Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member 1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    My Bikes
    Cinelli SC 1971, Daccordi 1985
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Last years of frame pump in big races?

    We are all told that in the old times riders had to be more self sufficient, having the bike equipped with a frame pump and carry at least one spare tire. When did all this end? 50s or mid 60s?

    Changed rules? If not it would probably have been a slow fade.
    Does anyone have the details about this?

    This thread could also be called, when pampering started in cycling.
    I am looking for an early 70s Fiamme Red label wheelset on Camp Record LF.
    Fiamme research institute: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/781480

  2. #2
    Fast+Bulbous thinktubes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,889
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at old pics, I would guess 1957. Cool question, I'm sure someone here knows.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jeirvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    Too many to count. No wait: eight. I have eight bikes.
    Posts
    1,716
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many gradual changes, but 1923 was key:
    "In 1923 the rules were changed to allow riders to swap parts instead of repairing them. This is a monumental change in the character of the Tour de France. Before, bad luck reigned as the supreme arbiter of the race. Now, perhaps the race might be more of a test of the athletic prowess of the riders."
    http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdfhistory.html
    The man who dies with the most toys…is dead. - Rootboy

  4. #4
    Senior Member 1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    My Bikes
    Cinelli SC 1971, Daccordi 1985
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @thinktubes, not a bad guess
    @jeirvine thanks for more info

    I've just watched a documentary about Coppi and Bartali. In some races they carry everything and in others just a water bottle. So the decline seems to be nonlinear (rules changed at different times in different races?). But at the end of their carriers it looks like they just carried water bottles. But I can be wrong on this, need more material.

    There is usually a focus on the winners and the famous top riders. But when was the transition complete? When didn't even the last rider carry a frame pump?
    I am looking for an early 70s Fiamme Red label wheelset on Camp Record LF.
    Fiamme research institute: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/781480

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,980
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1987 View Post
    @thinktubes, not a bad guess
    @jeirvine thanks for more info

    I've just watched a documentary about Coppi and Bartali. In some races they carry everything and in others just a water bottle. So the decline seems to be nonlinear (rules changed at different times in different races?). But at the end of their carriers it looks like they just carried water bottles. But I can be wrong on this, need more material.

    There is usually a focus on the winners and the famous top riders. But when was the transition complete? When didn't even the last rider carry a frame pump?
    I think you also have to consider the existence and utility of following cars. That has changed over time and venue. No quick support will push one to self sufficiency. In races like the Paris Roubaix, the roads are so narrow that the wait for a wheel or bike could be quite long.
    One also has to look at if the race was a point to point or circuit race.

    Way back the riders in The Tour had to be self sufficient, and were limited in the number of waterbottles they could consume! Cannot figure that one out. A racer could stop at the town fountain and tank up there though... Brings a whole different take on tactics.

  6. #6
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    22,307
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Your talking Pro Racers right? When I tried to race in the '80s almost everyone at the USCF starting line had a pump or CO2.
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  7. #7
    Senior Member SJX426's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Va
    My Bikes
    1972 Motobecane Le Champion(totaled), 1973 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, 1983 Colnago Superissimo, 1984 Trek 610, 1984 Trek 760, 1994 Burley Duet, 1988 Pinarello Tre Cime, 88 Masi Gran Corsa (Frame), 1991 Pinarello Montello, 1997 Specialized RockHopper
    Posts
    3,764
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not all the tanking was at the fountain! Some was in the wine shop.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeirvine View Post
    Many gradual changes, but 1923 was key:
    "In 1923 the rules were changed to allow riders to swap parts instead of repairing them. This is a monumental change in the character of the Tour de France. Before, bad luck reigned as the supreme arbiter of the race. Now, perhaps the race might be more of a test of the athletic prowess of the riders."
    http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/tdf/tdfhistory.html
    Unfortunately it seems now we are into how can they can cheat with Performance Enhancing Drugs and not get caught

  9. #9
    Senior Member 1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    My Bikes
    Cinelli SC 1971, Daccordi 1985
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    Your talking Pro Racers right? When I tried to race in the '80s almost everyone at the USCF starting line had a pump or CO2.
    Of course
    I am looking for an early 70s Fiamme Red label wheelset on Camp Record LF.
    Fiamme research institute: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/781480

  10. #10
    Senior Member RobbieTunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    16,988
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Breaking Away, 1979.

    Robbie ♪♫♪...☻

    What day was Soylent Red?

    1986 Centurion Ironman
    1987 D'Arienzo SLX
    2004 Cinelli XLR8R2
    2014 Wraith Hustle
    2015 Wraith Paycheck (pending)

  11. #11
    curmudgineer old's'cool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago SW burbs
    My Bikes
    2 many 2 fit here
    Posts
    3,267
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
    Breaking Away, 1979.
    I think I get it
    Geoff
    "I think that I think, therefore I think that I am"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •