Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Member american psycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Luzern, Switzerland
    My Bikes
    1972 Colnago Super, 1972 Masi Gran Criterium, 1973 Bianchi Specialissima Professional, 1977 Cilo, 1998 Colnago Monotitan, 2003 Klein Adept Race
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Late 60's Mondia Junior

    Got this for my son Lou , 7, who really wants a race bike. It's in pretty much perfect condition with Campagnolo shifting, Weinmann braking, Ofmega cranks, and other bits. 24" tubulars and original plastic bar tape.

    I'll be putting a better Group on this, together with Lou, and am undecided on a Nuovo Record build, or Chorus 9 speed with Brifters. It's hard to think of a kid having to unlearn shifting at the bars, but I suppose there's be a issue with rear spacing/cold setting especially on such a small frame.

    Enjoy...











    13889805637_a7cd367a0e_b.jpg13889832140_67182857d5_b.jpg13890048317_10cf350a2e_b.jpg13890075920_ab0f137058_b.jpg13890078280_f141982ea5_b.jpg14076661455_94544afa8e_b.jpg14077140844_d5fc5b8405_b.jpg14096475543_3f1afb6f51_b.jpg
    1972 Colnago Super, 1972 Masi Gran Criterium, 1973 Bianchi Specialissima Professional, 1977 Cilo, 1998 Colnago Monotitan, 2003 Klein Adept Race

  2. #2
    Senior Member mparker326's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    74 Schwinn Paramount P10, 88 Fisher Montare
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is sweet. Where did you find that? This is C&V, don't modernize that. Teach your kid to ride a real bike. If I was to do any upgrading, I would put a NR rear derailleur on it.
    Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,525
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mparker326 View Post
    That is sweet. Where did you find that? This is C&V, don't modernize that. Teach your kid to ride a real bike. If I was to do any upgrading, I would put a NR rear derailleur on it.
    As a parent working with my young one to ride may I suggest the following:

    Get a set of inline "cyclocross" levers. Most 7 year old's hands are just not big enough and strong enough to brake safely from the drops and or hoods, even with junior levers which are a must. So, go aero levers.
    Go dual pivot brakes, same thinking. Safety.
    As to gears it really depends on the child. Some can pick up friction shifting pretty fast. For some the moving the hands to the down tube and keeping control is a thing for when they are 10-12 yrs old.
    Integrated shifters have a problem of the reach will be too large to grab the brakes probably and the throw of the shift action might be too much too. Think about how long their fingers are.
    Grip Shift. or EPS with time trial type button controls might be an answer.
    I found it took a while for mine to remember to continue to pedal and shift at the same time.
    Use toe clips and straps, when you go clip less, go with a mtb double sided SPD pedal.
    Even when the straps are not cinched down the clips will help place the foot in the right spot, increasing safety.
    I started mine with the saddle too low and raised it over time as they became comfortable with being on the saddle and not being able to touch the ground.

    Teach them how to ride a straight line, cars have an easier time when a cyclist rides in a predictable flowing fashion.

  4. #4
    Senior Member american psycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Luzern, Switzerland
    My Bikes
    1972 Colnago Super, 1972 Masi Gran Criterium, 1973 Bianchi Specialissima Professional, 1977 Cilo, 1998 Colnago Monotitan, 2003 Klein Adept Race
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tips. I've sen the inline levers before and will try to sorce a set.

    For shifting, I'll try bar-end style to a the fingers out of the spokes.

    Toe clips at first, dual pivot is a bit of overkill - Record brakes work for 36 kilos.

    i'll stick with old-school upgrades, updating the thread as they are done.

    It's his 5th season biking, so handling skills are a non-issue, and he has the required respect for cars.

    can't wait for the rain to stop!

    Quote Originally Posted by repechage View Post
    As a parent working with my young one to ride may I suggest the following:

    Get a set of inline "cyclocross" levers. Most 7 year old's hands are just not big enough and strong enough to brake safely from the drops and or hoods, even with junior levers which are a must. So, go aero levers.
    Go dual pivot brakes, same thinking. Safety.
    As to gears it really depends on the child. Some can pick up friction shifting pretty fast. For some the moving the hands to the down tube and keeping control is a thing for when they are 10-12 yrs old.
    Integrated shifters have a problem of the reach will be too large to grab the brakes probably and the throw of the shift action might be too much too. Think about how long their fingers are.
    Grip Shift. or EPS with time trial type button controls might be an answer.
    I found it took a while for mine to remember to continue to pedal and shift at the same time.
    Use toe clips and straps, when you go clip less, go with a mtb double sided SPD pedal.
    Even when the straps are not cinched down the clips will help place the foot in the right spot, increasing safety.
    I started mine with the saddle too low and raised it over time as they became comfortable with being on the saddle and not being able to touch the ground.

    Teach them how to ride a straight line, cars have an easier time when a cyclist rides in a predictable flowing fashion.
    1972 Colnago Super, 1972 Masi Gran Criterium, 1973 Bianchi Specialissima Professional, 1977 Cilo, 1998 Colnago Monotitan, 2003 Klein Adept Race

  5. #5
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,935
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by american psycho View Post
    Got this for my son Lou , 7, who really wants a race bike. It's in pretty much perfect condition with Campagnolo shifting, Weinmann braking, Ofmega cranks, and other bits. 24" tubulars and original plastic bar tape.

    I'll be putting a better Group on this, together with Lou, and am undecided on a Nuovo Record build, or Chorus 9 speed with Brifters. It's hard to think of a kid having to unlearn shifting at the bars, but I suppose there's be a issue with rear spacing/cold setting especially on such a small frame.
    No, you shouldn't have any trouble spreading the triangle from 120mm to 130mm. Shimano Tiagra brifters are adjustable for small hands:
    Product

    That being said, I remember seeing those Mondia Junior bikes back when I worked at Euro-Asia Imports. You have a gorgeous example. (Not sure about the green tires, though.)
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •