Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-14, 08:38 PM   #1
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch
Thread Starter
 
onespeedbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
10 years of Campy small parts gone?

I went to the Campagnolo official site to check the 2001 small parts catalog Documentazione / Download - Support Campagnolo and it's gone! The Campagnolo site used to have 1994 to current, now it starts at 2006? Am I missing something? Are we now SOL?

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 07-20-14 at 08:45 PM.
onespeedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 08:45 PM   #2
ofgit 
Senor Puppet
 
ofgit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NELA
Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Read the title and figgered this must be about a 'senior moment' where in you misplaced your stash of old parts. Been there myself.
__________________
Old Fat Guy In Tights.
ofgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 08:47 PM   #3
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士
 
oldskoolwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado USA
Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If Campy is using the same methodology of 'planned obsolescence' that Shimano subscribes to, then it very well could be the case.
oldskoolwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 08:53 PM   #4
rootboy 
Senior Member
 
rootboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wherever
Bikes:
Posts: 15,746
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
It's a conspiracy. Against C&V-ism.
rootboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 08:59 PM   #5
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 8,744
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench View Post
If Campy is using the same methodology of 'planned obsolescence' that Shimano subscribes to, then it very well could be the case.
So if you were ever in charge of a business, how long would you support your products? Should Campagnolo still manufacture replacement parts for the cambio corsa?
iab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 09:04 PM   #6
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士
 
oldskoolwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado USA
Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iab View Post
So if you were ever in charge of a business, how long would you support your products? Should Campagnolo still manufacture replacement parts for the cambio corsa?
I don't know... should Shimano still manufacture replacement parts for Light Action M series components? Deerhead Deore XT? Lark? In fact, do they?
oldskoolwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 09:37 PM   #7
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch
Thread Starter
 
onespeedbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iab View Post
So if you were ever in charge of a business, how long would you support your products? Should Campagnolo still manufacture replacement parts for the cambio corsa?
We are not talking about support in the sense of makimg the small parts available, the vintage small parts catalogs are more of a road map of the history of Campagnolo. One would think if you advertise a business on the mystique of your past accomplishments and you have made these catalogs available for 10 years or so, it wouldn't take that much server space to keep it there for future Campagnolo collectors. Regardless I found the catalogs at retrobike Catalogues Page 2 | Campagnolo Archive | Retrobike

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 07-20-14 at 09:42 PM.
onespeedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 10:21 PM   #8
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orangevale CA
Bikes: '76 Paramount, 02 Hardrock, '98 C'Dale XR800, '04 Burley Samba, '15 Priority Classic
Posts: 5,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Mercedes will sell you any part for any SL but not sure if it's true for their other models...
Darth Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 10:29 PM   #9
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Bikes: '14 Trek 1.1, '10 Fuji Finest 3.0, '98 Cannondale R500, '88 Trek 360
Posts: 5,028
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
...... The Campagnolo site used to have 1994 to current, now it starts at 2006? Am I missing something? .....
Yes. Your missing that the way back machine regularly backs-up the entire internet (no joke). It's all always and forever preserved like a digital museum.

Here you go... you may want to capture those PDF files: http://web.archive.org/web/200712230...?did=c&sec=srv

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 07-20-14 at 10:34 PM.
Dave Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 10:45 PM   #10
headloss 
Senior Member
 
headloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Western PA
Bikes:
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Timing of this thread is incredible... I just used the wayback machine the other night to backup all those lovely pdfs.
@Dave Cutter, you beat me to it! Great resource!

On a side note, despite the archive courtesy of the internet archive, I still made a point to send an angry letter to Campy regarding the website change.
headloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 01:44 AM   #11
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch
Thread Starter
 
onespeedbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
Yes. Your missing that the way back machine regularly backs-up the entire internet (no joke). It's all always and forever preserved like a digital museum.

Here you go... you may want to capture those PDF files: Ricambi (PDF) - Sito ufficiale Campagnolo - Componenti Biciclette
I decided to capture the catalogs on my blog if anyone is interested. Vintage and Ergo Campagnolo: Campagnolo Spare Parts 1994-2008
onespeedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 02:14 AM   #12
Elev12k
Senior Member
 
Elev12k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: (Koga) Miyata, WTB, Fat Chance, Mountain Goat, Grove, Verlicchi, Rafty, Panasonic, Vitus, Gazelle, Batavus, Zieleman, Presto, Peka, RIH, Reus, Vittorio, Simon, Duell, Fongers, Concorde, Alan, Zebrakenko
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Mercedes will sell you any part for any SL but not sure if it's true for their other models...
Yes, they will. If they don't stock it, they will make a new run.
Elev12k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 04:46 AM   #13
Michael Angelo 
Senior Member
 
Michael Angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hurricane Alley , Florida
Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.
Posts: 3,768
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
I decided to capture the catalogs on my blog if anyone is interested. Vintage and Ergo Campagnolo: Campagnolo Spare Parts 1994-2008
Thanks for posting this.
Michael Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 06:06 AM   #14
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 8,744
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
We are not talking about support in the sense of makimg the small parts available, the vintage small parts catalogs are more of a road map of the history of Campagnolo. One would think if you advertise a business on the mystique of your past accomplishments and you have made these catalogs available for 10 years or so, it wouldn't take that much server space to keep it there for future Campagnolo collectors. Regardless I found the catalogs at retrobike Catalogues Page 2 | Campagnolo Archive | Retrobike
Maintaining a website has costs. Also, most, if not every, Campagnolo catalog is available from a third-party source. No reason for Campagnolo to expend the resources.

Not everyone is obsessed with the past.
iab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 08:15 AM   #15
headloss 
Senior Member
 
headloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Western PA
Bikes:
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iab View Post
Maintaining a website has costs. Also, most, if not every, Campagnolo catalog is available from a third-party source. No reason for Campagnolo to expend the resources.

Not everyone is obsessed with the past.
I'm sure that that the capacity of 58 pdf files was breaking the bank...

Having that information was a nice touch and spoke volumes for the brand, regardless if it was available to another source. Someone at Campy apparently thought so, until recently.

Who said anyone was obsessed with the past? Why the need to insult people? Do you feel better now?
headloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 10:12 AM   #16
jiangshi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 917
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headloss View Post
I'm sure that that the capacity of 58 pdf files was breaking the bank...

Having that information was a nice touch and spoke volumes for the brand, regardless if it was available to another source. Someone at Campy apparently thought so, until recently.

Who said anyone was obsessed with the past? Why the need to insult people? Do you feel better now?
For a guy who has a lot of very old bikes, iab can be very intolerant of others obsessions with old bikes.
jiangshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 10:18 AM   #17
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Posts: 17,057
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
3D printing will help solve the replacement bits problem.
__________________
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 01:56 PM   #18
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Bikes: Cheltenham-Pederson racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.
Posts: 5,069
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
3D printing will help solve the replacement bits problem.
Let me know how the material holds up for a run of those 8s freehub threadless axle bearing cones.

An out-of-stock part, apparently hopelessly difficult to replicate, since there is demand but no supply.

Seriously, 3D printing is one thing, while processing metal to high levels of surface hardness is quite another.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 01:59 PM   #19
fender1
Senior Member
 
fender1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Berwyn PA
Bikes: I hate bikes!
Posts: 5,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Just buy some new stuff or find the stuff you need on ebay. No reason to get worked up. Companies change things all the time. The people in this forum are a better resource for parts and information, than any company website.
fender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 03:36 PM   #20
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headloss View Post
I'm sure that that the capacity of 58 pdf files was breaking the bank...

Having that information was a nice touch and spoke volumes for the brand, regardless if it was available to another source. Someone at Campy apparently thought so, until recently.

Who said anyone was obsessed with the past? Why the need to insult people? Do you feel better now?
It's more likely someone at Campy needed some extra disk space, probably for new 2015 model stuff, and decided that the catalogues were probably not used anymore, and deleted them, figuring that 2006 on, might be useful.

Doesn't mean that the parts are no longer available, although companies do sometimes do SKU cleanups, where they dump very old inventory, so they can delete the SKU numbers, as the parts database can get extremely large. It costs money to maintain parts in inventory, because the $ value of those parts is tied up. I think though that 3D printing is going to make things interesting, because a company can maintain very old parts as data files, rather then physical inventory.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 03:43 PM   #21
rootboy 
Senior Member
 
rootboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wherever
Bikes:
Posts: 15,746
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Heck. 1994 aint "vintage" anyway. :~
rootboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 04:36 PM   #22
nlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 9,997
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
It strikes me that the Campagnolo brand is largely based on its history.
nlerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 10:19 PM   #23
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch
Thread Starter
 
onespeedbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
It's more likely someone at Campy needed some extra disk space, probably for new 2015 model stuff, and decided that the catalogues were probably not used anymore, and deleted them, figuring that 2006 on, might be useful.

Doesn't mean that the parts are no longer available, although companies do sometimes do SKU cleanups, where they dump very old inventory, so they can delete the SKU numbers, as the parts database can get extremely large. It costs money to maintain parts in inventory, because the $ value of those parts is tied up. I think though that 3D printing is going to make things interesting, because a company can maintain very old parts as data files, rather then physical inventory.
Those spare parts from the 1994-2008 catalogs have not been available from Campagnolo a long time; if you want spare parts it's best to go with BranfordBike.com: Custom Road Bikes, LOOK, Zipp, Enve, HED, Merckx, Calfee, Lynskey, Accessories, Apparel; Seattle/Bellevue Campagnolo Pro Shop or
Ochsner International - Internet Store. The point behind the vintage spare parts catalogs was not to try and purchase replacement parts, but a reference to identify components. At this point I'm just glad they are available somewhere else..
onespeedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 08:38 AM   #24
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Bikes: too many
Posts: 27,137
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlerner View Post
It strikes me that the Campagnolo brand is largely based on its history.
True, but that's not an entirely bad thing. For the most part, Campagnolo is not much of an innovator any more, and they are in the embarrassing position of being the copycat. Well, they're probably not embarrassed about that. At times, there are still a few -- not many -- reasons to choose Campy over Shimano, so I'm glad they still exist and are succeeding.
__________________
Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 PM.