check with you guys fist to make sure it wont hurt any thing.



  24. #24
    Senior Member Hudson308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Land o' Lakes
    My Bikes
    fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, plus stuff from other places
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS View Post
    Jeff Wills:Im not sure i want to use some thing like finger nail polish though i want to make it last a while. Maybe use some auto body Bondo if there are deep nicks i haven't found any yet but if i do when i take every thing apart and clean/polish the bike i might use some. Then find a paint that matched the original pant and go over the scratches.
    Hudson308 and pastorbobnlnh: Yeah i dont think im going to change any thing on the bike but i plan to take it apart, clean it, re-oil and polish every thing.
    Im considering using a buffer on the chrome parts of the bike thought i would check with you guys fist to make sure it wont hurt any thing.
    You don't want to use body filler, or even spot putty to fill the scratches. After wiping the immediate area with a little mineral spirits followed by rubbing alcohol (both on a soft cotton cloth), the idea is to carefully lay some paint in the scratch with a small artist's brush. Wait for that to dry for a day before laying in some more. Repeat until you're close to the level of the original paint. You'll never get it to completely disappear, but as long as the paint is close to a match you should be able to get it where the only people who notice the repair are the people you point it out to (read: don't point it out ).

    As far as blowing the bike apart to do a complete grease & polish, if you insist on doing that and you've never done this before, then do one assembly (say, start with a brake caliper or maybe the front wheel) at a time and reattach it before moving on to another assembly. Every experienced tinkerer here can tell you a story about the pile of parts they were handed that was once someone else's project. Like any used jigsaw puzzle there's always a piece or six missing.

    P1010847.jpg
    Last edited by Hudson308; 04-28-14 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added brake pic
    "I'd rather have what I don't need than need what I don't have." -Fred Sanford

  25. #25
    Senior Member 67tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    mid-Michigan
    Posts
    556
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh View Post
    You found a great deal on a nearly pristine 100% original Super Sport! This is not one to modify but to enjoy as is. Grease, lube and go! As a fan of Super Sports and Schwinn fillet brazed, it would be my pleasure to service your freewheel and make certain it will last another 40+ years.
    This, +10.

    Here's my '73, with very little original other than the frame and fork. With yours in such great original condition I would leave it as is. That would help it hold its value (in my opinion) as well.

    If you haven't seen it yet, here is a nice link to Sheldon Brown's take on your fillet-brazed frame:
    Fillet-Brazed Schwinn Bicycles 1938-1978


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •